PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

purplehelmet
19th Jul 2010, 12:09
frankfurt cowboy,jet2 probably have as many experienced/unexperienced pilots as any other airline,and there are plenty of other airlines useing "geriatric" aircraft,so until they start dropping like flies i would'nt worry:ooh:
smudge @ all r.e. the bogus engineer, i remember reading some where that the guy poseing as an engineer only had a ppl license,he also allegedly worked for another airline at the same time working different shifts,he said something like his license was still being processed by the caa.so it was'nt only jet2 that were duped by him.

theloudone
19th Jul 2010, 12:44
I gather the bogus engineer was from a helicopter company based in Norfolk, so it sounds like even their QA dept is a bad !
It was one of their engineers who tipped off Jet2 and saved a lot of embarrassment.

TSR2
19th Jul 2010, 14:48
Posted by Frankfurt Cowboy
So Jet2 have inexperienced pilots flying geriatric aircraft

All pilots have to start somewhere and that does not only apply to Jet2.

timothy taylor
20th Jul 2010, 20:41
The so called bogus engineer did not hold a Jet2 company approval and never certified any tech log entries. He did however come to Jet2 with all his B2 modules passed with the intention of gaining a company auth. The fact that he also worked for a helicopter company at the same time was a bit of a problem. He no longer works for either company. This information is a fact and not hear say. Also Jet2 have an excelent quality department.

suck egg mule
21st Jul 2010, 23:00
suck egg mule....what exactly do you know about the CAA and their views on J2? very little i suspect as the CAA are only concerned with standards etc, NOT terms and conditions of employment!

More than you bluepilot obviously:ugh:

So it would seem bogus pilots and bogus engineers are beyond the CAA's remit don't you know:D:D:D

LPFR
22nd Jul 2010, 14:54
Mint Airways 752 EC-LBC currently at MAN, operating for Jet2.

JetRob
22nd Jul 2010, 19:01
How come this is operating for Jet2?

DjerbaDevil
22nd Jul 2010, 19:08
Heard one of JET2's B752's went US recently and being high season they must need a replacement.

JetRob
22nd Jul 2010, 19:18
Personally i think they need more planes anyway, preferably B752's because like you've said its high season. :8

flybar
22nd Jul 2010, 20:13
Mint Airways 752 EC-LBC currently at MAN, operating for Jet2.

Ironically an ex Globespan aircraft returning home!!

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Jul 2010, 07:00
Heads up!

These comments being made about Jet-2 maintenance is none of your business - not when you cast aspersions as to the quality of the tasks undertaken - that is the job of the CAA. Your comments are misplaced.

The point is that you do not know and you are not in a position to know so it stops right now.

AR&A Mods

JKKne
23rd Jul 2010, 13:42
Some good old fashioned press scaremongering going on at the Newcastle Chronicle over a Jet 2 engine fault

For minor engine fault read passengers news interview as 'flames shooting out of engine, dropping thousands of feet, fearing death and closing my eyes' :ugh:

ChronicleLive - News - Chronicle News - Family’s Tenerife flight horror as engine stops (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/07/23/family-s-tenerife-flight-horror-as-engine-stops-72703-26916125/)

tonker
23rd Jul 2010, 20:16
If the engine stopped on take off(ie 1-200ft) and they then dropped a few hundred feet..........they are dead aren't they?

Clever stuff:rolleyes:

wanna_be_there
23rd Jul 2010, 20:22
haha, is that paper affiliated with the daily mail?
Like you say, if it was just after take off and it dropped hundereds of feet, it would have crashed.

Complete over reaction by that family in my opinion, just after their 15 minutes. :hmm:

Teevee
24th Jul 2010, 08:25
The second 'reply' beneath the online article might have the true story!!!:ugh:

LPFR
27th Jul 2010, 00:16
Jet2 is the cover of August's Airliner World magazine. Good publicity with a list of all it's destinations and a well written article with great pictures. :ok:

atcomarkingtime
2nd Aug 2010, 10:48
Just back from a lovely holiday. As you may have read earlier, I was flying JET2 from Manchester to Alicante July 19 and return on July 29.
Got to Manchester to find the displayed time on the departure boards showing 1600 but our flight should have been 1410. We asked when we dropped our bags and the staff weren't aware of the delay...but soon got back to us to say that due to aircraft shortage, there would be a delay til 1600. Then the airport boards showed at 1600 that it was a final call to board...so we saw passengers racing for the gate! (so NOT Jet2's fault)
We boarded to be told we had to absorb a 45 minute delay on board due to the Spanish ATC working to rule...and finally departed at 1645.
The flight was great...seats were the grey/red leather look...and the one thing I loved was the fact the seats don't recline...so nobody in front was going to invade my space...what a fantastic idea!
Must admit that the crew weren't the happiest of people tho...but by the way we heard some passengers talking tot he crew...I'm not surprised!
The flight home departed on time...2040...and arrived in Manchester at 2235...5 minutes ahead of schedule even though we had a great headwind...and the crew seemed alot happier on this flight!
A nice 45 minute queue at passport control....a big change to the non-existant passport check on arrival at ALC..
Well done JET2....you made my holiday start well and end on a high....excellent!!!!! :ok::ok:
(See...us Air Traffic Controllers aren't all bad!!)

DADDY-OH!
4th Aug 2010, 23:58
Glad you enjoyed it. Jet2 aren't a bad bunch!

OliWW
7th Aug 2010, 17:26
Anyone know why there are extra Jet2 flights appearing on the EMA departure board, one this evening to ALC and one tomorrow to IBZ?

Jamie2k9
7th Aug 2010, 18:14
A flight between Alicante and Manchester has been delayed 7 hours as the aircraft developed a tec problem in Alicante and the East Midlands based aircraft is coming to bring the Manchester passengers back home. The flight is due into Manchester at 05:45 and the aircraft will return to East Midlands.

Another aircraft form Leeds also is in Manchester as a number of flights are delayed by between 4 - 8 Hours.

Jamie2k9
7th Aug 2010, 20:40
Leeds - Tenerife South

The flight left Leeds with a delay of 3 Hours

The flight is due in Tenerife South with a delay of 7Hours 20Minute delay.

Any idea of whats after happening. Also the Leeds airport website says the inbound leg of the flights has got an INDEFINITE DELAY.

wanna_be_there
7th Aug 2010, 20:53
Not sure exactly what happened, but the LBA-TFS flight made an emergency landing at MAN.

Im sure someone will have more details.

Jamie2k9
7th Aug 2010, 20:58
I just got through to Leeds Airport infomation desk

The aircraft develped a tecional problem and had to divert to MAN. Currently it on Final Boarding in MAN for a departure at around 23:00.

LPFR
8th Aug 2010, 21:46
Eventually arrived back at Leeds 21 hours late :ooh:

David Sharpe
10th Aug 2010, 12:28
Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong area, but I have a question / word of warning regarding online check in.

Flew back from Palma to Manchester last Sunday (8th August) and had checked in online 4 weeks previously. There was a party of seven, and we were given seats 31A, B, C & D, plus seats 32A, B & C. When we boarded the aircraft (G-LSAC) we found that seats 32A, B & C did not exist. The stewardess seemed quite surprised, but made the assumption that there was an extra toilet on this aircraft which meant that Row 32 only had seats D, E & F.

How can Jet 2 run an online check in when they have different specification aircraft, I assume they certainly do not know which aircraft flies the route 4 weeks in advance (I was surprised that the check in at Palma were not aware of the aircraft and seating plan and could have made these changes, also that the cabin crew did not know for certain how many people were due to board the flight, "I think the aircraft is not full" was the comment as we were waiting) presumably this similar on board panic to find seats occurs every time this aircraft flies ???

Luckily, as the flight had a bit of room we were accommodated after a bit of shuffling around, but not sure what would have happened if it was full ?

Just a word of warning to anybody checking in on line and getting seats 32A, B & C it is probably best to ask at check in to maks sure that these seats are actually available !!!

Jamie2k9
10th Aug 2010, 12:44
Last Saturday a number of Jet2 a/c went tec and there was long delays on a number of routes. I presume the aircraft was a B757-200. Not all the aircraft have the same amount of seats. The B757 range from 228 - 238 passengers on them.

Last Saturday:
One 757 was grounded in Alicante
One 757 made an emergeny landing in MAN while going from Leeds - TFS

So I can see why this happoned to you.

WelshAirDragon
11th Aug 2010, 00:23
Good Evening

Just a quick message out there to Jet2 to see if they have thought about expanding into Cardiff. After checking out your destinations you seem to be the perfect low cost operator to breathe some life into CWL.

Cardiff is crying out for some new destinations to give the Welsh public a bit of variety and a break from the bucket and spade routes offered by the other airline that claims to be low cost!

Come to Cardiff to offer us some city routes. Prague, Dubrovnik, Milan and Krakow would be the perfect city break routes that are desperately needed. We don't want flights every day, but an airline that offers decent scheduling that makes short city breaks possible. I have also noticed that you have return flights from Leeds to New York. This would be a superb route out of Cardiff over Christmas, especially with Continental pulling out of Bristol.

Hopefully Jet2 start offering the Welsh public some great deals and exciting destinations.

What do the Jet2 PPRuNe uses think? :ok:

stella.a
12th Aug 2010, 09:04
Can one of you knowledgable folk off here tell me over which countries, height and speed the flight from LBA to milan bergamo usually takes as we are using this service in a couple of weeks and my 6 year old lad is driving me mad with these questions.

Thanks

EuroChallenger
12th Aug 2010, 09:09
I think the BGY flight uses German airpspace. Cannot be more specific. Sorry.

737 Speedbrakes
12th Aug 2010, 09:15
Usual route pass South of Skegness area, across the North Sea, overhead Amsterdam. Pass just North of Dusseldorf, towards Frankfurt. Right turn and pass just East of Lake Constance, over the Alps to Bergamo.

Speed depends on the wind, but 480mph is typical.

35,000 Feet height is typical.

wawkrk
12th Aug 2010, 09:23
You can check one of the flights on Flightracker radar.
Yesterday my daughter and family flew to Cyprus.
I was able to indentify the 2 Leeds 757's about 20 minutes apart over Bosnia.
Look for EXS 343. on - Watch Air Traffic - LIVE! (http://www.flightradar24.com/)
It takes a bit of patience to get the hang of it.

737 Speedbrakes
12th Aug 2010, 10:20
Here is another one

RadarVirtuel.com (http://www.radarvirtuel.com/)

stella.a
12th Aug 2010, 18:10
:ok: Thanks very much for the answers, I will get some peace now, at least till the next thought passes through his mind. :ugh:

dwshimoda
12th Aug 2010, 22:44
If he's that keen, when you are onboard ask one of the CC if it is possible for him / both of you to pop up to the FD for a quick visit before the flight.

