PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Aramco

sob
5th Feb 2007, 14:26
I know I know there are pilots out there that love Saudi Aramco and those that hate them. I'm looking for info, where do the operate out of? IE There physical base location for off-shore flying. They seem to be recruiting at an alarming rate. That could be a good or bad thing.

Cheers
SOB

SASless
5th Feb 2007, 14:47
There are much worse places than Aramco. The Saudi Chief Pilot was a welcome improvement over the American he replaced.

It beats ADA for pay and accomodation, better pay than Gulf, better pay than Aero....and who would want to work for Evergreen.

It is Saudi however thus much different than the more liberal Gulf States.

gulliBell
5th Feb 2007, 22:13
Further to what SASless said, good deal if you're an ARAMCON, even with co-pilot only entry, but not anywhere near as good if you're a contractor "consultant" pilot. Yes also, the Saudi CP is a decent chap when measured by any standard.

sorath5
6th Feb 2007, 23:02
Are they hiring technicians?

rotor beetle
7th Feb 2007, 16:22
Sob,

they are operating out of Tanajib, NE Saudi Arabia, about 100 mls south of the Kuwait border, and Ras Tanura, further south.
Tanajib is the place where all pilots start working.
It's a very professional operation, good housing (you have your own small appartment for the time of contract, SAT, DSL), good equipment (A109E, B212/412, 214ST), good pay, not a tight scedule, excellent training, but you live in an isolated compound with no beer and no girls, thats the sad part.
If you can stand that and like flying offshore in sometimes harsh conditions temperature wise, its a good place, the best place to save money!!
As an aramcon you definatly have decent benefits but you live here besides your yearly vac.
Not everybodys dream!
They just hired a bunch of pilots, so they are not looking desperatly for pilots right now.

hope that helps

RB

rotor beetle
7th Feb 2007, 16:30
sorath,
as far as I know they are on the look for qualified techs. You need an FAA ticket and experience on the types.

RB

Tocus24
16th May 2007, 08:48
Hi all,

I am looking to apply to Aramco as 737 FO, does anybody have any contact info for the flight ops dept?

Much appreciated

Aser
16th May 2007, 10:36
Tocus24,

take a look
http://www.jobsataramco.com/home/Job.aspx?CATEGORY_ID=1

;)

LCDRP
4th Jan 2008, 20:11
I have checked all the threads in a search on SA and have not seen much talking to RW employment. Some good stuff (a year old) on the FW side though.

A few questions:

1. Can you be hired into a permanent position as a RW pilot? Or do you have to work as a contractor with no assurance of a permanent position?

2. Do they have any restrictions on age or previous experience? I'm 50 and previous (current) military.

3. What kind of currency do they like to see? I'm recalled to active duty and have not seen a cockpit for a few years, although I will be current when/if I apply.

4. Any problem hiring single guys? Been over 10 years since I've had an anchor.

5. Any possibility of flying both sides of the fence with SA? I am ATP rated for both FW and RW.

6. If I do decide to apply, what kind of lead time do I need to plan for if hired?

7. What is the hiring process for SA? Paperwork, Interview (questions, sim, tests?), Travel?

Thanks for the help here. Time to start thinking about getting back into the workforce and I thought a change of venue would be nice.

sorath5
6th Jan 2008, 19:01
You might find some answers at this web site. Good luck.

http://forum.aramcoexpats.com/index.php?sid=4d225d3d5c33d85487f003937b7c61c5

LCDRP
7th Jan 2008, 01:10
sorath5,

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, very little information offered on the site. The search function is inop, and specific questions receive very general answers if at all (mostly not at all, unless you are asking about shipping a car or what the furniture in housing is like). I don't think the site is used much. Most forums only receive a couple of dozen threads a year and many of those don't even receive answers to the questions.

Still looking for answers...

John Eacott
7th Jan 2008, 01:53
LCDRP,
Have you followed any of the links at the bottom of the page, to "similar threads"?

