PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

wawkrk
12th Aug 2009, 14:02
First casualty Krakow now dropped next year.

BFS101
12th Aug 2009, 14:21
you mentioned BHD - LBA with FR, is this likely to happen in the future as wasn't one of the new routes announced yesterday?

Lord I hope not!!!
LBA more than adequately covered by FlyBE from BHD and Jet2 from BFS. Already competitive services keeping prices reasonable and frequencies up to 6 per day!!! What would FR really achieve, save you a fiver if you don't check in baggage, waow!!

gate 22
12th Aug 2009, 15:50
you mentioned BHD - LBA with FR, is this likely to happen in the future as wasn't one of the new routes announced yesterday?

Bhd seems to have a rule whereby FR are not to compete on any routes already served by another carrier. Air Berlin operated STN/BHD during the early days of FR at Bhd. Only when Air Berlin pulled the route did FR announce their intention to operate it. Bhd is probably one of only a couple of airports that can talk down to FR!!!

Jet2krazey
12th Aug 2009, 18:43
"Why waste money to board a tatty 733 when you are able to board a nice modern jetliner plus its alot cheaper"

No offence but myself personally wouldnt care weather it was a 20yr old 737 or a barnd new one! Who takes that into account when booking your ticket! unless i was a plane spootter!
A seat is a seat! as as long as the airline gets me from A to B and looks after me, and Jet2 always look after their pax, the only thing i look at is the price! but i would still rather fly with anyone than Ryanair, fares maybe low but onboard products are very pricey compared to Jet2. Jet2 also offer on longer routes IFE, and there is Jet2 plus as well as Myjet2 for loyal customers, and 1st 7 rows on the 757 being extra leg room! 34inches! more than most longhaul carriers!

Also over the winter the Jet2 aircraft are going through a phase of cabin refits with brandnew seating and carpets, the new seats give you and extra 2 inches leg room, and thats set at the standard 28in seat pitch due to there design! so unless your a plane spotter most people wont know there on a 20yr old aircraft! Just look at G-LSAC thats had the new seats fitted and carpets and looks very modern inside now! pax love the leg room! I dont think the aircrafts look that tatty at all, Even as they are now before the refits! ive flown on worse with other carriers!

ACRO Aircraft Seating - Passenger seats (http://www.acro.aero/passenger_seats.html)

Check out the website for the new seats! :ok:

LPFR
12th Aug 2009, 19:26
G-LSAC looks very good in the inside, indeed. Been there when the new seats were fitted. The winglets look great as well.

Humm..what about this "message" for the passengers at the website today? Anything to do with Ryanair coming into Leeds? Noooooo :E

"Don´t be robbed! 22kg Baggage Allowance from £7.99 with Jet2.comOther Airlines will charge YOU £115! Jet2.com, the friendly low fares airline, offers the best deals on flights and baggage – don´t be fooled by some of the robbers out there with hidden charges! The benefits of travelling with Jet2.com include:

22kg baggage allowance from £7.99 one way – on other airlines this could cost YOU £115! (£230 return)
Seat Allocation – Be sure to sit with your family, on some other airlines you’ll have a mad rush to grab a seat!
Sports Equipment costs £20 one way with Jet2.com – some other airlines will charge YOU over £74!
FREE ONLINE Check-in for Hand baggage with Jet2.com – some other airlines will charge YOU!
AIRPORT Check–in with Jet2.com will only cost you £3 each way – on some other airlines YOU will be charged a staggering £40 each way! Don’t be fooled by other airlines – YOU will be robbed – for a cheap flight with transparent pricing don’t delay – book with Jet2.com TODAY"

TSR2
12th Aug 2009, 19:29
Good for Jet2. Well done.

TSR2
12th Aug 2009, 19:34
I dont think the aircrafts look that tatty at all, Even as they are now before the refits!

Beg to differ. Flew on AE last year and it was, lets say, depressing.

ALLMCC
12th Aug 2009, 20:07
"Bhd seems to have a rule whereby FR are not to compete on any routes already served by another carrier"

I suspect this will not be the case for much longer. Flybe do not seem to be interested in BHD any longer. Routes like NQY although summer only have been withdrawn together with the short lived IOM and frequencies on other routes have been reduced considerably. Also the number of based units is reducing.

I do hope FR start LBA, at least the fares will be more competitive than Flybe and flights are more likely to be on time. Remember Flybe operated LPL from BHD for a time and couldn't make it work yet FR have made a success of it and are adding an extra rotation for the winter schedule.

righthandrule
12th Aug 2009, 20:42
737 cabin upgrades are nearly complete, the remaining few frames are to be done over the winter on their annual trip to Belgrade.

As for the 757's, new seats for AA, AB, AD, AE over the coming months, winglets to be added to two more aircraft.

Jet2 has superior levels of service, the crew are fantastic and really do make the airline what it is. It will be very interesting to see what happens over the coming months, my bet is that the leased aircraft will be going back to the lessors at the end of this summer season and will not re-appear next year, even though G-LSAJ is a lovely aircraft. MAN will gain more routes to longer haul destinations with Jet2 taking seat allocations on their current charter routes. I see the likes of LPA, KGS, BJV coming, similarly at LBA with SSH going year round aswell as an increase on DLM, also Thomas Cook and Jet2 have a very good business relationship, with more Thomas Cook holidays being operated on Jet2 aircraft over the coming months.

there is Jet2 plus as well as Myjet2 for loyal customers, and 1st 7 rows on the 757 being extra leg room! 34inches! more than most longhaul carriers!

The new legroom seats have been a massive hit and a great generator of cash, what few realise is that in the previous configs (228Y AB, 235Y AA, AC, AD, AE, AJ, 238Y AH, AI, AG) bookings were only taken up to 228 on all 757 routes, with the seat reduction no seats that could be sold have been lost. (All aircraft now 228Y except AH, AI, AG with 232Y) 36 premium seats added with 34" legroom but Jet2 have not lost out of available seats to be sold. On each 757 flight thats around £500 extra revenue for nothing.

TSR2
12th Aug 2009, 20:53
Posted by righthandrule
Jet2 has superior levels of service

I think you are a little biased.:ok:

Unless there has been a major improvement this year, there is a long way to go to match ZB.

Rampmole
12th Aug 2009, 21:00
Hi can anyone please tell me what the problem was with this flight today. My mam was on the this flight and said they experienced an 8 hr delay without being told what the problem was. Could someone please shed some light on it please so i can put her mind at rest. Tar.

righthandrule
12th Aug 2009, 21:08
I think you are a little biased.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Quite the opposite! There is severe competition between crew and ground staff! We blame everything on them and they blame everything on us! :} Jokes aside the crew at Jet2 have had a rough deal recently with their SPH targets but I have not met a bunch of more hard working people. (Yes Jet2Krazey thats coming from ground staff!!) :ok:

Hi can anyone please tell me what the problem was with this flight today. My mam was on the this flight and said they experienced an 8 hr delay without being told what the problem was. Could someone please shed some light on it please so i can put her mind at rest. Tar.

I believe it was down to Murcia Airport again, The Spanish Airforce have relaxed their flying times over the summer at MJV but the Spanish F1 have moved in while the runway at Albacete airport is being resurfaced. Meaning last minute delays at the airport, the LBA flight only just made it before the Airport changed their plans.

Out of interest was she offered a free flight in compensation?!

INKJET
12th Aug 2009, 21:09
wow

this Ryanair thing has clearly rattled the markets, Jet2 management and the lets be loyal to Jet2 this isn't fair band, i don't recall to many tears being shed when Jet2 went on KLM AMS route or BMI CDG service, both were full service carriers that gave excellent back up if something went wrong, full interline transfer of bags and everthing else that went with that level of service, up pop Ryanair and theres a riot on Pprune

I can't explain how Ryanair manages to grow its business by 19% in a full blown receesion and remain profitable despite some poor judgement on Aer Lingus shares, they fly brand new aircraft, have non existant customer care and everyone knows they will be trapped at every turn, its like having sex with a hooker with a fantastic body, you know you run the risk of a dose, but you think it wont be you

Jet2 have a good name, but not a patch on what it was before they started turning a profit, sure the luggage thing is a good angle, but a difficult sell non the less, there are some who will never get on a Ryanair plane if they can avoid it, 67million will and i bet a 1million plus will at Leeds next year

Just chil, up your game look after your customers and for Jet2 that means looking after your staff as well, Ryanair staff don't give a toss, why should they the company don't give a toss about them or the customers!!

Rampmole
12th Aug 2009, 21:36
Just spoke to the mother and all was offered was a 7 quid food voucher and was apparantley told the reason was aircraft out of position on the flight. But havin suffered a 5 hr delay myself earlier in the yr due to the spanish air force doing their loop de loops over mjv i suspected that this may have been the reason.

Jet2krazey
12th Aug 2009, 21:56
G-LSAC went tech today on way to RHO, maybe that has something to do with the MJV delay, The aircraft is still in Zargreb where it diverted to! pax were flown on with a sub charter! I know the morning MJV landed back ontime before going out to BCN, hope this helps! :)

LSJET
12th Aug 2009, 23:47
on the jet2 webiste its currently sayin that you cant book flights until 01:30 doees this mean they could e adding destinations

TSR2
12th Aug 2009, 23:49
What does a suffix 'Q' denote on the end of an LS flight number.

harrogate
13th Aug 2009, 02:24

'Quality'.

It's so you can differentiate them from the Ryanair flights, now that the 2 airlines are running some of the same routes.

dwshimoda
13th Aug 2009, 02:38

Nothing sinister. It's to avoid ATC confusion of flights with similar call signs:eg LS123 and LS523 could sound similar, so one will have a "Q" added. Hence you now have LS123 and LS523Q - makes a lot of difference when you are listening out.

DW.

galaxy68
13th Aug 2009, 08:04
I think "Q" is added to a flight number to show an amendment or change to the original flightplan. Usually, its for a change of route or tech stop. However, in this case ATC may have requested a change to the callsign to avoid conflict.

TSR2
13th Aug 2009, 09:03
Nice one 'harrogate' very appropriate.

Thanks 'dwshimoda' and 'galaxy68' for the 'Q' explanations.

Posted by Rampmole
and was apparantley told the reason was aircraft out of position on the flight.

I suspect the explanation given to your mother was not entirely truthful.

The aircraft that operated the delayed 07.40 MAN-MJV route yesterday actually operated the 06.55 service to PMI first. The aircraft returned to MAN at 13.43 then departed to MJV at 15.05.

dwshimoda
13th Aug 2009, 09:59
I think "Q" is added to a flight number to show an amendment or change to the original flightplan. Usually, its for a change of route or tech stop. However, in this case ATC may have requested a change to the callsign to avoid conflict.

Trust me - this is wrong. You will find quite a few of the regular LS schedules have a Q added - nearly always when you have similar call signs going to similar destinations, at the same time - eg Leeds, Manchester & Newcastle flights ont he way to Tenerife within a few minutes of each other.

It has nothing to do with an amended flight plan.

TSR2 - you are welcome.

galaxy68
13th Aug 2009, 10:33
dwshimoda... have you any factual evidence? I actually used to file flight plans, (but procedures may have changed, hence I said "I think"). Just because it happens regularly, only means that the stored flight plan has been amended at some stage.

TSR2
13th Aug 2009, 10:56
The flight that I referred to with the 'Q' suffix is LS831 which is recorded as EXS831Q on a daily basis.

I note there is a departure within 5 mins of this flight with the flight number 381 although a different airline.

Perhaps on this occasion the 'Q' suffix is to minimise confusion with flight numbers.

righthandrule
13th Aug 2009, 11:05
TSR2, spot on. Often the LS343 and LS353 both leave at the same time resulting in a Q following. Purely to avoid confusion.

This morning, due to tech 757 G-LSAC two 733's have done the LBA-PMI this morning, the LS257 and the LS027Q.

dwshimoda
13th Aug 2009, 12:28
dwshimoda... have you any factual evidence? I actually used to file flight plans, (but procedures may have changed, hence I said "I think"). Just because it happens regularly, only means that the stored flight plan has been amended at some stage.

