PDA

View Full Version : GA visitors to Ronaldsway - Isle of Man

manxlowflyer
31st Jan 2007, 13:54
A few words of warning when landing at Ronaldsway and taxiing to Manx Flyers.
It would be prudent to try and keep prop revs as low as possible as airport infrastructure south of runway 08/26 is in a sorry state and is causing substantial propeller blade damage to resident aircraft.
South of 26, taxiway Charlie’s surface is badly broken with loose debris, ATC try to expedite taxiing when commercial aircraft are waiting for take off as clearance is not granted until GA have passed C2. I can only assume that the controllers are unaware of the appalling surface condition.
Taxiway Delta is used extensively by the heavy Simon Snorkel fire engines which has turned Delta into a “big dipper” ride.
For aircraft with small propeller clearance it may be prudent to request taxiing to the north using Alpha-cross 28-Delta to the apron.
The apron at Manx Flyers is old tarmac; the surface is detaching allowing particles to remove paint coatings from the rear of propeller blades. I must point out that the apron is airport property and not leased to the club.
A £30 million extension to 08/26 is being proposed, it is a great pity that plans are not afoot for repairing present facilities before embarking on even more surfaces for the elements to erode, The establishment seem to care little for the south side of Ronaldsway until it’s time to send out invoices……and another thing, don’t look for any taxiway lighting at night south of 08/26! :ugh:
On a lighter note – I hope all visitors enjoy this friendly Island.:)

gg190
12th Jan 2010, 12:25
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just so everyone knows all of the south side taxiways at Ronaldsway have been resurfaced and are in excellent condition. The Manx Flyers apron has also been resurfaced to same standard.

None of the problems listed above now exist! :D

I did hear a vicious rumour that it had nothing to do with caring for the needs of GA, but because the CAA insisted that either the taxiways were improved or the firestation was moved!

neilgeddes
12th Jan 2010, 13:41
Hi, myself and a friend enjoyed a great first time PA28 flight to IOM from Biggin last September. Manx Flyers couldn't have been more helpful including refueling after hours and lending us a car for a day for just £20! Recommend going there :)

liam548
12th Jan 2010, 14:43
Hope to fly there later this year! really looking forward to it.

Just reading about Jasons (Flock1) trip in his e book..
:)

hatzflyer
12th Jan 2010, 14:55
I had an amazing trip there a couple of years back.It would fill a book !:ok: