PDA

View Full Version : Night VFR

Torquetalk
4th Feb 2007, 14:04
Just checking the ANO which states that:

"In the United Kingdom an aircraft flying at night:

(a) outside a control zone shall be flown in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules; or

(b) in a control zone shall be flown in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules unless it is flying on a special VFR flight."

This doesn't seem to leave much room for night VFR in uncontrolled airspace.

Some owners night equip their aircraft (notably R44s) and do indeed fly VFR in uncontrolled airspace at night. What am I overlooking in the regs?

Any enlightenment much appreciated.

thanks

TT

DeltaNg
4th Feb 2007, 14:33
Any one have a can opener handy? :}

helimutt
4th Feb 2007, 15:10
If you read what you wrote, you may just see what is required.

ie "In accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules".
You might just want to let it sink in and visit the regs where it tells what Instrument Flight Rules are.
It doesn't neccesarily mean flying IMC or even holding an IR. Why do so many people think flying IFR means in IMC?
:hmm: :ok:

Sudden Stop
4th Feb 2007, 15:15
This doesn't seem to leave much room for night VFR in uncontrolled airspace.

Some owners night equip their aircraft (notably R44s) and do indeed fly VFR in uncontrolled airspace at night. What am I overlooking in the regs?

I've probably missed your point but, VFR is NOT permitted at night, end of story. Visual approaches (IFR), SVFR in control zones but not VFR, not at night, no, no, no.... :=

Torquetalk
4th Feb 2007, 15:20
Thanks Helimutt

The "light" is beginning to dawn on me. Clear enough that IFR does not mean IMC and that most IFR flight is in VMC. Did wonder about any requirement to hold an IR in order to fly under IFR. Have not come across any requirement in print yet.

So no such thing as VFR in uncontrolled airspace at night in the UK, fly under IFR then...

alles klar

TT

helimutt
4th Feb 2007, 15:25
Now all you need to know is the exact requirements for SVFR!! Not a lot of people know those inside out either! Happy reading. :)

AlanM
4th Feb 2007, 16:04
.....and lets not forget that the Military (Not part of the ANO) can fly VFR at night!! :)

....ooops there go the worms out of the can:ugh:

cyclic
4th Feb 2007, 16:34
....that's 'cos the military can't fly IFR below 3000' - worms, more of..

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2007, 16:43
TT,
Under the UK ANO, pilots flying at not more than 3,000 ft are deemed to be complying with IFR provided they remain clear of cloud and in sight of the surface.

Alternatively, fly at least 1,000 ft above the nearest obstacle within 5 nm if you are able to fly IMC and choose that option.

Remember that the usual low flying rules still work at night....

In addition, fly quadrantals above 3,000 ft amsl (or above the transition level if higher).

N.B. The police may fly under PAOC "Visual Contact Flight" rules at night.

Torquetalk
4th Feb 2007, 17:03
Really helpful. Was in IMC but now clear of cloud and have visual reference with both the surface and the ANO ;)

Thanks. TT

Letsby Avenue
4th Feb 2007, 18:06
Errr.. my last 1000 hours at night certainly weren't flown under IFR..:} Is VCF mentioned in the ANO?:confused:

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2007, 19:24
Letsby,

No it's not mentioned in the ANO. Haven't you read it? :)

It's only in the PAOM, I think.