PDA

View Full Version : Any aircraft hire at Tenerife North?

vulcanpilot
6th Feb 2007, 17:17
have been googling to try and find out of there is an aero club based at Tenerife North where I could hire a 4-seater such as PA28-161 or 181 for some airbourne sight-seeing. Am having no luck in finding any information.

Am going over in June staying in Puerto de la Cruz so we are much nearer TFN than TFS.

Cheers.

VP

TMPFICH
6th Feb 2007, 19:42
VP,
I think you may be out of luck, the nearest School to rent from is in Gran Canaria, www.aeroclubgrancanaria.com .
I believe all the aircraft on Teneriffe are privately owned, Binter Canaria do flights relatively cheaply between the islands around 35-40 euro from memory so it is still an option if you are Kean.
I stand to be corrected however there is a chap who uses pprune under the name of El Grifo who is based in Lanzarote who may have more up to date information.
El Grifo, sorry if you do not wish to become involved in this.
Cheers

100LL
6th Feb 2007, 19:57
Yes their is a club and School at Los Rodeos Real Aero Club Tenerife (http://ractf.e.telefonica.net/) Was there a couple of weeks ago doing some work. Nice setup good restaurant but the security is a bit OTT. You need to get Airside to get in which is a pain. Seem to have all he usual stuff Pa28's couple of Arrows and some Technams dont know if the Aircraft are leased off Aerotec as most of them carry Aerotec's markings.

vulcanpilot
6th Feb 2007, 20:42
Ah, excellent. I found an out of date reference to the aero club but no links! Need to bash Babelfish to translate properly but there doesn't seem any info on self-fly hire. If push comes to shove, I am more than happy to go up with an instructor and Mrs Vulcan can sit in the back :}

Thanks for the link 100LL - is a CAA 'brown book' + passport enough to get past security or are we talking 5-bar eppaulettes and a hat with lots of scrambled egg on the peak? :ugh:

VP

100LL
6th Feb 2007, 20:49
Dont know, Did some work on a DA42 out there, A bit of spanglish goes a long way tho the security guards are a bit daunting.

If you Email them or ring them up and arrange a meet, somone should meet you at the gate. A passport is a must tho, Brown book might come in handy.

The Girl on the front desk speaks good english (cant remember here name). Give em a ring. Not flown out there but by all accounts the views are stunning and most if not all the Islands have airports.

vulcanpilot
6th Feb 2007, 21:07
Thanks 100LL. Really useful info, and glad to hear the YL on the desk can speak English, as being a typical Brit, I can only just get by with Franglaise - no way with Spanglish other than Ola and Cafe con Leche in a West Country accent!!

They have an email address, so may give that a go before making a complete nob of myself phoning them.

Am just looking to do some local sightseeing as the island is stunning, particularly as its volcanic. Flying up and over Tiede will be a no-no as its over 10k feet high - been up there on the cablecar and you can certainly feel the lower Oxy content.

Cheers,

VP.

Newforest
7th Feb 2007, 09:16
100LL

All of the islands now have the benefit of airports.

VP

You almost need oxygen at the summit ofTEIDE, a headache is often the minimum result of the ascent.

Dave Gittins
8th Feb 2007, 12:45
Have flown a few times from TFS in 172s belonging to Lanza Air but they seem to have retreated back to Lanzarote. One of the aeroplanes I have used is on their web-site EC-GLL. They also used to do banner towing over Los Cristianos with a C172-200 EC-GRR.

On the two occasions when I have flown up the coast from TFS to Santa Cruz, TFN has been in solid IMC, so you may have to choose your days well to get a flight - it may also be a amtter of picking the time of day. The North often has cloud from the air descending in the lee of Tiede.

Best of luck .... being rocky and volcanic, you won't find many places for a FL if the donk quits - other than getting your feet wet.

:ok:

Croqueteer
8th Feb 2007, 19:29
:) Just back from Gran Canaria today. I hired a PA28/180 for 50mins, cost 145euros, I flew with a safety pilot (David, who seems to manage the Real Flying Club). The a/c was in excellent condition, and apart from doing the radio in Spanish and reading the check list (written in Spanish) he left the flight entirely to me. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and there was no security probs at all. There is also an amazing collection of WW1 replicas there at the moment doing a flying circus show every Sat, which unfortunately I missed.

tinto-85
9th Feb 2007, 17:28
Hi do u know if the Cessna 150s owned by the the club in Gran Canaria were available to rent??

vulcanpilot
9th Feb 2007, 20:23
@David,

Yeah, I know about the North of the island - we stayed there two years ago and whilst the South was wall to wall sunshine, the north was misty/cloudy.

We're going in June so hopefully a couple of days will be OK.

No intention of doing a FL :} I think the wet feet option is probably only a marginally better bet - stick it on a beach next to a beach-bar :)

@Croqueteer,

Must say I don't fancy doing the radio in Spanish - think the idea of taking an instructor up is a good idea - checklist ... if its a PA28 something, I can take one of mine :ok: ATC must speak English though - can't imagine our commercial chaps being happy about chatting in Spanish! :eek:

checkpointcharlie
9th Feb 2007, 23:20
Hi VP

Just to re-enforce what else has been said I was there today and asked Iberia for a contact no:

Aerotec on +34 922 637 877.

Saw the PA28 . . EC-DSO, doing circuits.

Good luck.

Croqueteer
10th Feb 2007, 08:21
:ok: Vulcan, As I had an ATPL with no current medical plus an NPPL I needed a safety pilot, but as I am used to a competant lad in the right seat, I just relaxed and let him do the hard work. Most of the r/t was in English, but as all of the island is controlled, LPA required a costant update of our posn. so a local on board makes is easy.
PS The C152s did not appear to be available for casual hire.

vulcanpilot
10th Feb 2007, 09:30
@Checkpointcharlie

Thanks for the info and the confirmation - looks like it isn't going to be too hard to sort out. Will phone & email this weekend and see what I can sort out.

The Real Aero Club Tenerife website is a bit broken in places but I got the gist from the working bits.

@Croqueteer

:E - Seems a sensible move - think I will go up with one of their chaps just to do exactly that - I want to enjoy it, not worry if I've missed a radio call or inadvertantly insulted their grandmother :=

Thanks everyone for the help & info.

VP