Time allowing, I'm sure the crew will allow it, and maybe even show him a map of where the flight will go.

DW.

GdLSF
13th Aug 2010, 16:26
I thought it was illegal for non-crew to enter the cockpit.

dwshimoda
13th Aug 2010, 21:16
Read my post again:

for a quick visit before the flight

Not illegal at all.

DW.

HXdave
14th Aug 2010, 08:42
or even after the flight, preferebly when back in the UK, as the FD might have a bit more free time then. pre-flight and at turnaround they will probably be quite busy, however at the end of the return leg, it may be that the aircraft is then 'parking up', so all the time in the world.

However, as always, i stand to be corrected.

dublindispatch
14th Aug 2010, 11:36
Why not charge a fiver for a pre or post flight cockpit visit!!

luvly jubbly
14th Aug 2010, 11:50
Or you could fly in a decent country where cockpit visits in flight are still allowed ;)

LPFR
14th Aug 2010, 13:17
What's the harm of a cockpit visit while plane is on the ground and there is time for it? I've done it on 2 UK airlines while boarding (45 minutes prior STD) and it was just fine, very friendly crews.

wawkrk
14th Aug 2010, 15:36
Look, if you can't take 2 spoons to a cricket match because they could be a terrorist threat, then your lucky to even get near the pointy end of an aircraft.Bin Laden must be laughing his socks off at the thick British.

757 Speedbrakes
14th Aug 2010, 23:29
Quite often if we have long slots then it's common to let the kids up to visit the flight deck. It keeps the parents happy, is good for PR and may inspire the next batch of new pilots. It was visits to the flight deck as a kid that got me hooked.....!!

Officially haven't seen it written down anywhere that pre / post flights are not permitted although there is an arguement for post flight only due to the pre flight, flight deck security checks ..........

Hull City AFC
15th Aug 2010, 00:51
Can anyone shed any light as to why this afternoons Leeds - Faro flight is delayed to 07:00 tomorrow morning???.

Noticed they had big delays on their morning Alicante and afternoon Murcia today (Saturday).

Is this yet another tech problem for Jet2???.

Check Mags On
15th Aug 2010, 07:01
It is departing at 16:30 local.
That's if you mean Sunday's flight.

Just got called off stby for it.

TopazBlue
15th Aug 2010, 09:12
No idea about the delays, we fly to Palma tomorrow morning @ 07.00, just hoping we won't have a knock on effect with how long those delays are.

Hull City AFC
15th Aug 2010, 13:01
No I was refering to Saturdays flight which eventually left Leeds Bradford on Sunday morning at 07:49.

Todays Palma flight was delayed and left at 09:20 instead of 07:00 today.

Delays again at Leeds Bradford today aswel, they really do need to sort this out.

tonker
15th Aug 2010, 18:13
It's not the airlines fault. The crew and aircraft are ready 99% of the time. Its Spanish ATC imposing restrictions as slots. Notice the destinations are in Spain.

There is a bigger picture, so please have some patience with all the airlines.

LBA
15th Aug 2010, 19:16
True, but the delay this morning wasn't due to ATC....

LPFR
15th Aug 2010, 19:31
There was a tech 757, therefore the delay of yesterday's LBA-FAO..
ALC flight today was supposed to operate with the same aircraft, and it did, but only after the delayed LBA-FAO-LBA. Everything should be running as scheduled tomorrow. :ok:

Jamie2k9
15th Aug 2010, 19:34
Every single airline has long delays during the peark season. I accept the Jet2 fleet is quiet old and they go tec a bit more but it its peak season. No one seems to be complaining about MON, TOM and TCX which have even longer delays than Jet2. Only last week a FR flight from TFS to Livepool was delayed 12hours by tec problem.

The ATC is having a huge impact on flight to/from Spain, Portugal, France etc.

Build a Bridge and get over it. Delays happon.

LPFR
15th Aug 2010, 20:11
Actually there were quite some complaints, specially MON and TCX, even in this forum recently. And yes, you are absolutely right about the peak season and ATC issues.. It's not uncommon 1-2h delay due to slots, any given day, any given hour...:ugh:

Mr A Tis
16th Aug 2010, 07:27
As frustrating as delays can be, please bear in mind a certain orange airline would often just cancel the flight and give you your money back.
So credit to LS, TCX & ZB for always getting you there, despite delays often caused by uncontrollable factors. I'd rather arrive 12 hours late than not at all.

Rob Courtney
17th Aug 2010, 15:12
Just returned from REU with Jet2 first trip with them and thought they where very good, flights both ways on time and very efficent crew

VillWill
17th Aug 2010, 19:44
Hi Guys and Gals

Just wondering is there any news of Jet2 operating any flights out of Dublin this winter, i seem to remember them doing some ski flights last year.

Going loco
17th Aug 2010, 20:46
Weekly ski series to Chambery on the 737 and possibly some rugby charters to Rome and Edinburgh

Jamie2k9
17th Aug 2010, 23:01
Verona-Brescia will also be operating. Currently not all sik routes are on sale but some of the routes they did last winter are being taken over from TOM this year.

VillWill
18th Aug 2010, 05:32
Thanks for the info guys.

JetRob
18th Aug 2010, 10:39
I believe the Spanish ATC last day of strikes is the 20th of August, so from the 21st then flights should be back to normal. I've heard this from a reliable source in Palma (Majorca) as he is an hotel owner who is flying out on the 20th to Norway.

So as it stands, there maybe delays until that date, i'm flying out with Jet2 on the 24th and i'm hoping that there will be no delays (especially me). But anything can happen!

JR.

darlocst
18th Aug 2010, 17:35
Lots of holiday companies seem to be struggling, with several firms going bust in the last couple of months. Even Thomas Cook & TUI have reported disappointing demand.

Any idea how Jet2 are performing? Are they doing better or worse than last year? I know in late June they said bookings were going reasonably well but have the last couple of months been disappointing?

LPFR
18th Aug 2010, 23:05
Don't know about the yields, although the tickets at Jet2 are not always cheap, sometimes they're up to £300 even 15 days prior departure day, but from the loads that I'm able to see, flights are pretty full, and it's not hard to find flights that are 100% full. But this is summer season, so...Let's wait until something is released about their perfomence for the whole year.

Jamie2k9
18th Aug 2010, 23:18
Just wondering is there any news of Jet2 operating any flights out of Dublin this winter, i seem to remember them doing some ski flights last year.

Jet2 are also operating flights between Dublin and Tel Aviv between September and October. It is also excepted that they will operate during summer 2011 every 9 - 10 days but this still has to be confirmed in the next few weeks but it will more and lightly happen.

LBIA
19th Aug 2010, 10:26
Jet2 are taking part in this year’s annual Hajj as they are set to carry over 2,000 passengers to Jeddah on charter flights for Sky-Fly Connections in Bradford and PAK Travels in Birmingham.

Jet2 will operate a 10 return Boeing 757 trips – 4 flights from both Leeds/Bradford and Manchester and 2 from East Midlands.

LBIA
21st Aug 2010, 14:49
Jet2 have announced that it will operate once weekly Sunday ski departures to Geneva from its Edinburgh and Newcastle bases.

Edinburgh flights will operate from February 20th to March 27th, 2011

Newcastle flights will operate from December 26th, 2010 to January 9th, 2011 and then again from February 20th to March 27th, 2011.

sealink
23rd Aug 2010, 10:02
Never flew with Jet2 until this month when i made 2 return trips. Booked a late holiday to Majorca from BFS returning home to fly out a few days later to JER. I was quite impressed with Jet2. They seem to work hard to keep the flights operating on time. The aircraft seem a little older than others i have flow on. Some of the crew are a little miserable looking. The service is similar to any other low cost carrier. Good job !!

TSR2
26th Aug 2010, 19:20
Just done a dummy booking for 3 Adults and 1 Child on the new Manchester to Paphos route next June.

The prices are horrendous and include (for 3 Adults + 1 Child):
FUEL SURCHARGE £32.00
CC FEE £32.83
BOOKING FEE £49.34

The final price comes in at over £350 per person.

Why the Fuel Surcharge on this route. Flights to Faro on the same date do not have any Fuel Surcharge.

righthandrule
26th Aug 2010, 21:15
Your point being? Search a week later and the price is under £200 including bags.

TSR2
26th Aug 2010, 23:01
My point being
Why the Fuel Surcharge on this route. Flights to Faro on the same date do not have any Fuel Surcharge

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Aug 2010, 04:46
Maybe they absorb the cost on short-haul, but not on the longer routes.

TopazBlue
27th Aug 2010, 09:19
Came home from Palma last night, nothing to do with Jet2. but the buses at Leeds went to another aircraft to bus passengers to the terminal that landed after us, also Jet2 and we had to wait on board a stuffy very hot 737 for half an hour before the buses took us to the teminal. The doors remained closed even after lots of pax asked for them to be opened and as the engines were off, no air conditioning going through cabin, was very uncomfortable for everyone, my father of 72 was very near on passing out, and pax all stood in the aisles so couldn't inform cabin crew. Pilot was not happy and cabin crew asked us to be nice and sarcastic to the bus driver!

On previous Jet2 flights, we have been allowed to walk to the terminal even further than the stand we were on, anyone know why we had to wait for buses and not allowed to walk?

On a positive note, fantastic flights once again with Jet2, only 10 minutes late each way due to Spanish air traffic control, the premium meal prebooked was worth every penny for six quid. Will be booking for next year with Jet2 again.:cool:

righthandrule
27th Aug 2010, 09:54
TSR2 My point being
Quote:
Why the Fuel Surcharge on this route. Flights to Faro on the same date do not have any Fuel Surcharge

Flights to Cyprus are half as far again compared to Faro!

TSR2
27th Aug 2010, 10:31
Well why do they not incorporate the full cost of fuel into the basic fare?

minsterman
27th Aug 2010, 10:36
not to sure why they didnt open doors,unless no stairs then fair enough as big drop etc! your unable to walk from any stand after 14 i think,no barrier or path. The problem yesterday was because lots of craft landed at similar times,some late some early and lba didnt have the means to handle it,not enough busses and corridors full,hence why lba was supposed to be expanded as it needs it at busy times.

TopazBlue
30th Aug 2010, 14:11
Anyone who reads this thread ever found Jet2 £9.99 flights that include taxes for October, November and December? I keep looking every day but can never find the fares that include taxes.

MUFC_fan
30th Aug 2010, 14:21
They simply don't exist.

Their fare breakdown is even more of a con of that of Ryanair.

TSR2
30th Aug 2010, 14:56
Yes they do exist but very few indeed. Look at the monthly low fare finder. One example, LBA - PRG Sunday 17th October - Base Fare £0.99 + Taxes £9.00 = £9.99

MUFC_fan
30th Aug 2010, 15:00
Apologies - I stand corrective.