Only in as much as I sit in the pointy end of these 757's - does that qualify me enough to give the correct answer?

DW. :)

muckin fuddle
13th Aug 2009, 15:37
Only in as much as I sit in the pointy end of these 757's - does that qualify me enough to give the correct answer?

DW.

Looks like game, set & match ? ! ! ?

:ok:

EuroChallenger
13th Aug 2009, 16:20
In respect of the potential Jet2 v Ryainair battle, then the winner would be the one who can offer a fare on the first screen of the booking engine that is the price you pay. For example, Leeds - Malaga, £75 including check in, payment fee, suitcases etc. How easy would that be? I have also in the past found fares with BA ex Manchester or Birmingham to be cheaper than any of the low cost carriers and a straight forward fare displayed.

It is increasingly difficult for us to compare fares on a true like for like bases.

I have experience of both airlines and must say that I have never been more than a few minutes late with Jet2, with Ryanair being equally punctual. I have had trouble at EMA though when checking in with a bag that was ever so slightly overweight. I know rules are rules though.

If a battle does ensue at Leeds, then I see the larger operator being the winner. Look at similar cases in the past, with airlines, bus operators, ferry operators and so on.

galaxy68
13th Aug 2009, 16:43
DW, if the addition of Quebec is not as I have suggested, perhaps you could enlighten us all please?

al446
13th Aug 2009, 17:28
DW, if the addition of Quebec is not as I have suggested, perhaps you could enlighten us all please?

From where I am reading, he already has. He posted at 03.08 & 10.59 then backed that up by saying he is an active pilot, as opposed to 'Used to file flight plans'

dwshimoda
13th Aug 2009, 17:48
As Right Hand Rule has backed up, and TSR2 has worked out from his own working out of flights, it is purely to avoid confusion.

We could call them whatever we want to be honest - as you should know if you used to file flight plans. But this both helps ATC, and us who have to listen to all radio traffic, but just respond to individual call sign. I might be wrong, but I believe it was at the suggestion of Jet2.com pilots that "Q" suffix was added.

Ever heard of "the cocktail party effect"? Cocktail Party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect)

If you don't want to believe me, that's absolutely fine! I have no more to say on the matter.

DW.

(edited for my rubbish speeling!)

flybar
13th Aug 2009, 17:58
Dart share price:
28 July - 55.5 pence
29 July - Dart announce profits on Jet2 have tripled
3 August - 68 pence
10 August - 67.5 pence
11 August - Ryanair announce a new base at Leeds
12 August - 55 pence

Went down a bit further but have now started to climb again and up to 56 tonight. Wish these city types would use a bit of common sense at times!!

SCANDIC
13th Aug 2009, 18:25
Has G-LSAD been painted into full jet2 colours yet, if it hasn't been painted could anyone tell me why it hasn't.:ok:

lukeylad
13th Aug 2009, 18:54
SCANDIC

G-LSAD is still in its white livery with red Jet2 writing. Been based at NCL now for the last year! I dont think i could imagine her in normal LS colours now!

Jet2krazey
13th Aug 2009, 20:01
Maybe in the Winter with all the downtime the 757s are gonna have, whilst its in for its cabin refurb, they could get it painted aswell! its due for winglets ive heard too, over the winter so could well see it done then hopefully! :ok:

JetRob
13th Aug 2009, 21:37
I've just recently come back on a Jet 2 from PMI and 40 minutes or so in my flight, the pilot came on and said to us that there is a 'Slight Malfunction', we will be going slower and will arrive 15 minutes later.

Does he have the authority to just blurt this out? I mean even the cabin crew were suprised, shouldn't they be notified first? To tell us.

I was suprised alot. The aircraft was a Boeing 737-300. (The white one, Ex-Bmibaby. G-CGET, for bmibaby G-TOYE).

LPFR
13th Aug 2009, 21:48
I don't think I would like to hear that after 40 min in the air and more 2 hours to go..:ooh:

davidjohnson6
13th Aug 2009, 21:55
Whether the captain tells the cabin crew first or not is not something I wish to go into, but if there was something of this nature - would you be more reassured by the voice of the captain, or one of the cabin crew ?

If there's some minor mechanical fault, I'd rather hear it from someone who knows what the component in question does and understands its relevance to the rest of the aluminium tube and can thus make a good assessment of its importance, as opposed to someone who may never have spent even an hour flying a plane.

Jet2krazey
13th Aug 2009, 22:22
Why couldnt they just say due to ATC changes on the route or headwinds! why alarm pax for no reason! their gonna be sat there for 2hrs thinking what if it gets worse! :eek:

davidjohnson6
13th Aug 2009, 22:26
Why couldnt they just say due to ATC changes on the route or headwinds!Perhaps because the captain knew that blaming ATC or headwinds would be dishonest ? Had the situation turned more serious and warranted landing somewhere in France, anyone performing an investigation as to what had happened would want the captain to explain the nature of the stated ATC issue if there was no evidence of one !

One doesn't always have to say something - but if you do say something, it had better be correct.

danielmellor
13th Aug 2009, 22:39
Would Jet2 Ever Consider Opearting routes to Alicante and Shannon From Belfast?

Ernest Lanc's
14th Aug 2009, 01:25
Does he have the authority to just blurt this out? I mean even the cabin crew were suprised, shouldn't they be notified first? To tell us.

Yes he does: He is the captain. We had to wait at BLK after a report of fumes in the a/c last October, but the decision was to carry on with the same a/c to Malaga - The capain game us a complete explanation as to the smell of fumes in the cabin..
I don't think I would like to hear that after 40 min in the air and more 2 hours to go

With 2 hours to go you can bet your boots that the fault was minor, otherwise the captain would divert the a/c to the nearest airport, he would have no desire to die.

harrogate
14th Aug 2009, 04:45
Yes he does: He is the captain.

Can't believe it took so long for someone to say this.

Who on earth (or air) else has the authority if not the captain?

Rampmole
14th Aug 2009, 06:37
Is there a shortage of aircraft at the moment? Cant see the point in slinging new routes into the mix if you cant deal with what you have already got. Who would decide shall we go to palma or murcia this morning with the one aircraft we have for both dest, and which set of pax shall we totally pi*s off but fob them off with bu**sh*t excuses.

INKJET
14th Aug 2009, 07:04
Sounds like a mach trim fail or some such system which would require a slightly lower max airspeed hence the longer flight time?

You were on the flight and know what was said, but i think the Captain would have been wiser to say nothing, any mention of a failure to pax is ill advised and if all it meant was a longer flight time by 15 mins, that could have been put down to stronger than forecast headwinds or ATC routing, i am all for being honest with pax for the reason behind delays, but this could have been all over the tabloids the next day

Wise words

some mist around at destination = dense fog 50/50 chance of not getting in

some light turbulence over France=makes Pepsi max look tame (BLK)

just getting the Engineers to check a warning light=engine wont start

slight delay on our slot to CDG this morning=it'l be this afternoon when you land

some sleety rain on our arrival into Leeds= SNOCLO

some light turbulence on final approach= CC prepare for a go-around

pleasantly warm in Malaga=39c remote stand no-APU (757)

BFS101
14th Aug 2009, 10:25
Would Jet2 Ever Consider Opearting routes to Alicante and Shannon From Belfast?

Very much doubt it. Jet2 operate a fairly comprehensive program into Murcia during the summer, 6 times a week I think, and with EZY doing Alicante daily, and a TCX weekly, think that would pretty much balance supply and demand.

Jet2 did plan to operate BFS - ORK and had seats on sale, but was pulled before initial flight reportedly due to terrible forward bookings. Think this may scupper any chance of a Jet2 BFS - SNN.

danielmellor
14th Aug 2009, 10:33
Ohh Okay, Could we ever see Jet2 flying Belfast - Manchester?

wowzz
14th Aug 2009, 10:39
On a different Jet2 subject - my daughter and 2 grand-daughters [ages 6 & 8] recently flew ALC-LBA and checked in on-line. My daughter was given a different seat row from her children, and was told at check-in that she would have to pay to sit with them, as per Jet2's policy.
However Jet2 do not allow unaccompanied children to fly. Is it therefore OK for two small children to be seated 30 rows away from their parent? Are Jet 2 breaking their own policy, by allowing unaccompanied children to fly, seperated by the length of the aircraft from their parent.? And how would you feel if you were the person seated next to these two children?

jet2impress
14th Aug 2009, 11:03
Did the system really allocate the children 30 rows away from their mother? I have known if it splitting up families, but never by that amount of rows. The check in agent probably had no seats available at that moment to sit the family together, due to a high level of pre-booked seats already allocated. Where did they end up sitting once on-board the aircraft? As cabin crew, we would not be happy about children of that age being sat 2 rows away from their parents, never mind 30 rows. We would of reseated other passengers before departure to ensure that the children were safely looked after by their mother.

Shed-on-a-Pole
14th Aug 2009, 11:05
Hi danielmellor,

It is unlikely that Jet2 will operate MAN-BFS. Firstly, the route is not vacant - BMI Baby operate it. A second carrier - FlyBe - operates MAN-BHD. So the market appears well served at present, and there is no compelling case for a third carrier to enter the fray. Would it be profitable?

If BMI Baby were to vacate the route as part of the Lufthansa changes (and this is purely hypothetical - there is no reason at present to expect this), then a new carrier *could* consider the route. But even then, would it be Jet2? I would suggest not. Jet2's recent expansion has focused on providing capacity to Mediterranean resorts, left exposed by capacity cuts following the mergers of the 'Big Four' tour operators to become the 'Big Two' and the demise of XL. This strategy has served Jet2 well (supported by Jet2 Holidays) and seems their best way forward for the future. Jet2 has been gradually stepping back from serving short city-to-city routes where the competition is fierce, high load factors are difficult to achieve and profits are elusive.

SHED.

harbour cotter
14th Aug 2009, 12:38
Would Jet2 consider LPL in the future? I appreciate that going head to head with the likes of EZY and RYR is a non-runner, however there is plenty of pent-up demand for the likes of Jet2 holidays, as the charter market at LPL is almost non-existent since Direct Holidays were taken over. It would be unlikely that there would any significant impact upon its MAN operations. Additionally there could be Niche areas, mainly to Greece and Egypt which are not currently served at all, but which have a high pent-up demand from LPL which could also be successful for a carrier such as Jet2.

al446
14th Aug 2009, 13:36
Would Jet2 consider LPL in the future?

Why bother when they already have a base at Blackpool?

harbour cotter
14th Aug 2009, 13:59
al446.

Erm, I'm not sure what you mean. Having a base in Blackpool is neither here or there to the argument as it would have no impact on BLK if Jet2 had a base or just flights from LPL. BLK could still grow with JET2 as there is no local competition. The manchester base may be relevant however, and that is why I was asking. If Jet2 undertook those opportunities from LPL however, I still dont believe that it would have an adverse impact on Jet2 from MAN. Jet2 have a lot of competition from MAN on the holiday front, which they would not do from LPL. There may not even be any need for a base, as 'W' patterns could be a possibility, albeit not a cost-effective one, if they concentrated on the Jet2 Holidays aspect. It could however lead to new opportunities (and profits) for Jet2 who could be under pressure at airports like LBA. Although as I said previously, It would not be a good idea to go head to head with the other locos at LPL.

wowzz
14th Aug 2009, 21:41
Hi Jet2impress - thanks for the speedy reply. The flight was not full, and the very pleasant cc re-united the familly, also helped by co-operative pax. [What would have happened if pax were not so obliging is another thread] However IMHO these seat changes should have been done by check-in staff rather than cc who have better things to do rather than try and re-arrange pax prior to take-off. I am of the opinion that the check-in staff are not allowed any flexibility so as to avoid setting any precedent - and to be fair I can understand this point of view.
However, call me cynical, but unless you have paid to sit together, when you check in on-line, the Jet2 system automatically splits pax into different seat rows [from my albeit limited experience talking to pax at ALC] so as to 'force' pax to pay the extra to sit together. All well and good, as the Jet2 booking page makes clear that you cannot guarantee to be seated together without paying the extra for a 'reserved seat'.
However, I revert to my initial question - why does Jet2 forcibly seperate children from parents, thus breaking its own rules regarding unaccompanied minors?

righthandrule
14th Aug 2009, 23:45
The online check in system doesn't deliberatly allocate seats seperately, it purely fills the aircraft up from the back section (not rows 25/26 on a 733 or 41/42 on a 757 due to these being classes as exit rows) So say all of row 40 was full, all of row 39 was free then they system would allcoate 39ABCDEF to a group of six, however say there were a group of five travelling it would allocate 39ABCDE then the next two would be allocated 39F & 38A. However say the following two rows had already been pre-booked then the system would just move onto the next free seats, thus meaning people can get split up.

