PDA

View Full Version : X-wind Techniques

Seagull61
5th Feb 2007, 17:28
If anyone can point me to a previous thread on this, then please do so, cos I`ll be buggered if I can find it.

Anyway, since getting my PPL in the states back in September, I`ve been familiarising myself with the wet and windy weather that Europe brings at this time of year. All has been fine, but having not been taught the x-wind landing technique on my course i`ve since be struggling with getting everything under control when there`s a stiff wind blowing.

I`ve read about the crab it in then kick it, or the slip it method. And the latter is what i`ve been doing with my FI. It just isn`t clicking, and my biggest fear is getting into some ground loop - as I have a tendancy of not maintaining the inputs after i`ve touch down and apply the power.

I know i have got to bash the x-wind circuit before I am comfortable and I guess this is a downside of the extensive PPL in the states, but if anyone has a few pearls of wisdom, then I would be most grateful....so I can test em out on Sunday......

IO540
5th Feb 2007, 18:27
You will get as many replies as people to this one.

Personally I do a crab approach i.e. wings level and no rudder use.

Then, during the flare I use the rudder to straighten the plane out**, and use opposite aileron to prevent sideways drift.

The landing is then on one wheel first (the upwind one) and after a bit the other one touches down.

** Normally, due to the very significant wind shear in the last few yards of height above the runway, the plane turns onto the runway heading all by itself anyway, and this turn continues due to yaw inertia. Applying the rudder at this point (and no earlier) works very well, because you are applying only as much as is needed.

Seagull61
5th Feb 2007, 18:29
SoCal,
Over your way in sunny San Diego. It was JAA and although we did sideslipping, it certainly wasn`t demonstrated down to the landing

Seagull61
5th Feb 2007, 18:33
I think it`s a matter of getting the right exposure and time in the saddle.

Recently its been every 6 weeks or so, and i`m not sure thats consistent enough to master it.

I`m happy with the technique - just wish they were a little more controlled!

Seagull61
5th Feb 2007, 18:37
Correct.

There wasn`t much of a mention of it, and certainly no trips out - although KSEE at times did have a wind across it. Being a student at the time, it was good not to have much wind, but in heinsight I perhaps wish i`d said something.

Still getting some good practice now......