PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Holder Worried about Class 1

rotorspin
4th Feb 2007, 14:41
I have a class 2 Medical despite my hearing in my left ear not being perfect. Everything else is in working order (I think!)

My question is, if I went for a Class 1 medical and failed it due to my left hearing not being perfect, would they relook at my Class 2 and potentially take it away?

To risk never being able to fly at all privately for a chance at a commercial is stopping me from pressing forward!

Any help much appreciated!

Comanche250
4th Feb 2007, 15:14
Rotorspin

Dont worry about it! I have the same problem, albeit in my right ear. I was granted a class 2 as you dont need a hearing test and when I took the initial for the class 1 I was given a deviation. The deviation will be lifted when I get the CPL so I dont see you should have any problems, if your hearing is particularily bad you will just not get the class 1, and I stand to be corrected on this point, but you wont lose your class 2. My advice is go for the class 1 and persue the career, the only thing you have to be aware of is your hearing getting worse than the renewal limits later on in your career and then losing the medical, oh and you can only train on UK registered a/c.

Hope that helps

C250

rotorspin
5th Feb 2007, 06:20
cheers Commanche!

pcgavaghan
8th Feb 2007, 21:08
Hi, I mayhave read thei incorectly, but I also have a vested interest in this. As far as I could see from the FAA medical website, for a class 1, the hearing requirment is that you must me able to demonstrate your hearing ability by one of three tests, one of these being able to hear a AME's voice, with your back turned to the AME at a distance of 6 feet, using both ears. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks

Comanche250
9th Feb 2007, 14:05
Hi pcgavaghan

I think its a check done at renewal to see that your hearing isnt vastly reduced, I have had it done at every renewal so far and the only difference being that I have been asked to cover one ear at a time. This as far as I understand it is not a replacement for the full hearing test but its fairly difficult to carry out a full one at each renewal anyway as most AME's dont have the required equipment. FAA rules may be different but the CAA require a full hearing test at initial and then 5 yearly up to the age of 40 and 2 yearly over 40.

C250