There is no trickery behind it, its not a money grabbing exercise as once you have checked in online you cannot pay to move your seats, and we do not charge at the airport to re-seat passengers. There is really no other way of doing it, it really is no diffrent to how we allocate seats at check in, but obviously we use common sense to balance the aircraft and to put children with parents. Most likely the reason why this happened for you, if you book a child as an adult on the booking engine it will not pick up that the child is infact a child. If the child is booked as a child (allocated M-Male, F-Female & C-Child) then the entire group would be allocated seats together as the system recongises this. The vast majority of people do not book children as 'C' they simply put in say 2 adults instead of 1M/F & 1C. This makes it difficult to then allocate seats as from the computers point of view (and check in staff's point of view) this 'adult' is able to be sat away from their parent/sat on an exit row etc) This complicates things when they turn up to check in demanding to be sat together and that Jet2 has deliberatly sepetated a 3 year old child from its mother and going on with the usual ... "you are the worst airline in the world" etc ... But hey its a no win situation for Jet2 or any airline, its a million times easier to apologise and do your best to reseat the passengers instead of explaining that the error was in their hands.

Whats all this about check in staff not letting seats be changed?! You are correct that it is Jet2.com policy to not seat children seperate from adults, and the upmost is done by check in staff to avoid this, and should this occur we will make seat changes to peole who have already checked in and on boarding the aircraft they will be given new boarding passes. People may be unaware of the practices used at check in, but basically we go through flights before hand, any large groups, parents with infants/children and wheelchairs are allcated seats together, followed by groups under the same booking reference and lastly followed by single travelling passengers. So basically on a busy flight the seats are pre allocated to everyone before they turn up to check in as this means that people are guaranteed to be sat together (As far as it is possible) - there are always some cases where is it not possible.

At the end of the day there is always someone complaining at check in that they are not sat together - simple answer to this - pay the measley £3.99 fee to guarantee you are sat together or come to check in as early as possible and we can un-allocate seats and then re-allocate them to accomoate your request.

TSR2
15th Aug 2009, 08:22
A very good informative post.:ok:

dwlpl
15th Aug 2009, 10:50
Would Jet2 consider LPL in the future? I appreciate that going head to head with the likes of EZY and RYR is a non-runner, however there is plenty of pent-up demand for the likes of Jet2 holidays, as the charter market at LPL is almost non-existent since Direct Holidays were taken over. It would be unlikely that there would any significant impact upon its MAN operations. Additionally there could be Niche areas, mainly to Greece and Egypt which are not currently served at all, but which have a high pent-up demand from LPL which could also be successful for a carrier such as Jet2.

This!

Seconded.

wowzz
15th Aug 2009, 12:55
Thanks righthandrule - a very comprehensive reply, and I apologise for wearing my Mr Cynical hat. I certainly did not wish to imply that Jet2 was the worst airline in the world - it is far from that.
The only minor point with which I would take issue, is that the check-in staff at ALC did offer to re-allocate seats, but only if my daughter was prepared to pay to do so, despite having checked in online, whereas your post clearly states that this is not Jet2 policy. However, at the end of the day everyone was seated together, and I for one am now up to speed as to the seat allocation process.

Jet2krazey
15th Aug 2009, 17:19
Unaccompanied minor, means a passenger under the age of 16 travelling on their own! "nobody else with them", not just sat on their own, seperated on the aircraft!
although crew wise, i would never let a young child be seated on their own for the flight, nor would checkin! maybe if 2x adults and 2 children were travelling 1x adult maybe seperated from the rest but usually not too far away! the online system cant differenciate between children and adults, it just fills the seats! ive never seen as yet! anybody onboard split up by lots of rows! just maybe a few seats or the row in front!

your better of checking in as soon as you can! U can Normally do this up to 28 days b4 u travel! and at a time you wont see others checking in online, as there will be more choice of seats, as alot of people checkin just b4 they travel.

Plenty of times ive flown with charter airlines and been split up from my partner or friends! And thats the check in staff that can see what seats are available! sometimes im sure they do it just to annoy pax!

The crew will always try to help onboard! passengers ask all the time! and if i have spare seats i will! but if full! i only make sure parents are not seperated from young children!:ok: GDF as always!

BKS Air Transport
15th Aug 2009, 18:04
Just a minor point, but I would argue that you are not better off checking in 28 days in advance. As soon as you have checked in you cannot amend your booking, so if for any reason you need to make a change, say due to last minute illness, you will lose your money and have to re-book from scratch. I know, I've done it!

TSR2
15th Aug 2009, 20:14
do this up to 28 days b4 u travel! and at a time you wont see others checking in online, as there will be more choice of seats

Are you saying that if you opt to check-in online at the time of booking and don't pre-purchase a specific seat, that you can still select seats (for free) when you check-in online.

Ernest Lanc's
15th Aug 2009, 21:56
I would argue that you are not better off checking in 28 days in advance.[...] As soon as you have checked in you cannot amend your booking, so if for any reason you need to make a change, say due to last minute illness,[...] you will lose your money and have to re-book from scratch. I know, I've done it!

Does not aways work like that BKS. True once you have checked in online, you can't amend your booking.

But surely in the case of illness , or other valid reason, you would have taken out travel insurance to cover cancellation.

Also if you booked early the chances are that amending a booking within 28 days will be to costly to worth doing.

So so long as you are insured, best think is to cancel and claim of insurance, and no claims lost years after will not be as much as changing a flight at the last minute in many cases.

There is a change fee of £27-50 each way,(correct when is did it) plus any difference between the price you paid, and the current price.

So imagine what that could cost with group/family of 4.

8X27.50 (Both ways) + say 4 times difference at say £50 each way = £400, and that is considerable.

I used to think a little like you, until I got stung changing a name.

righthandrule
16th Aug 2009, 00:32
Are you saying that if you opt to check-in online at the time of booking and don't pre-purchase a specific seat, that you can still select seats (for free) when you check-in online.

I think Jet2Krazey was meaning that less seats would be pre booked which is true meaning more choice for the system to allocate you seats together. You wouldn't believe the way the seating plans look for each flight before check in opens, a lot of people pre book individual seats and if they have pre booked seats in the back section this is another thing that causes online check in passengers to be seperated.

ive never seen as yet! anybody onboard split up by lots of rows! just maybe a few seats or the row in front!

Quite right, the online check in system works from the back forwards, the most I have seen is a family seperated by 7 rows, but for some reason they chose to check in at different times, resulting in 4 people been spread out over 7 rows. Usually its just the row infront/behind. And has you say, no check in staff would ever let a minor be seperated, and neither would the crew, certainly at check in we always will move other passengers (who often get very annoyed!!) to accomodate families.

SWBKCB
16th Aug 2009, 07:28
Perhaps the Lo-co's are missing a trick - pay extra or you have to sit with your kids....:E

Also, why does the automated system fill up from the back - don't most pax want to sit at the front (or is that the point, you'll be in the back unless you pre-book a seat?) or is there another reason?

chrism20
16th Aug 2009, 08:01
Also, why does the automated system fill up from the back

Doesnt Jet2 have some aircraft configured similarly to Monarch where there is a few rows of extra legroom seats at the front which are chargeable? Which would explain back to front loading.

apaul
16th Aug 2009, 08:40
It's still a mad system that gives the worst seats to those that check-in online earliest. When Easyjet first introduced online check-in you got allocated boarding class C whereas you could get class A or B by checking-in at the airport. Not surprisingly they changed it after a while.

commit aviation
16th Aug 2009, 10:14
It's all about weight & balance. You need to distribute the weight (i.e. the Self Loading Freight & bags!) evenly through the aircraft.
As stated, most people given a choice will choose to be near the front, so those who don't choose tend to end up towards the back to counterbalance those who choose to sit at the front.
Obviously bags (J2 load the rear holds first) have an impact & enable a larger % of passengers who want to sit towards the front to be accommodated.
The 733 isn't a bad piece of kit trim wise - the QCs are naturally a little more nose heavy - well 1 ton plus of cargo door would have an impact!!

EGBKFLYER
16th Aug 2009, 14:06
Aiming to have the aircraft slightly tail-heavy also has a positive impact on fuel consumption, so J2 can pass on all those lovely savings to our fabulous customers :ok:

757 Speedbrakes
16th Aug 2009, 14:31
...............and their staff :zzz:

simufly
16th Aug 2009, 14:40
Well some staff anyway.........................

transwede
16th Aug 2009, 16:52
With FR entering the LBA marketplace in a larger capacity, will LS refocus its operations on one of their other larger stations, such as NCL or MAN? Are there any under served routes left for them at MAN, or is there scope for expansion? Does NCL hold any major expansion possibilities for LS?

757 Speedbrakes
16th Aug 2009, 17:09
Apprently Transwede, an off the cuff remark was made by PM that plans would go ahead for expansion at NCL.

Latest rumor is now 2 75's for S10 with 5 new routes...................

dwlpl
16th Aug 2009, 20:42
With FR entering the LBA marketplace in a larger capacity, will LS refocus its operations on one of their other larger stations, such as NCL or MAN? Are there any under served routes left for them at MAN, or is there scope for expansion? Does NCL hold any major expansion possibilities for LS?

Jet2 could switch its attention and open another base.

TSR2
16th Aug 2009, 21:24
Personally I don't think FR will have a major impact on LS at LBA, at least I hope not.

FR will attract the short break passenger type who can take advantage of their low fares by travelling with hand baggage only.

LS on the other hand should retain the majority of existing customers and indeed attract new custom with the introduction of new routes, specifically those who must take hold baggage which I would imagine is the vast majority of holiday passengers.
LS are spot on with their current advertising campaign regarding cost of hold baggage.

wowzz
16th Aug 2009, 21:48
Can I just say, that despite my previous posts regarding seat allocation on Jet2 , I would NEVER let any of my relatives fly Ryanair [yes I've
said it] regardless of cost, compared to Jet2 - or indeed any other carrier.
{and before any Ryanair lackey comes on to take issue with my comments, the last time I flew Ryanair, they brought forward the time of my flight with no notice, causing me and Mrs Wowzz to miss our flight, and at check-in the Ryanair clerk, when she could be bothered to speak, swore blind that they had e-mailed me to let me know of the change in departure time - some 18 months later I am still waiting for the e-mail to arrive!}
Jet2 may not be that cheap, but at least they do provide a full and professional service, as evidenced by their response on this forum. I, for one, hope that Ryanair fail dismally in their attempt to develop LBA - but in my heart of hearts believe that this is unlikely.

TSR2
16th Aug 2009, 21:57
Well the message is loud and clear to the good people of Yorkshire.

Jet2 IS YOUR AIRLINE - USE IT OR LOSE IT.

wowzz
16th Aug 2009, 22:02
Blimey - how much do Jet2 pay you to monitor these messages on a Sunday night??
At least I can declare no interest other than a glass or 3 of Rioja

TSR2
16th Aug 2009, 22:25
WOWZZ

I have no connection with Jet2 whatsoever, in fact although I have used them from Manchester on several occasions, they are not my airline of choice.

I do however acknowledge the benefits that Jet2 have brought for millions of passengers by providing good affordable air services from their local airport.

Ernest Lanc's
16th Aug 2009, 23:02
I do however acknowledge the benefits that Jet2 have brought for millions of passengers by providing good affordable air services from their local airport.

Exactly I have flown with Jet2 hassle free for some 1o times since 2006. They may not be the cheapest airline to use, but are easier to use than say Easyjet.

I have read some earlier posts on one line check in and seats:-

It's still a mad system that gives the worst seats to those that check-in online earliest.

If you buy a seat like I do you don't get this problem. I doubt very much is any case that you would get a bad seat for checking in earlier, that does not make any sense.

harrogate
17th Aug 2009, 00:34
I'll say it again, because some of the gossip in here defies logic...

Why would Jet2 run from LBA - their main base - and focus their efforts elsewhere? FR has 34 bases and that figure will grow. If Jet2 focus their efforts elsewhere, Ryanair will just go there in bigger numbers too.

Jet2 will fight Ryanair hand-to-hand at Leeds, some things will change, routes will be cut and both airlines will bend and wriggle etc etc, but ultimately they will just co-exist.

If Jet2 don't have an appetite for fighting Ryanair in their established stronghold, then they can't hope to compete with the likes of Ryanair or others elsewhere. It's this reason why Jet2 aren't about to crumble and retreat from running services out of LBA. Yes, they may strengthen their offering from elsewhere, but they know full well that Ryanair are omni-present wherever they go in the UK, so the two airlines just have to fight it out and carve their own markets, which will probably see Jet2 expanding further into holidays and charters while maintaining a strong lo-co offering too.

The two airlines will simply have a hostile-ish co-existence at LBA. That's for sure.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
17th Aug 2009, 10:12
Seems to me that if the number of Jet2 bedwetters on here is mirrored in the travelling public as a whole they'll be all right. Plenty of the "more money than sense" brigade even with the financial situation as it is. But I suspect that market forces will prevail, and the Ryanair tidal wave will be hard for them turn back. Either way consumers at LBA will benefit, as long as the competition is there.

Ernest Lanc's
17th Aug 2009, 12:21
Frankfurt_Cowboy.

And when Ryanair have cornered the market and have a monopoly. Given their track record of high hidden charges, then won't they become another BA?.

Best bring back Canute to try and sort FR out before it's to late:}.

al446
17th Aug 2009, 12:52
Frankfurt_Cowboy. - I fail to see the logic in your 'more money than sense' comment. Having flown with most of the UK locos I have found RYR to be no cheaper and, in many cases, more expensive when all factors are taken into account. We very rarely travel with less than 15kg baggage so cost is up, I pay with card, more expensive, if I lose my pre printed boarding card or printer decides to run out of ink, more cash please. This is before you start hitting problems such as cancellation, service - £1 a minute please.
If you want to go to AMS for a couple of nights with hand luggage only, fair enough, but dont think of bringing back any bottles of alcohol that are not available here.
I would never use them again.

scrapy
17th Aug 2009, 14:10
Are Jet2 planning to put 'Bye Bye Ryanair' on a Manchester based aircraft?

flybymike
17th Aug 2009, 16:43
Good one.. ;)

EuroChallenger
17th Aug 2009, 17:15
Given that Ryanair has pulled out of Manchester, then presumably Jet2 could possibly strengthen their position there.

Rob1975
17th Aug 2009, 17:21
EC - looks like they just announced they have!

Crain's Manchester Business - Manchester news (http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk/)

EuroChallenger
17th Aug 2009, 17:46
Yes, Kos, Venice and Gran Canaria. No doubt a few extras will roll up at Blackpool too.

LPFR
17th Aug 2009, 18:12
Nice move from Jet2! Would be really funny a "Bye Bye Ryanair" logo.

Mr.Brown
18th Aug 2009, 22:01
Are Jet2 planning to put 'Bye Bye Ryanair' on a Manchester based aircraft?

Very original that!!!!! It would fit great beside the "Freindly Low fares".:ugh:

Whitehatter
19th Aug 2009, 13:40
On service delivery alone I can't see LS having the death blow struck at them from the new Ryanair base. They have an established catchment at Leeds who may not particularly like the Ryanair way of doing things, as well as a good chunk of seats being sold by Jet2holidays. Someone mentioned to me the other day that LS are seeing the holiday business contributing 30% or greater in seat counts to each flight.

If there is to be a scrap at LBA then Jet2 might not be the underdog some think they are. Being established and having multiple sources for filling the seats up are heavily in their favour.

Jet2krazey
19th Aug 2009, 14:50
They also have contracts with TCX and TUI, which help to fill seats on flights!

airbourne
19th Aug 2009, 22:34
Couple of question for the serious Jet2 people here. Average fleet age? Average number of tech a/c per week? The what is the average FR tech rate per week? Is there much of a difference? Condition of the Jet2 a/c? Are they that shabby?

Finally, does the average pax notice a shiny new 738 over a 733?

theloudone
20th Aug 2009, 15:03
Airbourne, good questions, having only just joined pprune, i usually comment on the engineering sister site
Having worked for both airlines, i know where i would stand, and its not in the Red & grey uniform !
With an ageing fleet(20 + years) and a/c with a lot of skin repairs and a high number going tech, the average punter is starting to take note.

TSR2
20th Aug 2009, 15:47
Yes, interesting questions.

It should go without saying that the average punter takes for granted that the airline they are to travel with actually operate aircraft that conforms in all respects with current safety regulations and I am sure you are not insinuating that Jet2 is less safe than Ryanair (or vice-versa) irrespective of the age or visual condition of the aircraft. Personally, I am not so sure that the age of the aircraft significantly impacts reliability either.

I would think that the average punter is more likely to remember a lack of seat reclining, seat back pockets and window blinds, and the orderly manner of boarding, than anything associated with the age of the aircraft.

theloudone
20th Aug 2009, 18:08
TSR2
It would not be very professional of me to even hint at such a thing, in fact, your points are very valid ones.
As i currently work in airworthiness, i have a good window into aircraft reliability, and even though, like you say, the age doesn`t really make a difference, i tend to disagree on that one.
Older ones require more maintaining, the wear frequnecy is higher etc etc, i could go on all night !
The impact of aircraft going tec a lot, will, i feel, have an overall impact with the customer, they will remember the delays and hold ups, i am sure we have all been subjected to that ? !
I feel there is room at Leeds for both operators to compete fairly, without the need for either one to start the dirty advertising campaign which we are already seeing !
If commercial pressure becomes to much, other more important areas, may, get ignored !

david1994
20th Aug 2009, 21:48
Cn anybody confirm if Jet2 will use a B757-200 on the BFS-TFS SERVICE which begins on 26 October 2009.

David ,

airbourne
20th Aug 2009, 23:03
The hold up and the delays. I use LBA a lot and the return flight to DUB at 2230 has NEVER left on time. Its the last sector of 6 in that rotation so there is going to be delays. Anyone who takes that flight will know what I mean.

My interest over Jet2 is one that I hope they dont lose the battle to FR when they enter LBA more. What is the interior of a 733 like? are any of those a/c QC's? Is it down to the product, service and price.....or just price?

FR might have nearly 200 shiny BOEING 737-800 NEXT GENERATION AIRCRAFT (does the average punter even know what that is) but who remembers 21 shabby, dirty, loud 737-200's? Incidentally, what was the tech rate for the 200's?

Is the battle between Jet2 and FR going to come down to price only?

Ernest Lanc's
20th Aug 2009, 23:33
FR might have nearly 200 shiny BOEING 737-800 NEXT GENERATION AIRCRAFT (does the average punter even know what that is)

I for one am not bothered about the 737-800 that FR operate, I never used them at BLK, and never will.

I would rather travel in a 737-300 say than an Airbus 320, most people might think me a loon for saying than, but I prefer the 737 having used the A320 with Monarch.

The interior is fine, Leather and comfy with jet2, use them 3 times a year.

Is the battle between Jet2 and FR going to come down to price only?

I doubt it: I would pay extra to use Jet2, and I suspect some other would also, but there will always be bargain hunters.

TSR2
20th Aug 2009, 23:43
The first available date for the Belfast to Tenerife flight is 30th October and the aircraft is shown as a B737-300.

TSR2
20th Aug 2009, 23:50
Originally posted by Ernest Lancs
I would rather travel in a 737-300 say than an Airbus 320, most people might think me a loon for saying than, but I prefer the 737 having used the A320 with Monarch.

Come on Ernest there is just no comparison. You obviously just have a grudge against Monarch for having the audacity to pull out of Blackpool.

IB4138
21st Aug 2009, 07:03
I have to agree with Ernest in prefering to fly on any Jet2 aircraft to any Monarch, cram as many in as we can if they won't pay for extra leg room, aircraft. He's not the only one who does not like the Monarch Scheduled offering, these days.

thewhitestag
27th Aug 2009, 02:06
We were scheduled to fly from MAN to ALC on 12 August 2009, however the service was cancelled and we were bussed to LBA and the flight left from there. We eventually arrived about two and a half hours later which meant we missed an onwards connection. As a result, I'm trying to claim from the travel insurance now as we have a policy that covers missed connections.

I am however interested in the reason for the cancellation if anyone is privvy to this information. We were told at MAN that the plane tasked with our flight was delayed in AGP, however according to the flight stats on that day, whilst the AGP-MAN flight was delayed by 256 minutes, it wasn't due to depart until AFTER our MAN-ALC flight.

It seems that there were several delays with Jet2 757s operating at MAN that day. Looking at the timetable, it would appear that the MAN-ALC rotation follows on from the MAN-PMI service on same aircraft. I read that the MAN-PMI flight ended up using the aircraft scheduled for MAN-MJV and that service followed upon return of the inbound PMI-MAN. If that is the case, what happened to the aircraft that was initially scheduled to operate MAN-PMI in the first place? Surely that would have been parked overnight? Did it go tech?

It's driving me mad as I can't fathom it out; especially as I can smell a rat with the AGP delay story, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Musket90
27th Aug 2009, 07:37
thewhitestag: Don't know specific reason for your LBA transfer but the MAN-MJV flight went 7hrs late and the MAN-AGP 5hrs late. As you say the AGP-MAN inbound was nearly a day late. Clearly there were aircraft shortages that day presumably due technical problems which required changes to minimise delays. Your ALC flight delay was considerably less than the MAN-MJV/AGP departure delays so it could have been a lot worse had you not transferred to LBA.

HXdave
27th Aug 2009, 08:27
IIRC, doesn't MJV only open to civilian traffic at certain times of the day, and therefore if the Jet2 aircraft misses this slot then that is where the problems start. not sure if this is the reasons for all the delays, as i also believe that if it miss's the time slot it diverts to ALC and coach transfers, but maybe worth a thought.

bobleeds
27th Aug 2009, 13:34
Whitestag, Sorry you had a problem with your travel, and I can't help you with a reason for the delays, but your post has made me curious as to why you would use Alicante to make a flight connection.

Was your destination airport not available direct from the UK?

TartinTon
27th Aug 2009, 14:22
MJV is open during the mornings midweek for the period mid-Jul until the first week of Sep and then the window shuts again and it's only open during the mornings on a Sat and Sun.

thewhitestag
27th Aug 2009, 15:23
bobleeds: We were starting a business class ticket from ALC onwards to Asia. Not only was the ticket cheaper to start exALC, it also avoided the higher UK taxes.

757flyer
28th Aug 2009, 09:30
Jet2.com Arrives at East Midlands Airport Creating Seven New Routes...and 250 New Jobs
Friendly low fares airline Jet2.com launches new base at East Midlands Airport

Today (28th August 2009) Jet2.com the low fares airline, announced a substantial investment for the Midlands, with the launch of a brand new base at East Midlands Airport, creating over 130,000 seats, seven new direct seat-only destinations and 250 new jobs for the region.

The airline will offer low fare seat-only destinations from East Midlands Airport to Lanzarote, Corfu, Dalaman, Heraklion, Paphos, Tenerife and Sharm El Sheikh which are available to book today for departures from May 2010, with incredible starting fares from £59.99 one way including taxes. It will also be possible to book package tours through Jet2holidays.com to these destinations from £269 per person for seven nights.

