PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

The96er
25th Sep 2009, 18:52
Ernest Lanc's - I can assure you that no passengers were clapping, this is what Mr Meeson has told the press, in other words, he's a complete liar. All the passengers that were there were shocked by the voracity of his outburst and in no way were applauding.

EuroWings
25th Sep 2009, 19:45
Has anyone noticed how Jet2 (Mr. Meeson) has turned this whole incident into a new 'idea' of NO QUEUES

They have released a press release on their website putting a very favourable spin on the whole incident...

'Philip took immediate action after seeing the length of the queue and requested that workers get it sorted immediately in his own passionate style!' :ugh:

Sounds like something FR would do, but they probably wouldn't even go as far as to promote it on the front page of the website! :rolleyes:

Ernest Lanc's
25th Sep 2009, 20:29
The96er: According to the Manchester Evening News the passengers did applaud Philip Meeson. I am not saying you are wrong - I am saying though it is no big deal.

Philip Meeson is a hands on manager who takes the trouble to make sure JET2 delivers a quality service to it's customers. He takes the trouble to regularly do spot checks at airports and even on flights.

In the long run this is IMO will be better for us the paying passengers.

Compare Mr Meeson with MOL when it comes to a shout down, and MOL will win every time - Having attacked airlines, airports, and the aviation authorities, so Philip Meeson has done nothing outrageous out of the ordinary.

He probably should have used some tact and found out why there was an extraordinary long queue, and then took the appropriate action.

I myself have contracted my labour out, and even though not directly employed by firms - Have took stick, and took it in my stride. Calling the police was melodramatic IMO.

seahawks
25th Sep 2009, 22:23
"mellow dramatic"

Nice.

So much funnier than Jonathan Toss. :D

Ernest Lanc's
25th Sep 2009, 22:35
Point taken "melodramatic":ooh:

The96er
26th Sep 2009, 15:02
Mr Meeson was back at MAN today, no real incidents to talk of, although I believe he was warned that if he even approaches the Aviance check-in staff it would of resulted in an instant removal of all staff from the Jet2 product. He still found time to call one of his Captains a "C**T" though - what a nice man he is !! :rolleyes:

ALLMCC
26th Sep 2009, 16:34
After Mr M's recent outbursts maybe people won't be so quick to call MOL rude and arrogant in future!

al446
26th Sep 2009, 16:56
ALLMCC - PM's outburst in no way changes my viewpoint of MOL, I still consider him rude and arrogant, it is just a pity that PM feels he should emulate him.

To all who think he acted properly or that reactions have been 'melodramatic', I think the man was an oaf to publicly berate anyone in the manner he is reported as having done. As described on another thread his relationship is not with the check in staff but with Aviance, he had no idea of the contract between the employer (Aviance) and employee, perhaps those staff were simply being diligent by being near the desks prior to being told to open them or their contracted hours, for which they are being paid, were not due to start until after PM arrived. If pax wish to queue before the alloted time that is not the staff problem.

PM needs to go on anger management course I think or stop his spot checks until he has pondered his relationship with contracted staff. I am sure that if a customer had launched such a tirade against one of his CC in flight J2 would bar that customer from flying with them again. Perhaps MAN should bar PM until he publicly apologises to the staff he so thoughtlessly berated in the foulest manner.

simonchowder
26th Sep 2009, 16:59
What a tosser that guy is, im sure his disgracefull treatment of the aviance staff has spurred them on no end to ensure jet2 customers recieve first class service in the future

Ernest Lanc's
26th Sep 2009, 17:27
al446

As described on another thread his relationship is not with the check in staff but with Aviance

Correct me if I am wrong, but this came up in this thread.

Does not matter one jot that the people involved were Aviance staff, they were contracted to work for JET2 and it was JET2 who paid their wages at that time.

PM was probably a little out of order with his outburst, but the out of proportion reaction to a minor matter is out of order IMO also. He was in effect although maybe on this occasion wrongly showing the paying customer that the top management of JET2 cares about their comfort from the time they reach the check in desk.

perhaps those staff were simply being diligent by being near the desks prior to being told to open them or their contracted hours, for which they are being paid
Have you any proof that was the case?, if not what you have posted is no more than a red herring.

a1446.

I actually agree the PM was silly in having a pop at staff contracted or otherwise in public. However I do think the reaction has been ovedone as this happens in every industry every day. I would not have lasted 5 minutes in my work had I been thin skinned about over zealous supervisors having a pop even though I was self employed but had contracted my labour.

BTW: IMO there even after this episode can Mr Meeson be compared with MOL, who has berated every level of the aviation industry.

Long may Mr Meeson carry on with his spot checks to ensure the best quality control for his customers.

Gulpers
26th Sep 2009, 17:38
His reasons may or may not have been sound (and I hear they had foundation), but PM's way of dealing with this was unacceptable. No room in polite society for shouting and swearing.

That's about it, unless anyone wants to add their ha'pennyworth to this ill-informed, half-guessed, half-assed discussion.

Simonchowder
We're all tossers to one degree or another and in someone's eyes.

Smudge
What the hell do you know about "trendy winglets"? F**k all obviously. Learn about spanwise flow and come back to us later, if you can be ar*ed.

:):):):):):):):)

smudgethecat
26th Sep 2009, 18:07
Actually Gulpers as the holder of CAA engineers licence i do have a little bit of knowledge on the subject and im well aware of the fuel saving benifits that winglets can offer, however in Jet 2,s case considering the dreadfull state of the B757 cabins i think the money spent on the winglet mods could have been spent a little more wisely, a jet 2 757 cabin isnt a very nice place to be as a pax:):)

bobleeds
26th Sep 2009, 18:43
I have had no problem at all with the 757 Cabins. The ones sporting the new seating are really quite good. Granted the White LSAD is a bit careworn, but no worse than some BA aircraft I've flown in.

26th Sep 2009, 18:52
Does anybody have any incin to when Jet2 are going to reveal their 10th base?

al446
26th Sep 2009, 19:02
Correct me if I am wrong, but this came up in this thread.

There is more than one thread running on this subject, I just happened to have read the other one. Sorry to join you in your pedantry.

Does not matter one jot that the people involved were Aviance staff, they were contracted to work for JET2 and it was JET2 who paid their wages at that time.

No, their wages are being paid directly by Aviance not J2. It is surely then the responsibility of the staff's line manager to investigate and issue rebuke if warranted, not for some smart a**e MD to come along castigating them in an exceptionally surly and offensive manner. Does his position in J2 give him licence to treat any sub-contracted staff like a dog? If he had been pax awaiting check in would you have let him board or would you have called security?
He was not being 'a little out of order' he was being downright offensive, sufficient to warrant a police caution so not a 'minor matter'. I do not know what you worked as but I would contend that there is a difference between being 'thin skinned' and being treated like a doormat, or worse. He did not, IMO, demonstrate that J2 cares for its customers but that they are being run by an insensitive oaf and, as demonstrated by MOL, that attitude may spill over to pax.
You arre correct, I was not there, nor were you but it would appear he just flew off the handle without checking the situation first. I don't consider that a red herring.
Perhaps PM should hire someone to ensure quality control rather than carry on in this oafish manner.
You may think that J2 can do no wrong, I certainly rate them way above RYR, but no matter what I think of the company I know a thug in a suit when they are described which is what we have here. I too have been sub-contract staff and met his sort, my reaction has been to tell them to stuff their job and leave immediately. It is called self respect which everyone should be entitled to.

757flyer
26th Sep 2009, 19:08
it appears that PM is mentally unstable, this is not the first time he has "lost it". When he does the language is foul and his rage appears uncontrolled. The press release / interview I am sure was damage limitation by the Jet2 managers. He recently lost his temper at a cockpit crew member who has filed an ASR/MOR with the CAA over PM's behaviour! Any member of the public behaving in this manner would have Jet2 removing them from flights, being banned from all flights in the future etc. My fear is that unless PM seeks help with his anger management it will drive Jet2 down, the publicity dept damage limitation will only work for so long.

howard h
26th Sep 2009, 19:22
I've used the "hell-hole" that is the basement of T1 to check-in LS flights. Actually, it isn't a "hell-hole" it's quite cozy and a darned sight easier to get dropped off outside than much of the rest of the airport.
I do have one gripe, my last flight was to IBZ departing 0655 and Jet2 ask passengers to "check in a minimum of two hours before the flight".
Fine, I did that, two-and-a-half hours before.
Ahem, there was no-one at the desks to check people in until, you've guessed it, two hours before the flight, so a queue started.
And meaning less time for the early birds wishing to use the VIP lounges to the maximum.
If the dictat states "get there at least two hours before kick-off", then there should be staff on the desks at least three hours before the first flight.

At the other end, "fast" bag drop-off was a joke. IBZ airport didn't open the desks until two hours before the flight, and queues had formed. Then the desks (all 2 of them) open, one gets labelled "fast bag drop" and the other ordinary x-in. Guess what, the orderly queues for each desk turned into an all-out scrum to get to the "right" desk.

Hmmm. Next time, I'll only take the hold baggage. Don't be surprised if you see someone in T1 wearing two coats, three pairs of pants, 2 pullovers, 4 vests and a couple of beach towels round his waist. It'll be my new Vivienne Westwood look.

TSR2
26th Sep 2009, 19:46
You arre correct, I was not there, nor were you

But I was and here are the facts.

I arrived in the Jet2 check-in hall at 05.40 for a 07.40 flight to Murcia and a Jet2 employee directed us to a rather long queue for the 'Fast Bag Drop' facility with an apology stating that 'a few check-in staff have not started work yet'. This seemed a rather strange statement so I immediately looked at how many check-in desks were open. There were two desks open for Fast Bag Drop and three desks open for standard check-in.

At 06.00 the queue for Fast Bag Drop ran almost the length of the check-in hall. As we approached the front of the queue, a supervisor changed the system to direct the Fast Bag Drop queue to any check-in desk which started to speed up the check-in process.

We completed check-in by 06.15 at which time no additional desks were open. On leaving the check-in desk I remember saying to one of my travelling companions that there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm by the check-in staff and that I felt a bit sorry for the Jet2 staff who seemed embarassed and frustrated at the situation. It certainly was not a good reflection on Jet2.

I was not aware of any ranting by anyone until I read about it in the newspapers several days later. Does anyone know what time this rant by PM took place?

The96er
26th Sep 2009, 20:00
But I was and here are the facts.

followed by :-

I was not aware of any ranting by anyone until I read about it in the newspapers several days later. Does anyone know what time this rant by PM took place?

So clearly you weren't there at the time of the incident and therefore do not have the facts !! :rolleyes:

righthandrule
26th Sep 2009, 20:02
Jet2 state "Our airport check-in desks and our ‘Bag Drop’ facility open at least two hours before the scheduled departure time."

So that says to me they will be open at two hours before deaprture, if they are open earlier then hey ho your lucky.

At LBA Jet2 use LDCS for check in and sometimes the PNL will not drop into the system until 2 hours before departure, and then it still takes a few minutes before the flights is opened as wheelchairs/infants are allocated their seats manually by the check in supervisor. I assume the same situation happens at MAN. It is often out of the check in agents control as to when they can actually open check in, for example at LBA the baggage handlers in Hall B don't start until 5am, and most of the check in staff don't start until 5am (first flight leaving at 7am) so if we can check the passengers in who get there early we will, but if we have no baggage or PNL on the system we will sit there until 5am as we are not physically able to check passengers in. If we have more than 5 flights checking-in at any one time any early passengers for later flights, we tell to go get a coffee and come back 2 hours before.

I really don't understand peoples logic in getting to the airport before 2 hours, with so many people pre-allocating their seats its not like you have first dip in getting 'good' seats, as the people who have been clever have booked their seats in advance and turn up an hour before departure missing the usual queue of over keen passengers, and the airport experience is much better for them. The reason why the queue at MAN was big is because people got there way before they needed to, then grumble that they have been waiting.

At the end of the day the check-in at MAN opened around 2 hours before departure, Mr Meeson (as I, and many others have experienced in real life) can be a colourful character and he doesn't always understand the situation and raises his voice before getting all the facts. He is though extremely passionate about making sure his passengers get a high level of service, after all thats is what arguably has made his business such a successs. Maybe enough has been said about this (in the big scheme of things) non event, time to move on?

