PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Taxation Petition

L1A2 discharged
7th Feb 2007, 18:37
Hi Peeps,

Link sent to me today, http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/ (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/), it needs a few more signatories if you agree with it that is.

It affects members of the forces directly due to the number of us that travel regularly

MoDs, if this is not a suitable forum please move it!

TIA
L1

dhandaulat33
27th Dec 2007, 06:01
Hi friends, if I travel to other states, and buy something locally, I am asked to pay a state sales tax. However, if I buy something from a firm over the internet, I don't have to pay sales tax. If the basic principle of taxation is that you are given government representation in exchange for those monies but I am ineligible for benefits in other states because I am not a citizen there. Should I still be made to pay their sales tax?

ambidextrous
27th Dec 2007, 20:13
L1A2,
You're a little late with this, it closed on 20th.February 2007 & our former PM (remember him Tony who?) responded before he left office!
with fraternal greetings, ambi:ok:

Whirlygig
27th Dec 2007, 20:20
For those of us in the UK, if you travel to another country (non-EU) and you purchase goods there, there is often a local sales tax included in the price. This can be reclaimed at the country's customs as you leave the country as there is no sales tax on exported goods (note goods, not services). That is why when you purchase goods over the internet from a non-EU country, the sales tax is automatically deducted from you.

So there is equality if you can be faffed with reclaiming the sales tax at customs when you leave!

Cheers

Whirls

Bo Nalls
27th Dec 2007, 20:35
Ambi, I think you'll find the thread was started on 7th February 2007, 2 weeks before the petition closed. ;)

The question I have is why d33 thought to reply to the OP 10 months later with a very tenuous link rather than start his own thread :confused:

AIDU
27th Dec 2007, 23:33
It affects members of the forces directly due to the number of us that travel regularly

It affects every citizen of the UK who travels regularly and not just the members of the Armed Forces. It is not a directly aimed at the military.:ugh:

Daysleeper
28th Dec 2007, 06:03
Its also 10 Months old and closed down...