PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment in Dubai

UniFoxOs
29th Jan 2007, 18:54
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't easily find the answer. Self and Mrs UFO are travelling BHX to MEL next weekend (Emirates) , with about a 2 1/2 hour stopover in Dubai. I am quite happy to sit in the transit lounge or wherever and watch the world go by, but Mrs UFO wants to get a bit of fresh air to ease her sinusitis. Is it possible to get outside the terminal, say to a viewing balcony or similar, as a transit passenger?

Failing that is there any facility that would at least occupy an hour or so, such as some sort of display, exhibition, or similar. Don't say shops, though, this holiday is expensive enough without the credit card getting any more hammering.

Thanks in advance
Harry

Flip Flop Flyer
29th Jan 2007, 20:05
Uni

Dubai is, generally speaking, based on one thing and one thing only - alleviating you of as much cash as possible, in the shortest possible time. In that respect, it's not too unlike Las Vegas. Nothing wrong with that per se, but as a consequence thereof you'll find very little in the way of 1-hour entertainment that doesn't entail parting with your hard earned.

SXB
29th Jan 2007, 20:54
I spent a week in Dubai with the family, according to my wife we saved a lot of money buying jewellry items, apparently would have cost us a lot more at home here in France....

All I remember was setting a record on monthly spending on my AMEX card.

CHIVILCOY
29th Jan 2007, 22:51
I spent a week in Dubai with the family, according to my wife we saved a lot of money buying jewellry items,

You fell for that one as well?:rolleyes:

Bangkokeasy
30th Jan 2007, 03:18
You don't have a long enough transit to leave the airport terminal.

I have never managed to find an observation deck, but then again I normally just fly in and out, rather than transit. I suggest you start with this http://www.dubaiairport.com/DIA/English/MainMenu/Airport+Guide/Transit/

...and wait for other posters to fill in the gaps.

TimS
30th Jan 2007, 06:09
It depends upon the time of day of your transit.

Primarily it is about shopping - and frankly I don't find it as good as many people suggest - but at least the terminal is reasonably spacious (unless full of sleeping masses of asian sub-continent migrant workers at certain times) and the climate control is very good.

As Bankok says, you don't have time to go outside.

There is a very pleasant restaurant in terminal area adjacent to the transit hotel entrance (just to the right, as you look at them, of the main 'fast food' food hall immediately above the shopping area. It does an excellent quality (the sweets are to die for) and good value buffet in comfortable surroundings which is a pleasant way to kill an hour or so (and much better than airline food - although EK's isn't bad) if the timing is right.

Other than that it's going to hurt your flexible friend.

TimS

UniFoxOs
30th Jan 2007, 10:49
Something I've just thought of - I have been assuming that we can get a cup of tea etc, and pay in USD, as they seem to be accepted in plenty of places, but I can't find anything to confirm this. Will USD be acceptable in bars or will I need local?

Harry

etonrifle
30th Jan 2007, 13:29
USD,s are fine but you will get change in local Emirarti Dirham currency.
ER