LCDRP
7th Jan 2008, 19:01
"LCDRP,
Have you followed any of the links at the bottom of the page, to "similar threads"? "

Been through all of them, even the ones with no replies. A bit dissappointing I must say. All these members and so little information. If, and when, I do get any information, I will post it back to this board. I am sure there are folks out there that are curious about the vacuume that surrounds the job market at SA.

Ferrit
7th Jan 2008, 21:40
Try Abu Dhabi Aviation and apply online if you meet the reqirements and like what you see you are in. Good luck fly safe

fluffy5
9th Jan 2008, 17:35
I trained a few aramco pilots in 2006 and the general view that you would intially go in as a contractor if you were not a national.

fluff

gulliBell
9th Jan 2008, 21:59
I think the man was specifically asking about Saudi Aramco, as opposed to ADA. Having worked for both, I can categorically say they are completely different operations and operators in many aspects.

Why not talk to them directly? If you don't want to talk to the CP or the FC's at this stage, give the crew room a call and fire your questions at the guys. They are a great group of people, very friendly and I'm sure they'll be helpful.

GB.

LCDRP
11th Jan 2008, 00:44
Folks,

I want to thank you all for the input so far. I think we are a bit thin on info, although I appreciate the input thus far. I will continue searching on other venues and will post back here as I get more info.

LCDRP

rotor beetle
11th Jan 2008, 15:31
LCDRP,

They don't hire directly, but if you are a "good" guy, the chances to get a permanent position are pretty good. They retire with 60 in general but a few guys got an extension for one year.
You need at least a commercial ifr, if you fly as a captain they want you to get your ATP.
You'll go through a comprehensive training for about a week before you start flying the line, most likely as SIC on the 212/412.
Some guys went directly to the 109 but they had previous exp. on these aircrafts.
As far as I know its not possible to fly both, rw and fix wing, completly different unit, contracts, locations and schedules.
Not a bad company at all, but flying is boring and for a single guy not many options to spend your time off.... (Families live in a different community.!)
They hired a bunch of guys to permanent, and they are not looking desperately right now. If you want contact infos PM me.

Cheers

RB

ZLIN 242L
6th Feb 2008, 16:09
Hi there, I am a commercial pilot, holding my IFR rating and Multi-engine endorsement. I am curious to know some of the flying you do at Saudi Aramco, the details, the requirements. Would you be able to help me out?
Thanks a lot.

funderrc
7th Feb 2008, 11:07
I am the Training Unit Supervisor for Saudi Aramco. Yes, Ralph, I am still here. 16 years and going strong. We did move from Charlotte and now live in Fort Mill, SC. Can still see the skyline from the upstairs Media room.

If you are interested in coming to work for Saudi Aramco as a helicopter pilot and hold a FAA ATP Rotorcraft Helicopter License and have, at the minimum, 3500 hours helicopter Pilot in Command time, then send me a pm.

For those of you who sing the blues about the contractor verses Aramcom, we converted 5 pilots over to direct hire status in 2007. We have made three offers this year and have several slots left.

For those of you who are concerned about the "hiring at an alarming rate" apparently you have not heard about oil being $100 a barrel. DUH!!

Spread da Aloha
6th Apr 2008, 09:57
What are the trips like? What kind of cities, who do you fly around? How long are the overnights? What is the configuration of the airplane? How many seats in the back? Are the aircraft registered in USA or Saudi? How much time off in the compound?

Aloha

ScubaPilot77
2nd Aug 2008, 12:58
I am searching for helicopter pilots, knowledgeable about working for Aramco, willing to share oppinions and experiences. I have posted to the Middle East forum with no success attracting replies.

My wife, a Registered Nurse, and I (an ATP Helo) are very interested in Aramco employment and are seeking the answers to some specific questions:

1. I have seen Aramco helo job advertisements listing 3500 helo PIC as a "requirement". Is this a true, bedrock minimum PIC hour requirement, or is this like many companies -- they advertise for what they would like, but given the worldwide helicopter pilot shortage, will take someone otherwise qualified but with less hours than ideal?

