PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Airlines

Aiskilus
29th Jan 2007, 19:27
Hi Everyone!

Anyone who knows if PAL is hiring cabin crews at this moment?

▲iskilus;)

no chicken only beef
30th Jan 2007, 05:50
Pal is always hiring

Why dont you go to the PAL Placement Center thats on MIA road gate one, Nichols, Pasay.

Look for Agnes Guerero, shes the top man there.

PAL needs a lot of people, because theyre all leaving for Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Saudia, Gulf, Asiana and who knows where else(the good-quality cabin crew anyway).

The quality of the NEW crew in PAL these days is, well how should I say this .......questionable:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Not the same anymore like in the old days.

good luck

ncob

1niteinbkk
30th Jan 2007, 07:11
hi NCOB,

but i've heard they have "standards" for hiring such as you can't be older than 25 years, have a University Degree etc. etc. - but i guess there's a lot there in the Philippines who can fill such criteria

also that's an interesting point you've made there about the PAL crew moving to "greener pastures" - perhaps those new ones probably have enough just doing the domestic flights on the B737s and the new narrow-bodied Airbuses that PR's leased.

no chicken only beef
30th Jan 2007, 14:58
PR,

True that there are a lot that can fill the criteria of what PR wants in its cabin crew Ex.....-college degree and age requirment. But you have to remember that there are millions of Filipino graduates who are 25 and below that flood the job market each year, not even 1% of these graduates will make it into the ranks of cabin crew both in the domestic as well as internationaL arena (trust me to a be a flight attendant in the Philippines is a sought after-high prestige job). They do fit the age and educational attainment criteria but not the aesthetic and physical requirment.:ouch:

So that leaves us with the "FEW" that are chossen as cabin crew. Let me be brutally frank, even within the ranks of the "FEW" you will find rotten apples, but these days this is more the rule than the exception. It is unbelievable where they find these people. I have made mental notes everytime I fly with any of the local airlines. Here's a run down.

(this is a general assesment, not everybody falls in a single category)

Philippine Airlines- there is no consistancy these days,there are a lot of young cabin crew in domestic who's communication skills are left much to to desired. Some are very attractive and very well groomed thats a point I give them. But there are some crew that just begs me to question them "Where did they get this person?".

Air Philippines- very attractive and well groomed, almost the same as PAL.

Cebu Pacific- Unattractive, unprofessional, horrible uniform, zero poise and grooming. Sorry to say this but they're like glorified tindera's:} (but better salary than Pal or Air phil) The cabin crew feel NO PRESTIGE working for this airline . They dont even have a grooming or poise and decorum course.

Asian Spirit- the ugliest girls in the sky. Sorry guys

The ones that apply and make it into international are considered the lucky ones. The ones that are left behind......well! really need to work on themselves.

We have a saying here in the Philippine Aviation scene "Don't take it personally and try and try and try and try some more up until thy're sick and tired of your face, that they hire you in the end".

good luck people

ncob

1niteinbkk
31st Jan 2007, 11:33
PR: they should really change their Mabuhay Class and Fiesta Class brands as most times their crews lack the Mabuhay and Fiesta spirit that Filipinos are renowned for. It's a shame PR's revival after Mr. Tan (temporarily) ceased operations back in 1998 has'nt changed this negative aspect....:mad:

5J: they've gone a long way since started flying those smoke-belching DC9's and their crew modelling the latest styles of local designers every month.

Mr. Gokongwei seems to be doing something right if their modern aircraft are being seen in many Asian airports. :ok: And Come On - is a Grooming and Decorum Course more vital than being Competent in Safety and Service procedures? :confused:

Aiskilus
31st Jan 2007, 18:38
Thanks Guys!

I just received an email from PAL saying yes I may submit my resume to them. Question, if you guys don't mind, do you know how much would be the salary? If I got in, what's my chances of being rostered for international flights? thanks again:O

▲i§kilÜs

fly_guy100
31st Jan 2007, 20:39
UGH!!!!!!! How I wish I can fly for PAL as a flight attendant!!!!!!! I'm a Filipino-American and I'm going to graduate high school next year and I want the opportunity to fly and live in the Philippines but the only thing that's stopping me is the 2 years college requirement b/c I don't want to go to college, I wanna fly right after I graduate high school. So my question to No Chicken Only Beef is.....is PAL really strict on the whole at least 2 years college requirement? What if I go to the Philippines and I interview and everything, they really like me, do you think they wouldn't mind me not having any college experience at all?? Tagalog and getting to live there is not a problem at all.

