PDA

View Full Version : Starting Heli Flying

chileconcarne27
4th Feb 2007, 19:32
Hi, new to this particular forum (usually found in FW areas).

I had an epiphany moment the other day, whils handling a helicopter in STN. Not only did the pilot look super cool, he also demonstrated some seriously good flying and i thought 'that's what i want to do!!'

Now, i know a lot more about FW and absolute squit all about helicopters so i'm hoping that someone here might point me in the right direction for where i might begin.

I'm presuming it starts with a trial flight but where do i go from there? How much is a PPL(H)? How long does it take to train? How much is a commercial heli licence? How long does that take? Can you do heli flying and fixed wing without compromising yourself/safety/aircraft etc?

Any help would be so much appreciated...as i said, it was an epiphany moment so i may be barking up the wrong tree completely.

Many thanks in advance

Chile

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2007, 20:00
There is a wealth of information on the internet to get your teeth stuck into; try Googling for some helicopter schools. However, to get you started, in a nutshell:-

A PPL(H) is a minimum of 45 hours and is a similarly structured course to the PPL(A) with respect to theoretical exams. However, be prepared for it to take longer than 45 hours.

Hourly costs are, on average, about £250 incl VAT and you'd typically learn on an Robinson 22 or Schweizer 300.

A commercial licence involves sitting the CPL or ATPL exams, building hours to 155 in order to take the 30 hour commercial course (35 if you haven't got the Night Qualification). So you could qualify as a CPL(H) on 185 hours.

A lot of helicopter pilot fly fixed wing as well so I wouldn't have thought that was an issue.

However, as a straight forward, vanilla CPL, you'd be unlikely to find any work so you'd either have to pursue an Instructor Rating and/or Instrument Rating.

Your best bet is definitely a trial lesson and try to spend some time at the school asking questions. Beware that some MAY tell you what you want to hear purely in order to get your custom so, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Cheers

Whirls

muffin
4th Feb 2007, 20:04
The ideal start is a trial flight, and the instructor will answer many of your questions then. Assume that it costs about double fixed wing and you will be in the right ball park. To get a PPL(H) will take you between 45 and 60 hours on average but you do get let off a few hours for having a PPL(A) already. Yes, you can happily fly both without compromising safety - bit like going to Europe and driving on the other side of the road really, as your brain can cope with the switch between f/w and rotary without a problem.
Others will no doubt point you to much more comprehensive answers on many threads in this forum.
If you do get hooked it will cost you loads but you will enjoy it.

Heliport
4th Feb 2007, 20:51
Click here for all you need to know about

Becoming a Helicopter Pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253856)