2. What is the current Aramco helicopter fleet composition? I read recently that the Bell BH-206 aircraft were being replaced with Augusta AW-109s. Has the replacement been completed?

3. Is it possible to be hired as a husband and wife team as "permanent" employees, instead of as "contractors"? Any opinion on whether a pilot and nurse, husband and wife team would be considered an attractive combination to the company and more likely to get hired?

4. Any general information on the current compensation and retirement package? Not looking for proprietary information but a general sense of the compensation for a US-expat helicopter pilot and how many years are required to earn a retirement.

5. An overall assessment or opinion on working for Aramco and any advice on negotiating the hire process.

Thank you.

Japessebas
16th Dec 2008, 23:44
I am looking for some information on working for Saudi Aramco.
Anybody out there a current or former employee?
Can you send me a PM with any info you have in regards to the lifestyle, work environment, pay, and aircraft or any other info you might have.
Many thanks

gulliBell
16th Dec 2008, 23:55
The search function is your friend, give it a try, it will lead you to here (http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/83879-saudi-aramco-all-you-need-know-about-threads-merged-8.html):

Japessebas
17th Dec 2008, 00:11
I am still scanning thru the search material, alot relates to the fixed wing stuff. I was hoping for alot more info on the lifestyle, I should have mentioned I have a wife and child looking to move too.
From what I understand going in as a contract pilot is not so good.

Troglodita
18th Dec 2008, 07:20
It is Saudi however thus much different than the more liberal Gulf States

SAS - liberal my Ass - I tried to access this thread sitting in the Business Class Lounge at Dubai Airport yesterday morning - it was "blocked" by the server - obviously too emotive for the tender ME sensitive souls regardless of the innocuous content.

I think I prefer incompetence and insecurity to hypocrisy!

Trog

SASless
18th Dec 2008, 12:53
Trogs lad,

While working for ARAMCO....I decided to research a trip to Rio with the idea of doing a survey to determine if Thongs there are too small or not.

Everytime I tried to google "Brazil" it got killed....."B....R....A....BEEP!"

At one time I considered smuggling in a Sears and Robuck catatlogue....or perhaps a really racy Penny's Catalogue....but I guess next to proffering Bibles that could get one chucked into Nick really fast like.

ubaid123
27th Jan 2009, 19:55
hI GUYS I NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ARAMCO OPERATIONS CONTROL / FLIGHT DISPTACH DEPARTMENT , CAN SOME ONE PLEASSSSE HELP

copterfamily
4th Feb 2009, 20:50
I have spent some time searching the old threads for Saudi Aramco and have read them all. I am seriously considering a career here but would like to make contact with someone who has just been there or is currently working there. I have a family who would come with me, so people who know about the family stuff would be even better. I meet all the pre-requisites for the company, but it's the life choices I need to decide on.

If you are willing to share, could you PM me with your e mail address and I'll get in contact. Thanks.:ok:

fluffy5
5th Feb 2009, 16:38
I would, and I would not. I would if your single and wish to live like a monk, I would not as you live in an enclosured compound, no beer , no women , no anything..... unless you cross the bridge !
I trained a few aramco pilots for their fAA ATPL the pay is average, I get better here in the UAE. For those that are looking for better cash, and from europe you will get better cash in the UAE, with experience.
Saudi is a still a nice hot bed of a hostile enviroment, they have had only one compound overun by a few worked up locals in last few years.

fluffy

gwelo shamwari
22nd Nov 2009, 18:03
Does anyone have contact details for Aramco aviation wing. The chief pilot, hr rep., etc...

I heard they are hiring but I can not wind any information on their website.

Thanks in advance.

TGZ

Phil77
22nd Nov 2009, 18:42
No jobs posted for expats, but the "Contact Us" link in the "Jobs & Careers" section isn't enough to start with? :confused:

Saudi Aramco :: Contact us (http://www.saudiaramco.com/irj/portal/anonymous?favlnk=%2FSaudiAramcoPublic%2Fdocsnav%2FJobs+and+C areers%2FContact+us&ln=en)

gwelo shamwari
23rd Nov 2009, 01:08
Thank you for the link... unfortunately I have already tried the "Contact US" with no reply, hence the request for a direct contact...