In addition, the new routes will bring over 250 new jobs into the area within Jet2.com, the airport and supporting industries, as well as bolstering the tourism industry and region as a whole.

Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director at Jet2.com said, “At a time when many competitors are cutting services and closing bases, we are increasing ours with our ambitious expansion into the Midlands which will be our seventh base to date within the UK. We see the region as having huge growth potential for our leisure business and the exceptional transport links to the airport allows us to extend Jet2.com’s catchment area further into Derby, Leicester, Nottingham, Sheffield and surrounding areas.

“We are bringing with us our winning formula, offering people what they want; great holiday destinations, low fares, sociable flight times and a friendly service. It is fantastic that we can now offer flights from the Midlands and we are confident that our close relationship with the airport will see our presence grow further.

“I hope that leisure travellers and overseas property owners alike will be delighted with the news that they can travel direct to popular destinations on a budget, and we urge them to book now for our lowest fares at Jet2.com. We look forward to welcoming them onboard soon.”

Seven new routes and starting fares from East Midlands Airport for summer 2010 are:
·Lanzarote, Arrecife from £59.99 one way including taxes, departing 20th May 2010
·Turkey, Dalaman from £69.99 one way including taxes, departing 21st May 2010
·Corfu from £59.99 one way including taxes, departing 24th May 2010
·Greece, Heraklion from £69.99 one way including taxes, departing 25th May 2010
·Cyprus, Paphos from £69.99 one way including taxes, departing 19th May 2010
·Tenerife from £59.99 one way including taxes, departing 21st May 2010
·Egypt, Sharm El Sheikh from £79.99 one way including taxes, departing 22nd May 2010
Penny Coates, Chief Executive at East Midlands Airport said, “The news that Jet2.com will open a brand new operation from East Midlands Airport next year is extremely encouraging for the airport and the region as a whole. This news is a positive indicator for the future and puts East Midlands Airport in a strong position as we continue to extend and develop our route network.”

Interviews with Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director of Jet2.com and Penny Coates, Managing Director of East Midlands Airport will be available from 9am until 12.30pm. Please contact the Jet2.com press office on 0113 243 1355 or the East Midlands Airport press office on 0845 1088542 to arrange a time slot or for more information.

spider_man
28th Aug 2009, 09:54
More 757s..

dwlpl
28th Aug 2009, 09:55
Any other bases? ;)

david1994
28th Aug 2009, 10:38
I wonder if Jet2 will ever start up a DALAMAN from Belfast asits bound to be more of a load factor than a TFS route for one reason the EURO in span is not very good. At least if they did it next summer they could be in comp with THOMAS COOK , THOMSON and ONUR AIR and a route to Dalaman always has a load factor of 90% when I was on an ONUR AIR and THOMAS COOK flight the flight was fully booked.

BFS101
28th Aug 2009, 11:11
And a direct Sharm El Sheikh from Belfast over the summer months. Jet2 to operate the flight, jet2 holidays helping fill capacity and even 3rd party tour operators taking allocation, saving their own metal for other routes.

Can anyone confirm Toulouse, Pisa and Dubrovnik from Belfast for summer 2010??

BAladdy
28th Aug 2009, 12:29
LS added 5 new summer routes this year from EDI to IBZ, MJV, MAH, VCE and OLB as well as a year round route to DUS. They joined the existing year round route to PRG as well as summer only flights to AVN, LRH, TLS and PSA.

In recent months LS have decided that they will drop DUS from 6th Sept. Which alot of people have put due to competiton from FR who operate daily from EDI to near by NRN.

Does anyone know if LS have plans to expand their summer flying program from EDI in 2010?? or with FR expanding quickly from EDI are they more likely to scale back their flights from EDI??.

Personally I believe their is a market for longer range flights from EDI to the likes of DLM, HER, RHO and KGS would all do well with a once or twice weekly frequency.

GoEDI
28th Aug 2009, 14:01
I guess all will be revealed soon, but DUS has never done well so not surprised to see that dropped. Also the French regional routes seem to have been a bit quieter this year compared to last for some reason. The rest all have done well so I'd certainly expect to see them back, especially MJV, PSA, IBZ and VCE, and maybe they'll have something else up their sleeve.

OliWW
28th Aug 2009, 15:48
So are Jet2 looking for more B752's?? as they will be basing 1 at EMA in May 10 and a possible second in October??

globetrotter79
28th Aug 2009, 15:59
I'd expect that there will simply be a reshuffling of the fleet. My guess is one of the LBA B757s will be downgraded to a B737 (whatever happens it is fairly certain that their loads on LBA-Spain routes will go down once Ryanair start) and that B757 will shift to EMA. I'd also be extremely surprised if there is any fleet growth at EMA in October 2010!!

On a general fleet note, if a 757 is displaced from LBA and possibly replaced by a B733...in addition to the extra B733 that has already been announced for MAN in Summer 2010 and the rumoured additional unit at BLK..then I guess it is a fair assumption that they'll be out in the market looking for additional B737 hulls.

OliWW
28th Aug 2009, 16:56
In the press release on the East Midlands Today (Local News) Jet2 said that they would be looking for 1 to 3 aircraft within the next year, so im thinking that another aircraft will be necessary in October if this statement were true?

Im pretty sure that for the Winter of 2010 that SSH will go from weekly to twice weekly, if not three times weekly, as it will defently be popular the same for the Canaries.

racedo
28th Aug 2009, 19:01
Interesting speculation regarding Jet2 buying Bmibaby.

Ernest Lanc's
28th Aug 2009, 21:32
that has already been announced for MAN in Summer 2010 and the rumoured additional unit at BLK..then I guess it is a fair assumption that they'll be out in the market looking for additional B737 hulls
I seem to remember that the extra a/c for BLK was more than a rumour, at the time it seemed more like a commitment. Seems to me there won't be enough a/c reading this part of the thread for 2010.

HH6702
29th Aug 2009, 11:40
looking at the timetable of flights on sale it looks like ncl is needing 6 based aircraft.

anybody have anymore info about the plans at ncl?

this summer we have 3 aircraft so thats an extra 3 aircraft for next summer

Seljuk22
29th Aug 2009, 11:59
Just for interest:

12 a/c at LBA
6 (7 next summer) at MAN
4 at BFS
3 (6 next summer) at NCL
3 at EDI
2 (maybe 3 next summer) at BLK
+ EMA new base with 1 B757 starting next May

Right?

david1994
29th Aug 2009, 12:31
Just for interest:

12 a/c at LBA
6 (7 next summer) at MAN
4 at BFS
3 (6 next summer) at NCL
3 at EDI
2 (maybe 3 next summer) at BLK
+ EMA new base with 1 B757 starting next May

Right?

BFS only has 2 based B733 ,

757 Speedbrakes
29th Aug 2009, 14:37
3 (6 next summer) at NCL

Pretty sure that will only be for 4 next summer..................

2 x 733 2 x 752

Going loco
29th Aug 2009, 16:11
Yes, 2 x 737 and 2 x 757 for NCL, 7 days a week.

Jamesair
29th Aug 2009, 17:19
That sounds about right. I've identified a gap for 5 more rotations using the proposed 4 a/c. This would be in line with the further announcement expected soon for more routes from N/c. I have not taken any night rotations (if any) into account. I know that this could only involve the 2 x 757 a/c as the 737's are doing night mail flights.

OliWW
29th Aug 2009, 17:39
Ive been looking at the timetable in detail, and this is the conclusion I have come to from the flights available at the moment

NCL
2x B733 and 2x B752 (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri)
3x B733 and 2x B752 (Thu, Sat, Sun)

LBA is looking like
9x B733 and 4x B752 (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)
9x B733 and 3x B752 (Sat, Sun)

MAN is looking like
3x B733 and 4x B752 (All Week)
(however some of the B733 only operate 1 flight at the moment)

EDI isn't showing any flights for S10 at the moment...
(is likely to be 3x B733)

BFS is looking like
2x B733
(some flights still not available, no flights currently on Wednesday with a based aircraft)

BLK is looking like
2x B733

EMA is
1x B752

From this data, no more B733's are needed from the timetables currently published by Jet2 on their website excluding G-CELW which is freight only.

All of the B757's are in use, but 2 more are needed for the schedule, extra for Newcastle and East Midlands

HH6702
29th Aug 2009, 19:00
This is what ive worked out for august 2010 at ncl it seems we need 6 aircraft unless i have miss read something????

JET2.COM summer 2010

Aircraft 1 B757
1 . . . . . . LS526/7 CORFU 15.05 22.05
. 2 . . . . . LS756/7 HER 10.30 20.15
. . 3 . . . . LS515/6 PAPHOS 10.30 21.25
. . . 4 . . . LS545/6 ACE 10.30 1.25
??
??
. . . . . . 7 LS515/6 PAPHOS 15.05 2.00

Aircraft 2 B757
1 . . . . . . LS561/2 DLM 10.30 20.35
. 2 . . . . . LS517/8 TFS 9.45 20.25
. . 3 . . . . LS581/2 RHO 9.40 19.40
. . . 4 . . . LS505/6 SSH 10.30 22.35
. . . . 5 . . LS561/2 DLM 10.30 20.35
. . . . . 6 . LS541/2 LPA 16.05 2.25
. . . . . . 7 LS545/6 ACE 16.05 2.25

Aircraft 3 B733
1 . 3 . . 67 LS557/8 AGP 8.00 15.05
. . . . 5 . . LS555/6 IBZ 9.00 15.20
. . . . 5 . . LS535/6 CORK 16.00 19.00
. . . . . 6 . LS547/8 PISA 8.30 14.35
. . . . . 6 . LS373/4 MAHON 15.05 21.25
. . . . . . 7 LS535/6 CORK 17.05 20.05

Aircraft 4 B733
1234567 LS531/2 PMI 7.25 14.05
. . . . . 6 . SPLIT 15.45 23.00
. . . . . . 7 LS555/6 IBZ 15.45 22.15

Aircraft 5 ??
12345 . . LS523/4 MJV 11.00 17.05
. . . . . 67 LS523/4 MJV 8.10 15.05

Aircraft 6 ??
. . 3 . . . . LS416/7 KGS 8.30 17.30
. . . . . 67 LS517/8 TFS 15.05 1.45

OliWW
29th Aug 2009, 19:31
Monday
07:25 - 14:05 PMI
08:00 - 15:05 AGP
10:30 - 20:35 DLM
11:00 - 17:35 MJV
15:05 - 22:55 CFU

Tuesday
09:45 - 20:25 TFS
10:30 - 20:15 HER

Wednesday
09:40 - 19:40 RHO
10:30 - 21:25 PFO

Thursday
08:00 - 15:05 AGP
10:15 - 22:35 SSH
10:30 - 20:50 ACE

Friday
08:50 - 15:20 IBZ
10:30 - 20:35 DLM
15:05 - 01:45 TFS
16:00 - 19:00 ORK

Saturday
08:10 - 15:05 MJV
08:30 - 14:35 PSA
15:05 - 01:45 TFS
15:15 - 21:30 MAH
15:40 - 22:45 AGP
15:45 - 23:00 SPU
16:05 - 01:25 LPA

Sunday
08:10 - 15:05 MJV
15:05 - 02:00 PFO
15:40 - 22:45 AGP
16:05 - 02:25 ACE
17:05 - 20:05 ORK

Kos isnt currently on the timetable and isnt bookable TFS works of the PMI on the Sat and Sun, so I still dont see where the 6th aircraft comes from, at the current time, if im wrong about the PMI aircraft operating TFS and if they do release Kos and a few more destinations then yes a 6th aircraft will be needed as it is a tight schedule

HH6702
29th Aug 2009, 19:58
KGS is on sale with tour operator goldtrail holidays??
KGS will be one of the new routes to be annouced in the next few weeks

Ernest Lanc's
29th Aug 2009, 20:16
BLK is looking like
2x B733

If you are basing this on current routes, the third 733 to be based at BLK was for new routes in the East Med I understood. Jet2 said it was their intention to expand at BLK - We'll see.

Going loco
29th Aug 2009, 20:33
It's a good job you two aren't in fleet planning otherwise we'd be bust.

Sat at NCL for example...

7571 S1 PMI S2 TFS
7572 S1 MJV S2 LPA
7371 S1 AGP S2 SPU
7372 S1 PSA S2 MAH

How do you get that into a requirement for 5 or 6 machines?

HH6702
29th Aug 2009, 20:54
Going loco

Have a look at the other days then and see what u get?
Are u looking at august ?

OliWW
29th Aug 2009, 21:18
Aircraft 1) 07:25 - 14:05 PMI > 15:05 - 01:45 TFS
Aircraft 2) 08:10 - 15:05 MJV > 16:05 - 01:25 LPA
Aircraft 3) 08:30 - 14:35 PSA > 15:15 - 21:30 MAH
Aircraft 4) 15:40 - 22:45 AGP
Aircraft 5) 15:45 - 23:00 SPU

I am showing what the timetable is showing, I totally agree with you that AGP could then go and operate SPU after, but thats what the timetable says for June - September 2010

Going loco
29th Aug 2009, 21:28
HH - you get 2 x 757 and 2 x 737 because that's the plan. The timetable is up to date to the best of my knowledge, so you are doing something wrong somewhere.

Oli - NCL-AGP departs at 08:00 and returns in time to do the Split. The Malaga is retimed to a 15:40 departure once Split finishes in mid-September.

HH6702
29th Aug 2009, 21:28
Agree its what the timetable is showning for the peak season july-sept

so agreeing now that NCL is needing 5 aircraft with gaps for more routes to be added???

goldtrail holidays are showning kgs on a wednesday using jet2 aircraft.
if this route operates and it is a IF at the minute than a 6 aircraft will be needed..

Im guessing that we will be needing 6
routes to be added that we have heard are

KGS, VCE, MIR, YYZ and maybe EWR?

airhumberside
29th Aug 2009, 22:24
Ive been going through the timetable and can only find work for four aircraft as Going loco said

Only obvious gaps I can find are on Monday-Thursday afternoons, and on Sundays where one aircraft only appears to do Cork. Though with retimings, additional flights could be added to the schedule at other times

The Kos is a bit of a mystery, but maybe its an error on the Goldtrail website, or maybe the plans have changed. Could a B737 make it to Kos since one will be free on a Wednesday from 1405 after getting back from Palma?

Jamesair
29th Aug 2009, 22:41
Where OLIWW is going wrong on Thurs is that the ACE flight changes from 1030 to 1505 - 0125 (Fri) in the peak period and on Sat. the AGP flight is not 1540 but 0800 -1200 in the peak period.

Doing the calculations by timings this needs 4 aircraft with 5 spare full rotation slots.

Mon... 1605 -
Tues.. 1505 -
Wed.. 1505 -
Thurs. 1605 -
Sun... AM - 1605

My calculation seems to fit in with Air Humberside

simufly
30th Aug 2009, 06:23
Anoraks all round then!

mathers_wales_uk
30th Aug 2009, 08:55
Could it be that Jet 2 are chartering the flight for Goldtrail hence the reason why it isn't on the Jet2 website. The other option that it has yet to be released.

OliWW
30th Aug 2009, 10:11
Yes I noticed the time changes, but showed the flights to how many they were, ACE changed for a couple of weeks, but was at one time for longer so showed that, but yes from that I can now see that it will be 2x B733 and 2x B752, as AGP would go onto Split, would be stupid if it didn't :ok:

theloudone
2nd Sep 2009, 11:38
Happen to stick my head round the hanger door the other week, i see Jet2 are doing undercarriage changes, didnt know they had the approvals to do them !
Does anyone know if they do ? :confused: i am sure they must.

toledoashley
3rd Sep 2009, 05:53
TTG are reporting this, looks like Doncaster as a base?

Expanding Jet2 plans ninth UK base

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Chris Gray

Jet2.com is planning to set up in a ninth UK base following its move into East Midlands airport and expansion at Newcastle and Manchester airports.

Managing director Ian Doubtfire said Jet2 would be setting up another UK base next year. He would not divulge where, but ruled out airports in the south of England.

The no-frills airline is stationing a Boeing 757 at East Midlands from May next year to operate flights to Lanzarote, Tenerife, Dalaman, Corfu, Heraklion, Paphos and Sharm el Sheikh.

The move into East Midlands was revealed last week following announcements of five new routes at Newcastle and three at Manchester – following Ryanair’s announcement that it was setting up a base at Jet2’s headquarters in Leeds.

Jet2 has been known as a northern airline, with a heartland around its bases in Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester, and East Midlands is its first venture south of Yorkshire.

Doubtfire said it was a natural progression as the Jet2 brand was known in cities such as Sheffield in the northern part of East Midlands’ catchment area.

Doubtfire said a second aircraft could be placed at East Midlands within three years if demand took off as expected. Placing the initial aircraft there will create 250 jobs.

East Midlands chief executive Penny Coates said Jet2’s routes would fill in gaps in the airport’s portfolio because research showed the routes would meet demand from local customers who were currently travelling outside the area to other airports farther away.

take-off
3rd Sep 2009, 07:11
'Managing director Ian Doubtfire said Jet2 would be setting up another UK base next year. He would not divulge where, but ruled out airports in the south of England.'

How about a move into Wales? Thats not the south of England! Cardiff thread has people on commenting how underserved the airport is?

On anther point, Is anything new likely to be coming Blackpools way ?:ok:

globetrotter79
3rd Sep 2009, 07:32
Glasgow..?

jet2impress
3rd Sep 2009, 09:19
Is this guy for real????? Get a grip!!!!!

Happen to stick my head round the hanger door the other week, i see Jet2 are doing undercarriage changes, didnt know they had the approvals to do them! Does anyone know if they do ? i am sure they must.

NEW-CREW
3rd Sep 2009, 09:23
How about Norwich?

WELSHGUY40
3rd Sep 2009, 09:27
cwl would be good the airport well underserved we only got one lo co thats baby and there not doing much for cwl so :ok: up to jet2 would be nice

take-off
3rd Sep 2009, 09:37
Ibiza has been dropped off the list for blackpool, are we to take it that its another route gone by the wayside, or is it still being juggled about for the next year with anything else new to come(or not!):sad:

theloudone
3rd Sep 2009, 10:19
I have got a grip, just checked with the CAA web site !:)

OliWW
3rd Sep 2009, 10:20
Could we see some more LS routes from EMA with the news this morning that EZY are leaving which means loosing routes such as Barcelona, Venice, Prague, Geneva, which aren't operated by other airlines at the airport during the Summer...

UPS@EMA
3rd Sep 2009, 10:26
Oli,

Unfortunatly i think after the big fan fair about EMA being the only airport with FR, WW, LS and U2 and now losing Easyjet, we wont be seeing anyone taking over the routes.

Its a failier on the part of the airport management in part. They cant blame the recession and passenger figures were pretty good from EMA most of the time. When an airline becomes stagnent, it becomes a problem. There has been no expansion at EMA in 7 years from Easyjet. Where are the 'perks' that Ryanair seem to get. Im also sure LS got a top deal, after signing a 10 year contcat with the airport. Wait for an even steeper decline in passenger figures. wi have lost about 750K pax from Easyjet and gained roughly 130K from Jet2

regards

Stu

OliWW
3rd Sep 2009, 10:30
WW might be basing a 6th aircraft at EMA next summer, a 6th aircraft is needed on a Monday and Friday in August 2010, so that might become permanent, who knows, its a complete joke EZY pulling out of EMA, yes they haven't expanded in 7 years but they didn't really need to, their routes as you say had good passenger figures. I'd like to now what EMA have to say about this, as they were so dam pleased about having 4 low cost airlines, well, for about a week! I do think the EZY routes would be perfect for LS though, and would also fill in jobs lost at EZY... I wonder if LS will get EZY's check in desks now, through 33-38?

Craigston_tom
3rd Sep 2009, 11:56
A NEW Jet2.com route has been announced today from Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle to Monastir (Tunisia).
The service will operate weekly on a Saturday from Manchester and weekly on a Sunday from both Leeds Bradford and Newcastle.

Sunday
LS221 07:00 - 10:20 LBA-MIR * STARTS Sunday 23rd May 2010
LS222 10:55 - 14:20 MIR-LBA

LS575 08:45 - 12:15 NCL-MIR * STARTS Sunday 27th June 2010
LS576 12:55 - 16:25 MIR-NCL

Saturday
LS939 14:00 - 17:15 MAN-MIR * STARTS Saturday 29th May 2010
LS940 17:55 - 21:20 MIR-MAN

Seems that all three services will be operated by B737's.

pug
3rd Sep 2009, 13:53
I will probably get shot down for this but how about Humberside as 9th UK base? I heard they came close to before and now with all the well performing charter routes lost a based aircraft could help bring those destinations back?

mmeteesside
3rd Sep 2009, 13:58
Anyone think Durham are in the running for a base? Slap bang in the middle of Leeds and Newcastle I know, but then so would be Doncaster (LBA/EMA) - only other option I see is Prestwick :confused:

aidoair
3rd Sep 2009, 14:09
If LS were to have a base at DSA it could be ideal for them even though they are opening up a base at EMA and aswell as having their base at LBA.

The routes that could be offered from DSA would most likely be city and summer sun routes similar to that at LBA, whereas it seems the operation at EMA is geared more towards a niche market away from the ''bigger'' charter carriers to more mid-haul routes, filling in a void left by XL and a reduction in based charter flights. Thomsonfly showed the potential the airport had on these routes when it first started here, but with it's change of strategy they were steadily abandoned. Should LS set up base here (being the only non charter at DSA) they would then have the monopoly and control of how to control routes with cost and frequencies etc, so that it doesn't impact on their operations at their existing bases.

This same idea could also be said about MME. Located between its two main operations, LBA and NCL.

righthandrule
3rd Sep 2009, 14:09
Dublin. Meeson wants a fight, Jet2 have done regular charters from DUB before. I believe Glasgow and Bristol would be ideal 1 a/c bases to start with also. Let's see what happens ...

MUFC_fan
3rd Sep 2009, 14:41
There are a number of bases that Jet2 could choose from North of London yet I think it is more important to concentrate on their current expansion:

EMA Base
What a fantastic choice of destinations. We were saying that it would become Ryanair and BMIBaby country yet Jet2 have come in and picked a handful of superb routes that will be guaranteed money makers. I was in SSH during the last week and the number of British was far higher than I have ever seen before and all UK bound flights were full upon my departure - Jet2 seem to have entered the Egyptian market at a fantastic time!

Monastir
Another great little earner!:ok:

aeulad
3rd Sep 2009, 15:26
Durham, Humberside or Norwich would be my bets for a new base. I hope HUY get their act together and get it. Jet2 are already prominent at MAG airports Manchester and now East Mids. I suspect Norwich will be the one however, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Regards

Mike

flybar
3rd Sep 2009, 16:52
I have got a grip, just checked with the CAA web site !http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

And what dynamic conclusion did you come to looking there then?

Hopefully that you should stop peeping round the corner of hanger doors and get on with your job and leave others to do their's!!

lagerlout
3rd Sep 2009, 19:19
so where is the 8th one?

aidoair
3rd Sep 2009, 19:23
Perhaps theyre counting STN?

theloudone
3rd Sep 2009, 20:19
Its not been totally concluded, yet !

It certainly wont stop me looking.

planenut321
3rd Sep 2009, 21:12
Who says its gott a be up north? Cardiff?

mathers_wales_uk
4th Sep 2009, 02:50
Well depend what way you look at the BD/LH story then there will be plenty of room at CWL for a new carrier as Jet2 offer many a route from other hubs that are not currently served by and airline at CWL and if WW do dissapear due to the LH/BD situation then they will be in a perfect place and position to move in.

Craigston_tom
4th Sep 2009, 14:57
A further new route has been announced today from Blackpool to Jersey operating twice per week on a Monday and Friday, starting on Monday 28th May 2010.

