PDA

View Full Version : Windows update problems

SpootNICK
1st Feb 2007, 07:22
Help!

I have an authentic copy of windows XP.

I rebuilt the PC a few weeks ago, and reloaded windows using the origional disk. It works great, just one snag......it tells me that windoes updates are ready to install....but when i click on the bubble it doesnt download them at all. I have tried manually install the updates using the windows website, but it comes back with an error.....stating that i need to check my internet security settings.

I cant find the problem.....any suggestions?

SN

robdesbois
1st Feb 2007, 09:34
First guess, it might be IE's proxy defaults (despite you saying security settings it's worth a try).
Go to Start menu, control panel and open the item named 'Internet options'.
At the top click 'Connections' then 'LAN settings' at the bottom. Make sure that 'Automatically detect settings' is not checked, then click ok until it's all closed then try again.

Did the install come with a service pack? (e.g. XP SP2) if you're not sure, hold the 'Windows' button on your keyboard and push 'break' (top right of keyboard, near printscreen and scroll lock) then it's listed in the first paragraph.

rob

marlowe
1st Feb 2007, 15:03
Not sure if the problem might not be microsofts end as the download page has just crashed my laptop!!!!!! the cynical amongst us might say that this is a ploy by Bill to go buy his all singing all dancing Vista!!!

forget
20th Feb 2007, 09:35
My XP automatically downloads updates but they now fail to install. Doing a Google shows this to be a (new?) very common problem. There are suggested fixes out there, third party, but they look to be way beyond me.

Surely MS is aware of this and has an easy answer.Anyone with any clues? Thanks.

forget
4th Mar 2007, 10:16
Help! :confused: My XP is still refusing to install automatically downloaded up-dates. Am I the only one in the world! These are the updates below. Thanks !!!

Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813)
Update for Excel 2003 (KB929058)
Security Update for Word 2003 (KB929057)
Update for Office 2003 (KB925251)
Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB929060)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB929064)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB924885)

batninth
4th Mar 2007, 13:44
forget,

I don't want to appear a harbinger of further trouble but mrs batninth's laptop had this problem before it decided to escalate matters & stop working completely. Eventually the auto update function wouldn't start from svchost.

To get it back, I ended up turning off Automatic Update & restating the thing. I then manually updated from Microsoft using the option in the IE browser. When all Express Updates were done, I then restarted again, turned auto update back on and restarted again.

I suggest that you do that same as the folks at MS don't appear too interested in the problem as it stands, so get rid of it by manually updating. You can thank Mr Balmer & his troops for wasting another hour of your life.

forget
4th Mar 2007, 13:50
Thanks batninth. I'll try that now.:ok:

frostbite
4th Mar 2007, 14:28
My computer arrived with XP+SP2. I turned off windoze update before I connected to the web and it has remained that way.

Is it a miracle it still works, or have I just saved myself a load of hassle?

Keef
4th Mar 2007, 20:02
As long as you have good anti-virus, good anti-spyware and a good firewall (not the Windows chocolate one), then you have indeed saved yourself a lot of hassle.

The only thing Windows "updates" have done for me is first, to fill the hard drive with shedloads of blue-underlined folders whose purpose I wot not of, and second, to cause the machine to freeze periodically while demanding to talk to its mum back in Redmond.

I have now set my Firewall to block absolutely the "Windows Genuine Advantage" from connecting to anything, in my network or on the Internet. It's been a lot better since.

Tarq57
4th Mar 2007, 21:11
I don't like the auto updater in the security centre for 2 or 3 reasons:
It's slow, it slows down the computer while it's doing it's thing, and it sometimes fails to install 1 or more updates.
It installs willy nilly (when it's working) whatever MS have decided is good for you, without giving you the choice.
If you aren't on a fast connection, your downloads/page loading etc slow to a crawl while it's doing its thing, without you always knowing why.

Try setting the security centre to "notify me but don't download or install them"
When, at that time of the month, the yellow shield pops up, do as batninth suggests, go to MS update in IE7, and view the available downloads to choose. The amount of research/deciding is then entirely up to you .
I would suggest NOT installing the WGA notify tool.
Right clicking on the yellow shield allows you to select from a menu tab an option that basically says "don't notify me of this update again" which is worthwhile. Having done that, on the update site, you will see a message "you've chosen to hide important updates...blah blah blah", which should cause a warm, feelgood glow of satisfaction.
'Tis all about control.

Cypherus
4th Mar 2007, 23:50
Firewall problem maybe, try the download with it shut off.

If all else fails then most if not all updates for XP can be found here:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=460888

You will need auto patcher to install the updates, but at least you only need get the ones you actually want to put in your computer and not everything that Bills Boyz throw your way...:}