PDA

View Full Version : MCDU Differences bwt A320/330/340?

Cedar Tree
2nd Feb 2007, 18:41
The only interactive software I can find for operating MCDU on a PC is for the A320 series. Anyone out there who knows or has experience on both types that can confirm the differences, if any?

Would it be practical to train with an A320 MCDU software in prep for A340 ground school? Thanks in advance!

qanpulse
3rd Feb 2007, 08:36
I operate the A330, as I dont think anyone of us trully flies an Airbus. Have experience on A320 and A330 (and B757), there are some differences but not enough to get concerned about.

If you want to train on a MCDU from a A320, will put you well ahead of the pack for a A340 course, as the whole setup is quite different to a Boeing FMC.

Hope this helps, good luck
:ugh:

Cedar Tree
4th Feb 2007, 06:32
Thanks qanpulse!

Essential Buzz
4th Feb 2007, 14:02
The similarity probably depends upon how up to date the A320 software is that you are using.

To my knowledge, the A320 uses both Legacy (ie older) and Pegasus (more modern) software. I can't speak for the A340, but the only A330's I had experience with, only had Pegasus - with various "bells and whistles" appropriate to ETOPS. (Nearest a/p's, ETP's etc)

One of the clues to check which version you are using is to look at the DATA page. If there is only one, it is Legacy; if two: Pegasus.

At the end of the day, it won't matter too much if you are playing with the older version - a bit of button pressing on a longish flight will cure any shortcomings you may have!

Cedar Tree
6th Feb 2007, 18:16
Thanks for your help!