PDA

View Full Version : Ex-RAN FAA aircrew... squadron callsigns

evilroy
30th Jan 2007, 09:39
I'm trying to locate what some of the squadron callsigns were from the 1970s (or even earlier).

Today we have callsigns such as:

723 SQN - Taipan
805 SQN - Checkmate
816 SQN - Tiger
817 SQN - Shark

They have been in use for many years. But what about some of the decommissioned squadrons?

I know that post-fire, 851 used Phoenix - but what about prior to the fire?

724 SQN? 725 SQN?

The guys around today either can't remember or say they weren't in general use.

Anyone?

airborne_artist
30th Jan 2007, 10:14
John Eacott is ex RN FAA, and lives in Oz so must have good contacts. Search for him on here and PM him.

4Greens
30th Jan 2007, 21:17
Check with the Museum at Nowra.

jed_thrust
31st Jan 2007, 00:40
"The guys around today either can't remember..."

God, does that ever sum it up! Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

However: In the late 70's or early 80's I remember "Delta Black" being used by VC 724.

I hope that helps.

evilroy
2nd Feb 2007, 12:52
There seems to be a little dispute about this.

Some say there were squadron callsigns but they were rarely used; others say they were used but can't remember! The A-4s generally used individual callsigns.

"Windy" Gale at the FAA Museum* is going through the archives to see if there is an answer. Even so, any input would be welcomed.

* For those who are unaware, the museum at Nowra went from being in RAN hands back in the 80s to becoming a private concern. It was known as the Australian Museum of Flight. Just recently it has - once again - gone back into Naval hands and is once more known as the Fleet Air Arm Museum. As the name suggests, it will concentrate on the FAA.

NURSE
2nd Feb 2007, 15:00
is there a link for the Aus FAA Museum?