Thanks for the info though.

funderrc
23rd Nov 2009, 11:09
If you need any information concerning Saudi Aramco, you can send me a PM.

We are no longer hiring contract pilots. All pilots are hired as direct hire. This means that you (and your family) have to move to Saudi Arabia.

Savoia
22nd Jun 2010, 09:40
AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that Saudi Aramco has taken delivery of three more AW139 medium twin helicopters during an official ceremony held at AgustaWestland’s Vergiate plant in Italy. These aircraft will be used to support oil and gas operations in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.aviationnews.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/AW139_Aramco.jpg

PatMcgroin
26th Jun 2010, 12:06
What are you doing on line??? You are supposed to be sick! I hope you do not have a headach... I don't think you could survive that much pain.

rumline
10th Feb 2011, 23:48
Salutations...

I see SAramco is looking for helo drivers.

I have looked through the forums and there seems to be a dearth of good info regarding a few key points I searched so I wonder if some ppruner's might be able to help out.

I currently hold a Canadian ATPL & appx 8000 total RW time (appx 5700hrs multi on/offshore) and am rated on B212/412 , SK-76 C++ as well as a litany of smaller types.

Any info on the following would be greatly appreciated.

1) SAramco asks for an FAA ATPL...would they entertain Canadian ATPL?

2) Is it still policy to hire someone as a 'consultant' then have them sit in indeterminate period of time before being offered a full time position?

3) Any info on wages / living conditions for both types of employment.

Appreciate any help on this and feel free to PM.

spinwing
11th Feb 2011, 04:15
Mmmm ....

The requirement for an FAA ATP is because ALL of their aircraft are operated on the 'N' register ..... so your canuk license won't do .... perhaps a trip across the border would be in order.

:}

Enjoy the magic Kingdom .... it sure is different!

funderrc
11th Feb 2011, 10:42
Spinwing is correct; you must have a FAA ATP and meet the posted requirements in the advertisement. All applicants must submit their applications through the ASC website.

All pilots are brought over as direct hires and you must move (family also) to Saudi Arabia. We do not use consultants anymore.

We have been informed by our lawyers that this is all that we can discuss publicly. Yes, we even have lawyers in Saudi Arabia
:D

rumline
12th Feb 2011, 01:38
Gents...
Thanks for the replies and the good gen.

A quick look regarding conversion of TC-ATPL to an FAA - ATPL looks pretty straight foward.

Medical...Docs...Exam...

I did spend almost 2yrs in the litter box up in the north-east region (Al Khafji) so the idiosyncratic aspects of life in Saudi are pretty familiar to me..including knowing that there must be A LOT of bread baking going on....given how an entire shelf at the local supermarket is devoted to little packets of yeast!:E

I am glad to hear that they no longer hire 'consultants' but rather, full time positions. Living where Ward and June Cleaver might feel right at home is pretty attractive at this point in my life..!

I haven't been fortunate enough to snag a 139 checkout...but have heaps of 76 C+ (EFIS) and even more 212/412 time. Would this be an issue? Feel free to opine...

If possible, may I PM you regarding other questions?

Cheers

RL..

Epiphany
12th Feb 2011, 06:06
You will have few problems with the FAA ATP exam. Just learn the questions like everyone else - no understanding required. Working with Americans in Saudi Arabia? Sounds like hell on earth to me. They say every man has his price but that is a combination that no amount of dosh could compensate for. Bon chance mon ami.

Joebootx
3rd May 2011, 16:39
I keep seeing that Saudi Aramco is looking for helicopter pilots. Anybody happen to work for them on this forum? Would be interested in any input about the position. Thanks.

gulliBell
4th May 2011, 00:30
I keep seeing that Saudi Aramco is looking for helicopter pilots. Anybody happen to work for them on this forum? Would be interested in any input about the position. Thanks.

