PDA

View Full Version : laptop cdrom won't read

Wing Commander Fowler
4th Feb 2007, 15:16
Hello chaps
am trying to repair my friends laptop but it's eating at me with this one. Firstly please don't bash me over this but he IS asking the impossible....... He's running xp (or should i say crawling) on a 533 mhz p111 with 192 meg of ram. Erhum - problem number one i hear you say.
Well anyway, I have it in hand to get him up to the bare minimum of 256 soon but in the meantime:
CDrom drive not seen in explorer - fixed that issue by uninsatlling and re installing. Now it will regularly see and play audio cd's but is VERY particular about data ones. IMHO bizarrely enough, it will read one that has been written though none that I can find that are original. Audio's as i say are ok? The drive spins up slowly and then gives up. Any help as ever greatly appreciated!

edited to say, removal and reseat of the drive in the bay appears to have cured it..........

Flying Bull
4th Feb 2007, 16:15
Hi Wing Commander Fowler,

CD-Roms in Notebooks have a hard life. They get bumped while running and so on. The laser is easily kicked out of track and then it would only read some or even none.
Put an external CD-Rom on, that's how I get over the problem on my old Notebook ;-)

Greetings "Flying Bull"