PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Jet2krazey
3rd Nov 2008, 15:06
Which aircraft is in at the mo getting the winglets fitted! Didnt realise there were more getting done! wonder how many they will get em fitted!:ooh:

757 Speedbrakes
3rd Nov 2008, 15:21
I belive AC is at Lasham now.....

MUFC_fan
3rd Nov 2008, 15:36
I believe it was AB fitted which is based at MAN atm.

OliWW
3rd Nov 2008, 16:36
I know that AH is due to get winglets on by the 25th November... not sure where though!

Ivan aromer
3rd Nov 2008, 17:02
FDD.
The aircraft has been out of the hanger for 10 days so why could it not go to Egypt on sunday?

flybar
3rd Nov 2008, 17:28
I know that AH is due to get winglets on by the 25th November... not sure where though!

Interesting - I thought that the ex China 757's were going to be sold as non standard?

LBIA
3rd Nov 2008, 18:06
G-LSAB was the first Jet2 B757-200 to have winglets fitted. She was delivered to Manchester from Lasham about 10 days ago. She is now currently based at Leeds/Bradford in place and ready for the New York charters, which start this Thursday.

G-LSAA is currently down in a Hanger at Lasham receiving her's now. She has been down there for about two weeks, so she is due back into the fleet shortly.

SWBKCB
4th Nov 2008, 07:30
Bad publicity for Jet2 on local radio in Newcastle this morning. Guy with false legs being charged £10 excess baggage for his spare pair (he is arguing that wheel chairs go free and his spare legs are lighter than a wheel chair) - when contacted by the BBC, Jet2 have recommended that he complains to customer care and they would respond within 21 working days.

no sponsor
4th Nov 2008, 08:10
What was the recent email we all got, 'A Great Deal Friendlier...'

Looks like that's working out really well then.

757flyer
4th Nov 2008, 08:35
Guy with false legs being charged £10 excess baggage for his spare pair (he is arguing that wheel chairs go free and his spare legs are lighter than a wheel chair)

Most people dont take a spare wheelchair! He has his legs and mobility, people with ONE wheelchair do not!

I suppose then if i was incontinent then i could argue that the extra suitcase was my spare underwear for the holiday, why should i pay excess for that?:ugh:

BKS Air Transport
4th Nov 2008, 18:36
Oh yes, I suppose the poor guy just loves having to take a spare pair of false legs with him.
Where somebody is clearly disabled, or has a chronic illness, anything they need should be free of charge, as long as it is of reasonable size and they have a doctor's letter.
Incidently, Jet2 are the only airline I know of who charge for dialysis machines in the hold. FR and BE not only don't charge for the machine, but allow an additional free allowance for the sundry equipment that takes up space in the passenger's other baggage.
But then perhaps you feel such people shouldn't be allowed to have overseas holidays?

BigT2207
4th Nov 2008, 18:41
On the DB website it is showing Manchester to Heraklion

flybar
4th Nov 2008, 19:31
On the DB website it is showing Manchester to Heraklion

Jet2 website showing both LBA & MAN to Heraklion next summer.

TSR2
4th Nov 2008, 21:11
The baggage allowance from 29th March 2009 has been increased to 22Kg which can be spread over a maximum of 5 bags at a charge of £7.99 per bag per flight

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2008, 09:21
It's a lack of business acumen. You could see a clear PR disaster coming and for the sake of the small change and "Rules is rules" mentality spouted by anyone wearing a hi viz jacket they look like a bunch of money grabbing tight fisted stereotypical meanies. An easily avoidable elephant trap but like proper dumb****s they walked right into it.

The lack of common sense is terrifying....

bushbolox
5th Nov 2008, 10:32
Im with Jet 2 on this one.

This man was just plain arsing around and should have just stumped up for the extra payment.
Im glad he was told to hop it.
He should learn to pull himself up by his bootstraps. It wooden happen on my watch.
Tsch tsch what a bleeding liberty.:E

freightdoggy dog
5th Nov 2008, 13:39
BKS,

The terms and conditions are a legaly binding contract between the parties when you buy the ticket, whether you agree with them or not. 10kg Hand Baggage, 22kg Hold Bagage for a charge of £7.99, plus and extra 13kg @ a £10 concession rate for medical equipment on production of a doctors note that they are a medical requirement.

If FR and BE do dialysis machines for free in the hold then its simple, fly with them.

But would you really let the monkey on the ramp handle/drop/kick/push such a delicate machine or even let a baggage system with its shutes/drops/rollers anywhere near the thing ?

Do you agree with FR not allowing personal oxygen on board, but Jet2.com do ?

The guy is obviously upset , wanted to have a go at the check in agent, shout at the supervisor, go to the media etc, but at the end of the day like most pax, couldnt be @rsed to read the FAQ's that every airline site has.

And before you have a go, my cousin has spina bifida and is confined to a wheelchair for life. However she gets on with the hand dealt to her and manages to travel all over Asia, Australia,Europe and America with Alice Cooper and his rock band on different airlines as his media assistant.

She'd love to be able to have/use of a pair of artificial legs but medicaly she can't..isn't life unfriendly !

Ph1l1pncl
5th Nov 2008, 15:06
It was on the news today that JET2 has revised it's terms and conditions as they had never had a request like they did on spare legs before. So the man has had his £10 refunded and all the money he paid for his holiday as a form of compensation.

BAladdy
5th Nov 2008, 15:35
Does anyone if all LS's summer 09 flights are now on sale or is there still more to be added?

Also a few I have a few questions about LS's fleet that hopefully someone can answer. The average age of LS's 737 fleet is just over 21.5 years and there 757 fleet is 20 years .

Does anyone know if LS have plans to add to their existing fleet??. How reliable are these aging aircraft?? and finally will we see LS start replacing their aircraft with newer more efficient aircraft anytime soon??

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give in answering them.

no sponsor
5th Nov 2008, 16:01
The company has a track record of operating older aircraft. In general, they are quite reliable, although the 757s have had their teething problems. When the 737s were added to the fleet, they also had their share of teething problems. During the summer, there were only a few times a 737 went tech causing problems to the schedules.

As for new aircraft, well I think there will never be any 'new' aircraft, like Ryanair or Ezy. Rumours around about some NGs arriving, but I don't believe it, as they are just too expensive, and we don't like spending money.

I would expect a few bargain older aircraft to be bought in the next couple of years, as these are parked up in the desert, either 737 or 757s.

SCANDIC
5th Nov 2008, 18:00
Does anybody know if G-LSAD will get the full paint job and winglets fitted or are they not hanging that 75, i think that some of those 757s are to old for going long haul i think that they'll have even more probs with them.:)

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2008, 18:03
terms and conditions are a legally binding contract

Yes but a more savvy person would have seen a PR car crash coming and exercised what is known as "discretion".

BKS Air Transport
5th Nov 2008, 18:14
I'll just make a couple of replies.

scratchingthesky
I did not intend my post to be viewed as personal, but I was commenting at what best could be described as a frivolous post, and at worst could be viewed as downright insulting to disabled travellers.

freightdoggydog
Er....LS have rather a monopoly on LBA flights or otherwise we would. I assume that handlers will take reasonable care over something that has fragile stickers all over it, and that is all that it requires. These machines are designed to allow for patient travel, and are more robust than you might think.

Anyway, it looks like LS have done the decent thing by the guy in Newcastle, so I'll shut up now!

ILS32
6th Nov 2008, 12:57
First flight to New York today with Jet2.
Snippet from the LBIA website.
"The Boeing 757 aircraft was sold out, full of local passengers bound for the first of four, three-night shopping trips to the Big Apple courtesy of Jet2holidays and its sister airline Jet2."
If the rest of the flights are as successful, then the doom and gloom merchants who predicted the prices were to high and this would put people off booking were wrong.

There is a demand for flights to the States from the LBA and this might encourage other airlines to have to have a go.
So congratulations to Jet2.

ILS32

Setel Up
6th Nov 2008, 16:19
Congrats to Jet 2 management and staff for having the vision and drive to get this service 'up and running'.

Newark Airport website displays 'Channel Express 4001 landed at 12.11pm, so 1711utc, just over 7 and a half hours flying time. Nice!

Setel Up

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Nov 2008, 16:43
Yes well done to Jet2.
But how many were local, as Jet2 have been offering special fares to staff for the series of flights to fill the a/c.

757 Speedbrakes
6th Nov 2008, 17:36
I think it's only around 10 staff per trip so not that many.

Congrats to all the staff who got the ETOP's approved in the nick of time.

I've spoken to a couple of the bods who made this possible and many have done a lot of head scrating, constantly running into brick walls and burnt a lot of midnight oil!!

freightdoggy dog
6th Nov 2008, 19:39
CHANNEL EXPRESS 4001:D Who was responsible for the FIDs then ? Makes me almost moist

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Nov 2008, 20:32
Do you know what ETOPS they got approval for, 120, 138 or 180 minutes.

TSR2
6th Nov 2008, 21:13
I see Jet2 have slashed the price of next weeks EWR flight again. Now £259 return and quite a few seats left. Original price was £579 return.

wawkrk
6th Nov 2008, 21:23
Flights on the 13th are always harder to fill.

lbalad
6th Nov 2008, 22:52
Anybody any idea what stickers were added to aircraft?.

It looked like Jet2 friends...............,couldn't make it out.Think I better trade my specs in for a pair of binoculars!.

mad manc man
7th Nov 2008, 07:47
Maybe "Jet2 a Great Deal Friendlier"??????????

Brian Fantana
7th Nov 2008, 09:15
"The Boeing 757 aircraft was sold out"

What seating config is Jet2 operating these flights in?
Ditto Mr @ Spotty M question - what Etops approval did Jet2 get?

backtrack_32
7th Nov 2008, 11:25
The a/c had " Friendly Low Fares " on the side and on the engines!