However, their booking process is by far the worst...by far.

purplehelmet
31st Aug 2010, 12:16
its the same with most if not all airlines though,by the time they put on all the extra's like baggage charge, on line check-in charge, etc,a £9.99 flight cost more like £99.99.
summed up nicely in the song by fascinating aida, cheap flights.
(if you havent heard it you can find it in jet blast, or google it. very funny):D

TopazBlue
31st Aug 2010, 16:39
When we flew to Palma, we went on the newly fitted out cabin with new seats. Those seats are so uncomfortable to sit on, but tolerable for such a short haul flight. I noticed there are no window blinds anymore, the sun was blazing onto me on outbound flight and had to stick my cardigan up at the window to block the sun out. Anyone know why Jet2 took the blinds off the windows? Am thinking something to do with safety, but other airlines still have them.

737 Speedbrakes
31st Aug 2010, 17:03
Window blinds removed to reduce weight.

jet2impress
31st Aug 2010, 17:10
The window blinds have been removed from the 737 only. I know what you mean about the seat been a bit firm, I would still prefer to have the firmer seat and have all the legroom the new seat now gives, rather than have a nice big soft seat and have no legroom. They did carry out months of market research to understand passengers opinion of the new seat, general feedback was the new seat was welcomed by most.

TopazBlue
31st Aug 2010, 17:18
Thanks for the replies, we flew out on the 757 with wingtips and there were no window blinds on that one, and flew back on the 737 Yorkshire plane and no window blinds on that either. Can believe they removed them to reduce weight, but just how much weight do all of them weigh! Far too hot when you are facing the sun :cool:

Firestorm
31st Aug 2010, 17:37
Removal reduces weight, and reduces the number of items for SLF to muck about with and break, this reducing maintenance costs, and increasing the amount of money for senior management bonuses! :ok:

theloudone
31st Aug 2010, 19:25
And dont forget that dodgey in house "recruitment company" :)

Facelookbovvered
31st Aug 2010, 19:45
It might save a few Kilo's in removing the blinds,but on a hot day in Malaga they can help keep the aircraft cool and reduce the APU demands!

The only reason to remove the blinds is to reduce fuel burn, but if your told to maintain high speed or drag your arse around the bay in NCE what's the point?

I guess that if your origin is freight you tend to think of SLF as much the same!

purplehelmet
31st Aug 2010, 20:16
twas rumored that ryanair wanted all there new aircraft fitted without window blinds to save on costs and weight,but irish air regs state they must be fitted so they had to relent.

TopazBlue
31st Aug 2010, 20:27
I noticed this year that on the ground in Palma, they did not put the air conditioning on until we were off the ground and it was hot and stuffy and uncomfortable, also happened when we were waiting for buses at LBA(in previous post) , no air conditioning on. Guess with a low cost airline like Jet2, that A/C burns more fuel when on the ground, and need to save money. It is uncomfortable, but for the short amount of time on the ground you can put up with it.

Will not stop me travelling with Jet2, been travelling with them since they started at Leeds, and can honestly say the longest delay i have ever experienced with them was for only one hour, and that was in Feb when the aircraft we were meant to be going on was stuck in Geneva because a luggage loader had damaged one of the engines. They just got another plane for us to go on out of the hanger, lucky it was winter and they had one spare! Used to swear by Thomson's and Britannia delays were horrendous every time we went with them.:)

COSTABRAVO
31st Aug 2010, 21:31
Hi, Does anyone know how well the Manchester - Reus route is doing?

I've only just found out that they fly to Reus, normally fly Ryanair but will definately use Jet2 from Manchester given the choice.

Reus is fairly unknown to a lot of people so just wondered if it was proving a success?

Thanks.

TSR2
31st Aug 2010, 22:35
The Manchester to Reus route seems quite a favourite.

In July a total of 14,392 pax used this route, an increase of 32% on July 09.

The split between scheduled and charter was 2,337 scheduled and 12,055 charter.

As Jet2 are the only scheduled airline on the route, the load factor is slightly over 87%.

The load factor for the charter airlines is just over 91%.

Firestorm
1st Sep 2010, 07:20
FLB: having been down route too often with an APU that is u/s I agree with you totally. Fortunately the airline that I flew with was too cheap to take out the blinds! Low cost airlines (I'm sure that you know this already) spend too long looking at the bottom right corner of the spreadsheet, and can't see the intangible benefits or damage caused by certain decisions. They can be remarkably short sighted, hence our profession and industry in this country being in the parlous state that it is in.

COSTABRAVO
1st Sep 2010, 08:28
Thanks for your reply TSR2, I'm pleased that this route so far appears to be successful for Jet2, lets hope it continues. Always good to have a choice other than the Irish harp.

freightdoggy dog
1st Sep 2010, 22:31
looks like the 757 boys and gals are going to be busy for 3 months in the winter...a nice top up of the tan down in AKT :ok:

757 Speedbrakes
2nd Sep 2010, 07:51
Ooh really.........?? More BZZ - NHD with that......?

Going loco
2nd Sep 2010, 21:10
Nice to hear the positive market update today. Looks like the volcano hasn't disrupted things too much

darlocst
3rd Sep 2010, 07:15
Looks like summer trading is going well at Jet2.

"The Aviation business has delivered both higher load factors and yields than last year in its scheduled flying operations, despite the disruption to the business caused by the volcanic ash cloud, with continued growth in Jet2holidays."

"Jet2.com continues to expand the number of leisure routes it serves, with further growth planned for Summer 2011"

I'm impressed, especially given the major tour operators have been disappointed with the demand they have seen over the summer.

COSTABRAVO
3rd Sep 2010, 19:51
Its nice to hear positive news from an airline other than Ryanair, pleased that Jet2 are doing well.

Also seems Monarch are having a good summer with the highest ever passenger numbers and in August their load factor was 94%.

Is there a glimmer of hope in the industry??

take-off
3rd Sep 2010, 21:56
Are Jet2 likely to follow maonarch footsteps and offer Majorca all year round,and would they look at serving Gibraltar?:O gibraltar could make a good niche route from BLK as an alternative or compliment to malaga.

EuroChallenger
4th Sep 2010, 17:46
I am pretty certain there were flights to Palma in winter of 07-08 from Leeds with Jet2. Could anyone confirm?

GdLSF
4th Sep 2010, 19:05
Yes and 04/05 as well. It only operated for 2 days but was well patronised when I used it.

galaxy68
7th Sep 2010, 09:01
Yes, we've heard it before, but maybe true this time. I wasnt at the AGM, but someone who was there told me that management said more a/c are expected including 767s for long-haul ops.

DjerbaDevil
9th Sep 2010, 23:24
Interesting Press Release:

*Press Release*
Smart Aviation and Jet2 at 30,000 feet

Smart Aviation are extremely proud to announce their involvement in the filming of Channel 4’s latest Derren Brown television programme - “Hero at 30,000 feet”, screened in the UK on 8th September 2010. Smart sourced the Jet2 aircraft used during the programme and worked closely with the production company and airline in order to ensure the rather extraordinary charter was a great success.

For the unique flight, the aim was to create a realistic cabin environment and to simulate certain on board scenarios, which meant preparing the aircraft for filming using several secret cameras installed within the interior and on the crew. Actors played the part of the passengers to complete the ‘authentic’ airline experience

As the filming required the aircraft to take off, cruise and then land at a chosen alternate airport, Smart made numerous calls to the press offices of both airports involved in order to facilitate the landing, taxi and ground shots requested by the film crew. Smart’s role, liaising between the production company, Jet2 crew and ground staff, as well as the various other parties involved including the two Airports that had agreed to take part in the production, helped to maintain a high degree of safety throughout but also guaranteed that everyone was happy with the final cut.

Smart’s Matthew Savage who attended the filming and was an acting passenger on the flight commented on the day; “It was a totally memorable and unique experience. I cannot commend the Jet2 crew enough for their cooperation (and acting skills!). It was a very long and demanding day coordinating everything but it was extremely rewarding to say that Smart Aviation played an integral part in the creation of the programme”.

EuroChallenger
10th Sep 2010, 20:19
Despite being close to Leeds and even East Mids, surely there is some scope for 2011 for Jet2 @ Doncaster?

rpmac
10th Sep 2010, 20:51
I think Humberside would be of more interest to Jet2,especially as they are based at Leeds and now operate out of EMA.

CabinCrewe
10th Sep 2010, 21:21
GLA or PIK rumoured... ...

True Blue
10th Sep 2010, 22:12
What plans, if any, does Ls have for Bfs in 2011, any new routes? How many aircraft will be based there in summer 11? Looking at the timetable, I thought 3, but I could be wrong. I thought Turkey might have been on the radar out of Bfs with so many services on offer from other bases in 2011.

True Blue

purplehelmet
10th Sep 2010, 23:14
just my thoughts guy's, but i would have thought due to the close(ish) proximity don and hum have to leeds jet2 would be far better off going north of the border to gla, it could be a huge market for them next summer and beyond, also the same with bfs.i also think that 2 757s will be added to the fleet by next april.

pug
11th Sep 2010, 14:53
Jet2 at HUY has been rumoured for years, i think it will stay just that :ugh:

Doncaster would make no obvious sense, when LS opened their EMA base they said that it would serve the Sheffield market.

atcomarkingtime
12th Sep 2010, 11:21
Hey all...ATCO here....sorry to invade the thread again....I sent a letter to JET2 headoffice to the address on their website as the phone calls cost 50p a minute.....at the start of August regarding a flight in July...no reply just yet....do JET2 reply to letters or are they still overwhelmed from the volcanic incident early on in the year?
I have sent a copy now to the CAA but they are asking if JET2 have been given enough time to reply

TSR2
12th Sep 2010, 15:54
Same happened to me so I sent a copy to their Leeds HQ and got a reply almost by return post.

HXdave
13th Sep 2010, 10:22
Going back to 'Hero @ 30 000 feet, can someone answer me the following question:

is it perfectly legal to hypnotise a passenger on an aircraft and then land whilst in a state of 'sleep'?

G-AZUK
13th Sep 2010, 10:40
surely DB could have just snapped his fingers if he needed to be woken up, i'm sure Jet2 didnt plan this on the back of a beermat

HXdave
13th Sep 2010, 10:51
G-AZUK, i'm sure he could have done, if needed. however what i am asking is whether or not it is legal to do this or not. i mean, what would have happened if something had happened to DB, say a heart attack or something else that rended him incapacitated?

purplehelmet
13th Sep 2010, 12:01
hx dave.
im sure they said during the programme that they had to inform the caa about what they were doing, so one would assume it was all legal and above board.
as to db having a heart attack etc, i would guess that there would have been someone else onboard to take over if such a situation arose.

sealink
13th Sep 2010, 12:33
he was hypnotised onboard but was placed in a simulator for the landing. Not the real a/c is my understanding.

