PDA

View Full Version : Lights over London

trident3A
1st Feb 2007, 16:31
Just seen a procession of brightly coloured lights floating down from North London Highgate area, anyone know what they are? Look like little hot air balloons?

AlanM
1st Feb 2007, 20:54
Dunno mate....

Just saw the same.... we got the same dealer???! :)
:ok:

chevvron
2nd Feb 2007, 06:33
Something to do with Chinese New Year maybe?

captain_flynn
7th Feb 2007, 20:09
Did you find out what they were in the end?

trident3A
8th Feb 2007, 08:52
Nope. We may never know :bored:

captain_flynn
13th Feb 2007, 12:29
Thats a shame! I grew up in London and saw a few odd things in the sky aswell during my time there. If you're interested in discussing it with me just PM me because I don't like discussing things like this in an open forum as some people tend to be too sarcastic about it.

trident3A
13th Feb 2007, 12:45
I found a video of it here:

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/video/UFOfootage.aspx

captain_flynn
13th Feb 2007, 14:20
Yeah, looks exactly like the same thing I saw in the summer of 1998 in London, but mine were during the day.

Thanks for your PM. I've replied with my own experience. :}

Paracab
13th Feb 2007, 21:57
Look very similair to what I saw whilst on the A12 one night, I called the police in the end because people were parking in lane one to get out for a better look!

Turned out to be tealights with some sort of 'parachute' above them and were simply carried up from the heat of the tealight. If I recall it was to celebrate Diwali (sp?).

I parked in a layby and waited for the police so I could explain why I had called in case the lights drifted off before the police arrived. The copper thanked me for calling and we agreed that should it be an alien invasion we were both going to head for the pub up the road for a few cold ones.

Brave eh? :uhoh: :}

Astral_Flyer
14th Feb 2007, 00:56
Paracab said: 'Look very similair to what I saw whilst on the A12 one night'

Can I ask if that was a year or two ago one Summers night. I was in Witham and saw 50+ lights travelling in a long line.

Astral

Paracab
14th Feb 2007, 12:54
Spot on Astral, northern end of the Witham bypass/Kelvedon, summer 2005.

Sunray Minor
14th Feb 2007, 13:11
Looks like the Chinese lanterns that are pretty popular in Thailand around festival or full moon time. Basically they are a big cylinder of rice paper about a a metre high with a flame at the bottom.

Same principle as a hot air balloon, hundreds of them drift around the sky over south east Asia - looks impressive.

Probably linked to Chinese new year.

trident3A
14th Feb 2007, 13:17
Yup, that's the conclusion I came to also. Several websites sell them, I have seen one that even markets them as 'UFO Balloons'.

The truth is out there :)

PPRuNe Pop
15th Feb 2007, 07:23
Hardly aircraft now are they? :rolleyes: