PDA

View Full Version : Random Question For any Naval Aviators Out There

gradvmedusa
2nd Feb 2007, 05:19
I have spent hours combing through spec manuals and looking for an Maintence Requirment Card all because my friend wants to know, "After how many landings is the tail-hook replaced?" He seems to recall hearing it was 3, I think it has to be more then that.

4Greens
2nd Feb 2007, 06:12
Lots and lots! Can't actually remember one being replaced.

Very old ex navy aviator.

Timelord
2nd Feb 2007, 08:49
It depends on if you mean a real hook designed for carrier landings (Buccaneer, Phantom etc) or a hook designed only for emergency use on runways (Tornado etc). The latter are much more flimsy.

IcePaq
7th Feb 2007, 18:21
My dad has an A4 tailhook.

I'll ask him how many arrests it did before it was replaced or whether the plane was being dismantled at the time.

Pierre Argh
7th Feb 2007, 22:35
ISTR that Bruggen's Tornado Wing used to require the last Tornado GR1 to recover every Friday afternoon would take a cable on landing. Until one day a Bae engineer observed the practice and stated the tail of the a/c was only stressed for 3 engagement. Memory means this might be slightly wrong, but could perhaps be the origin of your friends statement? Certainly, as Timelord says, it would be rather daft for Naval fixed wing to have such a limitation.