PDA

View Full Version : Wireless printer/scanner

gingernut
3rd Feb 2007, 07:23
Me and Mrs Gingernut both have laptops which are connected to wireless broadband via a BT hub.

I'm thinking of buying a HP Scanner/printer- can it be wirelessly linked, and if so, what do I need for the job? I've had a look on BT help, but havn't gotten any joy.

slim_slag
3rd Feb 2007, 07:57
Google for "wireless print server" and take it from there

gingernut
3rd Feb 2007, 08:13
Cheers Slim

vapilot2004
3rd Feb 2007, 09:40
HP have several options in this area and their printers are excellent. Configuration is not always easy but there is the always pleasant curried helpline. :}

Any network ready printer could be added to your wireless by an addition of a network hub if the BT box does not have ethernet jacks. Should the box have the jacks, you are in business after some configuration.

Good Luck!

Saab Dastard
3rd Feb 2007, 13:03
On a business-spec. network scanner you can initiate a job from your PC, then go to the scanner, load the document(s), configure and start the scan, then return with the doc to your PC, where the results are waiting for you.

Such technology may have made its way down the food chain over the last 4 years!

SD

ORAC
3rd Feb 2007, 15:22
I have a HP 3310 (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/80000/hp-photosmart-3310.html), it has built in 802.11b/g as well as USB and 10/100 network.

You have to use the USB or network to configure the wireless, then it asks you to disconnect them whilst it sets up the wireless link. Thereafter you can place it where you like with no cables except the mains....

Temet_Nosce
5th Feb 2007, 10:03
I am looking also and found this one:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/243938/art/hp/deskjet-6980-printer.html

I know it doesn't scan but its wireless and its cheap!

TN

seacue
5th Feb 2007, 11:35
While we don't use the wireless feature, I volunteer at a place that has an HP "All In One" printer / scanner / fax with wireless connectivity. They do exist. I don't offhand know its type number. Not the cheapest in the World and I think HP sells a cheaper model with similar capabilities.

Herc Jerk
5th Feb 2007, 16:33
HP7410 All in One is HP's wireless G printer scanner. i have it connected wirelessly to a Belkin router that has 1 computer hard wired and the other sometimes wired sometimes wireless. the thing faxes, automatically double sided prints and is supposed to scan up to a 50 page doc from the auto sheet feeder.

but it doesn't as the software is cr@p. between the two computers i am up to the 5th (re)installation, two of which were on freshly installed OS's (xp). every time the scanning side goes tits up. it still prints etc (but even keeping this working on a home LAN is not for the faint of heart) and i can scan if i log in to the machine via its IP on my LAN, but that doesn't let me scan multi page docs.

i've been through the hoops with HPs online chat help and their eventual answer to everything is to un install & re install the HP director. hmmm... thanks.

if you're buying it with the idea of easily scanning multi page docs and clearing out all those old notes you been dragging around for years... don't buy it, get something else!

my 2c worth

HJ

gingernut
5th Feb 2007, 17:13
Thanks chaps, ended up buying a cable:)

Bought a HP C5180, from Costco, very pleased with, just scanning in the wedding pics!