If people don't want to queue then maybe walk instead of flying?! The airport environment is based around queues, im sure those passengers had a wait twice as long to get through security. Get over it! If you don't like the way it is done, fly with Ryanair, then come onto pprune and complain that it was a mad scramble and you couldn't all sit together. Bit of a vicious circle isn't it.

TSR2
26th Sep 2009, 21:44
The newspaper report I read stated the incident occured 'early morning' on the 19th Sept.

I was there during the time I stated.

My comments related to the situation in the check-in hall at that time which, was what the initial comment referred to if you read the post by AL446 again.

My intention was to provide facts to enable people to form an opinion as to whether PM was justified in being upset. The way he dealt with it is another matter.

Ernest Lanc's
26th Sep 2009, 22:20
There is more than one thread running on this subject, I just happened to have read the other one.

I stand corrected.

No, their wages are being paid directly by Aviance not J2. It is surely then the responsibility of the staff's line manager to investigate and issue rebuke if warranted, not for some smart a**e MD to come along castigating them in an exceptionally surly and offensive manner.

I agree the wages are paid to the staff by Aviance. However I meant that the cash came from JET2 to pay the workers.

If PM noticed that staff shortcomings were making for long queues for his pax, then he had a right IMO to point this out which he obviously did.

You say he was "exceptionally surly and offencive", well if that's true he did overstep the line of decent behaviour. TSR2 was there and says:-

TSR2 stated the times he was there in his post.

So without hard evidence it's seems a mater of opinion as to how offencive PM was with the Aviance staff.

I believe that JET2 have high standards, and also believe Mr Meeson wishes JET2 to keep up these standards.

If you think he was offencive, that is your prerogative and I respect your opinion - But I would like more proof on what actually happened before condemning PM, all we have are press reports.

On another matter one poster advised us to use Monarch with their shiny newish a/c, rather than JET2. I last used Monarch in 2006 on a return flight from Blackpool to Malaga.

Some (Not All) of Monarch cabin staff were not IMO pleasant at all. The seats were not comfortable at all, and it seemed like we were little better than sardines.
Top that with the worst ever landing I have experienced - Anyone on that flight WED at the end of July 06 Malaga/BLK will remember a memorable landing.

All my trips with JET2 have been hassle free, friendly cabin staff, and first rate pilots.

And to those having a pop at JET2 757s - Cost of flight comes into the equation, and the main consideration is getting there and back safely - If the a/c are clean and safe, that coupled with price of seats is what matters to me.

EDIT: Also Monarch IMO proved unreliable. When they pulled out of BLK - They did that before the summer schedule finished in 2006, and pax had to go to MAN instead.

Now that is what I call unreasonable.

al446
27th Sep 2009, 01:06
Will you please wise up, this is about how a human being should be treated at work, whether by pax, colleagues, line manager or the tosser that has taken out the contract to employ people as cheaply as possible without having direct responsibility for them. You may think that J2 is the finest thing that ever happened, they are certainly better than RYR, but this does not licence the man to lose it with someone. Period. It perhaps demonstrates psychopathy.
I care not what other posters have put on here, if the police had grounds to give him a formal warning, of sufficient robustness to be reported in the press (their lawyers check) then that negates any post, no matter how much of an eye witness the poster may be. Perhaps TSR2 was not quite awake - the poor member of check in staff certainly was after he had started and I dont think plod was in his nightshirt, otherwise PM's lawyer would have challenged.
You may think it is fine to be walked over, you said as much re your contracting days, I don't.
The matter of how offensive (s not c) he was appears to have been put in the hands of local plod who decided against him.
Nothing you write can mitigate his actions in my mind, according to reports he acted like an oaf.

jet2.con
27th Sep 2009, 07:22
Is a police caution enough to prove he was being offensive? Or have the feds made that up to?

757flyer
27th Sep 2009, 08:24
As I posted earlier this is NOT an isolated incident! If fact it is becoming more and more regular, the man needs help before he causes more damage to Jet2, or he himself gets hurt if someone reacts violently to his behaviour.

DSA-DUB
27th Sep 2009, 09:28
This is boring now can we move on.

Cloud1
27th Sep 2009, 10:05
Having been in a situation where I, as an employee to the airline, is confronted with a check-in hall full of passengers due to there being an insufficient number of desks open I can safely say its highly embarrasing and frustrating.

I can also however safely say that never would a member of Management or the CEO throw his toys out of the pram in front of fare paying passengers, in the way Mr Meeson has been reported as doing so.

I completely agree with those posters who put forward the argument that these staff despite maybe being in the wrong are afterall human beings. In this case Mr Meeson is acting in a manner no better than a passenger who would shout and scream, and then as a result be refused travel due to offensive behaviour towards staff.

The issue I have, and hence why I have remained silent until now, is when you read the standard of responses by members of this forum you can see why so many support Mr Meeson's actions. There are a high percentage of posters who post crass, rude and unneccesary comments in their replies in a tone which not only is arrogant and aggressive, but are towards people that these posters do not neccesarily know.

My question is this. How are these posters on this forum any different to Mr Meeson, and how is Mr Meeson any different to customers to the airline who are refused travel when they kick up a fuss.

DSA-DUB - You are spot on. This subject has reached the end - there is no answer which can be agreed on so please move on.

BookEm
27th Sep 2009, 11:19
Did PM actually receive a police caution or just a verbal warning (more likely) at the scene. The two are very different things and a caution can have an effect on eligibility for airside passes etc and will be recorded on the police national computer. For him to have received a caution it would have required arrest at the scene or an agreed time to return to the police station and be arrested by appointment followed by tape recorded interview.
I would suggest that if it was just a verbal warning then his behaviour, whilst possibly warranting police intervention, was not overly offensive and didn't cause undue harrassment, alarm or distress to members of the public. I wasn't there and I am in no way condoning his alleged behaviour and there are definately better ways of dealing with issues such as these.

flybar
27th Sep 2009, 16:23
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: "We attended and warned the man about his future conduct and behaviour."

He was not arrested and therefore he did not get a recordable caution. He merely got a warning. Speaking from experience police issue hundreds of warnings in a day. They are not recorded. It satifies all those involved because they think something has happened in relation to their complaint.
PM himself states in one of his Press Statements that the officer acted in a very 'Professional Manner'. Pleased to hear it.

Now can we forget this storm in a tea cup and move onto more important matters!!

Facelookbovvered
27th Sep 2009, 16:40
Err no

PM was well out of order it does not matter that his concern was the length of the que to check in, as CEO he should be aware that policy that he has signed off in respect checkin fee's seat allocation and so on make life more difficult for hard working checkin staff and he should have taken the matter up with the duty manager.

He might like to compare himself MOL but MOL would never put himself at risk of involement with the police

I have lost count of the number of times he has gone off on one with crews due to depart, he is not a pilot and is a risk to the safety of the airline

flybar
27th Sep 2009, 16:48
he is not a pilot

I think you will find that he is a very experienced Pilot

Ian Brooks
27th Sep 2009, 17:19
He was british aerobatic champion at least 4 times

Ian B

Have you heard this!
27th Sep 2009, 18:18
His latest outburst just highlights what a bully he is. This isn't the first time, and he frequently has outburst like this. He manages the company by fear and a lot of the staff (mainly his managers) are frightened of him. He's a disgrace and ought to be ashamed of his behaviour. There is no skill in this type of management technique. He needs to **** off and draw his OAP.

smudgethecat
27th Sep 2009, 19:00
The bloke sounds like a complete arse, what did he hope to achieve by behaving in such a crass manner?

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 19:37
I have lost count of the number of times he has gone off on one with crews due to depart, he is not a pilot and is a risk to the safety of the airline

That is one heck of an overstatement, that even Mr Meeson or even MOL would not make.

The bloke sounds like a complete arse

what did he hope to achieve by behaving in such a crass manner?

And you say that PM is crass!And you are calling Mr Meesons language "crass".

smudgethecat
27th Sep 2009, 19:52
IMO theres a subtle difference between calling someone a arse on a internet forum than there is a company CEO effing and blinding at his staff in public with women and children present and then getting a police caution:ok:

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 20:24
IMO theres a subtle difference

Exactly - We are in complete agreement on this one:).

BookEm
27th Sep 2009, 20:27
I thought we've already ascertained he didn't receive a police caution, arse or otherwise!

al446
27th Sep 2009, 20:37
Will you please stop defending the indefensible especially by twisting words. Facelookbovvered made an observation that you are in position to judge whether it is an overstatement or not, he was there and you were not. Nor can you ascribe likelihood of such coming from MOL or PM.

Smudge gave his opinion of the man, I happen to agree, but it in no way equates to the behaviour of PM as reported. He described his behaviour as crass, not his language which I also agree with.

From reading your posts re J2 it would appear that you need to develop some objectivity in viewing them, you seem to think they can do no wrong.

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 20:38
I for one never said he did. I was agreeing with smudgethecat's use of the word subtle.

waco
27th Sep 2009, 20:50
Suggestion.........
Next time J2 have any kind of substantial delay...........we all pop down to his office and start banging on about delays, information, customer service etc to said CEO, his airline, his responsibility.......

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 21:02
al446

I am not twisting words - Neither am I guessing as to whether PM got a police caution or not. I would like some evidence.

Forget the altercation between PM and airport staff for a moment. you defend Facelookbovvered stating that Mr Meeson is a risk to the airline.

In the context of the above quote - It seems that Facelookbovvered is saying that Mr Meeson having a pop at pilots is making the airline unsafe for pax.

I don't agree with that, so how can I be twisting words.

Look since this came out on the thread about PM - We have had tirades about the state of Jet2 757 cabins, advice to fly Monarch on a JET2 thread, and even foul mouthed comments that added nothing to the debate.
Smudge gave his opinion of the man, I happen to agree, but it in no way equates to the behaviour of PM as reported.

"as reported" - That's what I have a problem with, no hard evidence he used foul language like some on this thread - **** does not hide the meaning of the word - Maybe twisting it a little.

I know JET2 are not perfect as you are implying I believe - In fact I am in dispute with them at the moment over how their booking engine works since the silly way they give a choice of airport or online check in.

Even (if) PM made obscene comments (unproven as yet), I don't think Jet2 can be held responsible for that as an airline, and a reason to sound of about their a/c and pointed in the direction of Monarch, and posts with language that Mr Meeson is being accused of using.

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 22:06
Asked if he had been swearing during the incident, he said: “I think the odd swear word may have dropped out of my mouth. But I wasn’t swearing at anyone, just about life in general.”

It seems that Mr Meeson did swear if the Manchester Evening News is to be believed.

He told the M.E.N.: “There was a great long queue, which is not what we want, and staff were sitting there doing nothing.
Again if the Manchester Evening News has got it right - PM was right to give them a roll-eking, but swearing at staff is wrong.

But again contrary to what posters on this thread have said. The Manchester Evening News says he launched a tirade at his OWN staff.

A BUDGET airline boss launched a tirade at his own staff when he saw customers in a long queue at Manchester Airport.

It really is a very big storm in a very small tea-cup.

I also believe we have to allow for journalistic licence when reading the MEN, like with all the press.

Mr A Tis
27th Sep 2009, 22:18
:zzz::bored::zzz::bored:
This PM story is now time expired & tedious, give it a rest, same thing going over the same ground.
Who cares? Its his train set & he won't care what you think or say, likewise MOL with his train set.
Please move on..............................:\

Ernest Lanc's
27th Sep 2009, 22:26
Mr A Tis

The PM part of this thread would have been over and done with eons ago had there not been so many deviations away from the facts,and away from PM for that matter.

I agree in full that some good comments about JET2 would be far more welcome that a minor tiff at MAN T1.
It's hard to believe that this is the JET2 thread.