GrahamK
14th Sep 2010, 07:03
Glasgow base to be announced today?

737 Speedbrakes
14th Sep 2010, 07:45
Yes

Airline's new routes set to deliver 150 jobs to Glasgow - Scotsman.com (http://www.scotsman.com/news/Airline39s-new-routes-set-to.6529610.jp)

GrahamK
14th Sep 2010, 07:51
Routes are:

Alicante, Paphos, Dalaman, Faro, Palma, Nice, Sharm El Sheikh, Tenerife and Monastir.

So guessing a 733 and 757 to be based (or 2 x 757s?)?

Johnny F@rt Pants
14th Sep 2010, 08:17
1 x 737 and 1 x 757

take-off
14th Sep 2010, 10:33
Significant growth ? Does that mean BLK might be inline for something, Or Just wishfull thinking? Are they stringing along till they can wind BLK base down, hardly got any significant growth there, unless you look at the prices of course:E:E:E:E

TWADDELL
15th Sep 2010, 06:52
Does anyone in the know have any idea if/when Malaga will be added to the Glasgow routes? I'm sure it would sell well as there are plenty of us still missing GSM.

airhumberside
15th Sep 2010, 13:37
There is no obvious room in the new GLA schedules for extra routes in Summer 2011. Malaga isn't the sort of route that would be launched in winter so couldn't see Jet 2 serving GLA-AGP before Summer 2012 at the earliest

wawkrk
22nd Sep 2010, 12:51
I experienced the new seats last week. I think they are really good and well thought out. The increase in leg room is impressive. Also, seatback storage,the smaller tray table and the wire cup holder are spot on and very sturdy for short flights.The old leather seats had a tendency to make you slide forwards.
Flying with Ryanair this week I was able note the difference. New aircraft but knackered tray table so any drinks would slide off,no storage space and leg room poor compared with Jet2.
Jet2 cabin staff are also much more attentive and good humoured.
Some of the Ryanair cabin crew are a bit thick.

Jet22
23rd Sep 2010, 15:51
Is there another one or couple of 757-200 coming over the winter period?
I ask this because, next year all 10 will be stretched. I have taken WED as an example.

LBA has 3 757 out to LCA,PFO & RHO
EMA/NCL/MAN have 2 757 each to RHO & PFO.
GLA has 1 757 to PFO.

If any problems occur which they will no doubt, passengers will have a long delay while they get sorted. Could also help expand at GLA with maybe RHO coming in 2012 summer season.

stuart-travel
23rd Sep 2010, 16:38
Spoke to jet2 at the group travel fair on 22/9/10, plan for more b757 for next summer season 2011 and b767 for summer season 2012.

regards
stuart

airforced
23rd Sep 2010, 18:01
I too flew on a newly kitted out B73 for the first time last week and I'm not as enthusiastic as wawkrk about them. They have their good points, ie increased leg and knee room and no chance for the numpty in front to destroy your enjoyment of the flight by reclining his seat in your face.

However, other than for a short hop from Spain etc I'm not convinced about the comfort of the seat itself. I'm just under 6' tall and the seat squab seems too short to provide adequate support. The lumbar portion of the seat is also a little too firm for my liking too. As for the arm rests, they are just far too narrow and too short to provide a comfortable resting place for the arm.

As an LS passenger from LBA since operations started there I found the old seats adequate but I suppose the new seats will serve a purpose in reducing weight, maintenance etc but I'm not looking forward to my flight to Madeira at Christmas if I'm in one of the newly kitted out machines.

I'm surprised not to have seen any comments about them before so does anyone else out there have a view - good or bad? Are there any LS crew who will share feedback they have received or has no-one noticed!

4Screwaircrew
23rd Sep 2010, 20:04
So far all the feedback I have had about the seats has been positive, that's from passengers on the longer routes like Sharm. The fact that the person in front can't recline into your lap seems to generate most comments.

wawkrk
23rd Sep 2010, 20:06
I am sure Jet2 have done their market re-search. I seem to remember trying these seats or similar in the front few rows of a 757 about 2 years ago. Maybe someone at Jet 2 can comfirm this.Its not possible to please everyone unless you offer full service business class so they must aim to please the average passenger I suppose.They are definately better than Ryanair with the floppy tray table sticking into your stomach even when you are not over weight.

Smoke_On
23rd Sep 2010, 23:22
Does anyone know the reason why LS218 from Arrecife to LBA went tech? Just interested as my parents were due home tonight but now will be home at sometime tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jamie2k9
23rd Sep 2010, 23:48
I don't think the a/c went tec. It was delayed because of the French ATC strike. Most Spanish flights have been delayed all day.

Also a Jet 2 aircraft was stranded in mid-air over Leeds Airport this afternoon because of a tec problem. The wing flaps failed to release.

Leeds plane 'stranded in mid-air' by fault UPDATED - Yorkshire Evening Post (http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Leeds-plane-39stranded-in-midair39.6548004.jp)

Smoke_On
24th Sep 2010, 07:24
Thanks for the info Jamie2k9......

I think the early delay was due to the French, but now the plane is still on the ground in Arrecife (due to depart 7.40 last night) and the passengers were told they were waiting for a part to be shipped in so that's why I was wondering what the problem was, just out of interest.

Thanks.

sastley
24th Sep 2010, 11:05
Due to depart 14.00 according to aena.es

Spotter LBA
24th Sep 2010, 13:24
Crew were out of hours on the Arrecife flight due earlier delays in the day due to the ATC strikes in France so had to be put up in a hotel for rest before opperating the flight back to Leeds. No problems with the aircraft.

sastley
24th Sep 2010, 14:19
Flight still at Lanzarote!!

sastley
24th Sep 2010, 14:36
Departure now estimated at 16.30!!!

BCA03
24th Sep 2010, 15:07
The aircraft infact did have a tech problem. Something about a pitot tube on the right hand side and had to wait on a part flown in from the Uk to Tfs as no scheduled flight to ACE. Then had to be shipped across at some stage today to Ace to be fixed by an engineer, maybe some 15 mins work i guess, then hopefully depart for Lba...

I think yesterday's flying programme in all was pretty bad due to the French ATC taking control of all most everything heading south from the UK

TSR2
24th Sep 2010, 18:10
Departure now estimated at 16.30

Arrival estimated at 21.40

737 Speedbrakes
24th Sep 2010, 19:13
I'm no expert, but if a pitot tube is changed, I'd expect air data calibration to be carried out which I am sure would be more than 15 mins.

BCN BOUND
25th Sep 2010, 07:59
yeah......it takes 15 minutes to set the tower up to work on it!!!!!:ugh:

Smoke_On
25th Sep 2010, 16:37
Thanks for the info everyone..... The flight finally landed at 9.30 last night!

merv32249213
28th Sep 2010, 20:37
Flew home on LS258 flt B757 on 16th of Sept and I can say the seats left me with a num bum (the hour French ATC delay on the ground at Palma did not help). Yes they are bog standard minimum,and as to the brace position,forget it. The safety blurb tells you ensure blinds are to be up for landing (what blinds) .Still you only get what you pay for but does that include the missing covers on some of the above strip lights and half lighting on some seatbelt signs. Would I use them again ,most probably,that is as long as the flight was no more than 2 1/2 hours in length,any longer ,no.
Pity about the flight as the Jet 2 Holiday was good

wawkrk
28th Sep 2010, 21:02
merv32249213
Out of curiosity, which airline would you recommend as a better alternative?

merv32249213
28th Sep 2010, 21:27
WAWKRK
Sorry I cant give you an answer to that one because it seems to be the general trend in "cattle class" and thats put up with it or cough up,I suppose thats progress!!!!

TSR2
28th Sep 2010, 21:33
Out of curiousity, what was your outbound flight like.

wawkrk
28th Sep 2010, 22:56
KLM economy is certainly no better and that is not a criticism,they are no different to most full service airlines. Looking back at short flights in the past, none were really any better in most parts of the world in economy class. More space reduces the number of pax and you have to pay for this.The ultimate tight seating pitch was used by Court Line many years ago for package tours with a 28 inch pitch and a catering pack in the seat back. MOL would have been delighted with this although he would probably have a coin operated catering pack.People are a little bit larger these days and many would not be able to squeeze into such a space because seat design was not so advanced.
I also remember flying from LBA with Britannia in the early days.We ordered 2 meals but were unable to put the tray table down through lack of space and we were both slim.We had to eat off our knees.
In conclusion, Jet2 is more than OK in my experience. it is us the passengers that have created the lack of space as we complain more and more about prices. About 35 years ago at todays currency value, it cost about 1,000 pounds each to fly to Malta.Now that's what I call progress but who knows where it will all end.Maybe double decker seating and no overhead lockers.

TSR2
28th Sep 2010, 23:43
and no overhead lockers

Bit of a thread drift but I remember flying on a Tri-star not all that long ago that had all the bins down the centre of the aircraft removed.

Mr @ Spotty M
29th Sep 2010, 04:49
TSR2.
I think you will find the lockers were not removed as they were never fitted in the first place.
That is my recollection on the L1011 from many moons ago.:(

purplehelmet
29th Sep 2010, 10:37
come on merv, lets be fair your nit picking a bit there aren't you?
missing blinds mean you didn't have to put it up yourself for take-off:rolleyes:,
im sure if jet2 would have delayed your flight to replace a cosmetic missing light strip cover and replace a bulb in the seat belt sign you would have been an even more unhappy bunny.
as for your numb bum,did you try in seat exercise?:ooh:

wawkrk
29th Sep 2010, 12:45
One morning in mid-winter I was on the early KLM. The aircraft was freezing as the APU was unserviceable. Also no spare ground power unit and the flight was delayed at the last minute by ATC.You could see your breath in the cabin and even the windows inside were frosting up. I think we sat there for 30 minutes or more before de-icing started. It was terrible. I learned that the APU had been kaput for weeks but as a non critical item, they were in no hurry to fix it in Amsterdam.
A missing bulb is nit picking to be honest. Jet 2 by comparison are absolute luxury (Like Yorkshire Airlines) only the fantastic mushy peas are missing.

merv32249213
29th Sep 2010, 14:00
OK I rest my case perhaps I was nitpicking so I will lower my head below the sandbags:D

JKKne
5th Oct 2010, 13:35
Are Jet2 still using the Mint Airways 757 on loan?

Sure I saw it overhead when I was up in Ponteland t'other day

DjerbaDevil
5th Oct 2010, 16:56
EC-LBC last flew for JET2 on 26SEP2010 LPA-NCL and the other MINT AIRWAYS B752, EC-LHL, has been flying for TUI Germany for the last two or three weeks, perhaps more.

