PDA

View Full Version : Tiscali trouble

cornwallis
4th Feb 2007, 16:28
I am on Tiscali's 8meg broadband service,but it took me several goes to get on the internet in the last week.It connects ok but it just won't find the server.The usb light on my modem sometimes flashes red as well.A relation who lives in the same area,also with tiscali is also having the same trouble!
Anybody else having trouble with Tiscali?

Keef
5th Feb 2007, 00:17
You might like to take a look here (http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php) and think about who should have your business as an ISP.

I'm in the process of transferring from Pipex (good 3 years ago, hopeless now) to UKFSN.

Flashing red lights do indicate something more serious than the ISP, though. Do you have ADSL filters in every telephone lead in the house? Otherwise, someone picking up a phone will zap your ADSL.

Once it connects, does it stay connected?

slim_slag
5th Feb 2007, 09:19
A relation who lives in the same area,also with tiscali is also having the same trouble!Are you both on the same exchange? The reason I ask is because Tiscali is one of the providers going into the unbundling market, and they might have problems with their equipment at your exchange. You can check by going to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php and following the links until you get the exchaneg page where it says "Local loop unbundling presence" and see if Tiscali is on there. Might not be the reason, but it also might explain your problems.

One is just putting broadband into a new house and I am avoiding the providers with an LLU presence in the local exchange. They are cheaper, but I cannot see an easy way to migrate if I have problems. I also have a suspicion of these new LLU operators getting it right when they are all fighting to get as many customers as quickly as possible and no doubt as cheaply as possible.

blackace
5th Feb 2007, 10:20
Keef.

That site is not independent so the survey cant be trusted, its paid for by Vispa so its not surprising that they figure high on their own survey.

But Tiscali's position is probably reflective of their competence. It seems that Tiscali have a very poor reputation for service.

Your problems however might not be caused by Tiscali, they might be being caused by BT, it depends who is running the equipment.

If your Red light is flashing that means you are not receiving an ADSL signal, if its connecting but not finding the server then its Tiscalis login service at fault.

I recently talked to a BT engineer and he complained that since the BB supply rules have changed a lot of ISP's are installing their own equipment in BT's exchanges and its causing a lot of problems.

Faults on lines can be caused by all kinds of things, if you want to completly isolate your side then take off the cover of your BT landline box, inside you will find to the bottom left a test socket, plug your modem into that with just a single filter. You will lose all your phone services but do it and test the line speed. If there is a dramatic improvement then the problem is in your house wiring. If there is no improvement then its safe to say either BT or Tiscali is causing you the problem, get an engineer round to sort it out for you, as you've proved its not your wiring you will not get charged for his visit.

Also make sure that you have no high RF noise producing equipment in your house or near your line before calling the engineer, that will kill any signal. The classic proof of this are Christmas tree lights, These produce high RF noise and always kill peoples broadband every year. Complaints soar and when the engineer arrives he turns off the lights and slaps a £100 bill on you for being an idiot. Trust me it happens every year.

Slim slag...thanks for that link, VERY useful.

cornwallis
5th Feb 2007, 12:02
Sometimes I connect and cannot get the server,other times it will not connect at all.Counting down the days before I ditch them.

slim_slag
5th Feb 2007, 13:25
If you are on a LLU then ditching them is not going to be easy. From everything I have read on the subject, if you want continuous broadband you will need to put another BT line in and start again on that one. Then you can get rid of Tiscali.

ATNotts
29th Feb 2008, 17:23
Resurecting this thread, I have spent nearly two months trying to encourage Tiscali to upgade my package (and thus earn more from my account). Having ordered the upgrade, I have spent lierally hours speaking to Indians of varying linguistic capability - and getting absolutely nowhere, on an 0871 number thats costs a fortune. The only way to get any sense out of them seems to be to call the 0845 accounts number, and press the option for cancelling a contract. This gets their attention.

But, incompetence isn't in it. I thought BT were bad, but Tiscali?

Based on my experience, if you get the chance to change to Tiscali - don't.

Anyone out there had similar experiences?

hellsbrink
29th Feb 2008, 17:30
I was once on Tiscali, BIIIIG mistake.

They are being bought out anyway, so that means things will probably get worse

frostbite
29th Feb 2008, 19:50
There was lots of bad publicity when Talktalk started and I'm sure they're not perfect for everyone, but my four months with them on TT2 International have been pretty good and, should I need to call their 0871 number it's free, as are all calls to TT numbers.

NRU74
1st Mar 2008, 09:56
Cornwallis
When I upgraded to the 'up to 8MB' Tiscali package I had a very similar problem - in my case it was because the original [Tiscali supplied] Sagem 800 Modem which I'd used on the 'up to 2MB' package wasn't up to the job and it either dropped the connection or I couldn't get on line at all.
I solved the problem by installing a Netgear DG834PN Router and I've had no problems whatsoever in getting on line nor have I had any dropped connections since.

Cornish Jack
1st Mar 2008, 12:05
Cornwallis - welcome to the club!!:yuk:
Having been with AOL for many years, their increasingly awful performance persuaded me to change providers. I opted for Tiscali and have lived to regret it ever since. From experience, in terms of utter incompetence, Tiscali are second only to TalkTalk and they (TT) shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the paying public. Awful doesn't even start to describe it. I was foolish enough (after much argument) to accept their assurances that there was nothing wrong with their line connection and I needed a new router. Bought it and ... yes, no improvement:mad::mad: Eventually after some three or four hours of increasingly bad-tempered conversation they agreed to check the line and managed to connect me again. Download speed is frequently on a par with dial-up and the 'help' line is as useful as motor-cycle ashtrays. I am still with them because the contract will cost me if I stop it before next month ... and then ... whoopee!! anyone. anyone at all, apart from the previously mentioned drongos. :p

P.Pilcher
1st Mar 2008, 12:39
There are plenty of posts around here (including mine) naming ISP's which, in the opinion of the posters concerned supply excdellent service.

P.P.

The Flying Pram
1st Mar 2008, 16:41
We have been with Tiscali for a year and a half now, and I have to say it has been pretty reliable. We get the 2Mb we pay for except for evenings when they do throttle traffic as others have mentioned. We've also had very little Spam. HOWEVER the couple of problems we did experience when they "Upgraded" our local exchange (LLU) confirmed how utterly useless their "tech support" is. It makes no difference whether you 'phone or Email. We certainly won't be taking up the offer of a phone service as well.

My main concern with changing to one of the smaller ISP's - who get such good reports - is how long many of them will be able to keep going in the current market conditions. They are all (as far as I'm aware) reliant on BT's wholesale service, since installing their own networks and LLU equipment is very expensive. If even major operators such as Tiscali are at risk of buy-outs what chance have the small guys?

Keef
1st Mar 2008, 17:01
The reality seems to be that they all start OK and go downhill. I'm on my third ADSL ISP. I changed each time when it got to the point that the helpdesk hadn't a clue. Each time I ended up talking to extremely polite Indians, reading from a script that didn't address the problem I had, and unable to depart from the script.

While blackace comments that the site I pointed out last year isn't independent, the outfit that he says sponsors it does come half way down the ratings. I chose UKFSN for my Essex home, based on that site, and have not regretted it for a minute.

If you look at where Tiscali comes on the ratings (all from users), you'll see it seems consistent.

PlusNet had problems, but to give them credit, they tackled those problems and the experience I've had over the past year in Norfolk has been excellent.