EGNMCharlie
7th Nov 2008, 11:55
The aircraft was in a 220 configuration according to The Yorkshire Post. Went out completely full apparently.

757 Speedbrakes
7th Nov 2008, 22:49
Brian Fantana

222 seats with 120 mins approval.

Tom the Tenor
8th Nov 2008, 01:15
Congratulations to everyone at Jet2 on these great achievements of earning ETOPS approval and for successfully launching the Leeds - Newark flights. It is great credit to all involved from both Jet2 and at LBA. Cork could learn a thing or two from both parties.

G-LSAH positioned into Cork (from LBA?) just before 7 pm on Friday night for the weekend Budget Travel flights to the Canaries on Saturday and Sunday. I would suggest strongly to the powers that be in Jet2 to sell tickets on the inbound flight to Cork on the Friday nights and for the return flight to Leeds on the Sunday nights. It would work fine and give a sensible return bearing in mind the marginal cost of operating the service would be near minimal. The 757 will be heading over to Cork on the Friday nights for the rest of the winter so why not give it a try?

lbalad
8th Nov 2008, 19:30
Next weeks Newark flight now £199 rtn,thats got to be the bargain of the year!.

8th Nov 2008, 20:13
Is the Jet2 livery to change along with the tag line change?
Suppoisidly it was to be changed after being said on ITV.

Will Jet2 just be sticking to 4 flights a YEAR to New York?

Mr @ Spotty M
8th Nov 2008, 20:35
I think you will find that is it, no plans for any more at the moment.

blueplatinum
8th Nov 2008, 20:52
Jet2 are operating two charter flights per week on behalf of Thomas Cook and Irish tour operator Budget Travel. The flights operate on Saturdays and are from Cork (for Budget) and Dublin (for Thomas Cook) on B752 aircraft and are believed to be emergency replacements for W08 season flights originally to be operated by Futura or LTE.

Aviation Phoenix SL have responsibility for the collection of excess baggage and extra legroom seating revenue. GroundForce remain the handling agents as with the previous Jet2 scheduled services which operated to LPA in W07.

Hopefully the re-establishment of ground operations for Jet2 in LPA will smooth the way for the restoration of scheduled services at some point in the near future.

EGNMCharlie
8th Nov 2008, 21:46
Well AB had 'friendly low fares' added down the side last week, this is also the new marketing campaign for Jet2. They are dropping The North's favourite airline idea and going on the quality of their product. As for S09 they have upped the allowance to 22kgs and are taking out some seats on the 75's.

Severn
9th Nov 2008, 09:16
Looking at Bristol Airport's online mayfly (a timetable thing)....
There is a Jet2 757 arriving from EMA as EXS 136P just after midnight this Monday (11th Nov) . It then leaves to SSH operating the charter EXS2036 at 09.40 and arrives back as EXS2037 at 22.00 later that day.
The strange thing is that the timetable shows that it is not due to leave until Saturday (15th Nov) to DUB at 05.00 as EXS115P.
I was wondering why this aircraft is going to be parked at BRS nearly all week with nothing else on the timetable planned for it to do? Or could this just be a mistake?
Many Thanks.

Mr @ Spotty M
9th Nov 2008, 10:23
This now the time of year when there is little flying, so a/c will be parked up for a few days here and there.
You only have to look at LGW & MAN at this time of year, to see many a/c of the likes of TOM, TCX and MON parked up for long spells.

Chille Con Carnie
9th Nov 2008, 18:05
Nice one Spence (weakest link)
Well done,
Does Philip know you have to load more fuel ?

CAP509castaway
9th Nov 2008, 20:43
Spence is a SKY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok::ok::ok:

harrogate
10th Nov 2008, 09:09
Newark return came in 3 minutes early this morning.

The wind howling through my hotel in Leeds last night made me think it might've been going to Manchester instead. It's still very wild out in the city centre now. Must be very choppy up on the tabletop.

freightdoggy dog
10th Nov 2008, 12:11
His Jethro impressions still have me cracking up ! An absolute gent in the Capt Oldletch mould:ok:

BLKsheriff
10th Nov 2008, 20:31
The Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail had arial phots of Lasham over the weekend, showing numerous XL 739s and a few more carriers (bankrupt) airframes...Sky News ran the story today with helitele footage and there were clearly 2 jet2 aircraft in front of the hangers...does anyone know if it is more winglets on 75s or has PM been shopping???

Mr @ Spotty M
10th Nov 2008, 20:40
QLA is where Jet2 have the "C" checks carried out, l think it has been reported that the second a/c to have winglets is at QLA.

Jet2krazey
11th Nov 2008, 13:59
Do u have a link too the sky news video! found the daily mail one but cant see any Jet2 aircraft on the pics!

Pictured: The graveyard where 'credit crunched' budget airlines send unwanted passenger jets | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1083888/Pictured-The-graveyard-credit-crunched-budget-airlines-send-unwanted-passenger-jets.html)

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Nov 2008, 14:15
The Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail had arial phots of Lasham over the weekend, showing numerous XL 739s and a few more carriers (bankrupt) airframes...Sky News ran the story today with helitele footage and there were clearly 2 jet2 aircraft in front of the hangers...does anyone know if it is more winglets on 75s or has PM been shopping???

So any one who is not in the know, Will now think Jet 2 has gone as well as XL looking at those photos!!

The British have not got the 'Brightest' Intelligence.

19th Nov 2008, 19:50
Think Jet2 would ever make a move for BmiBaby?

Business Feed Article | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8044217)

robo283
19th Nov 2008, 20:59
"Think Jet2 would ever make a move for BmiBaby? "

No

lbalad
19th Nov 2008, 21:00
I see they have introduced a customer loyalty program.Earn 1 point for every £1 spent to be redeemed against future flights at 2 set levels.

Just my luck the flights I booked last month to SSH,I could have had a one way flight to CDG with the points!.Oh well.

B*gger me,didn't intend to give Jet2 any free adverising,just quoted name of their loyalty program,apologies.

BLKsheriff
20th Nov 2008, 21:42
Dart Group PLC (http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/fincal.html)

6 month results being released 4th Dec according to the above.

adam12345
21st Nov 2008, 16:54
LEEDS BRADFORD to ALBERT (PICARDIE SOMME)

Is this a new route, never seen it before???

Flight Destinations | Low Cost Flights to Europe | Jet2.com (http://www.jet2.com/Destinations.aspx)

FR-
21st Nov 2008, 17:43
Whats going on with Jet2 at EMA, seen one parked up at EMA for a while now. And someone said it would be a Jet2 base next year . . . . .

aidoair
21st Nov 2008, 18:31
Its a Jet2 Q/C aircraft operating cargo flights at night. It has been based at EMA for a number of years, however previously would have been in the channel express lviery.

FR-
22nd Nov 2008, 06:45
then why is it parked on the main apron?

silverhawk
22nd Nov 2008, 06:49
........perfectly why nothing on pprune can be believed.

Someone posts with an air of authority and others will believe it.

How about this. Jet2 EMA base to close with no warning! Will anyone care? No, because Jet2 do not have any based aircraft, crew or engineers at EMA.

commit aviation
22nd Nov 2008, 11:50
I think you'll find the EMA aircraft is doing SSH flights and splits its time between BRS & EMA. It replaces an XL series I believe.

There are no based aircraft at EMA for the RM flights - they pop in Monday - Friday from various bases and then return from whence they came.

Shiver me timbers!
23rd Nov 2008, 18:37
Just out of interest - does anyone know what the following flight is this evening at LBA?

LS6171 - From LBA to LBA, Departs 2100, Arrives 0010

:confused:

LBIA
23rd Nov 2008, 19:37
Yep Tonights LBA-LBA jet2 service is a Northern Lights Charter operating for Omaga Holidays.

757 Speedbrakes
23rd Nov 2008, 20:06
Doesn't the runway close at 00:00 ??!! :sad:

flybymike
23rd Nov 2008, 23:30
I believe they use the phrase, " Scheduled flights will be accommodated."

wawkrk
24th Nov 2008, 14:25
So what happened to the diverted PIA flight arriving late and the runway was closed.

bobleeds
24th Nov 2008, 15:39
Probably because PIA flight wasn't due in till 01:00 and would have taken a couple of hours to turn around and would have required runway for take off at about 03:00 hrs - so the runway would have been unable to be worked on effectively for this whole period.

On the other hand the Jet2 was due in just after midnight then would be off the runway and out of the way for the night causing only minimal disruption to the contractors..

Shiver me timbers!
24th Nov 2008, 17:58
Yep Tonights LBA-LBA jet2 service is a Northern Lights Charter operating for Omaga Holidays.

BYALPHAINDIA
24th Nov 2008, 23:33
Yeah, But the Aircraft will Land at 00.00 or just before 00.00.

The time 00.10 will be the 'Block Time' ETA on stand.

The flight will be just under 3 hours or whatever time it departs??

With 'Pleasure flights' etc, the flights are just under the next hour to avoid Taxes, Charges etc.

MUFC_fan
25th Nov 2008, 11:31
How are LS going to react to the BLK fiasco?

FR have already pulled out.

silverhawk
25th Nov 2008, 15:12
Jet2 and BLK will both profit from a business partnership.

aeulad
25th Nov 2008, 20:31
Any chance of LS picking up Blackpool to Barcelona and Dublin when FR pull the plug?

Regards

Mike

commit aviation
25th Nov 2008, 21:04
Whilst they may be able to do it from Jan until early spring, I don't think they would have the spare aircraft capacity to support it through the peak summer.

Ernest Lanc's
25th Nov 2008, 22:29
They could pull the plug on some unprofitable route - there must be one.