The JET2 fleet would appear to be fully operative at the moment.:ok:

david1994
6th Oct 2010, 20:11
Any chance of BFS getting the B757-200 back?

regards

JKKne
7th Oct 2010, 09:55
EC-LBC last flew for JET2 on 26SEP2010 LPA-NCL and the other MINT AIRWAYS B752, EC-LHL, has been flying for TUI Germany for the last two or three weeks, perhaps more.

The JET2 fleet would appear to be fully operative at the moment.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Thanks for the info

purplehelmet
7th Oct 2010, 18:30
Anyone know if there's any plans to have more of the 757s fitted with winglets this winter?

AvWRup
12th Oct 2010, 15:28
Jet2 are operating 10 return flights to Mecca for the annual Hajj pilgrimage. (http://bit.ly/bFHuyh) Are they using their existing aircraft or leasing?

Mr @ Spotty M
12th Oct 2010, 15:56
Why would they lease, they will like the other UK operators taking Hajj pilgrims use their own fleet.

4Screwaircrew
12th Oct 2010, 16:48
We will use our own 757s, as we did last year.

jet2impress
13th Oct 2010, 10:23
Just 10 flights?? Thought 20 flights had been planned?

HXdave
13th Oct 2010, 14:00
Jet2impress,

10 flights there

10 flights back

?

LBIA
13th Oct 2010, 14:40
Jet2 are running 4 X flights to Jeddah from both Leeds/Bradford and Manchester and 2 x from East Midlands for Hajj this year.

Hope that heps

jet2impress
13th Oct 2010, 14:43
You've hit the nail on the head there HXdave. :ok:

JKKne
13th Oct 2010, 14:58
During the pilgramage I assume some routes normally carried out by the 757 from an airport such as NCL will switch to 737?

Or is there not such a demand on the fleet

AvWRup
13th Oct 2010, 15:21
Is anyone going to take a photo of it? Any farewell ceremonies at the airport? Would be keen to get a photo...

purplehelmet
13th Oct 2010, 15:37
Is anyone going to take a photo of it? Any farewell ceremonies at the airport? Would be keen to get a photo...

um! wrong thread per chance?:confused:

AvWRup
13th Oct 2010, 15:41
No no, right thread. Often when people go off on Hajj there's farewell/good luck ceremonies at the airport. I guess Jet2's PR team will probably release a happy snap

purplehelmet
13th Oct 2010, 15:51
No no, right thread. Often when people go off on Hajj there's farewell/good luck ceremonies at the airport. I guess Jet2's PR team will probably release a happy snap

Oh right, sorry my bad, i never knew that,we learn something new every day as the saying goes.:ok:
i was thinking you were referfing to the BA 757s:O

AvWRup
14th Oct 2010, 19:35
Already got some lovely pics of Stokesy last week :ok:

righthandrule
14th Oct 2010, 20:09
During the pilgramage I assume some routes normally carried out by the 757 from an airport such as NCL will switch to 737?

Or is there not such a demand on the fleet

The 757 fleet calms down over the next week with several routes such as Dalaman, Cyprus, Rhodes, Corfu etc finishing from all Jet2 bases. Routes to Palma, Murcia and Alicante for example downgrade to 737's mostly due to less demand over winter, with 757's used on the longer sun routes i.e. TFS, ACE, SSH which plenty of room for the odd charter.

juswant2know
16th Oct 2010, 11:14
Many thanks for that information LBIA , 8th May 2010 .
After a series of letters exchanged with Jet2 we have managed to get our 'out of hours' charge for car hire back after 5 months . We wonder how many people who were inconvenienced by the diversion of G-LSAA from Alicante to Manchester on the 8th May 2010 even bothered trying for compensation or reimbursement .
Officially Jet2 are a point to point airline & assumes no responsibility for additional losses or expenses incurred as a result of the diversion .
We would prefer not to have this sort of diversion again as it helped to ruin our holiday this May .

DADDY-OH!
16th Oct 2010, 11:42
juswant2know

Diversions occur for a reason & that reason is more often than not, to do with the safety of the aircraft, pax & crew. '...We would prefer not to have this sort of diversion again....' is such a crass & banal statement that it shows your ignorance of & failure to grasp the gravity of the situation.

If you want a cast iron guarantee that you won't have to experience an inconvenient diversion again- DRIVE YOURSELF & GO BY CAR!!!

Pillock!

wawkrk
16th Oct 2010, 14:43
Nice one DADDY-OH.
Unfortunately there are many more dick heads who think in the same way with their small number of brain cells.

TSR2
16th Oct 2010, 15:24
Absolutely no need whatsoever to hurl personal insults at a new poster.

If you feel that the post contained inappropriate comment, then educate not insult.

Flightrider
16th Oct 2010, 16:27
Sadly it is not uncommon for airlines to "divert" for no safety reason, but merely due to the fact that the aircraft is needed elsewhere to bail out their flying programme at other bases. Without knowing the circumstances, flaming an earlier poster for having sought compensation from Jet2 is seriously OTT. The diversion to MAN could have been due to a flap failure requiring longer LDA than available at Leeds (i.e. safety related) but equally well could have been because aircraft at MAN were tech and the LBA aircraft was needed at MAN to operate the next outbound to reduce their delay - in which case, the pax inbound to LBA got the raw end of the bargain. I'd wait to know the full circumstances before passing judgement.

walterthesofty
16th Oct 2010, 16:45
wawkrk, i read your post regarding the apu that had been kaput " for weeks" with interest, FYI the apu is regarded as fairly important, which is why the MEL lists a u/s APU as a cat C item, which means the defect can only legally be carried for a maximum period of ten days, i realise you havent a clue about the maintenance of aircraft but rest assured airlines dont decide how long defects are caried, a legally binding document called the MEL does that.
Finally how anyone paying as little to fly as they do with the lo-costs can whine about a bit of missing trim or a non essential filament in the cabin being u/s is beyond me:ugh:

wawkrk
16th Oct 2010, 18:57
Yes you right TSR2, I apologise for my crass comments.
I guess I don't have the patience any more to take note after travelling for donkey's years and hearing many daft comments.

Sorry juswant2know.

DADDY-OH!
19th Oct 2010, 00:30
Justwant2know

"Pillock" may have been a tad harsh. However, as a Captain, I am sick to the back teeth of 'Armchair Pilots' judging & second guessing difficult decisions made by a dedicated & professional team who have either risked their lives or taken on huge debt in order to be part of the Flight Crew on an Airliner.

Next time you post, I suggest you provide more information i.e. "...In the Captain's PA to the Pax, he mentioned the reason for the diversion as...." whereby the reason would probably be:

Technical (Aircraft developed a fault) & may require maintenance.

Medical (An unwell pax) may require medical assistance & hospital treatment.

Operational (Covers a multitude of reasons) destination airfield closure, airspace closures, fuel shortages, bad weather, company orders... just about anything.

I wasn't being 'High & Mighty' but NO-ONE likes to divert. So can I ask, were you one of the malcontents who quietly accepted that "These things happen" & let the crew get on with the job or one of the "I'm not having this, I want compensation" Brigade giving stacks of hassle to an already tired & stressed out crew?

Answers on a postcard to....

Facelookbovvered
19th Oct 2010, 10:21
Take a chill pill man, you are either a professional Captain or your operating when you and your crew is tired out (fatigued?) and stressed, as well as having risked your life? and bankrupted yourself!!!!!

Our paying passengers (that help pay off your debts) do not always understand the whys and wherefores of what we do and yes some are more than unreasonable in their expectations, but that applies to any product or service and is not a function of price is it?

We would not want our pax to feel that they are flying with a raving stressed out egomaniac (Capt) simply because they have chosen a low cost airline (or not so low prices if flying out of LBA with LS)

Chill

rpmac
19th Oct 2010, 11:11
Daddy Ho

Your reasonable and informed post was appreciated, thank you.

buzz boy
19th Oct 2010, 17:06
daddy-oh, I think our fare paying (wage paying) customers deserve a little more respect and understanding. You have ranted on pprune about your collegues, jet2, our passengers etc, you are obviously not happy and a very stressed person, perhaps a change of career is called for.....or a as someone else said a BIG chill pill. :ugh::ugh:

DADDY-OH!
19th Oct 2010, 23:08
Thanks, rpmac. Feel free to PM me anytime.

I think I'll stick to the Forums where like-minded dedicated professionals swap rumour, gossip & industry related thoughts, experiences & opinions, whilst leaving this one to the Spotters, enthusiasts, contented & malcontented self loading freight. But before I go....

Facelookbovvered

I take it by your punctuation around my comments pertaining to people risking their lives or enduring financial hardship to become Flight Crew, that you have an issue with that statement.... would you care to elaborate?

Cheerio!

paully
20th Oct 2010, 11:32
Daddy-Oh

Delighted to see you are leaving us, especially when you have indicated your deep distaste for the passengers who have the misfortune to have to sit behind one so arrogant and distainful. What a shame you have to carry them in order to get paid. Tragic

I can only conclude your miserable time on this forum by quoting your own words to you............

Pillock

DADDY-OH!
20th Oct 2010, 20:05
Paully

99.9% of all passengers are a delight to carry 99.9% of the time.

My disappointment, dismay, bile & venom are directed at the 0.1% of pax. 0.1% of the time who take it as a personal affront that THEIR flight is delayed, diverted or downright awful. And seek to gripe, whinge, moan, bleat & squeal demanding compensation because a flight crew has dealt with a (non) event safely & professionally albeit as an inconvenience to them as well as the pax. "...who pay our wages..."

THESE people should weigh up the pro's & con's (inc. risks) of air travel & if their journey absolutely, definitely unconditionally cannot entertain any element of risk, delay or hiccup then they should consider alternative methods or modes of transport for their hard earned trip.

In my 25 years flying I've been part of crews that have had to deal with aggro from pax. for the most banal of reasons. From kicking off because we couldn't fly them into Cancun during a devastating Hurricane resulting in a diversion to Orlando-Sanford to a 'Sit-in' when we landed at Gatwick over an hour early due to very strong tailwinds whereby Pax DEMANDING the Cabin Crew got on their mobile phones to re-book their taxis & pay for beverages in the terminal while they waited for their taxis.

I do my job because I love it & the only thing I hate about it & I mean REALLY hate is the fact I can't permit Flight Deck visits. Even if my son, father or grandparents are aboard they can't come in to see where I work & that is unfortunately extended to the fare paying pax. In the old days (pre 9/11), it was as much a joy for us (the flight deck) to allow nervous, first-time-flyers or 'interested' kids with 'uninterested' parents, whilst the aircraft was in flight. I REALLY hate the removal of this privilege. I just don't like the very occasional semi-professional whingers that I encounter on those very occasional flights whereby something untoward happens... which is very, VERY occasionally.

