PDA

View Full Version : N Reg Add on

bullshitproof
4th Feb 2007, 09:30
Could someone please tell me the advantage of adding on an American Licence to a britsh PPL .What will it entitle me to do that i can not already do with my british one when flying an N REG aircraft

nigelh
4th Feb 2007, 09:50
There are a whole host of benefits getting away from the caa , as you can imagine. Some of the best are no type ratings so one checkride does the lot. No night rating as that is all done as part of your licence. You can fly the N reg abroad and IFR , if on your licence. A joy:D I would always advocate having an aircraft on the N reg for simplicity and cost. Of course if you dont really want to fly but have a huge appetite for filling in paperwork and answering daft questions like " do you intend to ever land off airfield ???" then go G- :rolleyes:

bullshitproof
4th Feb 2007, 16:17
Hi Nigelh
Thanks for that but I do land at private sites surely you are not saying N reg aircraft can not land at none airfield sites ! !.

thecontroller
4th Feb 2007, 16:57
having a FAA PPL will....

enable you to fly ANY N-reg heli under 12,500lbs - no need for costly JAA type ratings

in order to keep you licence current it means you will only have to do a FAA biannual flight review ("BFR") every 2 years. but if you fly the R22 or R44 you will be subject to the restrictions of SFAR73

see here (http://www.geocities.com/cfidarren/hsfar73.htm)

it means you can fly an N-reg at night without a JAA night rating

it means you are subject to the FARs - eg the "90 day passenger carrying rule"

it means you only need a (cheaper) FAA class 3 medical to fly n-reg aircraft. 3rd class medicals are also valid for longer than CAA class 2 ones

it means the n-reg aircraft you fly need to adhere to a simpler and cheaper maintenance program than g-reg aircraft

nigelh
4th Feb 2007, 18:24
yeah, well apart from all that , it does nothing :rolleyes: The bit about off airfield landings was one of the million daft questions asked to keep my G reg machine on an AOC .......

SASless
4th Feb 2007, 21:19
Is not a major difference (or one of the many paperwork drills required by the CAA/JARS/EASA) under the FAA system one does not have to have a Maintenance Manager overseeing the maintenance and only requires sign offs from engineers holding an A&P license with the IA authority?

CofA airtests become far less burdensome under the FAA system as well.

Pilot wise, for private /not for hire flying, it is much simpler as well. One must do a Flight Check (1179 ride ) every two years,which can be done with any FAA CFI licensed for the class and catagory of aircraft (CFI-H). Also remember no such thing as QHI, CFI and all that chin music) in the FAA System.

Your medical renews your license ....currency is done by flying ...stay current IFR and no annual checkride is required.

The Biennial Flight Check should be appropriate for ratings ,certificates (think License) , experience and Types (over 12,500 pounds). That ride can be in any helicopter but usually is preferred to be done in the most complex but not required. A proper Biennial flight check should exceed the eqivalent 1179 ride and in most cases amounts to something just shy of the initial Private or Commercial check ride with an extensive bit of ground work and quizzing about the aircraft, FAR's, Weather, flight planning, Weight and Balance, navigation, instrument procedures and the like.

Technically the Biennial ride is not a "check" ride but is more along the lines of certifying competence to exercise the privileges of your licenses. The ride should be as much instructional as to mere checking knowledge and ability.

Your insurance provider will also set requirements that might exceed the basic FAA minimums in order for you to be insured.

Given the choice of going N registry and FAA PPL in the UK or going the CAA route.....answer for me is simple. Usually if one can afford a helicopter in the UK, a trip to the States every other year is not a big expense knowing the Biennial Flight Check can be done in one day unless there are some hiccups.

HillerBee
4th Feb 2007, 21:57
You can do the Flight review in the UK as well. There are plenty of CFI's here. But your initial question was a ADD-ON to your JAA license. Just do the written and a checkride and you will have a stand alone FAA PPL.

That gives you all the rights and pleasures, and you can just let the JAA go.

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2007, 23:40
I hope so because I've done it! :eek: ..and with an instructor :} ...fly at night that is!!

Cheers

Whirls

nigelh
4th Feb 2007, 23:54
Now youve gone and done it.......now the caa know we are flying singles at night they will ban it.:D The answer is YES you can but only private because paying passengers are much more important , also you can fly into Battersea without floats because private passengers dont have such big wallets that make them sink every time a helicopter ditches in the river. ( unless you fly in at low tide where you can argue that there is always dry , well moist land to land on in case of one of those engine failures that keep happening ):ok:

HillerBee
5th Feb 2007, 04:51
But you have to find an airfield/airport with lighting. And the ones that have charge ridiculous landing fees!

nigelh
5th Feb 2007, 09:19
Why does the airfield require lights ? Is that just for AOC work ? I dont think they are necessary on private due to the fact that private passengers have better eyesight than paying ones.

bullshitproof
5th Feb 2007, 10:03
Well one and all thanks for all the info, and a good laugh to boot, I have just got myself an Add on but like Hillerbee says why not go the Extra mile and get a stand alone Where can I do the written paper in the UK ! !.