MMENCLLBAMAN
26th Nov 2008, 09:22
Appeared today on the search facility with twice weekly flights from LBA between 20th April - 5th July 2009 (except one period when just one flight per week)

Firstly, I had no idea Albert had an airport (nearest civilian airport I was aware of is Beauvais) and secondly - strange destination to launch when the world war 1 90 year anniversary is this year. (Albert is right in the middle of the Somme Battlefields)

Interesting choice????

Yak97
26th Nov 2008, 10:49
Does seem to be the market they are going for:

Meanwhile, the historical events of WWI and WWII are now included on the national curriculum leading to an increase in educational battlefield breaks for schools. Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director of Jet2, said: “This is a really exciting destination for us and we are proud to offer the first direct scheduled flights to Albert from the UK. “Battlefield breaks are becoming tremendously popular within the tourism industry and we anticipate the vast majority of passengers flying to Albert will be travelling there to see the sights and experience the history of key events during World War I. We will be offering two flights a week allowing four-night midweek breaks, which will believe will be extremely popular with schools, and three-night weekend breaks geared more towards independent travellers. However, we also believe that the likes of Amiens and Lille will prove to be popular destinations and not forgetting, because it’s such a short flight, Albert is a fantastic gateway to explore the rest of Northern France.”

Surprised they didn't go for Lille instead, seeing as Leeds & Lille are twinned? (The relationship between Leeds and Lille dates back to 1968 and formed the centrepiece of the Yorkshire region Nord exchange programme.) I know BMI did try LBA-LIL for a while but they did not give it time to grow.

BYALPHAINDIA
26th Nov 2008, 21:30
It would be nice to see a - LBIA - GIB rotation 1 a week to start?

I think LS could fill a 73 at least once a week to GIB?

Think LS will apply for the BLK - BCN route.

MUFC_fan
26th Nov 2008, 21:36
Would be very surprised if BLK-BCN does not become an LS route by next winter.

They say they are to position in a third a/c by 2010 - so what are we going to see?

I think we are looking at more bucket and spade routes and I think TFS will become a summer route with an increased frequency plus higher frequencies on the other routes. I think AGP and ALC will become daily.

galaxy68
28th Nov 2008, 11:23
Yes, I think GIB might work and why not Athens. The one I would like to see is Toronto. If they could fill a lump 20 years ago with 457pax, then surely it would be full today.

lbalad
28th Nov 2008, 20:41
The Toronto flight with Wardair was always via BHX,so never a full load of pax from LBA on a 747.I think the subsequent operators Worldways and Odyssey also split the load.

I would love to see a Toronto flight reintroduced from LBA,now Jet2 have done the Newark flights,who knows maybe a limited series of flights to Toronto next summer.In the current economic climate I won't hold my breath though!

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Nov 2008, 22:15
They could do a LBIA - MAN - YYZ on a trial run.

Remember the YYZ flights, They always filled quite well.

MAN777
28th Nov 2008, 23:22
What would be the logic of splitting a load LBA - MAN - YYZ,

what would any airline gain by half filling a 757, start up, taxy, take off for a 15 min flight, land taxy, finish loading, fuel, taxy, take off again !, x2 landing fees and loads of fuel burnt.

It would be cheaper for the airline to pay for taxis for Yorkshire PAX to drive the 40 mins over the M62 to MAN.

A300BOY
29th Nov 2008, 11:21
:)
Cos people like me would not drive across the M62 to Manchester and pay for car parking etc or even travel to there by any other means when I can get on the flying machine next door at Leeds and arrive at my destination even if via Amsterdam or Heathrow. A semi direct service to Canada maybe outbound via Manchester or Belfast and back direct to Leeds would attract my pennies to the airline concerned.

UK019
29th Nov 2008, 20:03
757 Speedbrakes, may I be permitted to correct your post #1547 ? ... The ETOPs clearance is actually 138 minutes.

And plans are afoot ...............

Cheers! (From one 'in the know'!!)

Facelookbovvered
29th Nov 2008, 20:37
When Wardair were at Leeds oil was $11pb.........opec intended to support $75 in the medium term so as was said above it would be cheaper to put them all in Range Rovers and drive them over t'hill (in case it snows)

galaxy68
3rd Dec 2008, 09:50
the propensity to fly nowadays is far greater than 20 years ago. The first summers flights to YYZ with Wardair were definitely direct, but thereafter my memory has faded....perhaps someone can confirm? I remember the first one left with 457+2 and 2000kg of freight and they were all well supported, so the demand was there. Operating via Bhx was more due to scheduling than lack of demand. I dont think Jet2 will have gone to all the trouble of gaining an etops just for a few flights to Newark, do you?

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Dec 2008, 18:00
True, I agree with that.

LS flights to NY are extra 'ETOPS' proving flights, As well as giving it's crews the experience of LH flights.

The Wardair 74 went out on a Monday Afternoon to YYZ via BHX.

If memory serves me, The 1st flight was in Nov 1984?

I think LS will be adding more US/CAN flights in the next few months?

STN Ramp Rat
4th Dec 2008, 08:49
And how long ago was it that everyone was predicting they were the next to go ......

LONDON (ShareCast) - Aviation (AHGIQ.PK - news) and distribution group Dart revealed a 97% rise in interim pre-tax profit after (Advertisement)

a strong performance from its low cost leisure airline Jet2.com.

Pre-tax profit rose to £36.3m for the six months ended 30 September 2008 from £18.4m the year before. Turnover rose 8% to £272.8m.

"This significant improvement in trading performance was principally driven by Jet2.com, the group's low-cost leisure airline, and reflects both improved yields and load factor," Dart said in a company statement.

The is however not paying an interim dividend, as it remains "cautious approach in recognition of current economic conditions."

Looking ahead to future trading, Dart said on an underlying basis, it expects second half trading to be in line with last year.

Jet2.com forward booking levels remain encouraging for the winter and its distribution unit Fowler Welch-Coolchain continues to perform in line with the board's expectations.

"We expect a more challenging trading environment next year and will continue to manage the business cautiously in the light of current economic conditions," the group added.

MARKEYD
4th Dec 2008, 09:20
Jet 2 are operating this weeks flights for Palmair out of Bournemouth in the wake of European going into administration

Bath Travel the owner of Palmair are in talks with Jet 2 and another company i believe about leasing an aircraft full time to operate the busy schedule for the summer from Bournemouth with Palmair cabin crew

757flyer
4th Dec 2008, 09:25
Dart group today announced pre tax profits of £37m!

quote "This significant improvement in trading performance was principally driven by Jet2.com,"

share price up 25%

Well done Jet2

PURPLE PITOT
4th Dec 2008, 09:55
Excellent news. What sort of a pay rise do you think you will get?:rolleyes:

SKYWRITER1
4th Dec 2008, 10:27
It may be 25%, but its only 5p! Can anyone tell me why the share price has dropped so much over the last 18 months - 2 years? I know the price of fuel, tough times etc but a steady drop from about 160p to circa 25p is still a hell of a drop. I presume taking on XL work etc must of helped trade, plus reducing the t & c's of crew!

SW

freightdoggy dog
4th Dec 2008, 11:15
Palmair don't have Cabin Crew Markeyd. It was EACC cabin crew in Palmair branding.

It will be the cabin crew of the airline that are current on aircraft type.

TwoOneFour
4th Dec 2008, 13:08
What Dart actually says is overall trading performance is up, as a result of Jet2 activity, without really explaining whether Jet2 (passenger numbers down 10%) is turning a profit.

There's not a scrap of profit information on Jet2, only "aviation services" revenue - and, as they say, "profit is sanity, and revenue's vanity".

bluepilot
4th Dec 2008, 13:24
jealous 214????

They are making good money an the assets are paid for, good position to be in...........far far better than most.

ZeBedie
4th Dec 2008, 15:24
I guess the share holders are less enthusiastic...

Fool.co.uk: Chart Data - DTG (http://quote.fool.co.uk/chart.aspx?s=DTG&tks=DTG)

bluepilot
4th Dec 2008, 15:42
Fool.co.uk: Chart Data - EZJ (http://quote.fool.co.uk/chart.aspx?s=EZJ)

Fool.co.uk: Chart Data - BAY (http://quote.fool.co.uk/chart.aspx?s=BAY)

Fool.co.uk: Chart Data - RYA (http://quote.fool.co.uk/chart.aspx?s=RYA)

I guess airlines in general have declined over the year, so negative ZeBedie are you jealous as well?

Beggars belief this website, there is some good news during these bad economic times and people are still negative and dismissive :ugh:

Well done to Jet2 and its staff for doing such a good job!

flying macaco
4th Dec 2008, 16:07
at last some positive news! so when does the recruitment start again...??!

Skipness One Echo
4th Dec 2008, 16:20
Thought Jet2 was only a part of the Dart Group? What was the Jet2 profit stripped out from the rest of the group?

Penworth
4th Dec 2008, 16:31
Well done to Jet2. They're not the only ones in profit though, Thomas Cook announced good profits, and Tui Travel's pretax profits were £319m, up 43%. These results reflect company performance pre-recession though - the real test will be S09 and next years results.

PW

757flyer
4th Dec 2008, 16:41
:):ok:

THE PARENT of Leeds-based low cost flight operator Jet.2com today reported a 97 per cent leap in pre-tax profits for the half year ended September 30.

Dart Group's figure of £36.3m (2007: £18.4m) was achieved on turnover up eight per cent at £272.8m (2007: £252.9m).

Underlying pre-tax profits climbed by 175 per cent to £33.5m (2007: £12.2m).