I worked there for a year, but as a poor cousin contractor pilot doing more work for a lot less pay than the genuine Aramco pilots doing the same job as me.

I found the operation very professional and, particularly from the camaraderie aspect, I enjoyed my time there. The cultural aspects are, at least initially, more challenging than the job itself, and the intensity of summer is something you just never get used to! Although now I expect all their helicopters have air conditioning, whereas before the old 212's had none.

The fact that their pilots, on average, tend to stay there for a very long time is testament to the fact that it's a pretty good job. Certainly it's smiles all round come pay day.

If you can get hired as a permanent ARAMCON then I say go for it! I'd certainly go back there if the opportunity presented itself.

gulliBell
4th May 2011, 07:20
Thanks GulliBell,
...but can't figure out where the pilots live vs the family.

Google is your friend. Try RAS TANURA (family/pilot, live) and TANAJIB (pilot only, work).

SASless
4th May 2011, 11:27
EP shows his stupidity!:mad:

Working with Americans in Saudi Arabia?

Aramco is a Saudi firm.

Last time I checked....the Chief Pilot was a Saudi.

He was also a vast improvement over his American predecessor who never got out of the PHI mindset.

Aramco is a good place to work now....good living conditions, good pay, excellent benefits, new aircraft, great retirement.....but it is in Saudi with what that entails, and really hot humid Summers.

It is by far without a doubt...the best offshore flying job in the Middle East.

funderrc
15th May 2011, 05:59
Thank God I am retiring next year with over 20 years with the company. I just do not understand why they don't tell us that we are contracting out!
Oh well, I will just take my wheelbarrow full of money and go home to the big house on the hill in SC.
By the way, some really nice comments from previous employees. Believe it or not, even Sasless worked for us. Is there anyone that he has not worked for? Beware of him, he is from NC and everyone knows, nothing good comes from the North!

Rennie

Joebootx
15th May 2011, 13:13
Well, that is sad to hear Saudi Aramco is closing their helicopter division. I have heard plenty of good and bad about flying over in that part of the world in the last couple of weeks. They seemed like a pretty good group compared to similiar operators in other countries. Hard to beat company owned flight departments.:(

JB

Emrbgns
17th May 2011, 16:14
Wow...that changes the plan eh?

SASless
17th May 2011, 22:21
Rennie,

It takes a lot of courage for a Sand Lapper to impugn a Tar Heel's manhood....perhaps you beat too much Georgia Clay agin your noggin years back!

Among the places I did not work....was PHI. I was tickled mightily to hear the yarn told of a new pilot's reply to the Chief Pilot's (Old Time PHI guy)....question of "You ever work for PHI?"

To be told...."Not until I hired on here at Aramco!" which I hear runined the CP's dinner.

You might tell the folks about how Aramco came to have the un-stabilized Bell 212's.....and how the rationalization was the aircraft would not be operated in IMC/IFR "weather" conditions.

I was so impressed with the story....I changed my room name to "Sasless"!

Come sailing when you get a chance....Rum is ready....Beer is cold!

funderrc
18th May 2011, 02:36
There is some truth to what Sasless is saying and Ralph, do not be surprised if I take you up on the sailing and drinking invitation.

By the way, I was just joking about the "Aramco going contractor" rumor. We, at Aramco, have never heard of a "10 year plan". We are busier than ever and the company is opening new offshore gas fields.

Please do not believe everything you read on forums. There is a reason why most contributors to the forum will not use their name.

Rennie

Joebootx
19th May 2011, 12:51
Well hopefully their flight department will stick around. Kinda sketchy when people post total opposite views.:ugh:

rumline
7th Jul 2011, 19:14
I see SA is recruiting again.
I posted earlier and received some good gen on converting a Canadian ATPL to a FAA equivalent ...seems pretty straight forward.

What I am interested in is salary....as I see one opportunity for a training capt...

