PDA

View Full Version : Apache pilot ??

guitarwillie
6th Feb 2007, 16:48
Hi

I wish to join the aac ( as an officer ), but i've been told that i might only get 1 tour of duty, before being condemmed to a desk job. Is this so? And also if i can only fly untill i'm about 27, then can i just change corps and join say the infantry?

Thanks

GW

wg13_dummy
6th Feb 2007, 16:57
Yes to your potential flying tour span and not a hope regarding transferring out of the Corps later on.

If you want to fly, go to the Navy.

Rakshasa
6th Feb 2007, 17:12
Rotorheads here or the Aviation section of ARRSE might be good places to get info, too.

ChristopherRobin
6th Feb 2007, 18:01
Depends how old you are joining. You might get 2 tours initially and then a further tour as a squadron commander after 4 or 5 years on the ground.

You might be able to transfer elsewhere, but you probably won't want to relinquish your flying pay. You could then transfer to the RAF or RN (if it still exists).

Or you could go to the RAF or RN to start with and try and wangle an exchange tour.

The bottom line is - if you want to fly permanently in the Army, don't join as an officer. We are the only service that has non-commisioned aircrew. I've done a 5 year stint on the ground and I didn't like it at the time, but even I have to admit that it makes me a lot more employable outside the army in addition to my commercial licence (which you don't get gratis either, just in case you were wondering!)

But all that said - you won't regret it if you join the AAC - any part of the military that has 1.5% of the personnel and 30% of the budget can't be no fun can it?

mind you, it is 30% of not a lot come to think of it!

Faithless
6th Feb 2007, 18:52
"you won't regret it if you join the AAC" :bored: You re having a laugh old chap ....who you trying to kid? If you want to fly as an Officer then the AAC in NOT the place. In fact the AAC is not the place for anyone at the mo.:=

ChristopherRobin
6th Feb 2007, 19:17
Try reading the first line in my fourth paragraph faithless.

Faithless
6th Feb 2007, 19:27
Sorry old chap. I do have bad eye sight. Thats why ended up in the military whist out shopping soooooo long ago:{

guitarwillie
6th Feb 2007, 19:35
Is it only the army that do the apache ?

Thanks

GW

ChristopherRobin
6th Feb 2007, 19:45
Why not ask them at the first interview mate? They'll tell you all about it - they love curiosity like that. Oh and an inability to use google is a plus.

wokkameister
21st Feb 2007, 20:49
Good luck to you. I've just returned from Eastern climbs where we worked well with the apache guys. On the whole they were a top bunch, not to mention the fact they provide top cover with some BFG's