The company said that over the period average load factors on its aircraft increased to 80.4 per cent (2007:74 per cent) and added that it had generated £20.3m cash from operating activities (2007: £0.5m outflow) despite the seasonal reduction in the level of customer advance payments, which peaked in March.

The company said the significant improvement in trading performance was principally driven by Jet2.com and reflected both improved yields and load factor.

However, the company will not pay an interim dividend because of the need, it said, to maintain "a cautious approach in recognition of current economic conditions".

Looking forward, Dart Group chairman, Philip Meeson said: "On an underlying basis, we would expect second half trading to be in line with last year.

"Jet2.com forward booking levels remain encouraging for the winter and Fowler Welch-Coolchain (the group's road distribution arm) continues to perform in line with the board's expectations.

Challenging

"We expect a more challenging trading environment next year and will continue to manage the business cautiously in the light of current economic conditions."

The company said costs were carefully managed in the period and a recently introduced fuel efficiency programme was now achieving a four per cent improvement in fuel utilisation.

For the winter season, Jet2.com has managed down its overall scheduled capacity which the company said reflected a "prudent" approach in the current economic environment.

New destinations, including Croatia, Turkey and the Red Sea, have been added for next summer, with increased flying from Manchester, whilst overall capacity will be maintained at levels similar to those of summer 2008.

The airline flew 2.3m scheduled passengers in the six months to September 30 (2007: 2.6m) with the number of routes served being reduced slightly to 74 (2007: 77).

The company said it was able to increase both yields and load factors by focusing on flying popular routes, at departure times convenient to customers.

Jet2.com currently operates 30 aircraft of which 29 (21 Boeing 737-300s and eight Boeing 757-200s) are owned by the group.

Jet2holidays.com, the group's tour operator launched in February 2007, sold over 25,000 holidays in the half year to September 2008.

The group said it was expected to make an increasingly significant contribution to the airline's passenger numbers over the coming years.

"We believe that Jet2holidays.com will become a favoured choice for our leisure customers by meeting our customers' demand for a package holiday from their local airport on Jet2.com scheduled services," today's statement said :ok::ok::)

harrogate
4th Dec 2008, 16:45
It's a trading statement, for God's sake. Trading statements never go into broken-down figures about which part of the company is performing and which isn't.

The words 'significant improvements in trading performance were principally driven by Jet2.com' might give you an idea that the airline has had a hand, though.

I imagine the tredious nay sayers will be notable by their absence when the actual figures are released next year, in which it may show that Jet2 - heaven forbid - had made some good money.

The ill-informed 'logic' the detractors use by saying that 'it must be the haulage company that's carrying the airline then' just doesn't add up. If there's one industry under more pressure in the UK presently than the airline industry, it's the haulage industry.

For a company that has one foot in haulage and the other in the airline industry to be turning anything like a profit at the moment - let alone a very good one - is pretty darn good I'd say. Very good, in fact.

I only wish I'd bought some shares when they were down below 10p.

It doesn't take a genius to note that the more diverse operators are the ones turning in good results (i.e. the ones that aren't simply white bread low cost airlines), whereas those who've stuck to a basic point-to-point flight offering are suffering.

And to think of all the slagging the likes of Jet2 got from the armchair experts on here when they announced they were launching their own holiday company and were pushing towards more charters.

Come on, somebody allege that it's the Royal Mail contract that's carried Jet2 this year, then we'll have the full suite of tedious criticism.

TwoOneFour
4th Dec 2008, 16:49
Nothing to with being jealous and dismissive. I'm not a shareholder or a competitor. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

I just read what the statement said, not what people think it said.

Releasing turnover figures, but not profits, is a classic diversion tactic. If Jet2's doing well, and is profitable, then I'm glad for them, but I'm staggered that Dart hasn't said so. If people aren't convinced, Dart only has itself to blame.

harrogate
4th Dec 2008, 16:55
I'm not so sure you can read.

Re-Heat
4th Dec 2008, 16:59
214:

On an underlying basis (excluding the Specific IAS39 mark to market adjustments), profit before tax amounted to £33.5m (2007: £12.2m). This significant improvement in trading performance was principally driven by Jet2.com, the Group’s low-cost leisure airline, and reflects both improved yields and load factor. Underlying EBITDA increased by 77% to £52.7m (2007: £29.9m).
If that does not read as Jet2 being profitable, I do not know what you would be satisfied with.

harrogate
4th Dec 2008, 17:08
EBITDA alone is often a legitimate cause for suspicion, so it makes some people twitchy. But it's a trading statement. Put it in context.

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Dec 2008, 17:22
XL ant News!!

I just hope LS keep this up, And introduce more LH flights from the N England.

Just hope PM's Accountants don't get 'Too excited' and go on a spending spree?

I remember how good Capital (BZ) at LBA were doing, Then they got 'Too excited' and bought 2 146's at an expense!!

That was said to be the cause of Capital's bankrupcy!!

I think PM & LS have the experience not to overspend.

I know the LS fleet is old, But what does it matter?

As long as they pass their 'MOTs' - Cofa's.Lol

LS fleet are workhorses.

cessna24
4th Dec 2008, 17:41
Well done Jet2. Hopefully we will see some more a/c at stansted!

But thoughts out to the Flightline staff. Sad news especially before christmas.

C24

No RYR for me
4th Dec 2008, 19:57
Well done Jet2, it is great to see all the negative b@stards being proven wrong :ok:

A and C
4th Dec 2008, 22:08
An unfortunate choice of words, perhaps it is an ex-XL ant bit of news, I would guess that those who have been in a position to ride the storm so far will be more secure on the business of the unfortunates who have gone to the wall!

GobonaStick
4th Dec 2008, 22:32
Must admit I'm curious - how much of Darts aviation ops is freight, and how much J2? Turnover from distribution isn't enough to carry a £35m profit, but I don't know how the aviation ops break down.

Kalium Chloride
4th Dec 2008, 22:46
EBITDA alone is often a legitimate cause for suspicion

Eh? :confused:

EBIDTA gives a clue to earnings, it's turnover alone that would make me wonder.

Nowt wrong with questioning a press release. Sounds to me that J2's probably doing summit right, though.

Flightrider
4th Dec 2008, 23:01
...so it's only me who finds the cash at bank and net cash figures in the statement to be incredibly alarming?

Making a profit does not necessarily mean that you have a reasonable level of cash in the business - you can be profitable and still run out of cash.

If I'm reading today's announcement correctly, it says that they had cash of £400,000 in the bank at the end of September. OK, borrowings have been significantly reduced versus last year, but cash has still fallen from £4m this time last year to £0.4m this year. Not good, particularly in an environment where you can't readily borrow money if you need it.

harrogate
5th Dec 2008, 00:17
Eh?

EBIDTA gives a clue to earnings, it's turnover alone that would make me wonder.

Nowt wrong with questioning a press release. Sounds to me that J2's probably doing summit right, though.

EBITDA can be used to make any company look great. Remember the original dotcoms? Their EBITDA looked stunning. It's the reason why so many people chucked cash at them. They never saw that cash again.

It's not always dubious though, and at the very least it shows clearly that the company can make money by doing what they're doing, and that's good to know. I'm sure there's no book cooking going on at Dart Towers.

oldart
5th Dec 2008, 07:26
The LS flight to EWR appears to have landed in Gander more than 6 hours late. Does the same crew bring the return flight back? At the moment I can't find an arrival at EWR.

galaxy68
5th Dec 2008, 08:01
BYALetc, the Wardair ops were summer only, perhaps June to Sept. Getting the 747 direct to YYZ with a full load off 32 was never a problem. However I should imagine with a 757 that it would be a struggle....

harrogate
5th Dec 2008, 09:28
For the geeks...

http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/pdf/2008Interim.pdf

lbalad
5th Dec 2008, 10:06
I posted a question in the Leeds topic yesterday,because I noticed flight had been 'redirected'.

It left LBA over 6 hours late due to the snow,routed via Gander,and like you I could not see an arrival time in EWR.

It was estimated over 5 hours late into EWR,but if it stopped in Gander to refuel surely it arrived later than that.

Anybody got a clue what time it reached EWR?.

Count Bawbag
5th Dec 2008, 10:13
Great news Harrogate. Jet2 have been hoovering up the charter contracts at a far lower price than the competition can match so that's even better.
I guess now we'll see PM drop the cabin crew spend-per-head scheme and give the flight deck a reasonable summer roster.

People who say PM doesn't care about his crews and only achieved these great results through crews goodwill going that extra mile, working days off and going into discretion need their heads examined.

harrogate
5th Dec 2008, 10:21
YQX > Gander > LS 4001 > Jet2.com > Landed EWR: 8:03PM

In other news, the interim trading report in full...

http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/pdf/2008Interim.pdf

on time all the time
5th Dec 2008, 10:34
I am very pleased for Jet2. We hear too many bad news about airlines and making a profit is good news.
However this is the second time that the group publishes very good figures in a short and certainly chosen time ie the peak of the season.
The low cost/charter market is very seasonal and it would be very interesting to see what the figures are at the end of the financial year. Traditionally the winter period eats a lot of the profits made in the summer....

Re-Heat
5th Dec 2008, 12:35
EBITDA can be used to make any company look great. Remember the original dotcoms? Their EBITDA looked stunning. It's the reason why so many people chucked cash at them. They never saw that cash again.
Harrogate - you don't know what you are talking about. Dotcoms never had positive earnings of any shape or form, let alone EBITDA - they were sold on the future growth story.

The controversy over EBITDA is the elimination of a necessary charge for machinery etc from earnings, making the earnings less meaningful.

harrogate
5th Dec 2008, 13:31
Re-Heat

You just proved my case in point. I don't dispute what you say about the future growth rouse.