Ballymoss
27th Sep 2009, 23:28
So, we're all happy now that PM is a complete T**T, and has shown himself to be. I can concur with that:ooh:

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

AEUENG
28th Sep 2009, 09:59
Yawn Yawn, new topic! So when is the 767 coming?? :E

simonchowder
28th Sep 2009, 10:28
Oh dear, not more geriatric tat heading jet 2,s way lets hope it doesnt come from the same source that flogged those ghastly old 757,s to them. :eek::eek:

danielmellor
28th Sep 2009, 15:30
Whats This I Here about Them Either Basing a 757 or 733 at Humberside? any Truth in this rumour?

jet2pax
28th Sep 2009, 17:14
It does not look like it's happening:ok:

aeulad
28th Sep 2009, 17:20
Oh dear, what have you heard? Is it going to DSA?

Regards

Mike

pug
28th Sep 2009, 17:27
Why is that then? Are you saying this because it wasnt announced on friday or something?

28th Sep 2009, 19:52
Glasgow could really do with Jet2 moving in.

jet2pax
29th Sep 2009, 06:29
Well im just gessing because somebody said there will be an announcement in the next 2 weeks and 2 weeks has gone by. Simple.

theloudone
29th Sep 2009, 06:43
Could really do with some new(er) a/c and some more engineers, and some more pay etc etc !

WOWBOY
29th Sep 2009, 14:20
Glasgow could really do with Jet2 moving in

I have found it strange that Jet 2 havent got even a few routes out of Glasgow. Wouldnt expect a base becuase of Edinburgh but they could a few routes

Evileyes
29th Sep 2009, 16:55
Several recent posts have been moved here: http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/390563-jet2-question.html

pug
29th Sep 2009, 17:04
Well im just gessing because somebody said there will be an announcement in the next 2 weeks and 2 weeks has gone by. Simple.

These things take time, judging by the last couple of pages on here, attention may have been turned to the incident at MAN last week etc...

Id say that we could be waiting untill the begining of November to hear any announcement. Remember the two weeks time frame was just a rumour, as is the location of the next base at the moment.

Anne.Nonymous
30th Sep 2009, 14:49
We have had tirades about the state of Jet2 757 cabins,

I'm sure there will be no complaints of this nature on the 757 Hajj trips in November!

Anne

Whitehatter
30th Sep 2009, 15:40
I had my first trip on an LS 757 the other week, and to be honest it wasn't bad!

Aircraft was G-LSAC out and back, the new seats are a bit hard for a long sector but otherwise everything was working and the aircraft wasn't in bad shape at all. A very enjoyable trip and the LS cabin crews are some of the hardest grafters I've seen, so if any are reading this well done to you. The only issues I had with the aircraft were smelly toilets which really do need a bit of a steam blasting.

I can see the point of the new lightweight frame seating though, it must save a lot of weight and therefore fuel. Over three hours and backache sets in, but for an average lowcost type sector they are perfectly adequate and look very easy to maintain. It will be interesting to see how a few years in service daily affects them but the red leather facing seems to be robust enough and looks like it can be changed on the line without major surgery.

maat
30th Sep 2009, 18:59
They save 250kg.

lbalad
30th Sep 2009, 21:55
I see that Jet2 are operating a flight tomorrow morning from Liverpool to Minsk.This seems an unusual destination,anyone know whats the story behind this flight?.

TSR2
30th Sep 2009, 22:06
Everton have a European match there tomorrow. Team travelled today so probably supporters tomorrow.

Vuelo
1st Oct 2009, 23:40
Is it true LS are to launch MAN-LIS next summer? Would be a good route to start I would think.

conti onepass
4th Oct 2009, 12:18
just back from palma, LS831/2 both full flights, delayed 2 hours on way back, very friendly crew!!

EuroChallenger
4th Oct 2009, 13:45
Hi - a few things here.

1) Queues - I have used Manchester recently with Jet2 and there were not many people waiting, but confusion as to which desk to go to - priority, non priority etc. At Palma, the Jet2 desks can only be described as bedlam, with long queues to check in, yet no one waiting at the "pre checed in on line" queue. Surely, opening this desk to get a few through would have been a good idea?

2) Back at Manchester, our home printed boarding card would not scan "upstairs" and the lad asked us to return to the check in desk and ask for a "proper" ticket. We went downstairs and asked the Jet2 floor walker where to go. She directed us to the ticket sales desk and after waiting there, were told to go to the priority desk! In this case, had the floor walker given us correct info, we would not have had to queue twice.

As for our flights, they were ok, but for a couple of hours in the air, I am not really bothered about much anyway.

Re Mr Meeson, if he spoke to me in a manner I did not like, I would return the same. I am not however a staff member and so have nothing to lose.

Ernest Lanc's
4th Oct 2009, 16:11
At Palma, the Jet2 desks can only be described as bedlam, with long queues to check in, yet no one waiting at the "pre checed in on line" queue. Surely, opening this desk to get a few through would have been a good idea?

You do mean Palma in Majorca?

EC - JET2 could not be simpler than in Palma, the airport is long with with probably the best public address system in the world.

Regarding JET2 at Palma - Their office is situated opposite the check in desks. The check in desks are mostly manned. If you have checked in on line you can go through at ANY time, I know I have done it 5 times in 4 years.

Any problems the office is manned by polite staff, so I don't see how you could have had any hassle.

There is no bedlam with JET2 at Palma, far better than say Malaga, and that airports only problem is the long walk between the various gates.

Of course if you have left it until the last minute??

EuroChallenger
4th Oct 2009, 19:21
Apologies if my post was not clear. I do mean Palma and not Parma, my geography is good!

There were very long queues at Palma check in. We had checked in online and so just went to the desk where there was not a queue. Two desks were open for customers who had checked in online, but the queue for those not checked in on line was very long. Some passengers in THAT queue moaned at me for pushing in! The JET2 staff did however answer the moaning customers.

My point was simply - why could a few of the non online checked in customers not be whisked through the desks for the online checked in people, just to get the queue moving.

I will also add that to after dropping our bags at the Jet2 desk, the time taken to clear security was 35 minutes.

LPFR
4th Oct 2009, 19:37
Just read this on airliners:

Order as of August:
737-900 (ER unless otherwise noted):
Lion Air 178
Continental 44 (12 non-ER)
Korean 20 (16 non-ER)
Alaska 12 (non-ER)
BBJ 9
GECAS 6
KLM 5 (non-ER)
Shenzhen 5 (non-ER)
SpiceJet 5
Azerbaijan 4
Arik 3
Sky 3
Jet 2 (non-ER)
Turkmenistan 2

Any truth on this order? Would guess not..they've said before they're sticking with the 733 and 752 for a few more years. But it would be really nice to see a 737-900 on jet2 colours!

simonchowder
4th Oct 2009, 19:39
Sounds like just part of the normal jet 2 experiance to moi eurochallenger :eek:

rpmac
4th Oct 2009, 19:43
I use Palma airport a lot, mainly EasyJet, Air Berlin and Ryanair. Last time I used Ryanair it was bedlam at the check in desks as several flights were being processed. The Fr flights kept changing from one desk to another so that customers were confused as to which queue to be in, some early in the queue then found themselves at the back of another long queue and there were many unhappy people that day. As for Jet2 I have not used them from Palma however a friend flying to Manchester was directed to another queue and then when finally arriving at the check in desk was told her flight was now closed. She lost the flight and had to pay 150 GPS to fly with Thomsons.

Cyrano
4th Oct 2009, 19:45
Just read this on airliners:

Any truth on this order? Would guess not..they've said before they're sticking with the 733 and 752 for a few more years. But it would be really nice to see a 737-900 on jet2 colours!

Surely this refers to 2 aircraft for Jet Airways in India, rather than an unspecified number for Jet2?

Literacy - underrated... :ugh:

LPFR
4th Oct 2009, 19:56
:rolleyes: Silly me..

Don't bother..too tired to think. :ugh:

Ernest Lanc's
4th Oct 2009, 21:20
My point was simply - why could a few of the non online checked in customers not be whisked through the desks for the online checked in people, just to get the queue moving.

Well you may be better placed to judge here. I always get to the airport early because the flight is late departing Palma to BLK, and we get bored and go to the airport. However we just go and drop the bags and on to security. If you check in online it pays to go to the airport early and avoid the queues.

I will also add that to after dropping our bags at the Jet2 desk, the time taken to clear security was 35 minutes

I take that as a fair point and believe me we had a couple of rough rides through Palma security. But that's nothing to do with JET2, neither has the maze of rope we have to negotiate to get to security.

Sounds like just part of the normal jet 2 experiance to moi eurochallenger

1) Have you ever flown with JET2 simonchowder.

2) If you have flown with Easy, you will be glad this time you are flying JET2.

3) What is a "normal Jet2 experience" simonchowder? - Have to ever experienced to Easy kick and rush type boarding compared with the orderly JET2 system.

Now boarding an Easy a/c is "Bedlam".

simonchowder
4th Oct 2009, 21:43
In answer to your questions, yes i most certainly have flown with jet 2, twice in fact, and both times were dreadfull , now, what is the normal jet 2 experiance ? in no particular order ,the traumatic check in, the tech delays, the cabin literally falling about around ones ears ( i narrowly avoided being brained by a ceiling panel that fell of during take off ), the surly cabincrew, the defective air conditioning which resulted in you being frozen close to death one minute and broiled alive the next, the inopertive toilets ,the stench of urine, all these contribute to the unique jet 2 experiance ,
For the record i never fly easy jet, monarchs my airline of choice, there everything jet 2 are not, reliable , punctual, professional, friendly .

wawkrk
4th Oct 2009, 22:02
I must be flying with another Jet2.
Aircraft always OK and cabin crew very professional.
Don't know about Palma but never seen anyone waiting at the Jet2 check in desks at Murcia, it takes about 2 minutes,same at Leeds,never queued yet.
Big queues for Monarch and Thomas Cook at Murcia.
If most pax are flight only, people will arrive in one's and two's. With charter flights, they more or less arrive on mass I suppose

Ernest Lanc's
4th Oct 2009, 22:26
simonchowder

I have never encountered a bad JET2 flight yet. One tech problem BLK to APG october 2008.

Cabin crew always friendly, and never had a bad landing with JET2.

I have queued at BLK of late, but not at Palma, nor AGP nor ALC. The problem at BLK was the quick drop queue was longer than the airport check in, so the popularity of seat selection and on line check in brought that slight problem, Only 737s depart from BLK.

I have flown with Monarch once to AGP in 2006. The cabin staff were a bit stand offish, one actually commented on my very young daughter at that time forgetting to say Thank You for a goody bag.

The A320 was impressive, but there SEEMED less legroom than on a JET2 737, was like being a sardine - and the landing at BLK summer of 2006 from AGP was at best 'memorable'.

O'h and the queuing at BLK was worse than I have ever experienced with JET2, Ok the A320 is holds more pax than a 737, and there was no on line booking in 2006 with Monarch - But that queue was even worse than using Easy.

compton3bravo
5th Oct 2009, 05:30
Don´t you think your daughter should have said thank you then!

Kev 1
5th Oct 2009, 07:04
"For the record i never fly easy jet, monarchs my airline of choice, there everything jet 2 are not, reliable , punctual, professional, friendly".

You missed the last bit on Monarch that reads "totally inconvenient unless you fly from Manchester or London"

no sponsor
5th Oct 2009, 09:26
''..and the landing at BLK summer of 2006 from AGP was at best 'memorable'.''