Aiskilus
31st Jan 2007, 23:55
fly_guy100

Don't be furstrated, theres always Cebu Pacific who hires at least High School Graduates. My friend told me that the basic there is higher than of PAL's. There are also other companies like Emirates, Etihad, Cathay Pacific, Virgin Atlantic and so much more who hire HS grad. :O

▲iskilus:O

no chicken only beef
2nd Feb 2007, 18:14
And Come On - is a Grooming and Decorum Course more vital than being Competent in Safety and Service procedures? 1niteinbkk:confused:
1niteinbkk- Joining the ranks of the cabin crew world requires a wholistic approach in all the aspects of training.

YES-Grooming and decorum training is important-if a crew member is well groomed and professional looking, passengers respect you more and will see you as an authority figure in case an emergency happens. I know this because I am an INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT ATTENDANT-kung mukhang kang katulong sa eroplano, walang gagalang at maniniwala sa iyo! (if you look like a maid, passengers will treat you like one)trust me. If we wanted unkept and uncout looking crew then we should just hire them from the streets! A Grooming and decorum course is important!

-just because crew are well groomed, it dosent mean that the safety and emergency aspect was neglected. Safety and emergency procedure is still the most important aspect of cabin crew training. It should be a wholistic training program-remember as cabin crew you not only carry the name of your airline, you also carry the name of your country. As cabin crew we make the 1st impression on visitors.

“5J: they've gone a long way since started flying those smoke-belching DC9's and their crew modelling the latest styles of local designers every month.” 1niteinbkk-

1niteinbkk-I know a lot of crew who work for 5J-they hate the fact that they have to continuously change uniforms-what makes it worst is all the horrible and unpractical designs that management comes up for them, the crew are never consulted. And what local designers are you talking about-just because Rajo Laurel designs ball gowns for local debutants dosen’t make him an expert in designing cabin crew uniforms-it takes a lot of research into industrial branding and recognition, safety requirments such as the use of fire retardant fabrics etc.....that MR LAurel or cebu pac management obviously did not do-honey! it ain’t pretty to wear a skirt that looks like a table cloth,its just ugly, ugly ugly.
I have inside information from Cebu pacific cabin crew that the reason why upper management keep choosing such horrible styles, cheap materials and bad tailoring is because the head of the cabin crew department Miss TM, Miss PA and MR TJ want to suck up to MR Lance, so their brilliant plan is “slash the cost of making
decent uniforms, thus save money to please Mr. Gokongwei”, so its not about “because we’re fun” its because “look at us and laugh, we’re cheap and boring”.

The latest uniform rolling out this feb or march-
bench polo shirts in neon orange with hot yellow accents, (super thin quality daw)
hot yellow garrison belts,
skorts(yes I mean skorts a combination of skirt and shorts,how 80’s )for the girls
khaki pants for the boys,
baby doll shoes for the girls in brown
white canvas shoes for the boys.

Can I just say to the cebu pac FA-" excuse me ate, do you this in a size six|?":}

I understand that 5J is low cost and its concept is fun, but this is too tongue and cheek, its insulting -a very antiquated notion of what a quality low cost carrier should be-look at Air Asia and Jet blue now that’s fun but still professional and smart. (the cebu pacific crew wrote a petition against the new uniform which the bosses just ignored)

Aiskilus
YES- they will take you even if you are just a high school graduate, as long as you exhibit exceptional English communication skills, exceptional Physical appearance and GROOMING!.

NO-you will not be rostered for international flights, you will as junior cabin crew start in domestic for a couple of years, being upgraded to international will depend on seniority and the operational requirements for international-meaning if they need more people in international then the first person to go up will be the most senior domestic cabin crew, as we speak there are hundreds of seniors waiting to be upgraded to international, so if you join PAL anytime soon-you’ll be super junior. I stayed in domestic for 5 years.

Cathay Pacific-does not hire Filipinos anymore, the last time they hired in the Philippines was in 1997(females only). Only Hong Kong permanent residents are eligible. And if you are a resident. You have to speak either Cantonese, Mandarin and Fukian fluently

Virgin Atlantic-does not hire none British and none EU citizens, they don’t even fly to Manila, so it’s impossible for them to hire Filipino’s.

