PDA

View Full Version : Xla Lca Base - Not Making Sense?

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Feb 2007, 21:07
The Summer 2007 LCA basing of a 738, Does not make practical sense, never mind economical & operational sense?

I read an article from Andy Fleming and in that he said:

A 737 will be based in LCA for Summer 2007 operating to UK airports, NEMA, HUY, DTV etc , the reason for this obviously COST!!

To base a UK registered 738 that is already based in the UK in LCA and flying to UK Airports - to me makes no sense at all??

What about crew numbers?
What about maintainance? - Run back to LGW?
Why would fuel be cheaper in LCA than the UK?

XL have had some 'Silly' ideas and performance in the past - remember the 'carry ons' with the 767's in tropical places with no spare engines and pax sat onboard for hours on end?

They let HUY down badly last Summer - Bailing out and not finishing the season.:=

XL seems to get 'Sillier' every year!!:ugh:

Regards.

lgwops
2nd Feb 2007, 01:34
Byalphaindia, I feel compelled to correct your post. As an outsider I can offer my opinion on what you have to say.

Why does the basing of an aircraft in LCA obviously have to be cost? Do you have any commercial knowledge at all? It would appear not. Could it possibly be for profit? With the demise of Helios/Alpha jet there is an obvious opening for an operator to step in and serve the local market, Helios operated a fairly large network from LCA/PFO before their tragic crash. I think you will find crew and maintenance will be LCA/PFO based, that would make the most sense and is, I think, fairly obvious.

As for your other comments, whilst they are so far off base as to not warrant a rebutal, I would point out the following; If you could name one other operater who has spare engines sitting around down route I would love to know, the suggestion is ridiculous.

HUY, now theres a thing, I think you'll find that HUY let themselves down from what I hear. Airport not H24, and reluctant to issue TAF's for early arrivals, lack of staff and fog/mist too often and most importantly not a great response from the local public!

If you have an axe to grind with XL then grind it! Don't hide behind illconceived criticism's.:oh:

BYALPHAINDIA
2nd Feb 2007, 17:51
Lgw Ops, I have nothing against XL, I just can't understand some of their 'Silly' ideas!

Why did they go into HUY in the first place then? if they knew it was not 24H ATC.

I don't think the public had a chance to get to know XL, As they did not complete the season as planned.:hmm:

When XL first arrived at HUY, XL was marketed well in all the local and regional press, There was also an Intro flight for a party of local Travel Agents.

As for the weather why would HUY be any different to anywhere else?

Air Atlanta have not helped XL a great deal, Their Aircraft are mainly delayed due to Technical Faults, Some of the 757's have over 70,000 Airtime hours on them.

I think if they have more bad Summer programmes their time may be up?

I don't think the LCA base will be popular with current cabin crew, I should think most of them have a life outside work and are happy returning to the UK every night.

This could also lead to XL recruiting cabin crew from Cyprus itself?:bored:

Who knows what tomorrow brings in this lovely world??:rolleyes:

Regards.