But one of the reasons for the early appeal of the Dotcoms was due to a massive (read huge) underestimation of ever recurring technology costs. The cutting edge technology associated with and used by them sucked far, far more cash than was initially declared to early investors.

Many did have positive earnings, albethey short-lived.

javelin
5th Dec 2008, 14:30
2 Things:

Capital did not go down because they acquired 146's. They went down as a combination of the CAA gunning for a certain individual and the parent company going into administration because of changes in agreements between UK and Norway.

Jet 2's parent - Dart, does not have to suffer because it is a haulage company. Most top end haulage companies are immune to fuel costs because that is not how they do business these days. They charge for the facility and the fuel is on a separate escalator - it goes up and down.

Meeson has been a sharp cookie for a long time and will do for the foreseeable future.

harrogate
5th Dec 2008, 15:05
Indeedy. I believe FWCC has a weekly fuel surcharge system across all clients.

airsmiles
5th Dec 2008, 20:14
If I'm reading today's announcement correctly, it says that they had cash of £400,000 in the bank at the end of September. OK, borrowings have been significantly reduced versus last year, but cash has still fallen from £4m this time last year to £0.4m this year. Not good, particularly in an environment where you can't readily borrow money if you need it.

You need to look at the Derivative Financial Instruments to understand the cash position. DFI's in current assets are up from £2.6m in 2007 to £6.6m in 2008. Also, you've got more DFI's in non-current assets that up from £0.3m to £6.0m. They seem to be doing okay to me.

EBITDA is the standard way of looking at profit to the city, hence that's why plc's talk that particular lingo in trading statements.

qwertyuiop
5th Dec 2008, 21:26
From Count BawbagJet2 have been hoovering up the charter contracts at a far lower price than the competition can match so that's even better.

No airline survives for long using this business method.

airsmiles
5th Dec 2008, 21:49
No airline survives for long using this business method.

It's not about the price they win a contract at, it's about the relationshio between cost base and the resultant operating margins. Somehow Dart managed to more than double their operatings margin from 2007 to 2008. They admit the Fowler Welch trucking op is struggling so I presume it's mainly coming from Jet2.

Count Bawbag
5th Dec 2008, 23:07
Slightly tongue in cheek was my post Qwerty.
Jet2 don't have to lease their aircraft so they can undercut others.
Though funny that when it comes time to talking about pay rises and decent conditions their tone changes and they are never doing as well as they just said, like a week ago!

racedo
6th Dec 2008, 01:20
They admit the Fowler Welch trucking op is struggling so I presume it's mainly coming from Jet2.

There is a lot of pressure on costs in the Chilled Dist chain BUT Innovate which was owned by the Icelandics who walked away went bust.

Tesco who have a significant proportion of their business with them went to Stobarts and basically told them to take over Innovate in the interim. It was a very low margin business but Tesco have been advised that rates across industry need to rise significantly as otherwise Innovate will be handed back and will go belly up as no one interested in it for its margins.

In the medium term its likely rates will go up and if Innovate can't be turned around then a loss of capacity could have a very positive impact on Fowler Welch pricing and its parent company. Economic slowdown may impact a bit but chilled retail sector is expanding. Medium to Long term it looks positive.

Since fuel strikes in 2000 the majority of contracts now have fuel escalators built in which are reliant on specific set prices and fuel costs should not be reason for a distribution company struggling unless they really messed it up.

boredcounter
6th Dec 2008, 03:03
'Jet2 don't have to lease their aircraft so they can undercut others.'

EAAC/EAF/EAC owned theirs too..............................

With capacity being withdrawn as each company 'fails', is Jet2 wise to be mopping up so readily? I would bet AWC have increased the rates on a 146 right about now, and have a very expensive 757 if it's needed, and some interim equipment we used to call the Channel burner when aircraft were in short supply.

Btw, no connection at all to any airline mentioned above,

Bored

freightdoggy dog
6th Dec 2008, 09:25
QWERTY,

Dart has threee different business models in the aviation group.

The monthly "milk cheque" from the Royal Mail contract that underpins the winter ops and negates the losses .

The charter section that has beaten its budgeted target by March this year and has grown rapidly as others in the UK market have gone to the wall.

And finally the bread and butter Lo Co operation, that has seen a significant improvement in yeild management where sometimes less is more.

All contribute to the bottom line, some more than others, but importantly it doesn't rely on one method.

flybar
17th Dec 2008, 18:26
Help please - the LGW/CDG/JIB operation that Jet2 are covering at the moment for Daallo Airways.
Is this to cover a brief shortage of aircraft or is it a Long Term Contract?

harrogate
18th Dec 2008, 07:33
Does anyone know if there's any news on Jet2's plans for a scheduled service to Israel?

It all seems to have died off since the initial buzz a few months ago.

In other news, it's good to see the DTG share price bubbling along nicely. Wish I'd bought some at 9p now.

lbalad
9th Jan 2009, 22:40
It appears that Jet2 have quite a few flights this winter from airports where they don't have based aircraft.

I see they have flights from Dublin tomorrow to Lanzarote,Chambery,Las Palmas.

If I recall,they are operating flights from EMA,CWL,BRS,anybody else know of any other flights they have picked up?

Also see there is an arrival tomorrow from Brize Norton into LBA,are they doing trooping flights as well now?

Jet2krazey
9th Jan 2009, 23:16
They have an MOD contract flying troops too dubai from brize! :)

ryan2000
10th Jan 2009, 09:50
One of their 757's parked at Cork for the entire week and is operating to LPA today.

dublindispatch
10th Jan 2009, 09:58
They have a 757 in DUB, doing what would have been some of the Futura Gael work, they picked the work up @ Sep and they have a 737 doing ski flights until mar

Channex101
10th Jan 2009, 13:13
Daollo Airlines have never operated their own metal on that run.
Jet2 are doing it till about Feb/March im lead to believe, Daollo have previously used Airtours/MyTravel with their 757 and 767 from LGW, as well as other carriers, before Jet2 it was Air Slovakia who pulled out at quite short notice. However jet2 are having a few problems getting the cabin crew do to the flights.

AEUENG
10th Jan 2009, 13:23
Jet2krazey,

I've not heard about that and can't find any other info relating to Jet2 having landed an MOD contract, care to elaborate?

I know that FGS have landed a couple of MOD contracts from BZZ to Falklands and Doha.

Cheers

LBIA
10th Jan 2009, 13:39
Hi

Jet2 B757-200WL, G-LSAB has operated twice so far this week from RAF Brize Norton

She positioned out of LBA on both Sunday 4th and Thursday 8th as LS188P and has returned twice so far. Once on Tuesday as the LS189P and again this morning as it was showing on the LBA website live Arrivals page.

Hope that helps a bit.

PS. Dont Jet2 now also operate a Boeing 737-300 on the Palmair contract from Bournemouth?

Mr @ Spotty M
10th Jan 2009, 14:57
I think you will find it is ad hoc work for the MOD, like many others including mine.

757 Speedbrakes
10th Jan 2009, 17:21
PS. Dont Jet2 now also operate a Boeing 737-300 on the Palmair contract from Bournemouth?

Yep, doing flights to the Canaries I belive.

Bet there was a few double-take looks from ex Channex staff while thats been sitting there! :eek:

At least it's operated by ex Bournemouth based crew, so those who have families and houses down there were chuffed. :ok:

Spotter LBA
14th Jan 2009, 20:55
Due to the success of the New York flights Jet2 put on in November and December Jet2 holidays are looking at commencing more long haul detinations from LBA.

There has been rumour that a Canadian destination may well return to LBA. Could this be a route for Jet2?

Does anyone know any more than this?

harrogate
14th Jan 2009, 21:02
Speaking of the New York flights, I heard a rumour from a well-placed source that most of those flights left LBA with every intention of routing via Gander, with the fuel and weight at departure not permitting direct routing to Newark.

Can someone on the inside blow this rumour out of the water? I'm normally pro Jet2 so I'm not mischief-making, but this source is generally pretty good, albethey not an insider.

jet2impress
14th Jan 2009, 21:35
As far as I understood the situation, Jet2 had every intention of routing these flights direct to EWR. However, additional time was allowed in the schedule to allow for such a diversion if required.

commit aviation
14th Jan 2009, 21:45
Weather was the big unknown with the EWR flights. For the first 2 the weather behaved & a direct flight was achieved. For the last 2 it was less favourable and a tech stop was required.
No drama - but proves even PM can't control everything!! ;)

airnoc
14th Jan 2009, 22:05
travel from noc to lde last july http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
nice flight one hour ahead schedule
why not try noc to jfk & bos should have good loads

MUFC_fan
14th Jan 2009, 23:18
Was it not more to do with slots than setting time aside for a stop?

mmeteesside
15th Jan 2009, 13:42
Any chance we will see some red and silver at Durham Tees Valley this summer now that Flyglobespan are obviously not coming back (not that we believed them anyway!). Even a 1 aircraft base just doing the main sun routes would work wonders. Depends whether Jet2 have any spare 733's though.

MARKEYD
16th Jan 2009, 16:35
Latest edition of Travel Trade Gazette confirms that Jet 2 will keep a Boeing 737 300 at Bournemouth in what will now be a long term arrangement and that Palmair cabin crew will take over from Jet 2 crew once they had been trained up on the aircraft

scotsunflyer
16th Jan 2009, 18:32
Reported the GSM B736 is going on lease to Egypt on another forum

EGNMCharlie
16th Jan 2009, 21:28
What configuration is it in at the mo? Am I right in thinking TFS, ACE & FUE are all quite long legs on a 148 seat 733!?!

Wonder where they have pulled that 737 from? Going to be some cuts or is there plenty of slack in the network over the summer?

freightdoggy dog
16th Jan 2009, 21:50
AUENG. The MOD work is currently until March 2nd 2 x flights a week to a place in the desert!

Cabin Crew darn sarth are happy with the JIB route out of LGW as it makes a change from Lapland !

And yes John the Biscuit, Judge Dredge and The Terrorist are v happy flying out of BOH

FlyCorkInternational
16th Jan 2009, 22:31
With the talk of EWR flights - have always thought that Jet2 would be ideal for NCL-ORK-EWR. Both NCL and ORK have been lookin for T/A flights and they could also tie in their NCL-ORK-NCL flight with the same aircraft making it that bit more profitable, thus killing 3 birds with 1 stone so to speak. This is just my own idle thoughts - any others got comments.

aidoair
16th Jan 2009, 22:32
http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/post_new.gif Today, 22:28 #1676 (http://www.pprune.org/4654565-post1676.html) (permalink (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/262549-jet2-2-a-84.html#post4654565)) EGNMCharlie (http://www.pprune.org/members/256917-egnmcharlie)

What configuration is it in at the mo? Am I right in thinking TFS, ACE & FUE are all quite long legs on a 148 seat 733!?!

Wonder where they have pulled that 737 from? Going to be some cuts or is there plenty of slack in the network over the summer?

I believe at the minute the aircraft is in a 148 seat layout however now the contract has been extended with Palmair perhaps it could be lowered to increase the leg room slightly to that of what Palmair used to have obviously dpending on operational issues should the aircraft get positioned around different bases...

...and yep the 733 is capable of doing the Canary islands non stop from most airports in the UK with full capacity. It probably used to be one of the most common aircraft on the route between the UK and the Canaries back in the 80s - 90s.

TSR2
17th Jan 2009, 23:07
I notice that Jet2 have imposed another 'stealth' charge.

For the pleasure of booking direct with the airline a 3% Reservation Fee is added at the payment stage. This is in addition to the credit card charge and the only way to avoid both these charges is payment by Solo or Electron.

paully
18th Jan 2009, 15:28
and for the somewhat dubious priviledge of flying in elderly airplanes(very) as well.......how they can still call themselves `low cost` beats me...:ugh:

freightdoggy dog
18th Jan 2009, 19:15
They dont call themeselves LO COST anymore Paully...

Theres a new strapline "a great deal.......friendlier'

TSR2...Then pay by Electron or Solo...I do with Ryanair and avoid MOLs so called stealth charges.

jet2impress
18th Jan 2009, 19:16
Oh, get a grip! The cheap fares are still out there! Also, yes, the aircraft are not new, but would hardly call them VERY elderly! If Jet2 suddenly announced fleet renewal plans and orders for new aircraft, you lot would be the first to criticise them! lol :ugh:

richardnei
18th Jan 2009, 19:37
Well said jet2impress! Ok Jet2's aircraft may not be the newest in the world but they are well maintained and as a result have no more tech delays than anairline with brand new aircraft. I have noticed recently that alot of the 737's have been given a makeover inside with new lighting, brighter interior walls and recovered seats! Acually make's the cabin look brand new. The only thing missing is new style overhead locker doors.

As for the stealth charges. If you actaully do some research you'll find that most of the additional charges such as excess, hold bags and prebooked seats are alot cheaper than other low cost airlines!

paully
18th Jan 2009, 20:58
Jet2impress

Try Ryanair or easyjet.....you do get a newer aircraft...its one of their selling points, and if you check their fares for a run down to malaga like I have over the last week from all their northern departure points,sorry they aint cheap......

TSR2
18th Jan 2009, 23:01
Not true:
Jet2 Baggage - £19.98 return
Monarch Scheduled - £15.98 return
easyjet - £15.00 return

pwalhx
19th Jan 2009, 07:15
Freightdoggy you will find at the bottom of the home page the following:

Cheap Flights with Jet2.com, the low cost airline .

So they do in fact call themselves low cost. However this is semantics, in reality they are low cost for some and not for others.

bluepilot
19th Jan 2009, 10:26
As is ryanair ...easyjet.....etc etc, a pointless conversation.

EGNMCharlie
19th Jan 2009, 18:51
Who really cares? If you dont like it dont fly with Jet2! Jeasus this is like saying why does Tesco charge 29p for a can of beans that Morrisons charge 28p for. If you don't like it, book with easyJet or whoever you want, dont winge about it on PPRuNe!! :ugh:

..... atleast Jet2 dont charge you £30 to check one bag in at the airport like Ryanair .... oh wait a sec .... who gives a dam. If you dont like it take the chuffing train.

harrogate
19th Jan 2009, 20:39
Freightdoggy you will find at the bottom of the home page the following:

Cheap Flights with Jet2.com, the low cost airline .

Familiarise yourself with the concept of SEO and you'll have learned something today.

If it gets you the hits, you put it on your website. If you put it in bold, Google et al find it quicker.

This is what I do to put food on the table.

Hi.

BAe 146-100
21st Jan 2009, 00:05
What does Jet2 run to Murcia in the Summer from Manchester?

757s?

Cheers

harrogate
21st Jan 2009, 09:32
What does Jet2 run to Murcia in the Summer from Manchester?

Slags.

Same from Leeds.

BAe 146-100
21st Jan 2009, 12:27
Slags.

Same from Leeds.

That made me chuckle.

pwalhx
21st Jan 2009, 12:27
Harrogate - I am familiar with the concept, I was merely correcting the ascertion that Jet2 didn't market itself as low cost, which it does for the reasons you alude to.

In effect though looking at the routes/frequencies that they offer to some destinations i.e the Greek Islands isn't it actually incorrect to bracket them with the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet. Both of whom one would readily accept as LowCost Operators, when in fact what they are doing is block selling to tour operators and selling the rest of the seats themselves. A smart move in my humble opinion.

harrogate
21st Jan 2009, 16:59
Harrogate - I am familiar with the concept, I was merely correcting the ascertion that Jet2 didn't market itself as low cost, which it does for the reasons you alude to.

In effect though looking at the routes/frequencies that they offer to some destinations i.e the Greek Islands isn't it actually incorrect to bracket them with the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet. Both of whom one would readily accept as LowCost Operators, when in fact what they are doing is block selling to tour operators and selling the rest of the seats themselves. A smart move in my humble opinion.

It's down to how you interpret what a low cost operator is innit. The original lo-cos were based on the American model, which was quite a rigid formula. They were point-to-point, flew to peripheral airports and, had single class cabins, flew direct, no frilly add ons, single aircraft type, etc.

These days, our lo-cos don't conform to many of those principles, so the term 'lo co' is probably redundant, or needs to be elaborated on when used.

With the advent of longhaul low cost operators, both on direct and indirect routes, the model is evolving again. In fact, it's no longer a model at all. It's more of an umbrella term that applies to most of the airlines that don't fall into the legacy or flag carrier categories.

You can look at Jet2 and say that they never actually were a true lo-co anyway. They've nearly always flown direct to major airports (apart from Leeds, ho ho) and they've always had enhanced services. These days they also chuck in the odd longhaul route, and operate more than one type of aircraft.

They clearly know that they're not a true lo-co, but they've rather cleverly paddled onto that wave and have had a lot of success in doing so. It's no secret to a lot of their repeat customers (of which there is undeniably a lot) that they offer more than a no frills experience.

So yeah, it's down to labelling. They're still a cheap airline in the general scheme of things, but they were never a 'true' low-cost airline, in the strictest definition of the term. You do get more bang for your buck with them in most cases, but there's only so low they can drop their fares, because of the fundamental fact that they're not flying to peripheral airports. So at least part of their fundamental business model prevents them from being a lo-co. You pay a bit more for it, but the trade off is that you probably fly to nearer you need to be in most cases.

Their lo-co style marketing of remaining seats on charter routes is not something new. Look at other larger holiday airlines to see how that's been going on a lot over recent years. But yeah - it's working for them. They're performing as well as any other airline at the moment, and considerably better than a fair few.

pinkpyjama
22nd Jan 2009, 10:14
My cousin has just been told that their training course is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it was due to start. That sounds like a company very unsure about what's going on to me.

harrogate
22nd Jan 2009, 14:38
Or more likely it's simply a company reacting to changing market conditions. But yeah - that reaction stems from uncertainty. So what? Who knows how things are gonna pan out in any industry at the moment? Let us all know if you know someone who can tell us.

Things are unpredictable at present, and that changes things. That's completely obvious. You wouldn't expect Tesco to recruit staff for the 22 stores they initially planned to build this year, as opposed to the 13 they'll actually now build.

So Jet2 might be re-thinking various plans, given the volatile market. I can't see how that can be regarded as anything other than responsible and prudent. It would be irresponsible to push forward with plans that don't reflect the reality of the changing market.

Call me old fashioned.

bravoromeosierra
22nd Jan 2009, 16:25
Can anyone give an insight into how bookings are going for the new routes to NQY for Summer '09?

LPFR
23rd Jan 2009, 19:33
Not true:
Jet2 Baggage - £19.98 return
Monarch Scheduled - £15.98 return
easyjet - £15.00 return

There's a difference though; Jet2 gives you 22kg allowance. Easyjet and Monarch 20kg. If your bag is 22kg with Easyjet or Monarch the excess baggage charge besides the already bag charge will be much higher than £19.98.

jet2impress
24th Jan 2009, 06:15
The cabin crew training course has not been cancelled, it's been rescheduled. I think it was a fairly small course, so they decided to combine it with one held in MAN instead.

freightdoggy dog
24th Jan 2009, 06:53
Harrogate....I always try to learn something everyday, especially sitting around the pool in Dubai with a cold drink in hand admiring the B.A and Jet2 cabin crew !

Now thats what I would call friendly not lo cost :)

Have always been "Commited to Cargo"...sorry "Low Cost"...erm "Charters"

Whatever

tonker
24th Jan 2009, 07:13
You forgot erm "making a tidy profit"

freightdoggy dog
24th Jan 2009, 07:44
Damn Tonk.....I havent got my Management head on !!

Must be the midday sun, the cocktails and itsi bitsi bikinis that made me forget....

Hope to have a run ashore with you ( and your secret camcorder ) soon, I'll let the Jumeirah beach babes know you're on your way ha ha !

tonker
24th Jan 2009, 08:15
Oh god i've been rumbled:sad:

pinkpyjama
25th Jan 2009, 11:17
It seems anyone who was to start at LBA have now only been offered MAN. With due sufficient warning that would normally not be too much of an issue but with 9 days notice?

harrogate
26th Jan 2009, 09:42
I see the Dart Group share price has taken a nosedive today. Notably down from 40p to 30p in under a fortnight.

flybymike
26th Jan 2009, 17:10
Shortsellers...Bane of the economy...;)

28th Jan 2009, 16:54
Think Jet2 will introduce any new long-haul destinations anytime soon?
Know its not a great time for expanding but you never know.

757 Speedbrakes
28th Jan 2009, 17:13
No............... :zzz:

28th Jan 2009, 18:33
Yes well brief but thanks! :ugh:

Spotter LBA
31st Jan 2009, 22:58
I'm not sure that is quite true as I know that Jet2 holidays are wanting to have more long haul breaks available in the future such as the ones they did at the back end of last year to New York. After all another aircraft is set to join G-LSAB to have winglets. Surely this is signs for more long haul flights??

MUFC_fan
31st Jan 2009, 23:03
I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back the plan of introducing wide bodied aircraft and look at MCO/SFB. Others I suppose could include Caribbean?

Are there any plans to look a little further afield such as Cape Verde from MAN/LBA - they could make a killing! TOM charge more for a Cape Verde holiday than they do some Caribbean destinations! Same length flight as SSH yet a hell of a lot more lucrative! Perfect for the 757!:ok:

1station
12th Feb 2009, 08:49
Aviance are now apparently front runners to secure the handling contract at Manchester as Flight Support are rumoured to have declined the business.

kerby
12th Feb 2009, 17:18
FS are only rumoured to have declined the terms at which jet2 have set down for the contract. as far as im aware they are still in talks with jet2 about it. i didnt even think aviance were in the running for it anymore

harrogate
14th Feb 2009, 21:06
Was passing today and stopped for a while to guzzle my fish and chips.

Three Jet2 757s rolled out to depart in quick succession, except number 2 went balls up on the taxi out and was towed back to park.

Any ideas which one it was, and what the problem was?

EDIT: I note the Tenerife flight was nearly 3 hours late departing, so that'll be the one. Any idea what the problem was?

backtrack_32
14th Feb 2009, 22:12
One of the 75's i think AG got towed out to D1 for engine runs and then towed back to the main apron!

harrogate
15th Feb 2009, 03:21
But it taxied out under its own power.

The ladder truck and tug pulled up to it after 20 minutes, and then 3 trucks escorted it back.

It was the same aircraft that departed 3 hours late for Tenerife.

commit aviation
15th Feb 2009, 11:00
It is possible for engineers to taxi an aircraft under its own power. Cuts down the engine warm up time prior to the high power runs too.
Aircraft don't taxi backwards very well so a tug would be preferable from D1 to taxi under power which would mean a trip along the runway!

backtrack_32
15th Feb 2009, 15:21
Well the time i saw it, it was been towed from D1 to stand 21 area!

harrogate
15th Feb 2009, 16:03
Yeah. It was towed back, but taxied out itself.

Either way, regardless of whether it was a problem that developed during taxi out, or the engine runs were taking place as a result of an earlier problem, it was still the Tenerife a/c that departed 3 hours late, right?

Just trying to work out if the delay to the flight was due to tech probs.

EGNMCharlie
15th Feb 2009, 16:14
Not quite,

G-LSAB departed first of all to Chamberry ..
G-LSAG went down just short of D1 for engine tests then about half an hour later went back to stand 21.
G-LSAH departed to Tenerife arrpox 1.5 hours late, the LBIA arrivals and departures were very unaccurate yesterday the TFS departing at 15.37 not 16.37 as stated on the website. My mum was on it!

commit aviation
15th Feb 2009, 16:18
We are splitting hairs I would suggest!
Whether it was under taxi out (it wasn't - there were no pax on board) or an earlier problem, it is still a tech problem!!

Incidentally, high power runs are now undertaken at D1 or in the loop for these larger aircraft dependant on wind direction. Options for high power runs on the apron are somewhat limited partly due to vehicle / personnel movements and because the car park now surrounds most of stands 19 - 24. The public don't take kindly to having their cars pebble dashed while they are on holiday apparently!! :}

backtrack_32
15th Feb 2009, 16:40
Also last time a 757 did engine runs on November, it moved off and left huge dips where the wheels had been. (it was there for about 10 hours doing runs a few months back)

timothy taylor
15th Feb 2009, 19:34
The aircraft was towed to D1 for a fan trim balance following high engine vibrations on No1 engine. The aircraft is now servicable following work carried out by Jet2 Engineers.

LSJET
19th Feb 2009, 03:16
what happened to the 737-800 rumour and 767 rumours would be nyc to see them up at lba :ok:

but im guessing it was jus a well spread rumour :D

Deaf Tortoise
19th Feb 2009, 08:12
The latest news from my mole in engineering is that the 737NG rumours were based on actual airframes, which were examined in some depth, together with engines, and rejected.

The reason for rejection was unspecified.

There remains a 767 rumour however.

Here's hoping....

baps
19th Feb 2009, 12:08
Any chance of Jet 2 starting LBA - LGW now that bmi have pulled the LHR?

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2009, 12:22
Would be a great opportunity for BA to launch it's 'Back to the Regions' campaign! No one heard of it?:}

I would think it would be BE who will fly it and I would think that they may look to start in May but I haven't heard anything and that is just a gut feeling. LS have tried NCL and MAN to LGW and they failed but they did have competition on those routes so they may be in the line but I doubt it...

pug
19th Feb 2009, 18:11
Any weight to the rumour that Peel have recently been in talks with LS with a view to starting operations from DSA?

LBIA
19th Feb 2009, 19:23
Hi

Well it's well known that Jet2 have had talks to DSA in the past and probably have again recently to renegotiate an extension to their current LBA diversion operations, Especially now that DSA has CATIII on its runway and that they may want to include some extra training sorties.

They can’t expand to much more for this summer with the current size of the fleet. As all the aircraft are needed for the summer programme at the current LBA, MAN, BFS, EDI, NCL, BLK, STN and EXT base's.

MUFC_fan
19th Feb 2009, 23:45
Well aren't TOM looking to reduce flights from DSA?

Would be good to see LS put an a/c in DSA next summer. I don't think they have flights to MJV and other LS points which would be good to see.

I would think DSA or MME would be LS's next port of call but we haven't seen much since BLK. Probably not the best climate at the moment but DSA would probably be on the cards now that Jet2holidays is up and running.

LBIA
20th Feb 2009, 00:03
How about a Jet2 to base at Humberside Airport with one based Boeing 737-300/QC next summer 2010. Both Low cost scheduled and Jet2 Holidays brand operating flights to destinations in Spain and elsewhere across the network. You might have the advanatage off some over night freight work to Germany with some of the local fish.

Now that would casue a stir at both DSA and MME..

pug
20th Feb 2009, 00:11
Yeah like the previous 'offer' at HUY which was 'turned away'.

Plenty of room if MAG would want it. Next year would be the perfect time too with all the losses so far this summer...

BYALPHAINDIA
20th Feb 2009, 01:33
Well, 10/10 for advertising by Jet 2.

Just about every website I have been on this week - Jet 2 advert.

Buses - Jet 2 advert.

Papers - Jet 2 advert.

Local TV - Jet 2 advert.

They have got the right idea, It is the least they can do in this current 'Financial Mess'

Good Luck To Them.

I am thinking about booking ACE for a week with Jet 2, But is it worth it with the EURO right down to 0.99??

Plenty of people have said ALC & TFS are REALLY quiet at the moment - Too quiet!!

SSH is filling up!!

lbalad
20th Feb 2009, 06:44
I agree with the above poster,Jet2 adverts are everywhere at the moment.

Loads of billboards around advertising holidays from £99.

I am going to SSH from LBA next week.The flights do appear to be proving popular.

We booked our flights last October for around £280 each,when I checked the price last weekend for next weeks flight it was a whopping £425,today it is £375.

Teevee
20th Feb 2009, 09:18
As a DSA forum member, who doesn't place much store by these rumours ...

On the one hand I can't see why it should happen. I would have thought Jet2 had enough going from LBA and MAN et all in the present climate but on the other ...

If they did start just 2 or 3 routes they wouldn't necessarily be competing with TOM in the same market. TOM are heavily into the package holiday while JET2 (correct me if I'm wrong) are predominantly flight only. There've been a few people around these parts asking for flight only flights just lately. Then again, making the move now the CATIII is in operation makes sense because I don't know how much a diversion costs, or how much they cost Jet2 last year, but it must make the operations side a lot easier knowing with much more certainty that the a/c are going to end up where you want 'em. And then again, if Jet2 are thinking of going transatlantic with a 763 or something then as well as pax I'm sure they'd want it packed with as much freight as it could take to make it as profitable as possible. Having a runway of DSA's length would give them that option without the need for a (presumably extra cost??) re-fuelling stop.

Having said all that, I still don't think it'll come to much.

pug
20th Feb 2009, 10:40
I dont know Teevee but i though that at the moment LS were moving into the charter side of things as its where there is more stability at the moment. Correct me if im wrong though.