And all at no extra cost! :}

Johnny F@rt Pants
5th Oct 2009, 13:19
Jet2.com Now Manchester Airports Biggest Scheduled Leisure Airline

– Nine new routes and 140,000 extra seats for 2010 – 1000,000 seats available from Manchester per year
Jet2.com has today established itself as Manchester Airport’s biggest scheduled leisure airline following the launch of a further four new routes (Dubrovnik, Split, Reus (Costa Dorada) and Prague for summer 2010.
Jet2.com will now serve nine new destinations next year, taking the total routes from Manchester with Jet2.com up to 28.
Today’s announcement means that Jet2.com now offers low fare flights to more destinations than any other airline operating scheduled services out of Manchester Airport and is the only airline to offer flights to Reus (Costa Dorada) from Manchester.
Aircraft at the North West base will be increased to service the new routes with 140,000 extra seats for summer 2010, up 20% on this year, and a total 1,000,000 seats now available per year from Manchester.
Starting fares include:
Dubrovnik from £49.99 one way including taxes departing from 29th April. Flying twice weekly (Thursdays and Sundays)
Split from £49.99 one way including taxes departing from 8th May. Flying twice weekly (Tuesday and Saturday)
Reus (Costa Dorada) from £29.99 one way including taxes departing from 25th May. Flying twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays)
Prague from £19.99 one way including taxes departing from 1st April. Flying four times a week (Mondays, Thursday, Friday and Sunday)
Philip Meeson, boss of Jet2.com, said:
“At Jet2.com we are bucking the trend of other airlines by significantly increasing our services across our bases. Now as Manchester’s favourite and biggest scheduled leisure airline we are leading the pack, offering the most number of scheduled leisure destinations."
“Our continued investment will see us increase our fleet at Manchester quite significantly and create hundreds of new jobs both at the airport and within the tourism industry as a whole."
“Next summer will see us fly up to 140,000 extra passengers to fantastic destinations across Europe and northern Africa, ensuring that people living in and around the region have an unprecedented choice of holiday destination."
“We have carefully planned our schedule and flight times to suit our passenger’s needs, giving them the option to take short breaks or longer holidays of seven, ten or 14 days. We also pride ourselves in offering friendly flights times, ensuring that our passengers get the most out of their holiday"
ATOL protected holidays are also be available to Dubrovnik, Split, Reus and Prague for summer 2010, bookable with a low deposit of just £30 per person. Customers can choose from room only to all inclusive packages, from 2 – 5 star hotels and apartments across a range of resorts.
Located in the far south of Croatia, Dubrovnik is often referred to as the jewel of the Adriatic coast. With beautiful beaches, chic bars, boutique hotels and restaurants, alongside many UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the picturesque walled-city offers something for all types of holidaymakers
Split is the second largest city in Croatia located on the Adriatic Coast. With a vast history ranging back to prehistoric times, Split is packed with evidence of its past including a grand Roman palace, medieval streets and further examples of inhabitation by Greeks, Venetians, Austrians and French. With a stunning coastline, clear sandy beaches and crystalline seas, the city is also a great location for a beach holiday.
Located to the south of Barcelona, Reus Airport provides ideal access in to Spain’s popular Costa Dorada (also known as the Golden Coast due to its extensive golden beaches). The ideal holiday location for families, the area benefits from beautiful coast-lines, quaint fishing towns and the world famous PortAventura theme park.
Prague is the ideal destination for a short city break with stunning architecture, a rich history and plenty of shops, markets and cobbled street to explore. It also offers an exciting nightlife with a selection of bars and clubs

TartinTon
5th Oct 2009, 13:40
Interesting maths being used there by Jet2. I wasn't aware that 1m seats from Manchester offered in a year was bigger than the 1.6m offered by ZB.

They must have different calculators up norf :p

EGBKFLYER
5th Oct 2009, 16:08
They do Tartin - ones that count SCHEDULED seat numbers :} The press release is carefully worded for a reason! (A load of Monarch's flights are charter).

Ernest Lanc's
5th Oct 2009, 17:20
Don´t you think your daughter should have said thank you then!

Yes: But she was a shy 8 year old at the time, and the contact was brief. Also it is my wife and I that should chastise her, not a member of Monarch. would you not agree?.

Also I think the same woman shouted (more than simple voice raising) at a man to sit down, he should not have stood up at the time - But a simple request in the first instance rather than a rude riposte would have been enough IMHO.

viscount702
5th Oct 2009, 18:16
So how many A/C will now be based at MAN and what mix.

Prior to last announcement I think it was 5x 757 and 2 x 737.

I think 8A/C are needed for the latest increase at least most days and that still leaves gaps.

Baron buzz
5th Oct 2009, 19:55
So are Jet2 expanding for next summer?

TSR2
5th Oct 2009, 20:39
My policy has always been never to praise or criticise any airline until I have travelled with them on at least five return flights, on the basis that anyone can have a 'less than desirable' experience be it cabin crew, service or a hard landing etc, on any individual flight.

Having experienced 5 return flights with LS over the past 4 years and 14 return flights with ZB over the past 8 years, I would offer my honest comparisons between the two airlines.

CHECK-IN
LS Generally ok but experienced two lengthy delays.
ZB Completely satisfied.

PUNCTUALITY
LS Excellent
ZB Excellent

AIRCRAFT COMFORT
LS Generally ok except for row 16 on G-LSAA which was very cramped.
ZB Consistently good.

AIRCRAFT INTERIOR CONDITION
LS Poor but not a problem really.
ZB Excellent

ON-BOARD SERVICE
LS Hit and miss
ZB Consistently good

ON-BOARD FOOD
LS Poor selection if meal not pre-booked and paid for in advance.
ZB Good selection and acceptable quality.

ON-BOARD DUTY FREE
LS Availability of advertised items appears to be a problem.
ZB All advertised items available.

CONCERNS
LS Age of aircraft and operating with legal minimum CC.
ZB None

WOULD I RECOMMEND
LS Certainly but mindful of concerns.
ZB Certainly.

Just my honest opinions.

simonchowder
5th Oct 2009, 21:38
Totally agree , ZB streets ahead on every count ,why any sane person would choose LS over ZB is beyond me.

flybar
5th Oct 2009, 21:59
Totally agree , ZB streets ahead on every count ,why any sane person would choose LS over ZB is beyond me

And which Northern Regional Airports do ZB fly from?

righthandrule
5th Oct 2009, 22:08
AIRCRAFT INTERIOR CONDITION
LS Poor but not a problem really.
ZB Excellent

Swings and roundabouts, take it you havent flown on a Monarch 757 then! People think Jet2's are bad ..!

CONCERNS
LS Age of aircraft and operating with legal minimum CC.
ZB None

Legal minimum CC?! Wouldn't it be more of a concern if it was operating with less than legal minimum CC? I guess your not a fan of easyJet, Ryanair and pretty much any other LCC using minimum legal crew?

ON-BOARD DUTY FREE
LS Availability of advertised items appears to be a problem.
ZB All advertised items available.

No wonder the 'On board service' was 'hit and miss' if you audit every single item available for purchase onbaord!

As has been mentioned on here numerous times, yes Jet2 do have some pretty old aircraft, but they are safe to fly on and are reguarly maintained, the cabins on the 737's have had a recent upgrade and the 757's that have not already had work on them, will be getting the make over treatment very soon. At the end of the day Jet2 are as busy as ever and making a decent profit this year, so they must be doing something right!

Ernest Lanc's
5th Oct 2009, 22:38
And which Northern Regional Airports do ZB fly from?

Worse than that - When they did fly out of BLK - ZB left the airport because LS were competing with them on the BLK/APG route come 2007.

Not only did ZB leave BLK, they did so before the summer schedule of 2006 was complete, that was IMO bad form making their pax booked from BLK to APG travel to MAN

TSR2

I think you make some good points and try to be fair, I have flown with ZB and I don't agree on the comfort being on a par with LS. I am talking about the 737s which IMO are much more comfortable than ZBs A320s which IMO were cramped.

righthandrule
5th Oct 2009, 22:42
Based aircraft currently stands at:

LBA: 3x 757, 7x 737 (1 757 to NCL and 1 737 to MAN vs summer 09)
MAN: 4x 757, 4x 737 (1 737 up on this year)
NCL: 2x 757, 1/2x737 (1 757 up on this year)
BFS: 3x 737 (no change)
EDI: 2/3x 737 (no change)
BLK: 2x 737 (no change)
EMA: 1x757

As the schedule stands currently, only one extra 757 is needed, should LBA go back up to a 4x 757 base (rumoured to be happening) I would imagine it would be taken from MAN but an extra 737 put in from LBA. Still some tinkering with the schedules so still may see some more routes.

Ernest Lanc's
5th Oct 2009, 23:28
righthandrule
I hope you are right that with tinkering we may see some new routes. I hope BLK gets a new route as jersey hardly makes up for the loss of Ibiza or Mahon.

Jet2 it seems are not basing a 3rd a/c at BLK as thought for 2010, and that probably is due to LS filling FRs boots at MAN.

Ernest Lanc's
5th Oct 2009, 23:34
Totally agree , ZB streets ahead on every count ,why any sane person would choose LS over ZB is beyond me.

simonchowder.

Reading you other post previous to the above where you state Monarch is you "airline of choice". It's obvious you can come on here and point out any failings you think JET2 may have. What is less obvious is why you come on this thread not just to criticise LS, but to promote Monarch.

It is both off topic and IMO rude, there is a Monarch thread on which you can post the virtues of that airline.

theloudone
6th Oct 2009, 06:46
Righthandrule

Your correct about the old fleet ! , do you know if the aircraft are maintained all the time in this country, or sent overseas for a larger more extensive service, based on a more cost effective engineering basis, or is that left to the bean counters who have real engineering exp ?
Surely the 73`s must be getting close to lap joint inspections ?
That`ll be interesting to see if they get done here.
Best i get off the soap box now.

TartinTon
6th Oct 2009, 08:48
EGBKFLYER...The wording was not lost on me and hence the reason why I only selected the ZB number of seats and not included the charter. Had I done so then the number would have been in excess of 2m for Monarch!!

righthandrule
6th Oct 2009, 08:57
Light maintenance, cabin repairs etc are done in Jet2's hangar at LBA, heavy maintenance is done on Belgrade.

I was talking to one of Jet2's engineers last year and he said they are hoping to get about 5 years more out of them. I'm under the impression the 737 fleet had quite a lot of engine work/heavy mx on them when Jet2 purchased them, considering their age they are pretty reliable. The 737's that have had cabin refreshes are better inside than the mid 90's ex bmi baby 737 J2 have leased but we are all hoping for an order of A319's and A321's but my bet is just newer 733's.

airhumberside
6th Oct 2009, 09:19
BFS: 3x 737 (no change)
I only find enough scheduled work for 2 aircraft. Is one aircraft not used for scheduled work

As the schedule stands currently, only one extra 757 is needed
Plus whatever is needed for the new 9th base

aidoair
6th Oct 2009, 09:33
Plus whatever is needed for the new 9th base

I have a feeling that this won't be going ahead this year, so there shouldn't be much difference if any to the line up that righthandrule has posted.

no sponsor
6th Oct 2009, 10:28
BFS operates the royal mail flights, so QC aircraft are based there, and won't be moved unless the RM flights come to an end, which is unlikely.

RM5 Fan
6th Oct 2009, 11:51
simonchowder
Thomas Cook do (or at least did last year) send aircraft away on checks at the times where the flying programme is lightest, like most airlines, as they couldn't handle all the work in house in such a short space of time (Abu Dhabi was on last years list). Jet2 do have one line of heavy mx "C-Checks" carried out in house on the B733 fleet, which has already started this winter. All Jet2 75 mx is presently undertaken within the UK, with the 737s split between LBA and Jat in BEG.

no sponsor
Only 1 QC aircraft is ever required in BFS. Other units are always pax only aircraft.

Ernest Lanc's
The "BLK"s third based aircraft story is getting tired. In the BLK thread you refer to it as being "A dark day for BLK when FR pulled out of MAN" Please can you tell me which of the following have taken over Ryanair's gaps out of Manchester:-
MAN-PRG (CSA pulled off)
MAN-DBV
MAN-SPU
MAN-REU
MAN-LPA
MAN-VCE
MAN-FNC
MAN-MIR
MAN-KGS

None of the above routes are replacements for those that Ryanair previously operated as taken from FR's website - Barcelona (Girona), Bremen, Brussels (Charleroi), Cagliari, Dusseldorf (Weeze), Frankfurt (Hahn), Marseille, Milan (Bergamo) and Shannon, and I would be surprised if all bar PRG don't have some sort of tour operator support, which BLK presuambly can't offer to most "niche" markets, which increases the viability to the operation of the new routes and reduces the risk to yourself, especially in an economic downturn. If a tour operator buys 50 seats a flight off you you now only have to sell 98 in house on a B733.

righthandrule
6th Oct 2009, 13:57
What an utter load of drivel.

