PDA

View Full Version : Fat32-> NTFS then resize a partition

Herc Jerk
5th Feb 2007, 17:41
Hi All,

Help and advice please before i dive head first into shallow water...

I have an Acer 3022 (bought in Asia version of the 12.1" screen dual core processor model ~6mths old). It was a mess when i got it as it had a bunch of chinese drivers installed so i reformatted and started fresh with the OS. Works fine now but the install came from within the computer itself as they don't provide a recovery disk- it lead me by the nose to burn my own recovery dvd.

Anyway, it came as FAT32 and again with the re-install (full format) i don't remember it allowing me the option of NTFS or i'm sure i would have chosen it as i have my other HD formatted that way.

So now i have an 80Gb HD that has 2 equal 35Gb partitions (and i guess 10Gb that is missing for now?). i'm at 30Gb on the main partition C and the D partition that called itself ACERDATA has one .log file in it. I've used my mark1 eyeballs to read help and see that Windows will reformat my drives to NTFS from FAT32 without erasing my data. At least i hope so. At least this would allow me to have >35Gb so i'm not running into a wall on the main partition.

My questions:
Is this safe to reformat my filing system "on the fly" so to speak?
Once i have done so how is the best way to resize the partitions?
Is there a benefit to keeping this partition or should i just get rid of it once i convert to NTFS?
I there any benefit to keeping the FAT32 filing system?

Ta muchly

HJ

spannersatcx
5th Feb 2007, 18:09
Convert to ntfs, delete the 2nd partition, then resize the main partition (c drive) need to go into compter management and then storage/disk management.

Saab Dastard
5th Feb 2007, 22:27
As with any such operation, ALWAYS make a back up of data BEFORE you start!!

No use saying "it should have worked" when it has already f**ked your HD.

Unlikely, but possible.

SD