I hope this clears things up.

Goodnight.

righthandrule
20th Oct 2010, 22:03
I completely agree with DADDY-OH!, whilst I’m not up in the air with Jet2, I am based on the ground at LBA and some of the things that passengers come up with is stupid.

On several occasions passengers have ganged up to start rumours and outright bully staff, you get one 'know it all aviation expert' who gives you their super intelligent opinion who then goes and gets other passengers to join in. Last summer on one if its few visits to LBA, G-LSAD had hydraulic issues at LBA, one man got extremely verbal (and personally I would have offloaded) saying we were lying, the aircraft was not tech and that it had being used for a different flight, how he has contacts in Jet2 ops and they had told him it was still in Palma, when in fact the aircraft (LSAD) was sat right outside. We took him just out of the gate to show him, and he started telling us that he was an engineer for Thomas Cook at Manchester and he had never seen such blatant lies about his flight. Needless to say we got the First officer to come have a word and he went off with his tail between his legs.

Whist I am not saying this happens that often, I can certainly agree with Daddy, that people have to understand that things NEVER ALWAYS run to plan, and in the situation above, educating the so called 'engineer' - who you would think would appreciate the fact that we are not putting him on an aircraft with a tech fault, resolved his gripe.

We on the ground do our best to help and educate passengers wherever possible, and as stated by Daddy-oh, 99.9% are nice people, it just ruins it all when you get one poisonous passenger that makes all our jobs extremely hard, when at the end of the day no matter what role or company it is, we are all here to make passengers journey as safe, efficient and pleasant as possible.

easyflyer83
20th Oct 2010, 22:53
I'm afraid I have to agree too. Passengers love a good old conspiracy theory when in actual fact they don't have a clue. Not their fault at all as they are not "in the know" quite often but it can be annoying.

One of the more common conspiracy's of course is the cancellation of a flight and then offering the next flight. Many usually believe it is to consolidate the two flights thus saving the airline money. However, they never seem to pick up on the fact that the a/c may well have a full load to bring back.

TSR2
20th Oct 2010, 23:21
Mmmmm .. I think you are missing the point. It is Daddy Oh's general attitude as a proffesional pilot that is being questioned. Yes, we all know there are plenty of obnoxious and arrogant passengers these days, but you as airline staff should be able to rise above it.

easyflyer83
21st Oct 2010, 00:23
I am not willing to judge his professionalism as a Flight crew member purely from a forum. I don't know the guy and I never work with him so it would be wrong of me to do that. Having controvercial views (which I am sure he doesn't publicly view at work in in front of or directly to pax) does not make you unprofessional.

If his attitude "stinks" at work then absolutely your point is upheld but I don't believe any of us know that do we?

By the way I am not a pilot, i'm cabin crew so my argument is not a stand of solidarity but pure common sense. I am not branding anyone who I haven't seen in action, as it were.

DADDY-OH!
21st Oct 2010, 01:16
Easy83 & Righthandrule

Thanks for the support. If it's any consolation both of you do thankless miracles, I couldn't do your jobs as I tend not to tolerate fools. At least we have an armoured door to shield us from the occasional moron, however your teams must meet dozens!!

Viva October 31st & Viva the End of Season Bash!!

Thanks once again!

DO!
:ok:

dwshimoda
21st Oct 2010, 05:15
I fully agree with Daddy-Oh on this, and unlike easyflyer, I have flown with him. Armchair enthusiasts p**s me off with their suppositions.

Certain PAX need to understand that air travel is only as safe as it is for many reasons - a key one of which is the decision of the Skipper and flight crew. Throwing your teddy out of the pram because you have paid for a seat to XXX and ended up in YYY doesn't help anyone if there are genuine reasons for the diversion. Or perhaps you'd like to end up dead, but at least be where your ticket said you would be???

Two things that have been briefly mentioned, but not fully explained:

1) I know of no airline that will routinely divert it's aircraft; it screws the program up, incurs costs of moving PAX, it costs a fortune positioning empty aircraft, and leads to crew running out of hours.

2) I know of no FD crew that would choose to divert without a very good reason. Not least of which is because they probably live near the original destination, and their car is parked there! If it is safe and legal to go, we go. If it isn't, we don't.

So please, while the more sensitive of you are upset with Daddy-Oh's way of expressing things, you need to understand that the chap whinging about his divert should see a much bigger picture, rather than his minor inconvenience. (For which he has now been "compensated" (reimbursed?) for.

DW.

pwalhx
21st Oct 2010, 09:15
Travelling a lot for work as well as leisure I have been subject to several diversions, at no fault of the carrier. I have never just been stranded and some form or arrangement to get you to the final destination has been provided, be that taxi or coach, even Ryanair got me from EMA to LPL by coach.

I am puzzled how a diversion to an airport 60-70 miles away from your destination ruined a holiday.

DADDY-OH!
21st Oct 2010, 12:18
Thanks for that, dwshi'

May see you in MAN next season, if the Transfer Request comes off.... and we are both still here.....

Cheers, Matey!!
:ok:

crispey
22nd Oct 2010, 10:09
It was good to read 3724 DADDY-OH.As a PPL with a lifelong interest in aviation it was a priviledge to be able to get a flight deck visit from time to time.I did manage to speak to 2 of your colleagues on the flightdeck in MAN one morning(before departure of course) on the MAN-PIS and they were a delight.

I hope this morning's sudden return to MAN for the LS 791 doesn't cause too many problems.The PAX would have had lovely views of The Peak District as they went round the DAYNE hold a few times.

victoria73
25th Oct 2010, 20:27
Any news on jet2 announcing any more new routes from Belfast they have been very quiet for a few years now or they tired of belfast now and concentrating on there mainland airports.

JonnyBfs
25th Oct 2010, 21:01
Wonder could a LCA service work? or BJV maybe?
Bodrum will always have a high load. Larnaca/Paphos is a big market. Only TCX service Cyprus - quite expensive

DjerbaDevil
27th Oct 2010, 19:57
How about this suggestion?:

Last year JET2 recruited B767 Type Rated pilots, as they proposed to enter the long haul market. On at least two occasions in the last 12 months, it seemed negotiations were well under way to acquire two B763(ER)s, which deals were finally unsuccessful.

If JET2 need to increase their fleet by approximately two B737s and two B752s to cope with their expanded programme and new operating base (GLA) for 2011 summer, perhaps they may give some consideration to acquire B763(ER)s instead of the B752s. It would be an advantage to ease the larger airframes into the organisation over a period of time and it would probably also bring new long haul charter business opportunities prior to the proposed JET2 long haul programme launch in 2011 or 2012. (If there is going to be a long haul programme at all.)

Looking at the listings of the B763(ER)s, which are in storage presently, they would appear to be more plentiful and therefore possibly better buys, than the B752s in storage, which are fewer in number.

wawkrk
27th Oct 2010, 21:28
Slightly of topic sorry but relevant. I totally agree with Daddy-OH's opinion of flying dross.
I remember once departing from LBA. A guy from rentaplank sitting next to me leaned across the isle and said to his wife, he, the Captain, is trying to kill time. She said how do you know that.The plank replied, last year, we took off in the opposite direction.

Many years ago, my wife and I were on a flight from Larnaca to Manchester aboard a British Airtours Tristar.A passenger had a heart attack over Germany so we diverted into the old Munich airport. We had to eventually disembark but we could not go through into the terminal immediately because the airport was not prepared for our arrival, and, nobody was sure if we might go back onto the aircraft.We were directed into a hangar but it had plenty of seats prepared for us. Many underclass passengers were angry and complaining and swearing and saying it was disgusting.After about 30 minutes, the Captain to his great credit, came to face the angry mob.(Why they were angry I cannot explain)
The Captain told us, he was very sorry but because of an earlier delay in Manchester, the flight crew would be out of hours so he could not continue the flight.Another crew had been dispatched from Manchester so we could do nothing else but wait.There was uproar. Then after about another 30 minutes, a door opened at the back of the hangar and some ladies brought in trolleys with sandwiches and drinks.The mob attacked the trolleys filling their bags and pockets so there was not enough left for us handful of humans.I felt so ashamed to be British. But, it became worse, the loudmouths in the mob called everybody together and proclaimed they were going to phone the Sun newspaper. It was terrible. After another wait, we were informed that a meal was being prepared in the restaurant and we could leave soon. Eventually the same door at the back opened and the mob ran towards the door en-masse.My wife and I continued sitting patiently. Another lady who was obviously in charge, walked past us to the other end of the hangar from the mob, she smiled and beckoned us to follow towards another door through to the restaurant. The were mob were aghast and started running, it was so dammed funny.
The meal which was steak and vegetables was great and obviously prepared at short notice for more than 300 pax. The airport did a great job but many were complaining about food for god's sake. We were then allowed through into the terminal. We arrived back in Manchester about 12 hours late.
These days I pretend to be a foreigner.

Ian Brooks
27th Oct 2010, 23:35
wawkrk
You only need one complainer and the lemmings follow

Ian B

zfw
28th Oct 2010, 07:19
Friendly Low Fares.............where did this come from? Its blatantly not true.
I used to have the pleasure of flying with Jet2 regularly from Man, but sometime last year there seemed to be a marked change in the pricing, whereas you used to be able to book a flight for about 30 quid all in, it now appears that even if you have a £4.99 out and £50.00 return it still comes to about 250-60 quid. try it, wife and i have had hours of fun{not}.
So ive booked Easy for the mid May jaunt as its £245 all in including luggage for 2 of us, same day with Jet2 £557 for 2, and its been like that since the seats were released. Even Monarch and Thomson are cheaper.

pwalhx
28th Oct 2010, 07:35
zfw you cannot generalise on one booking, it may well be the lower fares on the particular route you wanted have been sold or conversely Jet2 feel they dont have to offer such low prices because they can fill the flight. This is their economic decision.

So welcome to the free market you have voted with your feet and gone to Easy and got a price you wanted.

zfw
28th Oct 2010, 07:40
Its most definitely NOT just the one flight when looking at other destinations JET2 are by far the most expensive unfortunately as i used to enjoy the experience.

zfw

Hipennine
28th Oct 2010, 09:02
Got to gree with zFw, the add-ons in taxes and charges are now substantial, and make FR look charitable !

righthandrule
28th Oct 2010, 09:42
Does anyone actually care? Perhaps we need re-educating in the low cost business model.
High fare means tough titties you have missed out on the cheap seats and the flight is full, with only the last few remaining seats left at a premium price. Once again people moaning about the add ons, well they are OPTIONAL! What's so bad about them? From £9.99 for an OPTIONAL 22kg bag, cheapest in the dam low cost Market, £6 for an OPTIONAL meal, not bad. About £12 for a weeks OPTIONAL insurance (age/dest dependent) once again, not bad priced. £3.99 to reserve a seat or from £9.99 for 36" legroom seat, both OPTIONAL.

