PDA

View Full Version : GPWS - Hard & Soft Warnings

Anti-Skid Inop
1st Feb 2007, 04:40
Can anybody please elaborate on hard/soft warnings on a GPWS installation.

What I understand about both of these warnings is that a SOFT warning is one where the gpws calculates an impending threat/conflict. The first boundary/parameter of a certain mode has been triggered in this case. Normally these can be cancelled or rectified by either lowering flaps/gear or rectifying a glideslope deviation. Is this correct????

A HARD warning is when the second boundary/parameter of a GPWS mode is triggered. This is when an imminent threat, such as terrain closure etc, is sensed. These warnings can not be cancelled and immediate avoidance reactions must be complied with. Is this also correct????

What I would also like to know is if all the modes (1 -6) have HARD/SOFT warnings? The only information I can seem to find is that there is only a soft warning for mode 5 (glideslope).

Can anyone please help me here.

Re-entry
1st Feb 2007, 14:21
HARD warnings = 'PULL UP'

'PULL UP, PULL UP'
'TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP'
'OBSTACLE, OBSTACLE, PULL UP'
'PULL UP' light illuminated without aural warnings.

Action reqd. is immediate max effort climb.

SOFT warnings (CAUTIONS)

'CAUTION TERRAIN'
'CAUTION OBSTACLE'
'SINK RATE'
'TERRAIN'
'DON'T SINK'
'TOO LOW FLAPS'
'TOO LOW GEAR'
'TOO LOW TERRAIN'
'GLIDESLOPE'
'BANK ANGLE'

Action reqd. is correct the flight path or A/C configuration to eliminate the cause of the alert.

Linton Chilcott
6th Feb 2007, 07:20
They are all ALERTs

Strictly speaking, there are no hard or soft warnings, only Cautions and Warnings.

For Soft Warning, read "CAUTION". Correct the configuration or flight path anomaly immediately.

For Hard Warning, read "WARNING". Carry out an Emergency Climb until above MSA and the Warning has stopped.

Down Three Greens
6th Feb 2007, 08:00
The Honeywell EGPWS site has some info and some good videos. EGPWS covers the basic GPWS modes.

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/Egpws-Home.htm

DTG

MrBernoulli
6th Feb 2007, 12:55
Specifically, have alook at this PDF document, entitled
"MK V and MK VII - Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS) and Runway Awareness Advisory System (RAAS) Pilot Guide"

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/servlet/com.merx.npoint.servlets.DocumentServlet?docid=D8898F58E-2398-A1BD-F96E-E8CD319E8011

I found it very useful for explaining some of the 'darker' corners of GPWS.
It is 6.61 MB so be patient and wait for it to download.