Maybe I should be more clear on the types of maintenance here, Jet2 carry out in house maintenance up to C-Checks, with heavy D-Checks been contracted out to JAT Tehnika in Belgrade. I should have included C-Checks as heavy maintenance, as well, it is heavy maintenance. May I also point out that is exactly the same level of in house maintenance Monarch carry out on their own fleet, so 'outfits' like Jet2 are very much like 'outfits' such as shall we say, Monarch.

Jet2 send their 737 fleet to JAT Tehnika in Belgrade because they are a Boeing 737 classic specialist, you mentioned Thomas Cook and Monarch Engineering, you also said;

beancounters who make these decisions dont have to fly in the things.

Well yes they do fly in them quite a lot, and I will just add that the beancounters make decisions to send their aircraft to engineering facilities that can accomodate their aircraft, it really would be little use sending Jet2's Boeing 737-300's for D Checks at TCAE or Monarch!

You are saying that Jet2's fleet are maintained to a poorer standard than other airlines fleets as they are 'farmed out to whoever is cheapest', I will just draw your attention to how serious this allegation may be and something called a JAR 145 certificate from the EASA. Perhaps you should stop drivelling on about something you have no idea about, stop talking a load of utter crap about Jet2 and grow up.

bluepilot
6th Oct 2009, 15:39
agreed.

I flew for a national flag carrier before jet2 on the 757. The maintenance at Jet2 is far better than my previous airline! I rarely see defects being carried at Jet2 whilst at the "national flag carrier" i regularly had to refer to the MEL for carrying defects, the flight deck sometimes was a sea of yellow inop stickers! What happened was the defects were carried until the next scheduled hanger input unlike Jet2 where defects are often cleared overnight. This is due to the larger ratio of line engineers at Jet2 than my previous outfit.

simonchowder...we got the message, you dont like jet2, but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, now i suggest you be careful on what you are saying in future as at the moment your posts are becoming slanderous.

take-off
6th Oct 2009, 17:20
So nothing new again for BLK, Reus would have been a good route for BLK, filling the gap left by FR to Girona, As it is currently looking for a holiday early next year, as of which , now having to look fro MAN rather than my local, also means i'll be looking at everyone else the flies from MAN, so probably end up flying with someone else. As has been said Jersey is hardly a replacement for Ibiza and Menorca, and a monday malaga flight. Not that i have anything against Jersely ,very nice place, but not where younger people first think of going now is it?, BLK has had more of a retaction for next year, rather than the promise of new extra routes..

flybar
6th Oct 2009, 17:23
companies such as monarch are more likely to get a superior product at the end of a heavy check due the fact their engineering division is i believe one of the finest in the world, and they are working on "their " aircraft, so people tend to go that extra mile , no doubt the eastern european company who look after jet 2 do a reasonable job, but to them jet 2 are i would suggest just another customer,

I have to argue with your logic:-
The 'Eastern European Company' are a contractor to Jet2. There are other contractors who would happily do the work. Therefore they cannot afford to do a 'reasonable job' they have to do a good job or the work will go elsewhere.
The Monarch Engineers get paid whether they do a good job or not. They are no more likely to go the 'extra mile' than any other engineers.

viscount702
6th Oct 2009, 17:50
Does anyone know whether Olbia will be available from MAN 2010. It has not been put on sale yet.

From recollection it was done on a W pattern from EDI this year. The EDI flight was put on sale on 25/9 for 2010 and it is an O/B working. Therefore if it does run I am assuming an O/B working probably using what is currently a vacant spot on Sunday morning.

theloudone
6th Oct 2009, 18:20
flybar
Having worked for Jet2 as an engineer, i have seen first hand the standard of the workmanship from the said mentioned eastern block company, whilst the aircraft return very well presented, they have been known to return with several problems !
Certainly this debate could drag on, who gives a better job and who is cheaper, but surely, to have your fleet maintained in this country and supervised by your own engineering staff, must have its benefits ?

Little Blue
6th Oct 2009, 18:33
Simon suggested the same for Flyglobespans engineering.
Having worked for a very large UK carrier with it's own engineering and now GSM with contracted staff, I can see no discernable difference between the two products.
Monarch were contracted to do my old carriers 330 mtce at MAN. And, yes, they were very good, but no better than anyone else. An engineer with a licence wants to keep it, and that means working to the best of their ability.
Loyalty to their own company means diddly when it comes down to safety.

Ernest Lanc's
6th Oct 2009, 18:34
Having worked for Jet2 as an engineer, i have seen first hand the standard of the workmanship from the said mentioned eastern block company, whilst the aircraft return very well presented, they have been known to return with several problems !

If you know something we don't know. I would appreciate you posting here just what those problems were/are?.

I have flown with JET2 from BLK several times since ZB chased their tail back to Luton, and if you as an engineer formerly with JET2 know of any problems - Being I am flying to Lanzarote JET2 in May/June 2010 and APG in Jul/Aug 2010, if there are problems with the a/c post just what those problems are.

flybar
6th Oct 2009, 18:37
Originally posted by the loudone
Happen to stick my head round the hanger door the other week, i see Jet2 are doing undercarriage changes, didnt know they had the approvals to do them !
Does anyone know if they do ? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif i am sure they must.

Presumably from the tone of this earlier post you don't work for Jet2 any longer!!

Ballymoss
6th Oct 2009, 19:05
Jet2 it seems are not basing a 3rd a/c at BLK as thought for 2020

You have the 10yr plan then? Not the first time you've made this error:=
Sorry, just being a pedant. IMHO, what BLK has is probably as good as it will
get:(

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

righthandrule
6th Oct 2009, 19:26
BLK is limited, as was In the press recently more people visited Leeds as a tourist destination than Blackpool last year, Jet2 will only expand into outbound orientated routes, the holiday routes from BLK failed with the vast majority of passengers travelling to second homes rather than packages. The likes of TFS, ACE, DLM etc, are all not viable from BLK and with passenger traffic to mainland Spain having very little growth it is too bigger risk for Jet2 to put another aircraft in. It will remain a 2 a/c base for the forseeable future.

righthandrule
6th Oct 2009, 19:39
Does anyone know whether Olbia will be available from MAN 2010. It has not been put on sale yet.

Yes, I believe it is to be announced very shortly. If my memory serves me correctly it originates in MAN rather than the W pattern operated this summer from LBA (Not EDI) with a lunchtime departure, 13.00 I believe is planned at the moment.

OLB is a very succesful destination for Jet2, it is very high yielding and consistently had high load factors, I believe Holiday Options are taking a larger allocation from LBA & MAN for next summer.

viscount702
6th Oct 2009, 22:24
Olbia

What day will the flight from MAN operate as the only gap in the timetable at the weekend is Sunday morning.

As I see the timetable at present these are the gaps
Monday 1 x AM
Tuesday 2x PM
Wednesday 1 x AM 4 x PM
Thursday 1 x PM
Friday 1 x PM
Saturday 0
Sunday 1 x AM

Ernest Lanc's
6th Oct 2009, 22:57
You have the 10yr plan then?[...] Not the first time you've made this error

No it's not - Fair comment Bally. However I think 2020 is more realistic for a 3rd a/c at BLK than 2010. So in a way, my typo could be prophetic.

IMHO, what BLK has is probably as good as it will get

You are probably right - Blackpool's fortunes nosedived when FR vacated MAN, and MAN is more attractive to LS than BLK - That IMO is why BLK has no new routes, and a 3rd a/c in the distant future.

Although it has been said on the BLK thread than Mr Meeson was at BLK today, either looking for queues, or he might (just might) have brought a goody bag.

DADDY-OH!
6th Oct 2009, 23:43
I honestly don't know why Jet2 doesn't try routes to Poland from BLK. With the ammount of Poles working in & around Blackpool, the Fylde, Lakes & within 10 miles of Preston there must be a demand for a route to Poland.

Any takers?

Ernest Lanc's
7th Oct 2009, 00:17
DADDY-OH

I reckon a route to Poland would work from BLK - or any airport for that matter. I myself would not go there, but I know quite a few who would.

Aside from that though BLK lacks the bucket and spade brigade that JET2 are looking for in particular with their package holidays. trouble is IMO and JET2 know this, BLK caters for a specialist second home market IMO.

That's why Prague nor Amsterdam never worked, or for that matter London from BLK.

What does puzzle me though and bucks the trend above, was the axing of Ibiza Mahon from BLK, why would JET2 do that when pax was holding up? - And hoist Jersey on BLK another route IMO that won't work.

dada
7th Oct 2009, 05:25
ernest
i dont think u can say london route failed because it wasnt a package destination as opposed to a 2nd home one.
it only failed cos the dreadful ryanair threw their dummy out the pram.

theloudone
7th Oct 2009, 06:16
flybar
Very true, thankfully !

MUFC_fan
7th Oct 2009, 13:04
What does puzzle me though and bucks the trend above, was the axing of Ibiza Mahon from BLK, why would JET2 do that when pax was holding up? - And hoist Jersey on BLK another route IMO that won't work.

IBZ and MAH had low yields - fares were low and load factors were only just into the 80s at the highest.

By flying a third of the distance, they can charge similar fares on the JER run. Why do you think Belfast has lasted so long - low loads but highly profitable.

pug
7th Oct 2009, 17:21
Looks like the 9th new base could be NWI, to start winter 2010 when airframes may become available...

Lowestoft Journal - More destinations planned from Norwich airport (http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/content/lowestoftjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=LOWOnline&category=NEWS&tBrand=lowonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED06%20Oct%202009%2020%3A43%3A08%3A313)

SWBKCB
7th Oct 2009, 18:32
Righthandrule - is this 2x737 during the week, and 1x737 at the weekend (shared with EDI)?

Aren't 2x737QC needed for the mail flights?

EuroChallenger
7th Oct 2009, 18:52
I doubt Norwich would be a Jet2 base, more likely to be Humberside or Doncaster.

Ernest Lanc's
7th Oct 2009, 19:25
dada,

I know Ryanair threw their dummies out of the pram with London, but there was no rush by JET2 or other airlines to pick up and suck that dummy - My point was that it was neither a second home destination not a package destination, so from BLK no airline including JET2 care.

pug
7th Oct 2009, 19:32
I doubt Norwich would be a Jet2 base, more likely to be Humberside or Doncaster.

I find Doncaster very unlikely, and i say that with some confidence, though i wont rule it out completely.

I think, reading the article, that NWI have bagged it. It has been rumoured for a couple of months that Jet2 management have been into NWI to discuss possibilities so i cannot see how it is unlikely.

Id like to be proved wrong but i dont think HUY will be happening, not yet anyway.

commit aviation
7th Oct 2009, 19:54
I'm not so sure:

The article refers to airlines (plural) & routes. I get the impression it could be several airlines probably operating W patterns rather than a new based carrier - Jet2 or otherwise.

pug
7th Oct 2009, 20:01
That is true, and i had thought that myself, but saying that 8 new routes to spain and the canaries to start in October 2010 sounds just like a small Jet2 base to me. It could be that Thomas Cook and Thomson could just be operating these flights, perhaps basing an aircraft or as you say W patterns, but how likely is that?

I think it said airlines (plural) when they were including the new Thomson service to Turkey and the new Bulgaria flight.

Juliojordio
8th Oct 2009, 11:38
Pug

So why the confidence that JET2 will not be going to DSA?

pug
8th Oct 2009, 12:50
Im not going to post that on here... I may be completely wrong and misinformed but i doubt it as alot points against it.

I still think the next base is to be NWI anyway.

airhumberside
8th Oct 2009, 14:16
Righthandrule - is this 2x737 during the week, and 1x737 at the weekend (shared with EDI)?

Aren't 2x737QC needed for the mail flights?

Quote:
Im not righthandrule but from what I can see there is work for 2x757 at NCL next summer and 2x737(Looks like QC's) all week

EDI needs 3x737 Thursday-Sunday

mmeteesside
8th Oct 2009, 19:04
NCL will always be 2 733QC's.... EDI needs 3 733QC's too so that matches.

tbi
9th Oct 2009, 11:18
People at Cardiff are talking of Jet 2 having a base here......Anyone in the airline heard of this, or is it people wishing again?

mathers_wales_uk
9th Oct 2009, 19:09
People at Cardiff are talking of Jet 2 having a base here......Anyone in the airline heard of this, or is it people wishing again?

Where have you heard this from? The only thing i have seen was on the Cardiff thread suggesting that CWL could be the next on the list.

If you don't want to say on forum where you have heared this then please send me a PM as i am quite intrigued.

mathers

danielmellor
9th Oct 2009, 20:12
Could Belfast Maybe get some more planes and have route to Manchester and Gatwick and Take On bmibaby/flybe easyjet?

take-off
9th Oct 2009, 23:40
Wouldn't Norwich be classed as 'South of England', compared to its traditional northern bases?

Ernest Lanc's
9th Oct 2009, 23:52
Norwich is South East England. I doubt JET2 are that bothered about tradition. So I doubt that would be an issue.

BYALPHAINDIA
11th Oct 2009, 16:34
Think LS would set up a base at NWI to recruit FR pax away from that horrible place they call STN airport!

Looked at Jet2 for TFS in Dec from LBIA - now nearly 370 pp just for SC!

Not good value with the rate of the Euro.

SSH is not much difference to TFS now in price compared to over 400 pp last year for four star AI.

pug
11th Oct 2009, 18:54
Wouldn't Norwich be classed as 'South of England', compared to its traditional northern bases?

They did say in the press release last month that the '9th uk base would not be in the South of England' but they could have been saying that to mean the London airports. I would call Norwich eastern rather than southern anyway.

I suspect there are plenty of second home owners in Norfolk which would be perfect for them to exploit and as has been mentioned get the brand awareness down there.

It would be strange for them to start a base in the winter season though, and there doesnt seem to be any spare aircraft for next summer. All seems very unlikely to me now :ugh:

nt639
11th Oct 2009, 19:23
Think LS would set up a base at NWI to recruit FR pax away from that horrible place they call STN airport!Don't think they will recruit many passengers away from Stansted unless fares & frequencies are better than Flybe were & I can't see that happening. Also with parking at Norwich reassuringly expensive & with a £5 per person ADF fee to pay just don't think it will work.

And Stansted is actually a nice airport to fly from!

Ernest Lanc's
11th Oct 2009, 21:25
pug,

Norwich is much farther South than Manchester, and much nearer Stansted. and to say it is East England is debatable.

It is granted the East England European Parliament constituency, but really it IMO is in the South East of England.

I doubt you will see JET2 there is the foreseeable future, they have not the a/c after recent expansions at Manchester and East Midlands.

scratchingthesky has been the nearest IMO as to JET2s aspirations to move in on the South of England "slowly". 'If at all'

Also I would think that JET2 are intent on becoming the premier Northern airline first, with room for expansion to other Northern airports such as Doncaster.

tonker
12th Oct 2009, 09:58
Carlisle it is then.:ok:

RHINO
12th Oct 2009, 10:22
more like Caernarfon.....:ok:

WELSHGUY40
12th Oct 2009, 10:31
so when is it going to be announced this new base

pug
12th Oct 2009, 14:05
Also I would think that JET2 are intent on becoming the premier Northern airline first, with room for expansion to other Northern airports such as Doncaster.

As i have posted already, Doncaster is highly unlikely if not definately not happening. There are a number of reasons which point to this which i wont post on here.

It doesnt look like a base is happening next summer unless there are more aircraft coming in. There simply doesnt seem to be the capacity to open any new bases and i suspect attention is being spent on getting EMA up and running without having to worry about another one.

I still think its wrong to rule out NWI. If any northern england base is happening then HUY would be the obvious missing link but everythings gone quiet on that rumour now.

compton3bravo
12th Oct 2009, 16:51
This may be wide of the mark but just a thought that with easyJet proposing to reduce services at Luton (I know it is in the south of England or south Midlands if you prefer) an opportunity may arise to open a base in the London area. I remember a few years ago there was talk of Jet2 operating a number of services from Luton but this came to nothing mainly due I think to slot problems which would not be a problem at the moment. As easy and the airport are still negotiating I just wonder if Jet2 are waiting on the outcome and that is why they have not made any statement about a new base. As for aircraft there are plenty of B737s and qualified crews around so that should not be a problem. Probably wide of the mark but I thought it might be of interest.

pug
12th Oct 2009, 18:02
I think London airports have been ruled out so unlikely... I believe, despite the amount of 737's around with crews, that a new base is not going ahead now. I would like to be proved wrong though.

12th Oct 2009, 20:04
As ive said before Glasgow could definetley welcome jet2 with open arms, its suffered a good bit with drops in passenger numbers lately.

colinhunn
12th Oct 2009, 22:16
Interested to note that the Dart Group Navajo paid another visit to NWI again today. An imminent announcement?

Jet2krazey
13th Oct 2009, 11:10
Im pretty much sure that Norwich is where some of our aircraft are being re-sprayed this winter and next year,

Dodo56
13th Oct 2009, 12:26
Apologies if this has been asked before but I don't plan to trawl 135 pages to find out!

With RYR spitting the dummy at MAN (supposedly) about landing fees and then muscling in to LBA does this leave any slots at MAN that EXS could take?

dublindispatch
13th Oct 2009, 12:26
I know they are doing some charters again ex-DUB this winter, any chance of schedule in ere?? PLEASE!!

scrapy
13th Oct 2009, 15:14
don't think getting slots at MAN is too much of a problem at the moment

HiflierEK
17th Oct 2009, 21:02
Staff meeting held the other day and the main man PM announced that 767's are a definate and so is long haul !

qwertyuiop
17th Oct 2009, 21:12
I wish all at J2 well but wishing for longhall is mad. Increasing APD, overcapacity on the atlantic and the weakening £ means it is the wrong time.
In my opinion of course!

TSR2
17th Oct 2009, 21:19
Long haul does not necessarily mean crossing the atlantic.

HOODED
17th Oct 2009, 21:33
I wonder if he's thinking of taking on PIA ex LBA now that they have decided not to upgrade the route to a 777.:}

righthandrule
17th Oct 2009, 21:35
Florida, Dominican Rep, Goa and capacity increases on SSH and DLM. Watch this space. Jet2Holidays = :ok:

MUFC_fan
17th Oct 2009, 21:52
righthandrule seems to know what he is talking about!

I expect MAN to be the first base to benefit from the 767s and I think the routes mentioned will be their main priority.

If they have any wits about them, Thailand would be the biggest money spinner available from MAN - the amount of passengers EK take MAN-DXB-Thailand is scandalous.

However, could the 767 reach Thailand non-stop?:confused:

Ernest Lanc's
17th Oct 2009, 22:34
MUFC_fan

Distance between Manchester and Bangkok is 5972.5 miles, or 9611,9 Kilometers.

The range of a 767 is 5,200 to 6,590 nautical miles. And the distance between ENGLAND and Bangkok is 5924,9 miles or 5149.1 nautical miles or 9542.5 Kilometers.

A 767 can carry between 181 and 375 passengers, so at full load it would seem a direct flight between Manchester and Bangkok using a 767 could not make a direct flight with a full load.

MUFC_fan
17th Oct 2009, 22:42
Thanks Ernest Lanc's - just a correction - my name is MUFC_fan, but I must say, I am a fan of that body part too!:ok:

I would assume the airline wouldn't be putting in sole Y class on long haul - I would guess at something along the lines of TOM style.

So basically, can I rephrase my question - could a TOM 767 reach BKK?

Shed-on-a-Pole
18th Oct 2009, 01:20
With Jet2Holidays in mind, wouldn't the resort of Phuket be a more likely choice of destination than the capital Bangkok? MAN has had charter programmes to Phuket before, but I believe they did tech-stop en route.

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 12:14
Sorry, I was just comparing against the lucrative MAN-DXB-BKK route, but yes, Phuket would probably be a better destination.

Baron buzz
18th Oct 2009, 15:15
Manchester - Phuket in a 767 is likely to be not possible. The great circle distance is 6205nm, when for example, MAN-CUN is 4850nm.

Great to hear Jet2 are getting 767's though. Any ideas where from, and when they are likely to get them?

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 15:16
Thanks Baron - maybe they should get hold of a 777 then! :ok:

Baron buzz
18th Oct 2009, 16:35
I would like to see that, but a 777 is an extremely expensive machine requiring alot of high yielding seats on board. Charters simply couldn't make cash on it. The 767 is a perfect charter airline machine, as will be (hopefully) the 787. Perhaps they should order some of those - Boeing would be desperate to shift some more after all the cancellations!!:ok:

Ian Brooks
18th Oct 2009, 17:21
Britannia used to go to Australia with a B767 so why not Thailand with one stop en route

Ian B

DADDY-OH!
18th Oct 2009, 17:49
Ian

Airtours used to operate UK-Oz on a B763 via BAH & SIN so that was 2 stops.

I don't think you could do UK-Oz with a 1-stop programme.

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 17:55
I don't think you could do UK-Oz with a 1-stop programme.

I know! BA, QF, EK, CX, EY, QR, SQ etc. have been trying to work out how to turn UK-Oz into one stop for years!:ok::}

I think you meant with 767s but I couldn't resist!:ok:

Btw, I think a stop somewhere like HKG could be possible.

Mr A Tis
18th Oct 2009, 21:29
Both AV8 & GSM Managed non stop Cape Town fm MAN & there is scope for a Vegas now without BMI on the route. Maldives, Goa, Phuket all possible with stops. Just extra extra capacity on short haul useful too at peaks, so plenty of options for Jet2

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 21:32
Goa and the Maldives are possible non-stop and I think Cape Town and Vegas are two very good spots!

Obviously, we just ASSUME the aircraft will be at MAN...:confused:

AEUENG
18th Oct 2009, 21:47
I think Thomsonfly used to do MAN - HKT on the 767 with a splash and dash tech stop in Al Ain, UAE. I could be getting confused though!

Ernest Lanc's
18th Oct 2009, 22:08
Seems to me that if LS want to fly to exotic places like Hong Kong - jamaica or Florida Mexico et al - Dart will have to buy a proper a/c for the job such as a 747. No point in having to do multi stops with a 767. Pax will not use Jet2 when they can get a better deal with airlines - with a/c designed for the long haul job.

Just my opinion, but they could if using a 767 fly to destinations such as Kenya, rather than the Far East.

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 22:12
We were just mentioning that HKT would be a real money spinner IF they could get a non-stop flight and then that led off track a little...

I do think though, that if they are to stick (mostly) to their current model, then :

Las Vegas
Cape Town
Sanford

Should be on their list. I think that, if they DO get a 767 in, they may use it on short/medium haul next summer, maybe MAN-Turkey/Egypt/Spain and then maybe send it further a field during the winter.

I think a 767 could be really good for Jet2!

righthandrule
18th Oct 2009, 22:37
Not that I have any insider info, because a flying programme for the 767 is miles off, they has not been any cash paid yet, but this would be my own initial guess:

1st a/c at LBA for the summer on a route proving exercises i.e PFO, DLM, TFS etc .. followed by:

2nd a/c at MAN for the likes of DLM, SSH, TLV, TFS & ACE (All very well performing routes for Jet2) and new routes to SFB, GOI and POP, with:

the LBA aircraft moving onto SFB & POP as well as YYZ.

I may be wrong as I believe LBA has the market to support a 767 on a purely short haul network as well as a limited long haul market, where as MAN has the scope for a decent long haul leisure market. Just to add all these current destinations are all well supported by Jet2Holidays and tour operators, in reality meaning for example;
Jet2 only needing to directly sell less than 200 seats on a 767 to the likes of SFB, something I think is very realistic.

A lot of people criticise Mr Meeson, especially some of the staff regarding his pay rise this year, but you have to give it to the man, 5 years ago if someone had said a low cost airline would be flying a 757 to Tenerife a lot would have thought it would be doomed to fail, never mind flying to the likes of Tel Aviv, Sharm and an extensive charter network (Including Dubai and Toronto last year), he knows what makes money and turning more towards the lesiure market will ensure Jet2 remains a successful and growing carrier.

Ernest Lanc's
18th Oct 2009, 22:44
I agree a 767 would be good for LS.

You make a few points in your post. Turkey IMO should be expanded from MAN - I think there is only one destination from Manchester to Dalmatian, wherever that is. What about Bodrum and Altinkum?.

Also Greece is another, LS fly to Kos and Crete and Rhodes I think, yet no route to the popular Corfu.

Longer Haul - Las Vegas is 5087 miles from MAN, so would be just about doable with a 767.

Obviously, we just ASSUME the aircraft will be at MAN...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif
Would make sense - But was the first departure to New York not from Leeds?.

MUFC_fan
18th Oct 2009, 22:51
Could the 767 not just free up a 757 from LBA, increase capacity on the LBA short haul routes and use a 757 for LBA-JFK?:confused:

Ringwayman
18th Oct 2009, 23:14
Las Vegas would be more than doable, given that BA flew a couple of hundred miles further non-stop to LAX. Even MAN-HKG shows a great circle map distance shorter than MAN-CPT, though whether the practicality of 767s operating such a route is slightly debatable as HKG is one of those destinations that has quite a large number of pax routing via LHR, so would be more in the remit of Cathay Pacific who ought to be able to get a portion of the business traffic that would warrant a 3 weekly servce minimum.

righthandrule
18th Oct 2009, 23:29
LBA-JFK will never happen at Jet2, it is going ahead in the form of a charter programme for next christmas again but nothing more than just a couple of flights will ever materialise.

Should long haul happen at Jet2, it will be from MAN to start with, however the first routes flown on the 767 will be from LBA due to the large Jet2 infrastructure available at LBA to get 767 operations up and running.

This is assuming the aircraft do actually come, 757's have been rejected in the past due to their condition so we may see the same with the 767, also baring in mind if its a Rolls Royce bird (maybe ex BA/QF?) there may be some further performance issues from LBA. Time will tell but exciting times ahead at Jet2.

goldeneye
19th Oct 2009, 09:19
Airtours/MyTravel then Thomas Cook all operated Las Vegas non stop on Boeing 767-300 aircraft. I even think Leisure Intl/Air 2000 did the same.
Although im not sure if LAS would be a viable route for LS as TCX operate from MAN, then you have CO, US, DL, AA with one change, and also BA start there LHR service this month which i think is daily, along with VS from LGW again Daily.

My money would be on SFB initialy.

bluepilot
19th Oct 2009, 10:30
I believe Newcastle is in the running to have a 767 based there. Taking the geordies to vegas is a sure fire winner!

Johnny F@rt Pants
19th Oct 2009, 11:52
Although im not sure if LAS would be a viable route for LS as TCX operate from MAN, then you have CO, US, DL, AA with one change, and also BA start there LHR service this month which i think is daily, along with VS from LGW again Daily.

My money would be on SFB initialy.

Don't quite follow your logic on this, Orlando in operated from MAN by all the charter operators, and Virgin, along with the US carriers and BA with one en-route stop. LAS is only operated by one charter operator, whilst there's less demand for LAS over Orlando I don't think your arguement stacks up at all.

HXdave
19th Oct 2009, 12:16
johnny, totally agree with you on that. after all, practically anywhere in the states, canada even middle & far east is possible from manchester with just 1 change en route.

i would love to see a dominican route from either man or lba, i'm sure with the choice of great value accommodation there that surely must be a contention. alternatively they could put it on one of their short haul / high density route - one that is practically full all the time and popular, increasing capacity on a sure fire route.

was there any mention of numbers of 767 aircraft?

The96er
19th Oct 2009, 15:24
Should long haul happen at Jet2, it will be from MAN to start with, however the first routes flown on the 767 will be from LBA due to the large Jet2 infrastructure available at LBA to get 767 operations up and running.

So you're saying that Manchester lacks the infrastructure to handle 767's ??? :confused:

goldeneye
19th Oct 2009, 16:23
Don't quite follow your logic on this, Orlando in operated from MAN by all the charter operators, and Virgin, along with the US carriers and BA with one en-route stop. LAS is only operated by one charter operator, whilst there's less demand for LAS over Orlando I don't think your arguement stacks up at all.

My argument is that Orlando has far more demand than Las Vegas from the UK market.
Bearing in mind that the charters to Orlando now are only TOM, MON and TCX and thats it, compared to a few years ago with MYT, MON, XLA, TOM, FCA, TCX.
TCX and TOM dont operate the number of flights like they used to.

I may be wrong in my thinking, but i still think if its a US destination it will be Orlando.

righthandrule
19th Oct 2009, 19:37
So you're saying that Manchester lacks the infrastructure to handle 767's ??? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Not at all, I was purely meaning as LBA is Jet2's home base, completely self handling station with an in house on site maintenance facility as well as the companies HQ - primarily operations as i'm sure there will be a lot of analysing the first few flights. Everyone who will be involved with the 767 introcution are based at LBA, as were the guys who sorted out ETOPs so it is natural for the company to trial the flights where there is most scope for it all to go tits up. In reality MAN has much better infrastructure to handle 767's than LBA does from a day to day operational perspective, however I was meaning from Jet2's perspective.

Also LBA has the route network to allow 767 operations on proving flights i.e AGP/ALC/PMI double daily (757 & 737) so plenty of scope for putting a 767 on without adding any uncessary capacity. Also there is a fair bit of concern over performance issues with the 767 (particuarly the -300) at LBA, so surely its a good idea to find out to start with what the limitations are rather than launch a programme to later find tech stops are needed.

The word is that its 2x 767-300ER (RB-211 variant) to be equipped with winglets, i'm not sure if the RB-211 variant has got certification for winglets yet, time will tell!

JKKne
20th Oct 2009, 15:23
A rather amusing if not hyped story of a 3 hour delay to a Jet2 flight into Newcastle after a passenger dropped her mobile into the air vent of the plane resulting in engineers taking out seats and lifting the nose of the aircraft to locate it

ChronicleLive - News - Today's Chronicle - Plane dismantled as passenger drops mobile in vent (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/10/20/plane-dismantled-as-passenger-drops-mobile-in-vent-72703-24972229/)

smudgethecat
20th Oct 2009, 15:30
Whats amusing about it? some moronic pax who cant wait to switch her mobile on drops the thing and this results in a long of work and a long delay, friggin hilarious

HXdave
20th Oct 2009, 15:34
regarding the above story, here is a quote from the article:

They watched as the cockpit area and three rows of seats were taken apart as engineers searched for it.

did they really really take the flightdeck to bits?

righthandrule
20th Oct 2009, 16:00
did they really really take the flightdeck to bits?

No, I believe it was one of the QC 733's, so the passengers see the side cargo door open as well as doors 1, this some how translates to non aviation savvy passengers, that the cockpit is been taken apart!

I would have thought it was more of a security risk rather than technological risk to leave the phone onboard?

dublindispatch
20th Oct 2009, 18:19
Are Jet 2 doing the 757 ACE flights and ski charters again this Winter, any sign of any more permanant routes with them? Fantastic airline and crew to deal with.

EC-ILS
20th Oct 2009, 19:06
Dublinindispatch are your real initials MP by chance?

I know LS will be doing the PDV charters this winter and I see they had a TLV charter last week, is that to continue? Not sure about the others.

Im sure LS could make a good go at DUB-FUE/SSH/ADB. FUE has 1 scheduled flight a week with EI despite FR proving it can work before they had a fight with FUE and the potential for a scheuled DUB-ADBservice in the summer is huge!

dwshimoda
20th Oct 2009, 20:09
Dublinindispatch are your real initials MP by chance?

Presumably you mean PM :ok:

re Chroniclelive, they should at least learn how to spell Murcia, I may then read the article!

DW.

SWBKCB
21st Oct 2009, 07:28
Bit I liked was:

“A few of the passengers were getting a bit upset, but most of us just sat and took it because we’re English. We trusted the engineers and the captain’s decision because they’re the professionals."

:D:D:D

david1994
21st Oct 2009, 08:24
Is there any chance of LS placing a B757 next summer in BFS , G-LSAB was in all last summer , went to TFS , MJV , TFS and PMI

benish
21st Oct 2009, 10:14
I have a friend in Jet2 ops who has just informed me that

Two Qantas 767-300ERs are currently in Belgrade getting painted in the Jet2 colours, and one will base at LBA and the other at MAN.

jet2impress
21st Oct 2009, 10:24
This is rubbish!!! Painting would be the final stage before the aircraft was sent out on the line!! Jet2 would have the aircraft for months before any painting was done. :ugh:

benish
21st Oct 2009, 10:42
Well in that case there in Belgrade having something done, whatever that may be I don't know.
I presumed Belgrade had a painting facility...

HXdave
21st Oct 2009, 11:10
if jet2 are indeed purchasing these 767's, at what point would they need to be registered under the dart group. would they have to have a G- registration before jet2 would be able to do any work on them?

Flightrider
21st Oct 2009, 14:53
If they are ex-Qantas and RR 767s, then they will be the ex-BA ones so have already been on the UK register - which helps. If I recall correctly, the BA 767s are quite low weights (181 tonnes) and the RR engines are not great for performance - there were some issues in BA with operating them on certain routes, particularly to Asia - relating to drift-down altitudes en route.

BOAC4ME
21st Oct 2009, 16:36
I wonder if someone could answer me a question, at stations where JET2 are based and have a ticket/customer service desk, do they employ their own staff directly or does a Ground Handler / Representation Company look after their desks??

david1994
21st Oct 2009, 17:28
I wonder if someone could answer me a question, at stations where JET2 are based and have a ticket/customer service desk, do they employ their own staff directly or does a Ground Handler / Representation Company look after their desks??

In their Belfast base [BFS] they do have a JET2.COM ticket desk and there ground handler is SERVISAIR and they do check-in etc and ticket desk no Jet2 staff are directly employed in BFS

BOAC4ME
21st Oct 2009, 17:48
Hi David1994, thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but is BFS a base for JET2? and if so I presume they have a Station Manager at least, or no?

david1994
21st Oct 2009, 17:51
Yea it is in-deed a base for them , their Station Manager is Servisair , they have 3X B733's based after last year and the downturn we lost the B752 :(

righthandrule
21st Oct 2009, 22:38
As far as i'm aware, the stations with Jet2.com staff are as follows;

LBA - Ticket Desk, Check-in staff and Ramp
MAN - Ticket Desk only - check-in by Aviance
NCL - Ticket Desk only - check in by Swissport(?)
AGP - Ticket Desk, Check-in staff and Ramp
PMI - Ticket Desk, Check-in staff and Ramp
MJV - Ticket Desk, Check-in staff and Ramp
TFS - Ticket Desk and Check-in staff

All other stations are handled by agents.

LPFR
22nd Oct 2009, 00:13
Thought that BLK as a base and Jet2 as one of the main feeders for the airport, had self handling there as well :confused:

IB4138
22nd Oct 2009, 06:23
The handling agents at BLK are Blackpool Airport themselves.

trebor
22nd Oct 2009, 14:21
In TFS only salesdesk staff are Jet2 same as ACE and ALC.

BFS also has Jet2 staff the same as NCL. As far as I am aware all uk salesdesks and station managers are Jet2.

MUFC_fan
22nd Oct 2009, 14:23
BLK doesn't have Jet2 sales desk personnel but obviously has a station manager.

plasticAF
22nd Oct 2009, 23:44
Benish

As far as I can make out all Jet2 have in Belgrade is B737's. I am willing to be corrected

Just looked around the tinterweb and it looks like a B757 is possibly there as well. perhaps that is where the rumour comes from. I will keep looking as I don't trust the on line encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

benish
23rd Oct 2009, 09:20
Hi plasticAF, I have been told what I have been told, so its our choice to believe it or not really. With info that has been passed to me before from my mate, I'd definatly consider this the truth!

Where did you find the info on 737s and 757s in Belgrade?
I tried googling belgrade airport and I couldnt find anything to suggest what facilities it has, so I presume it must have a painting/engineering hangar?