I suppose its 50/50, i could perhaps see them using DSA if they think they can generate enough without stepping on their LBA operations too much, or it could just be Peel trying their luck whilst discussing the aforementioned diversion/training flights.

To be honest i dont think there is a great relationship between some of the LS bigwigs and MAG though i would again be happy to be told othersise..

EGCN Doncaster
21st Feb 2009, 16:01
I think Jet2.com would be great At DSA, I think they would be good at City Routes and Some Spanish Routes Like Re-starting Amsterdam and Paris Properly and even would also be good at serving Murcia, Granada and maybe even New York and Gibraltar.....

HOODED
21st Feb 2009, 17:23
Can't see Jet2 doing a New York ex DSA when they don't do it from their main airports LBA/MAN which both have much larger populations including businesses than DSA. Yes I know they did some Xmas shopping charters ex LBA but thats not the same as a regular service is it?
Get real Jet2 are not stupid the reccession will dilute their income so I for one don't expect them to be opening new routes at the moment.

B-727
21st Feb 2009, 17:49
Get real Jet2 are not stupid the reccession will dilute their income so I for one don't expect them to be opening new routes at the moment.

Thank God, someone with common sense. Jet2 don't have the the number of aeroplanes or staff (namely flight crew) let alone the cash or even the market to consider it............ should they though I'll be straight on here to metophrically eat my hat!

SCANDIC
22nd Feb 2009, 09:55
Aviance have got the jet2 contract at man, they will be starting it on the 29th of march. Does anybody know if they will be putting anymore winglets on the 757s and also how come GLSAD never got the full paint job.:)

Spotter LBA
22nd Feb 2009, 11:38
G-LSAD never originally got the full silver livery as she was delivered so close to the summer season and was required straight away for duties out of MAN. I last saw her a few months back and she was still all in white. Strange that she hasn't still been painted although I do quite like her in white.

B-727
22nd Feb 2009, 16:38
You should view her close up then, looks a bit of a mess :(

Air Scotland still visible underneathe the white primer, paint starting to come off now around the back and on the belly.

Apprently it is because a C check has never tied up to a space in the paint shop but me-thinks its more to do with the 'well that'll do' attitude. :rolleyes:

flybar
22nd Feb 2009, 16:43
G-LSAD never originally got the full silver livery as she was delivered so close to the summer season and was required straight away for duties out of MAN. I last saw her a few months back and she was still all in white. Strange that she hasn't still been painted although I do quite like her in white.

G-CELO is also in all white. Both operated from NCL for a while. Certainly keep the photographers happy in all white!!

Spotter LBA
22nd Feb 2009, 18:46
Similar to G-CELR that reurned to Jet2 in a hybrid livery after being on lease to Globespan. Was nice to see something a little different at LBA rather than usual silver and red.

silverhawk
22nd Feb 2009, 19:46
The New York stuff was to endorse the ETOPS approval so that we can quote for that charter stuff. Cost sharing on a larger scale. Now see what we do.

Jet2krazey
22nd Feb 2009, 22:47
G-LSAC is currently away having winglets fitted as well as new red leather seats and charcoal grey carpets with red flashes in it! looks very smart. all the 757s are due too get the same seats and carpets over the next few months! as stated in the CCA this week. and there are definatly more of the 757s planned to get winglets in the future due too the fuel savings they make! not sure if the 737s are getting new seats as the ones that have recently come back from refits have old refurbed grey leather seats! :)

LBIA
24th Feb 2009, 18:04
Hi

For anyone interested the second jet2, Boeing 757-200 with winglets now added, G-LSAC has been delivered from Southend and arrived at Leeds/Bradford this afternoon as the LS31E.

Spotter LBA
27th Feb 2009, 18:33
I know that similar rumours have been mentioned before but I have just heard that Jet2 have today announced the purchase of a Boeing 767 to do routes to the Carribean and Dubai amoungst others. However I really don't know how true the above is! Does anyone else have any info on this?

jasond4
27th Feb 2009, 21:00
this rumor about a 767 purchase is untrue. The person who spreaded this rumor is just a college student and does not work for jet2

EBC-S9
27th Feb 2009, 21:11
The rumour regarding a 767 was made up this morning by a fellow TAA college student who thought he was rather hillarious in posting false information on the LBA-SPOTERS FORUM in order to make people believe in possible fleet expansion.

Spotter LBA
28th Feb 2009, 09:06
I did have a feeling that this was the case! Thanks for your help.

mad manc man
2nd Mar 2009, 07:34
The rumour regarding a 767 was made up this morning by a fellow TAA college student who thought he was rather hillarious in posting false information on the LBA-SPOTERS FORUM in order to make people believe in possible fleet expansion.

One question; WHY?

Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

EBC-S9
2nd Mar 2009, 15:33
I do not know why he did it, he must have thought it was funny. However, i do not appreciate being told to 'get a life' when i had no involvement in the matter.

Johnny F@rt Pants
2nd Mar 2009, 15:53
The way I read it, the "Get a life" comment was directed at the goon that started the rumour without any evidence to back up his/her claim, and not at you:rolleyes:.

Charlie Roy
2nd Mar 2009, 21:20
Plane makes emergency landing at Athens airport - International Herald Tribune (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/02/europe/EU-Greece-Emergency-landing.php)

TSR2
2nd Mar 2009, 22:18
Apparently, the flight was LS2113 from Manchester to Taba. The aircraft G-LSAA (B752).

Channex101
2nd Mar 2009, 23:30
Yeah it was AA, AH is enroute to pick up the pax as we speak.

Regarding LSAD, it was actually with Jet2 about the same time as AC and AE were delivered but AD had a few extra bits and bobs needed doing to it and missed its slot in the paint shop, hence was AE was delivered before AD was, just think its never had chance to go back in.
Althought, it is off to Southend tonight so its its going for the cabin refit like AC has just had and the winglets maybe it will get a lick of paint too?

LPFR
4th Mar 2009, 00:39
Is it true that Jet2 will start this summer charging for each piece of hand-luggage?!

Channex101
4th Mar 2009, 10:52
I wouldnt be suprised, lots of other carriers doing it.. and as we all know airlines make a lot of money from these little extras so dont blame them, they need to bring in extra cash if they want to survive, times are tough for all airlines out there

TSR2
4th Mar 2009, 11:44
lots of other carriers doing it..

I am not aware of any airline charging for handluggage.

ILS32
4th Mar 2009, 16:06
LPFR

I booked to Amsterdam for May yesterday with Jet2.
I have hand baggage only,and there was no charge

ILS32

Jet2krazey
4th Mar 2009, 17:07
Think there only charging for bags that are oversized! too often passengers who only have hand luggage, check in online, and when they come out too the aircraft their bag is too big for the cabin, and it has too be off loaded and placed in the hold! therefore avoiding the baggage charge! so now if your bag is too big and doesnt fit the requirements (sizes) the ground staff charge a fee and give you like a fine for the bag! and the cabin crew take the payment from you onboard. i think its a good idea, everybody knows the required size of bag your allowed but still try there luck and bring bigger! :rolleyes:

IB4138
4th Mar 2009, 17:20
Jet2 catch a lot of people out with their hand baggage sizing, particularly on length, with:
50x38x26 being the max.

Compare that to Easyjet and bmibaby with 55x40x20 and 56x45x25 of Monarch, Aer Lingus and BA.

TSR2
4th Mar 2009, 17:34
Is it true that Jet2 will start this summer charging for each piece of hand-luggage?!

The 'Terms and Conditions' for all Jet2 flights are those in force on the day of booking irrespective of the date of travel.

The current T&C is 'You may carry onboard 1 piece of cabin baggage max 10kg and no larger than 50cmx38cmx26cm, free of charge subject to our conditions and limitations (details available on request)'.

However, it is quite possible that Jet2 could change their Cabin Baggage policy at some specified future date but I think this would be highly unlikely due to practical reasons associated with airport implementation.

Should Jet2 feel it necessary to generate revenue from this potential source, I would imagine that the 10kg free allowance be reduced to 5kg with an option to purchase a further 5kg at the booking stage.

LPFR
4th Mar 2009, 19:38
I thought it was very strange charging for handluggage as I'm not aware that any other airline charge for that, not even Ryanair, so.. The thing is that I've heard it from a girl working at the sales desk from Jet2, that they will begin charging it by the end of the month or so.. UNLESS she missunderstood it and they'll only charge oversized ones like you said, that would make more sense.. I'll try to find out the truth.

wawkrk
4th Mar 2009, 20:23
Ryanair
15kg baggage allowance no pooling.

Easyjet
20kg pooling allowed up to 66kg

Jet 2
22kg after March, pooling up to 88kg.
Cabin baggage charge only if not checked in on line

TSR2
4th Mar 2009, 21:42
Cabin baggage charge only if not checked in on line

Nothing stated in Jet2 Terms and Conditions about this. Where did you get this information from ?

Rampmole
4th Mar 2009, 22:02
Noticed tonight radio 1's Jo Whiley has her name on one of the 737's at MAN. Why is this???

MUFC_fan
4th Mar 2009, 22:11
Noticed tonight radio 1's Jo Whiley has her name on one of the 737's at MAN. Why is this???

Scott Mills ran a campaign to get Jo Whiley named after an airport and BLK was the main one mentioned and the management even had a meeting before rejecting the idea.

Jet2 then took it upon themselves to name one of their 737s based at BLK after the famous DJ. She now flies around Europe, currently from MAN!

It fit into the radio 1 tour at Blackpool a couple of years ago.

Try searching on google for the full story.

BAe 146-100
4th Mar 2009, 22:14
Are all of the Jet2 757s getting the winglets?