At the end of the day this is just your one example of Jet2 being expensive, I got my flight to Malaga for less than £60 return including a bag, yet I did not bring on the fanfare and go on about hoe expensive easyjet, bmibaby and Ryanair were. If you don't like it, use someone who is cheaper instead of moaning to people who quite honestly couldn't care anymore.

zfw
28th Oct 2010, 09:57
"High fare means tough titties you have missed out on the cheap seats and the flight is full, with only the last few remaining seats left at a premium price".

Err no

These prices were looked at originally when the summer 11 programme was released and have remained at the same price since.

I,m aware of how the LO-Cost model works {1st row 4 quid 2nd row 8 quid etc etc} but these have been Jet2s price since the outset, as i was pointing out Jet2 AIN'T the LO-Cost friendly airline anymore.
zfw

TSR2
28th Oct 2010, 15:09
Once again people moaning about the add ons, well they are OPTIONAL

Not true. Not all add-ons are optional.
Taxes and Charges. - No choice but to pay.
Check-In Charge. - If you want to fly, you have to check-in.
Booking Fee. - How else can you purchase a flight.
Fuel Supplement. - If the fuel costs are known many months in advance, should this charge not be incorporated into the basic fare.
Baggage. - Difficult to travel on holiday without hold baggage.

Jet2 is no different to any other low-cost airline when it comes to their pricing stategy. Some people may prefer a true all-inclusive price whilst others may argue that genuine options should remain optional to give greater flexibilty and choice.

Personally, I would prefer that all non-optional items be incorporated in the advertised base fare and as such, be able to purchase on a 'the price you see is the price you pay' basis, with the ability to enhance your travel experience by pre-purchasing selected seats, in-flight meals or additional baggage allowance over 20Kg.

SWBKCB
2nd Nov 2010, 08:29
Dutch spotters website Scramble reporting that a Transavia B.737-800 is to come to Jet2 after it's lease ends in December?

Fernanjet
2nd Nov 2010, 11:03
Personally, I would prefer that all non-optional items be incorporated in the advertised base fare and as such, be able to purchase on a 'the price you see is the price you pay' basis, with the ability to enhance your travel experience by pre-purchasing selected seats, in-flight meals or additional baggage allowance over 20Kg.

go to Easyjet then....the price you see is the price you pay on their website.

Baggage not included but is optional...£18 return is extremely good compared to other airlines.

JKKne
2nd Nov 2010, 23:14
Just thought I'd give my impression on Jet2 after I flew with them for the first time from LPA to NCL (generally I used binter then BA back to NCL)

Flight deck were incredibly informative and good natured, cabin crew were attentive though seemed to challenge Ryanair when it came to the desire to sell

It was a night flight and they didn't dim the lights (take off aside) until about 2 and a 1/2 hours in when they finished selling so if you wanted sleep it would have been difficult.

Seats were a little uncomfortable, not much padding support and the flimsy armrests seemed a bit pointless why have them if they are going to be like that, liked the twirly cup holder though you still have to open the tray table for the bottle of wine or your mixer etc! Double twirly cup holders? Legroom was standard fayre, not great comfort but not exactly business class prices!

Interior was clean though the lack of air nozzle (technical term missing :8 ) was annoying as it was absolutely roasting in the cabin!

I was hoping I'd get the handheld IFE but wasn't on this flight which I thought strange as it's one of their longest so stuck to Bill Bryson

Overall for the price it was a good experience, felt more like a charter flight than easyjet does. The change of flight times to a 23.30 departure from LPA mean I'll probably stick with my previous routing for work but I wouldn't hesistate recommending them to those who prefer direct routings and aren't bothered about flight times from the local airport

On a side, I flew in the white Jet2 757 (didn't catch the reg sadly) I can imagine that aircraft being incredibly uncomfortable on the flights to NYC from NCL and LBA

TSR2
3rd Nov 2010, 00:48
go to Easyjet then....the price you see is the price you pay on their website.

Yes, I am aware of that and if easyjet can do it then so can Jet2 and Monarch. Unfortunately though, at this moment easyjet do not offer pre-selection of seating.

itsonthebox
3rd Nov 2010, 13:24
JKK,

Spot on re the seats, very uncomfortable due to the lack of padding, they don't recline and have useless stubby armrests. Anything over 2 hours and you get chronic backache. Obviously they have done this to reduce weight to save fuel and fatten the profits. If you lean back hard enough it will snap a cross member that holds up the tray on the back of your seat. That then means the whole row behind you is u/s, as that tray will now impede emergency evacuation !!!:uhoh:

Cabin heat was high so the Cabin Crew could a) sell more drinks and reach their spend per head or b) send you to sleep so they could have a rest. Just keep pressing the attendant call button and ask the number 1 to ask the captain to turn the heat down and keep pressing it if they ignore your request. They are meant to be friendly and customer focused after all not snake oil salesmen/women

You won't get the hand held I.F.E at the moment because the boss of retail forgot to order the I.F.E chargers and someone else thought that loading them on the a/c in a draw above the hot ovens would be a good idea...horse and cart comes to mind...bet you the young thrusting managers didn't tell PM that :eek:

Going to New York for xmas...told the mother in law in Newcastle, whose going there crimbo shopping again to book B.A, Either in Business or Premium Economy and to go via LHR. I'm sorry but Its comparing the Premier League with the STL !! Chelsea at The Shed End or Whitely Bay with a waterlogged pitch.... postponed yet again. Oh and she gets to spend some serious money in the T5 shopping mall instead of a few fruit machines and a Burger King at Newcastle

Purely and simply its done once a year to keep flightdeck current on EFOS and flog a few seats to cover the costs and get some advertising/marketing splash in the local rags

All white fuselage... ahh that's known affectionately to the crews as the "Flying Tamp0n" :O

Just wait till you get to go on "The Nike" a/c with all the ticks down the side, be a bit bugg'rd though if PM changes the baggage allowance ha ha

Anyway its Binter / B.A all the way mate...we all have a choice

Deaf Tortoise
3rd Nov 2010, 14:23
keep flightdeck current on EFOS

I think you probably meant ETOPS.

easyflyer83
3rd Nov 2010, 15:51
itsonthebox you talk utter rubbish. I don't work for Jet2 but whilst Spend per head is something crew are targetted on the other myth is that heating is turned down to sell hot drinks. In actual fact, and this is from experience, it's very hard to keep nearly 200 or more pax entirely happy re: temperature as some will be too warm and others cold. Lets not forget that the crew also have to endure cabin conditions and you will rarely find crew who are willing to excessively heat the cabin just to sell another couple of drinks.

Certainly at my airline we try to keep the temperature pleasant as especially when the cabin is too warm it leads to all kinds of problems. i.e Medicals. We too work on SPH and are a low cost carrier.

jet2impress
3rd Nov 2010, 16:08
What are you talking about??

The temperature has to be very high to stimulate sales. The complaints from passengers would just not be worth it. People usually complain that it's too cold. We don't notice the lower temperatures as much whilst we are dashing up and down serving the passengers.

The flights to EWR do not need to be operated to keep ETOPS approval! Several ETOPS flights have been operated this year to other destinations in Canada and Florida.

As for the new seat. They carried out tonnes for research over a 2-3 year period which included passenger feedback. One of the reasons they went with it was that most passengers agreeded it improved the travelling experience. I agree it's a little on the firm side, but the extra space the seat gives you is excellent. I'd rather have that extra legroom and a slightly firmer seat than have a bid squishy seat and have no legroom at all. The only broken tables I have seen are when the latch has broke due to too much been crammed in the magazine rack behind the table. Even if it did break, it wouldn't u/s the row as the whole tray assembly can be removed in around 30 seconds with just an alan key!!!

The IFE media players have never been stored above the ovens. They have always been loaded in a trolly in the galley. And we have had IFE on and off for a number of years now and storing them that way has never been done.

wawkrk
3rd Nov 2010, 20:12
What a load of b***ocks. Heating turned up to sell more drinks.
Jesus, only scallies would make such a statement.Put your copy of The Sun down and listen.Never been on a flight where I have been bloody warm enough, and thats in more than one thousand flights as SLF.

JKKne
3rd Nov 2010, 20:35
The temperature has to be very high to stimulate sales. The complaints from passengers would just not be worth it. People usually complain that it's too cold. We don't notice the lower temperatures as much whilst we are dashing up and down serving the passengers. I agree you can't please all of the people all of the time, but the option to have the 'nozzle' with the cooler air coming out would have been nice, certainly on a 4 and a half hour flight anyway

As for the new seat. They carried out tonnes for research over a 2-3 year period which included passenger feedback. One of the reasons they went with it was that most passengers agreeded it improved the travelling experience. I agree it's a little on the firm side, but the extra space the seat gives you is excellent. I'd rather have that extra legroom and a slightly firmer seat than have a bid squishy seat and have no legroom at all. Jet2 do seem to take notice of customers and every dealing I've had with them on this my first foray was positive, from the check in to flight deck. I can see the benefits of the seat in terms of legroom but for a longer flight I'm looking for comfort, I found it fairly bony and I assume it'll only get worse as more bums go onto the seats!

The legroom was indeed generous, comparitive to the other direct flights I've used in the past with the charters but even a little more padding would do.

My general overall experience was incredibly positive and as I said I've no hesitation recommending them for those that use local airports and city break/bucket and spade routes because they offer that bit more than easyjet and the charters.

One thing I did bring up with the cabin crew was the 'great flight times' that were advertised. My flight originally was supposed to depart at 18.00 and arrive around 22.10 into NCL but was altered to leave LPA 23.30 and got back at an ungodly hour, it being the end of half term (me not realising this until noticing a child packed flight) wasn't the best flight for families but I'd guess this was out of J2's control as they enter winter schedules

NRU74
3rd Nov 2010, 20:59
Unfortunately though, at this moment easyjet do not offer pre-selection of seating.Although I can't find it on EZY's website, last weekend's Times or Telegraph reported that Easyjet are abandoning SpeedyBoarding [I think from mid November] and are going to allocate seats in future.
Not,I suspect, for entirely altruistic reasons.

easyflyer83
3rd Nov 2010, 21:57
It is looking likely that Easyjet will adopt allocated seating but it won't be until atleast the spring. The mid November you have in your head is a strategy announcement that is due to be made by Carolyn McCall on the 16th.

jet2impress
3rd Nov 2010, 22:53
The air nozzle or gasper vent you refer to is an option when the aircraft is originally ordered from new. I can't imagine that this would be very easy or economical to be added as a retro fit. Even now many brand new 777's are ordered by airlines without the gasper units and those aircraft operate on ultra long haul routes.