Mooncrest
23rd Oct 2009, 11:53
Jet2 in Belgrade. The company simply sends some of the 737 fleet there for heavy maintenance during winter downtime. I'm not aware of the 757s going there. The company does not operate any flights to or from Belgrade, other than positioning to or from for said maintenance.

plasticAF
24th Oct 2009, 09:22
Benish

Info from Wikipedia about B757-200 type aircraft. I typed in JAT Technica and hunted around. Still digging though

plastic

MUFC_fan
24th Oct 2009, 11:05
Any reason for the AMS-DSA and BFS-DSA flights this morning?

SWBKCB
24th Oct 2009, 11:06
LBA Diversions?

MUFC_fan
24th Oct 2009, 11:09
Just checked - they are diversions. How come LBA was closed (now open)?

Air Southwest flight from Newquay/Bristol diverted to MAN - I wonder why the two LS flights didn't do the same? Must be head office if BOTH flights head to DSA. Funny when you consider MAN being LS's 2nd largest base...

airhumberside
24th Oct 2009, 11:16
Jet 2 have an agreement with DSA for diversions

Leodis
24th Oct 2009, 12:59
LBA has a new glidepath so no CAT III available until November.

Vuelo
24th Oct 2009, 16:41
I heard a rumour LS are gping to expand at MAN into more city markets. Is this true? Have heard MAD, LIS, SZG, WAW and BBU are in the pipeline.

flybar
24th Oct 2009, 16:50
Thick Fog at LBA this morning

StoneyBridge Radar
24th Oct 2009, 21:19
Thick Fog at LBA this morning

Should clear by May. :E

EuroChallenger
1st Nov 2009, 07:02
Does anyone know why the Man - Ace and Man - Alc are shown as cancelled today? This is shown on Man's departure pages.

Coaches to Leeds maybe for the passengers?

IB4138
1st Nov 2009, 07:42
If you bothered to look at MAN departures, you would find that both flights have been rescheduled to earlier times and have not been cancelled.

:rolleyes:

TSR2
1st Nov 2009, 10:37
Well spotted but I think you mean rescheduled to a later departure time.

flybar
1st Nov 2009, 10:56
Well spotted but I think you mean rescheduled to a later departure time.

Departures Board has been updated because they were showing as operating earlier than before.
Presumably the wrong flight had been cancelled!!

EuroChallenger
1st Nov 2009, 12:12
Well the word "cancelled" showed on the board, so that, in the dictionary, means just that - cancelled!

Sorry to have asked IB4138.

Ian Brooks
1st Nov 2009, 12:28
Quite often if a flight is rescheduled both flights appear on the board with the incorrect
one showing cancelled

Ian B

TSR2
1st Nov 2009, 12:35
LS891 to Arrecife 13.00 shows cancelled. 15.35 shows wait in lounge.
LS879 to Alicante 15.30 shows cancelled. 17.45 shows wait in lounge.

Would it not be easier for everyone if the original flights showed 'rescheduled to' or 'now departing at' instead of using cancelled. This practice has caused problems in the past on arrivals.

TSR2
1st Nov 2009, 12:56
I notice that Jet2 have increased the price of pre-purchased on-board meals by 25% to £10 per flight.

aidoair
1st Nov 2009, 16:19
I notice that Jet2 have increased the price of pre-purchased on-board meals by 25% to £10 per flight.

That is an absolute joke and unfair to anyone ordering one as they are absolutely not worth this, £7 was steep enough. Save your money and get something at the airport instead now i think. Could this be a move to discourage the sale of them? or are they actually going to give exta/improve them I wonder...

MUFC_fan
1st Nov 2009, 16:21
That is an absolute joke and unfair to anyone ordering one as they are absolutely not worth this, £7 was steep enough. Save your money and get something at the airport instead now i think. Could this be a move to discourage the sale of them? or are they actually going to give exta/improve them I wonder...

This is in line with most charter carriers...

aidoair
1st Nov 2009, 16:30
This is in line with most charter carriers...

At my airline we usually charge £6 - £7 each way shorthaul (depends on the actual route which price for some reason), £7.50 each way medium haul including canaries i think and longhauls now included either booknig flight only or through your tour operator. Having flow LS I still feel £20 for a return small portion meal is pretty steep!

ConstantFlyer
1st Nov 2009, 16:40
Save your money and get something at the airport instead

Has nobody heard of a packed lunch?

righthandrule
1st Nov 2009, 16:46
I notice that Jet2 have increased the price of pre-purchased on-board meals by 25% to £10 per flight

Lets get this right, as with everything (baggage, extra legroom etc) Jet2 charge on three scales (Low - short routes i.e. AMS, Medium - i.e. AGP and High - i.e. SSH)

There has been a 50p per flight increase in meal costs. For example:
ALC - was £7.50 each way, now £8.
PFO - was £12 each way, now £12.50.

The meals Jet2 serve are a dam sight better value than most airlines, plus you get a complimentary drink with each meal.

As usual people getting the wrong end of the stick with wrong facts and jumping to the wrong conclusion. :ugh:At the end of the day you don't have to buy a meal... and who cares if Thomson's carge is £6-£7. You are not going to suddenly stop the whole booking process and not fly with Jet2 because Thomson's meals are a measly £1 more! Who cares Jet2 are a LOW COST AIRLINE!

conti onepass
1st Nov 2009, 16:51
thomsons av increased their baggage charges from 6.50 to 10 pound, just booked with them, im taking hand luggage, i refuse to pay for a bag.

aidoair
1st Nov 2009, 18:14
As usual people getting the wrong end of the stick with wrong facts and jumping to the wrong conclusion. :ugh:At the end of the day you don't have to buy a meal... and who cares if Thomson's carge is £6-£7. You are not going to suddenly stop the whole booking process and not fly with Jet2 because Thomson's meals are a measly £1 more! Who cares Jet2 are a LOW COST AIRLINE!

Actually i don't care at all to be honest. You seem a little defensive and worked up over this and theres no need. What i was doin was showing to MUFC_fan similar charges by the charters in comparison. Having flown with LS the meals are hardly any different in terms of quantity and what you get as with what you do with any airline these days, so thats the reason I was commenting on the price, wondering if there was going to be anything changed or added to make them better. Again i suppose not really bothered but for some people, if this is what they want to discuss then that's fine. No need to make a deal if they are.

As for the Low fares well that's debatable, I suppose they are friendly though :ok:

EuroChallenger
1st Nov 2009, 18:40
Hi

I had a premium meal on a recent Jet2 service - pre booked, both out and return. I will not do it again. Very poor in terms of quality and quantity. The outbound meal was something that looked like meat, and the return was chicken. The return did taste like chicken though. The best part however was a mini Toblerone. Overall, outward consisted of...

Portion of pasta
bread roll
meat stuff????
hot drink
crackers
Toblerone
Some sort of apple desert.

The inbound was similar, with the meat looking substance replaced with chicken.

Next time, we will set off earlier and have a Little Chef en route, avoiding airport prices!

conti onepass
1st Nov 2009, 19:21
i cant fault jet2 for their cabin crew and service, but ive seen people getting their meals, in a white slim box with the food on top of it, does not look very nice.

TSR2
1st Nov 2009, 20:07
When I posted that the cost of a meal had increased by 25% to £10, I was comparing the price applicable on the MJV route this past September with the ACE route next June.

I was unaware that Jet2 have a pricing policy according to route therefore my posting may be misleading for which I apologise.

The following prices apply to next June:
MJV - £8
ACE - £10
SSH - £12.50

I also note that there is a 'Fuel Supplement' on the SSH route (of the 3 routes quoted) only. Any idea why this should be?

BYALPHAINDIA
3rd Nov 2009, 01:08
Every time I go onto the site it takes forever to load up, And when I click onto a 'Destination' it sometimes takes a good 4/5 minutes?

On a few occasions it has 'Kicked' me off completely, And I have to start all over again!!

But never have any trouble with TOM, TCX, ZB sites.

Does anyone else get this problem?

LS may lose bookings if they don't sort this out soon?

LPFR
3rd Nov 2009, 13:34
Jet2 may lose bookings as well if they don't improve the online check-in facility, especially regarding the seating. I mean, either include the "seating selection" fee from the start for those choosing online check-in, or seat the damn people together.
Why on earth would the first people to check-in (a family) be allocated 35AB & 35DE? Yeah, at least 2 seats are together and they are in the same row, but is still a bit ridiculous. It's been happening constantly and it's not funny at the airport check-in. Plus, for those checking-in at the airport there's virtually no seats together left either to allocate.

Yes, they could all pay to pre book seats together. But it's not very costumer friendly if you ask me.

conti onepass
3rd Nov 2009, 19:08
ive done on line check in about 4 times now, family of always got a row together, never any probs, the earlier you check in on line the better the choice you get

TSR2
3rd Nov 2009, 20:13
the earlier you check in on line the better the choice you get

If you have not pre-booked specific seats you don't get a choice as the system allocates your seats. Personally I have not had any problems but people around us on flights certainly have.

Ernest Lanc's
3rd Nov 2009, 20:33
ive done on line check in about 4 times now, family of always got a row together, never any probs, the earlier you check in on line the better the choice you get

I always check in online, but to be honest I leave it until the last minute - Mostly you will get good seat 3 months or even nearer prior to your departure (I) have found.

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Nov 2009, 00:02
But checking in online is surely defeating the object?

When LS pay people to personally check in pax.

The same as going to the supermarket and using the self service isle.

If people keep checking in online, Then LS will get the idea that they no longer need people?

And they will be put on the truck to timbuck2!!

righthandrule
4th Nov 2009, 16:36
If people keep checking in online, Then LS will get the idea that they no longer need people?

And they will be put on the truck to timbuck2!!

Yeah that is true, however that's the joy of temporary contracts. All check in staff for Jet2 are taken on a temp contract, the permanent staff are the core staff needed for the winter, with summer staff exactly that, taken on for the summer, they know that and don't expect to be kept on, and believe it or not, that doesn't stop them from wanting to come back the following season.

You also have to consider there is natural growth within the business, yes a lot of people are checking in online, but they still need staff to man the bag drop desks. As was the case at LBA this year, Jet2 actually used more check in desks, requiring more staff than last year to accomodate bag drop, despite on some days there been less flights than the previous year. Jet2 will never go all online check in like Ryanair, so yes a couple of 'traditional' desks may be swapped over for 'online' desks each year, but they still need the staff to operate them. Unlike Ryanair, Jet2 don't expect only one member of staff to man the bag drop desks.

flybar
4th Nov 2009, 16:45
The same as going to the supermarket and using the self service isle.

Excellent system over which you have total control - like checking in on line.

Don't have to put up with the jobsworths who seem to enjoy upsetting customers to justify their existence!!

righthandrule
4th Nov 2009, 18:45
Don't have to put up with the jobsworths who seem to enjoy upsetting customers to justify their existence!!

I'll pass that comment on to the girls on check in, those false nails can be filed to be pretty dam sharp - be warned!! :}

I have a lot experience of working with Jet2's check in staff, and there is no way I would call them 'jobsworths'! I take it you have never had a passenger scream at you because their bag is 5kg overweight and it is 'YOUR' fault? Or being screamed at because the passenger booked themself as 'Smith, Bob' when their passport says 'Smith, Robert'? If you actually tried that job, you would know how much they have to put up with. Your opion would be very different, the phrase 'jobsworth' would never cross your mind! :ugh:

Ernest Lanc's
4th Nov 2009, 19:26
BYALPHAINDIA

Your post may have been accurate some time ago. jet2 now charge you 33 to check in on-line, and £6 to check-in at the airport.

If people keep checking in online[,,,] Then LS will get the idea that they no longer need people?

Exactly what LS want - Hence the reason for the £6 charge to check in at the airport. they would prefer 100% check in on-line, but even if not - It's heads they win, and tails we lose. Check in on-line and save cash.

Skipness One Echo
12th Nov 2009, 18:33
Hi All,
Can someone fill in the gaps below as to when these airfields became bases?
Any corrections welcome.
Thanks

Leeds/Bradford from Day One
Manchester Sep-2004
Blackpool
Belfast
Newcastle
Edinburgh Apr-2006
East Midands May-2010

airhumberside
13th Nov 2009, 14:20
Where NCL/EDI/BFS Channel Express bases and open before Jet 2 was even thought off?