Should I shuffle off to Buffalo and visit my friendly FAA examiner before applying?....or would SA offer a letter of intent which would be sufficient impetus to carry through the slog to convert..

many thanks for any and all info

Global 500
13th Nov 2011, 07:41
I just want to give you a good piece off advice.If you have a good education and if you are qualified enough then Do not even consider to go to Saudi Aramco.The life on the compound sucks it is like being in jail.
Though the pay is ok, but I am sure there are similar well paid jobs out there in the Gulf.
I have been there my self so I know what I am talking about.
If you don't want to be a member of the AA shortly then don't even consider SA.

Joebootx
19th Nov 2011, 13:19
Who is the AA?

Epiphany
19th Nov 2011, 13:26
At a guess Alcoholics Anonymous.

hihover
20th Nov 2011, 08:30
Nahhh, can't be, sure it's a dry country.:=

A-V-8
18th Mar 2014, 19:47
I have applied to Saudi Aramco. I am trying to contact someone directly in the flight department with some questions. Primarily "Are you willing to consider someone without a type on the aircraft you operate for open positions?" If you have contact information can you PM me please.

Me: FAA ATP
Not current on a plane. I teach at a flight school in a LVL D sim.
CL-65 Type and DA-2000 type.
7000 TT
2500 PIC

spinwing
27th Sep 2014, 00:13
Mmmmm ...

There is already one Aramco sub-contract job being done by ADA on the Red Sea coast of NW Saudi ....

Its already been in operation for a year or so ... Old news I'm afraid ... :D

Update: I have just been informed (reliably) that Gulf Heli will be putting 3 machines into Saudi (for Aramco) very soon ... stay tuned ...

aramcawy
14th Sep 2016, 00:17
Its been a while since someone wrote anything here. I work in Saudi Aramco and very happy to answer any questions related to the jobs or the company.

Most of the info in this thread are outdated. We have new management, new aircraft on its way. I am sorry to say though that the weather is still the same and probably will never change and will never ever get used to it especially in the summer.

heliwatcher
15th Sep 2016, 16:47
Just out of curiosity, what kind of new equipment?

tottigol
15th Sep 2016, 19:40
More of the same.

AUTOPILOT2
20th Dec 2016, 16:37
What is hiring procedure for B737NG Pilots ? I am FAA B777,A330 & B737NG Type rated .
Thanks

gulliBell
21st Dec 2016, 00:35
The recruitment process is explained on their recruitment portal:
Overview - Recruitment - Saudi Aramco (http://www.aramco.jobs/Recruitment/Overview.aspx)

212man
21st Dec 2016, 08:52
What is hiring procedure for B737NG Pilots ? I am FAA B777,A330 & B737NG Type rated .
Thanks
They don't appear to be recruiting any pilots right now, so it's probably a moot point.

eczlk91
23rd May 2017, 19:42
Hello, I received an invite to apply to Saudi Aramco a while ago while I was in an AW-139 refresher course. At the time I was in the army and could not get out, but the time has arrived and I would like to know how to apply for a position in the company. Any information would be helpful. I am qualified in the AW-139 and the Blackhawk. I have about 7500 hours of helicopter time and also another 2500 in King airs, and citations.

Thank you,

Dale

nowherespecial
24th May 2017, 08:52
As gullibell noted a while ago, the website seems to be as good a place as any. I searched 'Helicopter'
https://apply.aramco.jobs/jobs?page=1&keywords=helicopter
Try linkedin as well to find an adult there who might know more about future requirements.

soldwholesale
9th Jul 2017, 00:32
No hiring any expats for the distant future, contract work only. Lots of turnover, hostile leadership and poorly maintained machines. There are better options elsewhere.

gulliBell
9th Jul 2017, 09:09
No hiring any expats for the distant future, contract work only. Lots of turnover, hostile leadership and poorly maintained machines. There are better options elsewhere.

Surprising. Things must have changed a lot since I worked there in 2000/01. I was going to have a crack at getting back in once I get my AW139 ticket in November.

soldwholesale
19th Jul 2017, 11:33
The past 2 years have seen a complete change in the department - none for the better. If you know anyone there you should reach out to them for the brief before you consider a possible return.