Need anymore info?:ok:

ncob

1niteinbkk
3rd Feb 2007, 09:12
kung mukhang kang katulong sa eroplano, walang gagalang at maniniwala sa iyo! (if you look like a maid, passengers will treat you like one)trust me :eek: :uhoh: :suspect:

my filipino friends who translated what you had posted in tagalog [[ If You Look Like A Maid On The Plane Nobody Will Respect Or Believe You ]] - find your remark very very very insulting and condescending!! i think you should chose your words wisely since what you said before is an insult to the the intellegence of pax and unfortunately does'nt portray a positive image especially: since you are cabin crew you not only carry the name of your airline, you also carry the name of your country:=

there were many things that my filipino friends said about their flying experiences with PAL - some were on the lines to what i said in my previous post but some i cant post here coz they're.... :oh: :mad: :yuk:

" i rest my case "

1niteinbkk
4th Feb 2007, 08:19
ncob :ok: good observation ! obviously i'm not if i had to get the tagalog bits translated! :ooh:

and yes there may be many crazy people who fly these days but unfortunately the fares that those "crazy people" pay is the reason why the airlines are operating :uhoh:

ANYWAYS :rolleyes: it's about time this thread got closed since what you "wrote here is the truth" or have the thread re-named as your Grooming/Dressing/Fashion Advise Line since you sound like an expert on these subjects :zzz:

Salamat po :)

TightSlot
4th Feb 2007, 15:58
Move on please...

:zzz:

Aiskilus
6th Feb 2007, 01:44
I agree... moving on...

compensation. benefits and perks... any info:O

Aiskilus
21st Feb 2007, 17:39
Will they also provide you shuttle service? Will the company pick and take you home before and every after shift?

▲iskilus

Aiskilus
23rd Mar 2007, 00:26
Hi everyone,

Can anyone share anything about the recruitment process and what type of people they would likely hire? thanks;)

Aiskilus

flying explorer
19th Apr 2007, 00:47
Im also interested. Though Im not sure if I can take years of domestic flights. But i think it will do especially that I dont have any experience at all. Someone knows the range of salary?

Aiskilus
19th Apr 2007, 01:21
I just had an interview with PAL last Tuesday. It will be discussed to you there. The Basic+Productivity Pay+Allowance. OK naman at may bond. You'll be asked to stand in front, you'll be checked physically... anyways... wala masyado posts dito ... mas madami info sa Pinoyexchange.com click on forums>working Filipino> stewardess/cabincrew and I'm sure you'll pick a lot of info there... enjoy reading!:)

flying explorer
20th Apr 2007, 09:00
thanks! how was your interview? with the bad rumors about PAL, i doubt if they can get really good people and make them stay for long. what do you think?

Aiskilus
20th Apr 2007, 16:20
First I got skinhead before they actullally invited me for the interview. Then I turned up to the big day, asked me to stay after all candidates have been given the chance to be examined. The recruiter said that my packaging was good, all requirements have been met except for one thing... my hair. The lady to me that I don't need to reapply after 6 months or so... just enough time to grow my hair back to look more formal and if I'm ready, I can be reassessed anytime. As regards to the company issue, PAL may have a not-so-good image... however how would I know the company if I won't give it a try. Actually, I'm confused now coz I'm waiting for TAIR Airways' phone call for Panel interview... I just don't know:)

flying explorer
21st Apr 2007, 03:31
i think you shouldn't stop trying out other companies. who knows, you might just get in anytime. congratulations!

Aiskilus
22nd Apr 2007, 07:46
thanks... as long as I hit the best one... definitely I'll go with that one!:)

flyboylipad
7th Aug 2007, 15:34
Aiskilus (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=161900) , did you get in? Hope so

Im trying to get in as well as Flight Crew- Second Officer

thought i'll check out this forum and see the world of FAs. Very interesting!

whatever it may be good or bad i think the FAs are doing a great job in keeping people flying and getting them to their destination.!!

Aiskilus
7th Aug 2007, 16:38
Flyboylipad,

nope I didn't make it... the time I had my interview I had breakouts... I'm in the process of having my skin rejuvinated :ok:

Aiskilus

flyboylipad
8th Aug 2007, 06:14
hey good luck with that!

Keep the passion burning :)

maxi_mutt
23rd Sep 2007, 08:00
Perhaps you should try your luck elsewhere Aiskilus....another industry perhaps since nothing happened with your Tair & PAL applications.

Bottomline, if PAL & Tair is interested in getting you, they should have done it a long time ago. But until now, you're still not a flight attendant.

Best of luck!