PDA

View Full Version : The best briefing you have ever attended?!!

flygirl28
30th Jan 2007, 16:49
I was wondering if anyone had ever had a briefing that had really motivated them to get onboard and do a great job....and if so, what was so different about it? Obviously the SEP side has to be discussed, but once that is done, what makes a GREAT briefing?
Been flying for quite a while and would really like to change my style and so am looking for ideas!!!!:D

The Royal Family
30th Jan 2007, 17:27
Well at bmi I have been to lots of bads ones. But the singing CSM, give me stength :zzz:

flytheplanemay
31st Jan 2007, 00:12
I think the best briefings are the ones when the Supervisors say as little as possible, and realise that we are all adults, and not in primary school.

Obviously discuss the SEP side of things, but I tend to tune out when the Supervisor starts going on about grooming, name badges, wings, fit to fly etc... especially when they are not exactly following standard themselves.

exmax
31st Jan 2007, 00:54
When I was a psr, I always used to smile and be positive about the day then I used to start off with informal chit-chat and straight into working positions and SEP. I treated everyone as equals and remembered everyones strengths to get us through the day.
Sounds a bit cheesy but I always used to emphasise the teamwork aspect and finished with "ok, lets get out there and have some fun". In my opinion, the in-charge crew member sets the tone for the day and just have understand the work/fun balance for the day. Treat everyone as adults and one shouldn't go far wrong. When I was BA s/h, I met some excellent psrs, their briefings were very relaxed, they had the right balance.

As for changing your style flygirl28 - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it":)

sinala1
31st Jan 2007, 03:39
but I tend to tune out when the Supervisor starts going on about grooming, name badges, wings, fit to fly etc... especially when they are not exactly following standard themselves.
I mention all those things on the first day's briefing, as it is company requirement to do so - my spiel re grooming is usually something to the effect of "grooming is great guys, thanks for that, we all know the company requirements so lets just stick to those" and thats it - takes 10 seconds. I dont think its too much to ask that you give your attention for that short period of time... however I do agree that its total hypocrisy when the person conducting the briefing does not meet standards themselves.

I tend to involve the the crew in my briefings - getting them to host the SEP/AVMED questions for the day, letting each person take a turn over the course of the trip (plus it keeps them awake :E ). I try to keep it light, quick, upbeat and positive - but at the same time mentioning the companies and therefore my expectations of work. I tend to view the days work in a positive light, finding positive things to focus on - even when its a 0430 sign on (eg "the great thing about starting work this early is that you get a brilliant car park" etc etc) - whilst at the same time not sounding like a robot devoid of all human emotion and feelings ha ha.

Same as Exmax I usually finish up with something to the effect of "Lets go have some fun" or something similar. :ok:

speedbirdhouse
31st Jan 2007, 03:55
I thought the title of the thread was, "what was the best briefing you ever attended".

flytheplanemay
31st Jan 2007, 04:44
Ok, best briefing:

'Hi guys, I dont mind what you do on this flight, as long as the passengers and crew get off the aircraft happy. For those of you who have flown with me before, you know that I am one of the most laid back pursers in the company. Dont make me change.'

Then the Seniors would ask an SEP/First Aid question, but the mood was always the best. Everyone knew flying with this Purser was the making of the best trip you would ever do.

crewbus
1st Feb 2007, 02:11
I like briefings when the biggest priority is getting a coffee at Hudsons :ok:

capt.cynical
1st Feb 2007, 03:15
Sorry for the thread-drift.
But the best interview/briefing I ever had was my EXIT interview when my ditzy manager(visitor) asked how i was feeling about leaving.:rolleyes:

I replied that I was feeling elated due to the fact that my redundancy payout was more than 3 times her annual salary.:p :D

The look on her face was priceless.:eek: :)

flytheplanemay
1st Feb 2007, 03:41
Did it make you feel good being rude to someone who was simply doing their job Capt Cynical?

Lets keep the subject on Cabin Crew briefings.

Maybe you could start your own 'How do you belittle people to make yourself feel better' thread, in your own pilots section :)

capt.cynical
1st Feb 2007, 04:50
Flytheplanemay
Now I am the one feeling "belittled"
I am not, nor ever have been, a PILOT :E

GalleyWench
5th Feb 2007, 21:49
The best quote i remember from a briefing was when we were told we either were expected to work hard or be VERY funny to amuse those of us that were working. Very sly way of letting crew know what was expected and put the ' bumps on a log 'on notice.

apaddyinuk
5th Feb 2007, 22:11
The best briefing I ever attended was by a Main crew member who was only a month online. After a few minutes of sitting in the briefing room waiting for our CSD we had a scheduler run and and tell us that she would not make the flight and a standby would meet us on the aircraft! As a little joke the most senior person in the room just said "well we know what that means, the most junior has to do the briefing"!!!!
As soon as it was said, a very shy (now scarlet) girl reluctantly stood up and walked to the front of the room!!! Before you knew it she was orchastrating what was more like a team building exercise getting us all involved asking each other SEP and AVMED questions and in general having a laugh while being serious at the same time.

It transpired that she was a cruise director in a past life!!!

BDflightSupervisor
10th Feb 2007, 23:22
Hiya!

I have just been offered a position as Flight Supervisor with bmi, I have been flying for 2 years.
I would like to get some advice, on how to go about my briefings.

I am really looking forward to my new role.

Thanks
BDFS

NZ boi
20th Feb 2007, 08:20
Me to I have just got it with Air New Zealand and I wld like some pointers too...

FLYING_HOSTIE
3rd Mar 2007, 16:55
Never say your laid back! lol... we all know from past experience the ones saying this are right dragons and your gonna have an interesting day! tee hee.
x