Monday
LS709 10:45 - 12:15 BLK-JER
LS710 12:45 - 14:15 JER-BLK

Friday
LS709 16:00 - 17:30 BLK-JER
LS710 18:00 - 19:30 JER-BLK

4th Sep 2009, 18:02
Think a Glasgow base is being considered? Typical sun routes. Although im sure Globespan wouldnt be thrilled.

ncleflights
5th Sep 2009, 18:54
Just a very quike post folks, given the recent expansion at EMA, NCL, MAN (announced for 2010) and supposidly BLK does LS have the airframes currently in service to meet expansion demands or is something new arriving soon.

mickyman
5th Sep 2009, 19:12
ncleflights

'Just a very quike post folks, given the recent expansion at EMA, NCL, MAN (announced for 2010) and supposidly BLK does LS have the airframes currently in service to meet expansion demands or is something new arriving soon.'

Yeah..............BMIBABY !

MM

Artie Fufkin
6th Sep 2009, 09:04
Anyone else heard of Tunisia flights from LBA MAN NCL next year?

CentreFix25
6th Sep 2009, 09:46
I think most have - it's all over the jet2 website.

757 Speedbrakes
6th Sep 2009, 12:04
does LS have the airframes currently in service to meet expansion

LS have a new 757 arriving this summer, taking the total to 10. Tunisia will go from NCL on a 733 or so I've been told.............

sam dilly
7th Sep 2009, 16:30
A new 757, now were did they find that ?
none have built for a few years !

OliWW
7th Sep 2009, 17:18
I'm sure it will be new to the age of Jet2 fleet anyway :ok: will most likely be regd G-LSAK

757 Speedbrakes
7th Sep 2009, 18:24
Well of course thats what I meant you sad t**t!

OliWW
7th Sep 2009, 18:30
I think it pretty obvious that they wouldn't be getting a "new" B757 as the last one was built in 2004, you do not need to make an issue of it, it is obvious that "757 Speedbrakes" didnt mean that. Jet2 would be looking for one built between 1990 - 1995 most likely...

ex Thomson?
G-BYAD is leaving soon apparently

flybar
7th Sep 2009, 20:08
A new 757, now were did they find that ?
none have built for a few years !

What a stupid comment

theloudone
8th Sep 2009, 07:37
Told yesterday by a line engineer, if i was to recommend an engineer to Jet2, its best to go through BSS Aviation, he mentioned it was Jet2`s internal recruitment company.Is this the case ? if so, i cant find them on the web, only get companies house details, tried the REC,they to said they have never heard of them. He did mention it was run by Jet2`s engineering managers, is this so ? if so, who do i get engineers to e mail/talk too ?

757 Speedbrakes
8th Sep 2009, 12:57
He did mention it was run by Jet2`s engineering managers, is this so ?

Yep, a more dodgy cartel than a South American presidential election!

Jet2krazey
8th Sep 2009, 14:14
So anyone know where this next 757 is coming from! is it gonna be bought or leesed! :8

freightdoggy dog
8th Sep 2009, 20:55
They are probably as new as Titans B757's and B737's lol.

theloudone
9th Sep 2009, 06:32
You not wrong there, even the Inland Revenue say they are not aware of them ! Oops

shedrule
10th Sep 2009, 09:20
Does anyone have any information as to whether Jet2 will still operate Murcia from Edinburgh next summer, and if so when the flights are likely to be released for sale online?

Cheers :ok:

conti onepass
10th Sep 2009, 13:27
manchester to funchal summer2010

12th Sep 2009, 18:31
Anyone heard the latest on where the new JET2 base for S10 will be?

BAladdy
12th Sep 2009, 20:52
Anyone heard the latest on where the new JET2 base for S10 will be?

I believe it is the already announced EMA

12th Sep 2009, 21:03
Apparently another is to be announced, ofcourse could be entire speculation and rumour but then thats what this forum is about.

take-off
12th Sep 2009, 21:26
SO is jersey the large expansion of routes for BLK next year then, or is it that blk expansion has been sacrifised in favour of MAN?

Ernest Lanc's
12th Sep 2009, 22:57
I would say the latter take-off. I believe there would have been a third a/c based at BLK had FR not chucked their toys out of the pram at MAN.

airhumberside
13th Sep 2009, 11:16
Apparently another is to be announced, ofcourse could be entire speculation and rumour
Its not speculation but fact. The Jet 2 MD told the travel trade gazette another base is to be announced

daz211
13th Sep 2009, 11:29
Maybe STN ! But I think it might be classed as a base already.

pug
13th Sep 2009, 11:40
The MD said that the next base will not be in the south of England so i guess that rules out any London airports. NWI has been mentioned but i suppose it depends whether that is classed as southern?

Perhaps CWL or GLA?

conti onepass
13th Sep 2009, 12:30
why dont jet2 just concentrate on the airports they already fly from, im sure blackpool could do with more flights, also manchester, what happened to all the european cities they used to fly to i.e amsterdam, barcelona, surely these flights were popular!!!!

EI-BUD
13th Sep 2009, 13:28
Perhaps CWL or GLA?

How about Doncaster Sheffield given that Jet2 is well known in the region, also how are relations with Leeds Airport at the moment on foot of the news of Ryanair´s base coming?

EI-BUD

aeulad
13th Sep 2009, 14:36
I will put my neck out and say that I think the next Jet2 base will be Humberside. Starting with one based aircraft in Summer 2010. I really hope DSA doesn't get this one.

Regards

Mike

13th Sep 2009, 17:09
GLA could be doing with a new airline entering the market tbh.

No RYR for me
13th Sep 2009, 18:23
what happened to all the european cities they used to fly to i.e amsterdam, barcelona, surely these flights were popular!!!!

There is a simple rule: if you dont make money on a route: bin it! And dont get started about the number of pax on a flight etc. You have to look at the revenue on a route, which Jet2 does well... so there is your answer :8

conti onepass
13th Sep 2009, 18:43
ok thanks for attitude!!!

aidoair
13th Sep 2009, 18:55
I will put my neck out and say that I think the next Jet2 base will be Humberside. Starting with one based aircraft in Summer 2010. I really hope DSA doesn't get this one.

Regards

Mike

Why do you hope DSA doesn't get it ??? You seem to feel strongly about this, any reason?

However, it would be good to see if it was Humberside. It will certainly be more focussed on the holiday side of the business with attracting other tour operators as XL proved this a popular base a couple years back.

BKS Air Transport
13th Sep 2009, 19:22
Personally, I would go for CWL. I suspect there is a lot of leakage from South Wales towards Bristol, so they would have a chance to reverse this and build up brand loyalty amongst the Welsh. Given that it can't be anywhere in the south of England, the other front runner is probably GLA. I would give HUY an outside chance with a small base. I don't think Doncaster is realistic, as it would dilute their existing bases, especially with the development now at EMA. Also, with the exception of BLK, Jet2 do not seem to go for 'secondary' airports. A similar argument would apply to MME.

WELSHGUY40
13th Sep 2009, 19:51
yes cwl would be good we need it :ok:

aeulad
13th Sep 2009, 21:06
Being from East Yorkshire, I am a big supporter of Humberside, and with family in Spain, it would be much more convenient if HUY had more flights to the sun. If DSA gets LS, then I don't believe HUY will ever attract a prosperous low cost based operator.

Regards

Mike

aidoair
13th Sep 2009, 21:21
Unfortunately now that we have DSA i don't think HUY would attract a true low cost carrier to have a base there anyway, i.e EZY FR etc...
As said before if LS were to base at HUY i guess it would focus on holiday routes such as those it offers from EMA, attracting travel agency's and tour operators. XL showed it to be successful in this market a couple of years back and was set for an increase ind estinations the following summer (however it obviously never happened due to other reasons)
At a push, HUY could offer hi-frequency med routes, however the airport is less suited to handle a huge increase in traffic at present. DSA on the other hand is slightly ready positioned for this, its ready to go and has already proved itself popular on the low-cost high frequency model.

righthandrule
13th Sep 2009, 21:56
Opening a base at HUY or DSA and MME makes so sense at all, Jet2 would simply dilute their current market at LBA/NCL/MAN and now EMA, competing against themselves.

Look out for a 757 appearing at Dublin operating a mirror of the EMA base. Treading on Ryanair's toes but operating routes that are slightly out of their reach.

aidoair
13th Sep 2009, 22:18
Opening a base at HUY or DSA and MME makes so sense at all, Jet2 would simply dilute their current market at LBA/NCL/MAN and now EMA, competing against themselves.

I agree to a certain extent, however, as Jet2 would be the sole operator at the above airports they would have control on what routes to operate as well as more control over pricing because of no/little competition from other airlines. DSA wouldn't really effect the LBA operations, a higher % people from South Yorkshire choose EMA and MAN as their main airports after DSA as said in past polls. With this in mind the routes from DSA could be totally different to those offered at EMA.

Look out for a 757 appearing at Dublin operating a mirror of the EMA base. Treading on Ryanair's toes but operating routes that are slightly out of their reach.

Now that seems a very realistic option. Again it would be able to fill a gap left by previous tour operators over their and increase choice! Now i wouldn't have thought DUB but it does make sense.

RobT100
14th Sep 2009, 09:06
Look at the massive clanger Thomson's dropped when they moved out of LBA in favour of DSA.
I think thats a lesson enough for anyone. Can't see Jet2 moving in there at all.

NEW-CREW
14th Sep 2009, 09:41
What do you think the chances of a non-UK base would be? I don't know where or how this would work, but may be worth considering.

aidoair
14th Sep 2009, 09:57
Look at the massive clanger Thomson's dropped when they moved out of LBA in favour of DSA.
I think thats a lesson enough for anyone. Can't see Jet2 moving in there at all.

Now what clanger would this be?

Thomson holidays charter business is a great success at DSA with 3 based aircraft this summer and so was there scheduled / high-frequency routes. The reason the latter has more or less finished now is because of a group wide restructuring of the company, back to its orginal routes, the charter market. It's the part Thomson knows best. BOH, CVT, CWL, MAN and LGW among its other larger airports also now no longer serve this scheduled, high-frequency marke. So this to me is no fault of DSA at all.

I know it sounds like i am sticking up for DSA on this thread but as I work in the industry i am a big fan of all airports in the UK and i like them to do well. The thing is DSA now needs another based airline to make up for the loss of routes Thomson no longer serve. While it would be great to see EZY or FR, I think they like expansion on large scales these days. So Jet2 could be the best one for the job. Its a great success story at LBA because it believed in the airport and now look at it.

pug
14th Sep 2009, 11:42
Rumour been posted on another forum that the new base is a two horse race between DSA and HUY for 1xbased machine.

If this is true i suspect Peel will be offering the top deal, only good point for HUY is that they have just confirmed EMA as next base and MAG may have given a good offer for use of HUY aswell? Plus its a bit further from EMA and LBA too and the charter routes with XL were supposidly profitable. Plenty of room for a based machine or two i suspect.

The thing is DSA now needs another based airline to make up for the loss of routes Thomson no longer serve.

I think judging by their recent expansion that their market has changed from the city destinations to the tour operator and sun routes. I think whichever airport they choose it would be the same for the forseable future. The risk is that Jet2 would only replicate routes currently served by TOM from DSA and also by FR if they come back next summer.

As i say i would have thought Peel will make a good offer but it depends whats been layed on the table with MAG as they just announced the EMA base, could be similar to the FR deal a couple of years ago which saw FR base at EMA and a DUB route being trialed at HUY. That is all assuming the rumour i posted has some truth in it.

RobT100
15th Sep 2009, 20:46
Now what clanger would this be?

Like you said Thomson has a perfectly good charter business running out of DSA, totally agree. However, the clanger I am referring to is thinking they can dictate to the customer which airport to fly from, just because it suited Thomsons better.

They pulled out of Leeds thinking they could march people in the West Yorks area down to DSA. Now I don't think this has happened as much as they would have liked and basically Jet2 have cleaned up on a lot of what Thomson could have had, if it had been more customer focused.

I honestly think Thomson could have had a far more sucessful operation from LBA than it currently has at DSA.

EI-BUD
15th Sep 2009, 22:45
could be similar to the FR deal a couple of years ago which saw FR base at DSA and a DUB route being trialed at HUY

Hi Pug,
I may be reading your post wrongly, but FR never did base any aircraft at DSA. Initially they did a daily 73S on the DUB DSA route which was originating in Dublin (I was on the 1st flight!!).

HUY from Dublin with Ryanair was a total flop. The 738 was far too big and the loads and yield were appalling. HUY may work for Jet2 in the summer with the usual suspects to AGP, ALC, FAO etc. However, not at significant freqency and I would be surprised if a base had more than 1 aircraft?

tonto68
19th Sep 2009, 00:32
It seems the rumours are abound that HUY has got Jet2 for next summer. Lets hope its more successful and RyanAir! :ugh:

Talk of 13+ flights! :D

HOODED
19th Sep 2009, 06:36
Would make sense given the recent EMA base announcement. Are they both not owned by MAG?

airhumberside
19th Sep 2009, 12:12
MAG own EMA and most off HUY

Cloud1
19th Sep 2009, 17:34
What about Exeter as their next base? I know BE are already there but there are a number of routes which are not offered by them which has the potential.

TOM operate most of, if not all, the charters which has led to a huge reduction in capacity on some routes. I am sure that a B737 would work on part charter part scheduled basis.

EXT are owned by the same owners as Blackpool where Jet2 already have operations. Jet2 also have a big presence at Exeter with cargo work and have, and still do, operate charters into Exeter from places like Lourdes so they are already familiar with the airport, costs etc

Probably will not be Exeter but I would expect them to at least consider it. Even with Bristol up the road, I am certain that there are a number of routes which would be successful both in Germany, Poland and to sun destinations not served at present.

aeulad
19th Sep 2009, 18:47
LS have said their next new base will NOT be in the South.

Regards

Mike

Cloud1
19th Sep 2009, 21:08
South West??? ;-)

19th Sep 2009, 21:42
I have a feeling anywhere in the south east or south west, possibly these all come under the south.

Id look further north to maybe GLA, ehich could be a strong candidate.

theloudone
21st Sep 2009, 10:35
I think that is a good idea myself, and with the extra bases plus a younger fleet, a good idea indeed.
Maybe competeing with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet, a little optimistic !

Charlie Roy
21st Sep 2009, 10:41
surely Jet2 would be an ideal candidate to acquire bmibaby??

Sounds interesting, but would JET2 have the money?

aidoair
21st Sep 2009, 11:31
It has been mentioned many times, both in the past and more recently. It does start to get a little bit boring with it coming up all the time. However as mentioned in the many past threads about this, Jet2 probably wouldn't bother, they can expand on their own if they so wished, without the need to purchase a company and all the expense that goes with it... (changing terms & conditions, pay, rebranding, marketing, lease agreements etc etc)

In my opinion WW isn't really a threat to LS or vice versa. They both offer good competition at their airports, without having to put up fare fights like that of FR. So to me it would be pointless.

firstchoice7e7
21st Sep 2009, 15:30
re the remarks on the Manchester thread, whats the story with Meeson being cautioned by police at Check in at Manchester recently. Why did he kick off?:)

LPFR
22nd Sep 2009, 19:20
LS186 MALAGA 1455 INDEFINITE DELAY EXPECTED 11:55 23SEP
Geez! Which aircraft is operating this flight?

LBA
22nd Sep 2009, 19:43
It appears that G-LSAB did the outbound.

PAPAROMA
23rd Sep 2009, 14:45
Jet2 on sale for EDIFAO and EDIDBV for S10......

wawkrk
23rd Sep 2009, 16:47
Does anyone know why my suitcase carried a "Heavy" label with the weight shown as 21.7kg?. Potentially all Jet2 bags now could be marked as heavy with the allowance being 22kg.
Is this more H&S madness as we move rapidly towards, "Danger,Suitcase".

backtrack_32
23rd Sep 2009, 17:27
Any thing marked over 20kg for j2 is tagged just for the handlers.

RHagrid
23rd Sep 2009, 17:28
Cloud 1.
I liked your fantasy idea of Jet2 operating routes from EXT.
However the management there would never encourage another operator that would upset Flybe's monopoly. Remember Flybe just happen to have a share of Galaxy Investment group, who in-turn have a substantial percentage in the ownership of Exeter.
Balfour are spending lots of money to improve Blackpool (some say at Exeters expense) because it is wholly owned by them.

Cloud1
23rd Sep 2009, 17:50
Fantasy idea??? blimey your a bit harsh are you not....

I am pretty sure that EXT would encourage another airline in if they operated routes that Flybe did not currently serve. There are a number of routes anyway which simply do not fall within BE's network or are too far away for the a/c they operate. I am sure I could think of several routes which would possibly be successful which BE will not ever operate....

LBIA
23rd Sep 2009, 18:07
Hi

Dont think anyone else has noticed but Jet2 have put there summer 2010 programme on sale from Edinburgh today and announced 2 new routes.

The airline will start new routes to Faro in Portugal and Dubrovnik in Croatia along with offering flights to Ibiza, La Rochelle, Menorca, Murcia, Sardinia, Prague, Toulouse and Venice.

rpmac
23rd Sep 2009, 19:26
My suitcase was labeled HEAVY for 21kgs at EDI last week flying EasyJet to Palma

32threshold
23rd Sep 2009, 19:47
rpmac, read up four posts and you'll see why.

mantug01
23rd Sep 2009, 19:56
Most handlers now must place a 'Heavy' tag on baggage over 20kg as its a common legal claim for the loaders getting manual handling injuries.

The current union campaigns are to make the maximum single bag weight 23kg, anything over would not be accepted for travel.

Lighten up (http://www.unitetheunion.com/lightenup)

righthandrule
23rd Sep 2009, 20:17
As has been mentioned its for the Health and Safety of baggage handlers. I tag all bags 20kgs and over, as it standard policy at Jet2 and most other airlines.

It's very deceptive how heavy bags are, you assume the larger the bag is, the heavier it is. This is no way the case (excuse the pun) its amazing how some people can ram 22kgs into such small cases.

On a seperate note, its great to see Jet2 expanding out of EDI, no new routes really for a year. Nice little base with good potential for a 757 doing some medium hall routes in the future.

rpmac
23rd Sep 2009, 20:21
Just mentioned it was with EasyJet and not just J2, I am sure the handlers appreciate the notice.

take-off
24th Sep 2009, 07:40
'Balfour are spending lots of money to improve Blackpool (some say at Exeters expense) because it is wholly owned by them.'

On what exactly ?

retrosgone
24th Sep 2009, 11:13
Wouldn't say jet2 are "expanding out of EDI" as suggested above. While Dubrovnik and Faro have been added, Pisa and Avignon have been quietly dropped (as has Dusseldorf). Poor Euro exchange rates have undoubtedly affected French routes, and while Pisa has been popular it has caused a deal of hassle this year with delays and Italian inefficiencies.

There is a finite limit to what can be done with three 737s, all of which have to be home in time for the Royal Mail flights, and I can't see much more being squeezed out of them for 2010, given that a charter series to Reus also has to be fitted in.

ORAC
24th Sep 2009, 14:58
Police called as airline boss berates own staff (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/budgettravel/6222484/Police-called-as-airline-boss-berates-own-staff.html)

Philip Meeson, boss of budget airline Jet2.com, was warned by police after flying into a rage at his own staff after becoming annoyed at the length of time it was taking them to deal with a long queue of passengers.

smudgethecat
24th Sep 2009, 16:27
i used to use jet 2 quite a lot however that arrogant sod wont be getting anymore of my bussiness , shamefull way to treat his staff who no doubt were undermanned/ poorly resourced etc

lagerlout
24th Sep 2009, 18:01
ooooh... how contraversial... the boss of an airline berating staff for not performing to desired standards... yes must never fly with them again! Seriously some people need to get a grip.... i bet no ailrine boss has ever given their staff a rocket before!

Yawn - story is dull now...very clearly a slow news day!

habs_fan
24th Sep 2009, 18:31
It wasn't his staff they are employed by aviance not jet2

IB4138
24th Sep 2009, 20:35
Hang on a minute smudgethecat.

I have been down in that hell hole, check in T1 ground floor, that Jet2 use, on more than one occasion and at that time of day. Why Jet2 use that area is beyond me, unless it is for cost purposes.

Check-in has never opened on time when I have been present. That is the handling agents problem. Their management, have tried, on more than one occasion, to blaim MAN security staff for failing to return from breaks/report for duty on time, to operate the oversized baggage facility, which they claim prevents them from opening check in desks, when their own staff appear to turn up piecemeal.

Check in for early morning Jet2 flights used to be available from several hours before, not the minimum 2 hours. As far as I am aware, it still is.

HOODED
24th Sep 2009, 20:36
...and they were sat talking and doing their nails whilst the queues were becoming huge! Did anyone hear his side of the story on Five Live the other day?

Ernest Lanc's
24th Sep 2009, 22:28
According to the BBC website Mr Meeson believe it or not has had a police warning over his conduct.

LINK: BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Police reprimand for airline boss (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8271558.stm)

smudgethecat.

Jet 2 might just get bye without your business, but you seemed to have overlooked the fact that Mr Meesen was just trying to get the best for the passenger - They are the people that hand over their cash that pays for the staff in the first place.

More interesting is what IB4138 has had to say over MAN T1 - "Hell hole". Well I am flying to Lanzarote from that terminal for the first time, and wonder what I have let myself in for?.

habs_fan

It matters not a jot whether they were JET 2 employees or not, they where doing work for JET2 and Meeson has the right to expect the highest of standards for his pax. yes follow my link - Mr Meeson was cheered by the passengers.

As lagerlout says - News must have been in short supply today, well it was with the boring Obama making news snubbing poor old Gordon, no wonder Mr Meesons shouting made so much news.

simonchowder
25th Sep 2009, 14:12
Does not really suprise me that the CEO of jet 2 decided it would be big and clever to subject his staff to a foul mouthed tirade in public, just about sums his whole tacky outfit up nicely really, and the fact jet 2 passengers applauded such boorish behavouir doesnt really shock me either, most no doubt saw it as quite normal conduct, smudge, do yourself a favour, try monarch ZB, in contrast to jet 2 you get to fly in modern well maintained aircraft whos cabins are not held together with gaffer tape and the customer service is something jet 2 customers can only dream about

lagerlout
25th Sep 2009, 14:56
A300????
????

EuroChallenger
25th Sep 2009, 15:16
Any reason why the Arrecife flight to Manchester is almost a day late? (according to Ceefax and Man Airport website?

Ernest Lanc's
25th Sep 2009, 16:39
just about sums his whole tacky outfit up nicely really, and the fact jet 2 passengers applauded such boorish behavouir doesnt really shock me either, most no doubt saw it as quite normal conduct, smudge, do yourself a favour, try monarch ZB, in contrast to jet 2 you get to fly in modern well maintained aircraft whos cabins are not held together with gaffer tape and the customer service is something jet 2 customers can only dream about
I last flew with Monarch in 2006, and I would reluctantly fly with them again if I had to.

My experience the cabin crew on that occasion were snappy with some on that trip.
737s handle turbulence better IMO than a small Airbus, and Jet2 pilots are best I have flown with.

Also the JET2 737 is more comfortable IMO (and I know some will disagree).
As for Mr Meesen - Is he any different that any other business owner when he see's something is not right. The reaction by the press and some individuals is downright soft IMO.

smudgethecat
25th Sep 2009, 17:52
lol, know what you mean about the cabins sc last jet 2 i had the misfortune

to fly on was on one of their decrepit ancient 757,s , it was a shambles, pity

they didnt spend the money on the cabin instead of those trendy winglets

As for monarch, yes i know how good they are, chalk and cheese compared

to jet 2, which is i suppose why they are still at the top after forty odd

years, flew to gib on a nice new A321 recently , very impressive.