PDA

View Full Version : Nosewheel Turning Question

flying_flick
3rd Feb 2007, 20:09
Just wondering in basic Cessnas such as 172s or 182 what happens with the nosewheel during flight? If the pilot inputs rudder will the aircraft attempt to turn the nosewheel? I can't quite remember how the nosewheel steering is operated and don't have a manual nearby, however this question just popped into my head.

Cheers Flick

J.O.
3rd Feb 2007, 22:34
From what I recall (and it's been a very long time), the steering disconnects from the rudder when the oleo extends. This prevents the sudden surprise when the nosewheel touches down in a strong crosswind with lots of rudder deflection.

Tree
4th Feb 2007, 07:29
When the oleo extends there is a two part block on the scissor and strut that locks the nosewheel in the "straight" position. The linkage from the rudder pedals is via a spring mechanism (there is no disconnect-too complicated and expensive and unreliable)and the springs compress when rudder is applied but the nosewheel does not turn due to the lock mechanism.
When sufficient pressure is applied to the nosewheel strut to compress it on landing the lock mechanism releases and the nosewheel is now steerable.
If the strut does not contain sufficient nitrogen pressure(flat is the term) it will not extend after takeoff and will not lock and if there is any rudder input on landing the nosewheel will be "cocked" and the landing will be "abnormal!"

flying_flick
4th Feb 2007, 14:05
Cheers thanks for that.

aviatorchina
8th Feb 2007, 10:53
Because the linkage from the rudder pedals is relay on a spring ,so when we turn a angle on the holding point ,we should center the rudder before we use the breaker to stop the aerocraft! otherwise it will be very difficult to start turn to lining up R/W?

Piper19
10th Feb 2007, 08:25
On the other hand, if you inflate the strut too much, you won't have steering at ground as the lock stays engaged. I've seen this once, a pilot with the good habit of pulling back the yoke during taxi on soft field to prevent stress on the nose leg, but he didn't know the strut was overinflated. From the moment he gave some throttle the prop wash over the elevator raised the nose even further and the steering locked. This cam-lock system in the nose strut is the same on big pax jets as on cessna's by the way.

And to aviatorchina, the best method to center steering after a turn on runway line-up is to taxi down the center line in a straight line for a few meters.