PDA

View Full Version : Hangar Insulation

greeners
30th Jan 2007, 08:55
Having moved our aeroplanes into a new hangar, as suspected we have found that it is woefully in need of insulation; dampness is a real problem on moist days and cold is also an issue. We have had one professional insulation company quote a number which appeared to be based on making it all look like the inside of a McClaren F1's engine bay....
Anybody out there have any good steers on value-for-money companies who may be able to help us out please? The issue is exacerbated by the all metal construction, which makes it harder to attach insulating boards. We're obviously keen to get this sorted as soon as possible.
Ta
greeners

englishal
30th Jan 2007, 09:05
We used to have a big tarpaulin tied up under the roof. The condensation would drip onto the tarp and run off to the side. Worked well and cost a couple of quid from B&Q.....

Windy Militant
30th Jan 2007, 09:35
Thermal Wrap* (http://www.insulateuk.com/superquilt.php)Try this type of stuff.

*Other insulation materials are available

scooter boy
30th Jan 2007, 10:31
Or get an industrial dehumidifier to deal with the wet air we get on this damp little island.

I got mine from the back of the autotrader (or farmers' trader) for £250 - it is a reconditioned dri-air 150 (I think) and keeps the condensation off my airframe and out of my instruments for the duration of the winter. It is on most of the time for Nov-Feb.

The problem with plastic sheeting is that it traps the moisture in when the atmosphere gets dry outside.

Some days I am removing 4 or 5 gallons of water that would otherwise have been in the air within my hangar from the outflow bucket of the dehumidifier.

Here is where I got mine from:

Pete Snell Plant,
Pinhoe, Nr Exeter
01392-468368
(I have no financial interest in this company)

SB

gasax
30th Jan 2007, 10:40
When we erected our polytunnel it created a rain forest type of micro climate internally. The water literally dripped off the roof/sides making the aircraft wet and damp for a lot of the time. The plastic was allowing the moisture in the air to condense out when cold and yet not evaporate when warmer.

The solution was to put louvred panels into either end - about 10 sq foot each (just made with pine framing and cladding). The ventilation transformed the dryness of the hangar (tunnel). Of course the heating was made more difficult, when we're working on the aircraft a mobile Super SER gives some warmth but the 'answer' is a gas blower. Neither are cheap in terms of the gas they burn - but then we do not heat for that long.

Best of luck.

tiggermoth
30th Jan 2007, 11:18
I've had a bit of a look around for spray foam insulation.

Just found http://www.foam-insulation.co.uk (0800 019 6064)

Rigid polyurethane spray foam is effective in controlling condensation on metal roofing by creating a warm roof resulting in excellent thermal and sound
insulation. Because the IsoSpray spray foam insulation can be applied direct to the substrate surface, it is excellent for metal cladding insulation and
asbestos cladding insulation on industrial buildings and farm buildings

I've not had any dealing with the company so I don't know what they are like, but the product sounds the right kind of stuff.

T.

Hotbox
4th Jan 2010, 19:29
I have a ceramic insulation that is applied by spray gun and will insulate a hangar and not cause condensation. It is also fire rated and carries a 10 year warranty. It has been around for over 15 years and made in the USA. It is a green insulator with no VOC's so the airport hangar administrators will have no problem with the application at their airport. If you want more information let me know!

papa oscar
4th Jan 2010, 20:12
Search for Jablite. Fix it to the current roof then ply board over the top.