PDA

View Full Version : Question for Army regards Red Book and Civvy Employ

4PON4PIN
7th Feb 2007, 22:03
Is an ex-NCO obliged to show evidence of his "Red Book" details in support of an application to a potential employer offering a Managerial Post in a Civilian environment not inolved with Military/Government/Policing concerns?
Application for position shows no military referees but supposing "matey" had terminated military employ under "unusual" circumstances how would the Employer determine this in our PC-driven world?
many thanks for any assist and apologies if Danny finrds this in an inappropriate Forum.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Feb 2007, 22:53
Sorry, if you're an aviator; fair shout. If anyone can help; and I can't, have a think? I, for one, think he deserves some thought but I'm not infallible. Kameraderie?

Always a Sapper
7th Feb 2007, 23:34
Wouldnt know 4PON4PIN, however having left in 2002 I have never been asked for it, just got the brief details on the CV and no probs so far, been a good job though as I'm still waiting for mine!!! :(

RE Records couldna organise one of them Brewery events if they tried... :E Its in the post is about norm now when they get the regular whing.... :suspect: Still, get the regular beer token top up though .. :D

Roadster280
8th Feb 2007, 02:00
I don't think any job applicant is obliged to provide references, whether military or not. The employer on the other hand, is free to ask for references, and if the applicant fails to provide satisfactory references (or even any reference at all) then the employer is clearly likely to view this in a dim light.

To answer the basic question, I do not believe the ex-NCO is obliged to show his "red book", though you are free to request it.

You could also enquire of the Army directly:

http://www.army.mod.uk/contacts/divisions/records.htm

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2007, 05:52
An employer can ask for references, and one purpose of the red book was to show a prospective employer that the bearer had been continuously employed by HMG, and not inside! If an ex-soldier does not have one, or does not wish to show it then there are legit questions for concern.

The next step would be to ask him for names of personal referees, including his most recent Coy Commander or equiv. Manning and Records will only tell you that he served, they won't divulge his reason for discharge.