Flightrider
4th Nov 2010, 09:06
The BA 757-236 aircraft were all ordered without individual passenger air vents and as a result, all aircraft delivered to Air Europe (which were built to the same spec) also had this anomaly. I don't know why, but these aircraft have been like that since day one. I'd presume that you were on one of the three Jet2 757s which is a -236. No conspiracy theory to drive up drinks sales.

COSTABRAVO
6th Nov 2010, 12:01
Just saw this aircraft for sale on ebay and immediately thought of Jet2 as a potential buyer:E

Boeing 737-275 CARGO READY TO FLY!!!: eBay Motors (item 160502563641 end time Nov-15-10 08:42:58 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boeing-737-275-CARGO-READY-FLY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255eb2c339QQitemZ160502563641QQp tZMotorsQ5fAircraft#ht_32425wt_939)

:D

apaul
6th Nov 2010, 13:45
Re Righthandrule's earlier defence of Jet2's charges - the cost of a hold bag has now gone up to £15.99 - and in reality it is more than that as a hold bag increases the charge for online booking. While the meals and insurance are not expensive in themselves they are preloaded when booking and it takes more than one click to get rid off them. This preloading and lack of transparency on the final prices in the first two stages of booking should make Jet2 ripe for a complaint to the OFT.

Deaf Tortoise
6th Nov 2010, 14:01
I am just a mere Captain, not an Office Mogul,

and I have tried personally telling P.M. (on 2 occasions) that his passengers complain about prices and charges not being transparent or avoidable, or both.

I even suggested a first-come first-served, decreasing flat-fare.
"The price you see on the screen is the price you pay, including all taxes and one hold bag."
Since no one seriously believes the "Fly to XYZ for £29.99" anymore.

He assured me that I was wrong, and that "Market research continues to prove that
the lowest headline fare attracts the customers eye".

So I have tried, as have many others.

And that is another reason why I enjoy giving business to B.A.
Sometimes their prices are surprisingly competitive,
and "What you see is what you pay".

:(:(

Ballymoss
6th Nov 2010, 22:28
He assured me that I was wrong, and that "Market research continues to prove that
the lowest headline fare attracts the customers eye".

Would explain why he drives a Maybach rather than a C Class:hmm:

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

purplehelmet
7th Nov 2010, 00:39
Errr-humm ballymoss.
One dosen't drive a maybach! One employs someone to drive a maybach for One,thank you my man!:ok:

Artie Fufkin
11th Nov 2010, 14:06
Dutch spotters website Scramble reporting that a Transavia B.737-800 is to come to Jet2 after it's lease ends in December?

I'd heard the NG rumour re-emerge last week too. Newcastle & Edinburgh were mentioned as each receiving one. ..."its a done deal"... , ..."being painted in the hangar"... you know, the usual:bored:

Anyone else heard similar?

LBIA
18th Nov 2010, 16:44
Well jet2 have today comfirmed on its website news section that they are adding 4 additional aircaft to the fleet this winter for next summer 2011 season.

I take it that this will that be a mix of Boeing 737's and Boeing 757-200's that will be required?

purplehelmet
18th Nov 2010, 17:13
Or could this mean the arrival of the long rumoured 767s???

airhumberside
18th Nov 2010, 17:53
The new GLA base needs 2 aircraft - 1xB757, 1xB737
EMA gains a second aircraft (a B757 I think)
NCL should account for the other 'new' aircraft

scotsunflyer
18th Nov 2010, 17:56
EDI to get another

airhumberside
18th Nov 2010, 18:06
EDI should be 4 aircraft, assuming the weekend timings get altered to fit DBV in - would be surprised to see a 5th aircraft being at EDI for just one flight, but you never know

In summer 2010 EDI was also 4 aircraft at the weekends. Summer 2011 growth at EDI should come through more weekday flights and better utilisation

victoria73
19th Nov 2010, 01:07
All the bases on the mainland getting additional aircraft and new routes next summer no mention of Belfast sidelined again.

airhumberside
19th Nov 2010, 09:20
EDI should be 4 aircraft, assuming the weekend timings get altered to fit DBV in - would be surprised to see a 5th aircraft being at EDI for just one flight, but you never know
Looks like I will have to correct myself, It appears EDI will indeed get a 5th aircraft for Summer 2011

From the BBC
Philip Meeson, chief executive of Jet2.com and its parent company, Dart Group, commented: "We are delighted that we have had such a successful summer at Edinburgh, and are excited about our plans for 2011 - more frequent flights, a new aircraft and more destination choices."

But if EDI is to get an extra aircraft, plus GLA(x2), NCL and EMA, then somewhere will loose an aircraft, if overall fleet growth is only 4 aircraft. And looking at the schedules, no base has a significant enough reduction in scheduled services at least to indicate a based aircraft reduction :confused:

LBIA
19th Nov 2010, 10:59
Hi

Looking at the Jet2 scheduled for next summer at LBA, The Base only needs 10 aircraft which will be 3 X 757-200's & 7 X 737-300's due to cut backs on some of the services plus the evening Belfast Int'l service will be operated by a Irish based aircarft as well instead.

So that releases the missing 1 x Boeing 737-300 thats required for the EDI..

purplehelmet
25th Nov 2010, 17:45
Jethros fleet listings showing 2xb757s due prior summer 2011.

righthandrule
25th Nov 2010, 18:53
The extra aircraft basing for next summer should be as follows;

Glasgow -
1 x 757-200 (New to the fleet)
1 x 737-300 (Moved from LBA, no reduction in flights from LBA, just more on W routes from Belfast & Edinburgh

East Midlands -
1 x 757-200 (New to the fleet) -

Newcastle -
1 x 737-300 (New to the fleet)

Manchester -
1 x 737-300 (New to the fleet)

Edinburgh will not gain an extra aircraft, the base acquired G-CELP part the way through last summer due to the STN-JER post contract coming to an end. LP was used in peak summer but will be further utilised next summer, so it's not an actual new based aircraft, just existing ones used more.

Generally fleet utilisation is higher next summer, especially at LBA as there was typically two aircraft last summer that only did 2 sectors each, and were used as standby aircraft. They were not used that much though so for this coming summer, one will be stationed at GLA and utilisation increased.

LBA-BFS (evening) and LBA-PRG next summer will be W patterns from BFS and EDI respectively. As a side note, Glasgow and Edinburgh are to be operated as dual bases, so there may be some shuffling around during the summer months to accommodate the flying program.

TSR2
25th Nov 2010, 21:16
Thanks for that information. Good to see some healthy expansion throughout the network next year, except for Blackpool that is. I hope aircraft reliability does not become an issue through higher utilisation. Good luck.

BFS101
25th Nov 2010, 22:25
except for Blackpool that is
And Belfast remaining pretty static!! Maybe even a slight drop in capacity if the aircraft are operating W routes for other bases.

paully
29th Nov 2010, 10:25
Dont know if its just my (ageing) computer, but been trying to get on their web site for the last 2 days and it appears to have crashed..Anyone else having the same problem..thanks

TSR2
29th Nov 2010, 10:41
Just tried the Jet2 website, no problem.

BigT2207
29th Nov 2010, 14:17
Just try refreshing your browser Paully

paully
29th Nov 2010, 14:43
ta thanks, seems to be ok now..Maybe went down due to hits re the bad weather and diverts at Leeds...Seems to be more on the way as well :{

TCX69
29th Nov 2010, 17:38
According to Jethro's site, LS will be getting 2 ex-TOM 757's for next summer, G-BYAH/I... Presumably to be registered G-LSAL/M... Maybe the 733's will come from TOM also?...

purplehelmet
29th Nov 2010, 20:15
According to Jethro's site, LS will be getting 2 ex-TOM 757's for next summer, G-BYAH/I... Presumably to be registered G-LSAL/M... Maybe the 733's will come from TOM also?...

HMM! I thought G-byai was one of the tom 757s on its way to allegiant after having winglets fitted last month..?

DjerbaDevil
29th Nov 2010, 23:49
HMM! I thought G-byai was one of the tom 757s on its way to allegiant after having winglets fitted last month..?

Yes but look what happened to G-BYAE that went to Allegiant Air from TOM via Wells Fargo bank Northwest....last 10 May 2010. It ended up in storage, which is a curious place to have a B757 on which you are presumeably paying the leasing. This was surprising and may indicate that Allegiant Air have bitten off more than they can chew and may have withdrawn from the deal with TOM. If memory serves me right, these B752s were to start a service to the Hawaian Islands by Allegiant and there doesn't seem to be any move in that direction at the moment.

Maybe the 733's will come from TOM

The betting is on B738NGs, which would not come from TOM.

david1994
30th Nov 2010, 07:57
Jet2 have bought 5 B737-800's with winglets from Transviva. And one will be in BFS for a route to Larnaca!:ok:

righthandrule
30th Nov 2010, 09:19
According to the big cheese, a big announcement is coming this week...

Two rumours have been circulating around LBA...

1) A merger is imminent with 'Jet2' being kept as the 'Airline' for the newly formed business.

2) A large aircraft order has been placed, and will see massive expansion into several new markets.

I am yet to be convinced, I guess we will just wait and see!

stuart-travel
30th Nov 2010, 10:25
the rep for jet2 holidays quoted b767 for long haul holidays in 2012 but not sure on the number and which airports will recive the aircraft.

regards
stuart

Frankfurt_Cowboy
30th Nov 2010, 10:33
Email today from them saying to expect an announcement "bigger than Yorkshire", it goes on to mention their past competitions so maybe one of them, but given all the other talk it would seem that something's in the offing.

Random Flyer
30th Nov 2010, 11:35
I've seen chat on another forum which suggests Jet2 could be receiving upto 5 Boeing 737-800s from Transavia. Perhaps this could be the forthcoming announcement?

neil_2008
30th Nov 2010, 11:39
European or southern UK base?

ryansf
30th Nov 2010, 12:29
European or southern UK base?
The "Bigger than Yorkshire" quote implies to me that they are talking about LBA, or indeed opening another Yorkshire base.

gate 22
30th Nov 2010, 12:40
"Bigger than Yorkshire" isn't Yorkshire the largest county? so it could just mean a very big announcement

purplehelmet
30th Nov 2010, 12:52
interesting this:confused:18nov 2010,jet2 website states 4 new aircraft to be added to the fleet,2of which strongly rumored to be ex thomson 757s,and 2 ex transavia 737ng,now its up to 5 ex transavia 737ng.
bigger than yorkshire could of course mean a new base bigger than lba,i.e.jet2 could be expanding down south.