PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Wise

MTBrulz
3rd Feb 2007, 00:48
Hi all, I'm a 29yr old ATP with 6000TT fixed wing looking for advise. I was offered by my employer to get my rotorcraft rating, they'll pay for everything and frankly I've always been very interested in flying choppers. I'd appreciate any advise on the upcoming training. Also, how long before I start flying commercially on my own?

Verbatim03
3rd Feb 2007, 01:17
Yes, don't call them choppers.

Heli-Ice
3rd Feb 2007, 01:37
Ehemmm!

Don't call them choppers in the UK!

You shouldn't have to worry about the flying training bit to much. it shouldn't take you more than 3 months based on fair flying weather. You only have to do some ground exams for the bridge exam bit and then all the flying hours, I reckon you could do with only 135 hrs. but check that for yourself with the CAA. This is in the JAR-FCL world.

Your best bet is either the CAA or the FAA with your questions.

IMHO you should take your employers offer right away, especially if you get paid while training.

MTBrulz
3rd Feb 2007, 01:50
Thanks for the quick response, sorry aout the ch!@#$$, forgot the UK term

Disguise Delimit
3rd Feb 2007, 03:09
OK, I'll bite...

Is "chopper" a peculiarly British term for something rude? Certainly has no negative connotations in Oz, we are proud to be chopper pilots. Even the police helicopter is known as the Pork Chopper.

quichemech
3rd Feb 2007, 05:18
Chopper is sometimes used to describe ones John Thomas:rolleyes:

As for your pork chopper, over here it might be referred to as a flying sty;)

Verbatim03
3rd Feb 2007, 07:11
Calling a helicopter a "chopper" isn't rude, its just received from some helicopter pilot's as a word from someone who is uninformed about helicopters (ie. 90% of fixed wing pilots and 100% of News Channels). Its kind of public terminology but not professional helicopter pilot terminology.

Whirlygig
3rd Feb 2007, 07:43
"Chopper", in the UK, is a slang term for .... men's bits :O :O . So yes, use of the word in the UK could cause some sniggering but also plenty of scope for some old-fashioned double entendre e.g. "how big's your chopper"? I'd not heard of "pork chopper" - that's just downright funny ... and even more worthy of a good chortle!

Anyway, back to the original question. If your employer is willing to pay for a helicopter rating (and your use of the word "rating" makes me think you might be FAA), he must have some idea how he's going to use your qualification. As soon as you pass the skill test and exams, you can be a commercial helicopter pilot, flying on your own.

Cheers

Whirls

Farmer 1
3rd Feb 2007, 08:11
If you are in the helicopter business, then Mr Verbatim's explanation is correct. It is like calling a 747 a jumbo jet - it immediately informs the listener that the speaker is an outsider, so to speak.

If you're not in the business, then that is where the anatomical comparison comes in.

It's just one of those culture thingies, like Americans driving on the pavement.

diethelm
3rd Feb 2007, 14:55
You learn something new every day. I did not know the british referred to it as a chopper. I am kind of missing the connection between chopper and that part or its multitude of uses. Maybe the british do it differently:ooh: or we have been doing it wrong.

A chopper over here, in the former superpower, is a motorcycle, dentures, teeth or a tree shredder. I suspect if one over here said "wanna see my chopper", the girl may get worried:eek:

ShyTorque
3rd Feb 2007, 18:18
Some girls like the T shirt with the slogan: "Happiness is a big chopper".

HillerBee
3rd Feb 2007, 18:54
MTBrulz

If you're in the States and looking to add it to you FAA ATP, you need to do a minimum of 20 hours dual and 35 solo. Could be done in 4-6 weeks. No writtens, only a checkride (incudes the oral of course)

Many people call them choppers, especially in the US and the US is as far a I know a lot bigger than the UK, so why would anyone here tell you what word you should use.

I have a friend, Capt. 747 with BA, and he says to people if they ask I fly the Jumbo!!!!

What's in a name

Whirlygig
3rd Feb 2007, 19:41
Personally I like saying I have a big red chopper.

It's not THAT big! Sorry! :O

so why would anyone here tell you what word you should use.
I would have been grateful if someone had warned me beforehand not to ask an American if "I could bum a fag off you!"

Cheers

Whirls

remote hook
3rd Feb 2007, 19:44
I think if you get your knickers in a knot about calling them "choppers," you've way to much time on your hands....

RH

Lightning_Boy
3rd Feb 2007, 20:35
I'm more concerned about using the FAA term ORAL and CHOPPER in the same sentence. Especially after your checkride when you have been "DEBRIEFED" :eek:

Semi Rigid
4th Feb 2007, 03:55
god u must be a boring **** verbatim.

Heli-Ice
4th Feb 2007, 10:14
At Helicopter Adventures the students find it funny when they have to do the oral on the chopper with Mr. Dick, one of the FAA flight examiners. :}

Sorry Mr. Dick, I just couldn't resist this opportunity.

topendtorque
4th Feb 2007, 12:17
Hmmm

"I would have been grateful if someone had warned me beforehand not to ask an American if "I could bum a fag off you!"

or ask for a rubber:}

"Chopper is sometimes used to describe ones John Thomas:rolleyes: "

Now don't tell me this is a lead in to a clue as to the 'Thomas Coupling' pseudonym.

Whirlygig
4th Feb 2007, 12:23
Before I visited the AAIB in Farnborough, I thought Thomas Coupling was TC's real name :ugh:

Cheers

Whirls

HillerBee
4th Feb 2007, 15:38
Unfortunately Dick passed away. He was a good man.