PDA

View Full Version : Landing a single at H'row

nouseforaname
29th Jan 2007, 11:46
Does anyone have any experience of landing a single engine turbine helo at Heathrow? Plan to land a H500 there at some point in the future....who is the helo handler there?

Any one got any ideas of cost?

verticalhold
29th Jan 2007, 13:21
Landed a 350 there on numerous occasions. Best handlers are Signature. Talk to bank manager! Cost quite reasonable and ATC superb. Certainly none of the fuss and ado you get with LGW.

Just make sure you are properly familliar with where you will be going. First time can be quite stressful. Its all very simple and you get nocely led by the hand.

nouseforaname
29th Jan 2007, 19:51
thanks very much

Ed Thrust IV
29th Jan 2007, 22:09
Download the aerodrome chart from the AIP on http://www.ais.org.uk and study it. Take it with you as they have various areas where you will be directed to park after landing. (Make sure you know where the 'H' is for landing) You may be lucky and get a "Follow Me" vehicle. If so follow him and follow the marshaler' s instructions. Thy will often park you at the Royal Suite but not always. For departure first contact Clearance Delivery for engine and rotor start. When ready contact Ground for Taxi they will change you to Tower for take off which will be back at the "H". (If you have two radios set up all the frequencies beforehand - Try and get the transponder code set before lifting into the hover as playing with the knobs as you are taxying down Sierra can be interesting) Be careful of your departure path especially in a single and keep well clear of the runway. PM me with your telephone number if you want to talk it through. Not a bad idea to go with someone who has done it before on your first go. Good luck.

Bravo73
29th Jan 2007, 22:09
Be aware that on departure, you have to contact Delivery first. Last time I was there, there was over a 40 minute wait just for start-up. :sad:

This wait obviously isn't too much of a problem if you're sitting in a 747 with the APU running. Bit more of a problem if you're trying to maintain some battery life. I suggest you remind the controller that you're on 'battery' and that you'll call him back at a certain time for start clearance.

HTH,

B73

Juan Smore
30th Jan 2007, 08:30
On the way in, call the handlers (Signature are very good, 123.65) to give them your ETA and find out your parking spot. Also on the way in, you must listen to LHR Arrival ATIS before calling Radar.

Before departure, you must listen to LHR Departure ATIS before calling Clearance Delivery. After that, as stated previously, you get handed to Ground and then Tower. Be prepared for incessant RT; getting a word in is sometimes difficult!

Cost: handling and airport charges currently runnning at c£400 for a A109. Fuel charges have small additions thrown in(bowser and pipeline surcharges) for the privilege of taking fuel at LHR.

That said, it's usually an enjoyable experience!

AlanM
30th Jan 2007, 09:21
From an ATC point of view, it is no different if single or twin.

The only consideration is if it is going to be night, when of course some of the routes are not available to singles.
Generally, we try and get you in from the south, to save a crossing and probable hold. There are also course certain met criteria that preclude a SVFR crossing. We warn the ground guys when you have 5-10 mins to run and they drive out to the Heli Aiming Point and will look after you.

Also, at night and in certain weather you may be told to approach the threshold, then hover taxi in.

Departing is easy, just a potential vortex issue of Departing 27L or 09R, which may lead to a delay. Again, better of going south with no delay even if heading North West - going H9/H3 - Thorpe - Ascot - WOD/BUR etc (which I know you are familiar with)

As said, the "step up" in RT from the often quiet 125.62 to the tower freq's can be a surprise.... you really need to be alert among the constant chatter.

Anyway.... no need to worry about the landing fee - nouse is loaded!!! :ok:

Upland Goose
30th Jan 2007, 20:18
There is no doubt that Alan M is the main man - he speaks very much from (local) experience.
To try and save the 40 minute wait, may I suggest "request" H9 south bound if you wish to go anywhere but north and then you could ask for H9 and H3 to Thorpe and then request Ascot not above a 1000ft then onto Burnham not above a 1000ft - as long as they are not on easterlies! (Confused?)
At night they use the runways instead of the Helicopter Aiming Point (HAP).
As Alam M says, get the adrenaline flowing and jump on every arrival/departure with both feet. Be terse (and listen carefully) and planned with your R/T and they will treat you like a VIP -which of course you are!
A tip I learned from the Citation boys (No APU) - take a hand held VHF to await the clearance from "Delivery". It's OK for us in S76's as we can start the engines on the rotor brake and then, when we get the word, we can "rock and roll".
Have fun and you will look forward to LHR with relish - they treated me very well on Christmas Day 2006 when I attacked them from the Channel Islands - the coffee at Signature is good as well - if you have the time!
LHR ATC reinforce the theory that "if you want something done then give it to a busy person" - they are the best!!
Safe Flying - UG:ok:

Bravo73
30th Jan 2007, 21:12
A tip I learned from the Citation boys (No APU) - take a hand held VHF to await the clearance from "Delivery".

What a great idea! :D Every day's a training day. :ok:

rattle
30th Jan 2007, 21:22
Reckon I am going to save up, find a friendly instructor, and do this just because we can! Done plently of H9 crossings, but I guess to land there is something completely different. LAX in a 206 was fun. This could be one better. An expensive cup of coffee, but will probably get a few bought in return whilst I bore my colleagues with the story!