PDA

View Full Version : CofG Accident Reports

TiPwEiGhT
6th Feb 2007, 21:49
Hi guys, can anyone lead me to, or possibly tell me about any accidents they know of which have been caused by flying with CofG out of limits and/or being over-weight?

Thanks in advance!

TiP:ok:

topendtorque
7th Feb 2007, 08:33
Yep, from the wilds or North Western OZ comes this yarn from quite some moons ago.

A mustering pilot goes to town for a blow out and a 100 hrly.
After a job well done on both counts he heads back to his machine, possibly still in a bit of a daze. He has been asked to fetch some supplies from town to the next mustering camp where-at he will be working.

He loads these supplies plus his swag and personal gear for the next month out bush and fires up.

When he is ready to haul ass, that is what he does.

A cursory look around, jerks the magic stick up a ways and the A/C rotates neatly around the front of the skids and goes nose first into the firma terra. Luckily for him all he did was write off one machine and not damage any of the others or the valuable infrastructure close by.

It appears that the full fuel, swag, persoanl gear, spare oil, fuel pump, toolkit and survival gear may well have been close to AUW.

Add to that a big bag of spuds, onions, couple of drums of flour, tea, sugar, salt, tobacco and possibly a lady or two of the night for the boys out bush ~ or so the story went when we heard it ~ and it was easily established that both the C of G and AUW were grossly abused.

Mind you if he'd had half an ounce of brains he could have felt it up and concluded well before the red face that followed that things weren't quite the real McKoy.

Oh and yes, it was an R22.

C of G
7th Feb 2007, 16:44
I may have put on the odd pound or two but it hasn't led to any accidents.

helicopter-redeye
7th Feb 2007, 18:35
There was a UK aircraft one (FW) involving an Otter or Islander (or similiar) in NW Scotland where the CoG was out of limits backwards so the flare resulted in the mother of all wheelies.

I cannot locate the report at present (GTS use in the M&B paper) but I think it was within the last 4 years.

h-r;)

Curtis E Carr
7th Feb 2007, 20:35
Does this (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Eurocopter_EC_120B,_EI-IZO.pdf) help?

Arm out the window
7th Feb 2007, 21:53
This is a good one, although it's fixed wing - details may be wrong, but some of the PNG long-timers may be able to confirm or deny.
A Nomad (twin fixed wing) was taking off out of Madang (I think) with a load of coconuts poorly secured. Accelerates down the runway, rotates, coconuts all roll down the back and throw the CG way behind where it should be, machine stalls and crashes.

mrpinga
8th Feb 2007, 00:31
can't be nomad they don't accelerate that fast :}

TiPwEiGhT
8th Feb 2007, 01:28
Thanks so far guys, great help. Am mainly looking at helicopter incidence/accidents relationg to this topic, but all is helping! Keep them coming!

TiP:ok:

rotorrookie
8th Feb 2007, 01:53
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178582&highlight=crash+in+york

check this one out