PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Appreciation

modelman
28th Jan 2007, 20:13
I just took up my second passenger as a recent PPL holder.(my first was my teenage son who was a bit underwhelmed having flown quite a bit with the ATC)
Twas my father in law,a sprightly old boy of 75.
Just decided to go on the spur of the moment and he was delighted at the offer,only having flown in big stuff before.
He is a nervous sort of chap and I said if he wanted to change his mind even if I was lining up,it would be no problem.
We had a short local flight,over my house and some places he knew.
He was absolutely thrilled but I have to say it is the greatest pleasure that I have experienced in my limited flying time.
I never realised how rewarding it can be to see someone of his years enjoy a new sensation.
Bit of a ramble but just wanted share it.
MM

tiggermoth
28th Jan 2007, 22:07
Modelman,

What a great posting!

That's brilliant. I've not taken anybody up as yet. I've only gone 5 hours past my PPL skills test, but I'm really looking forward to taking sombody up!

How many hours had you gone (after passing) before you took up your teenage son? Were you nervous yourself taking your father in law up? Will your wife go up with you? Did you give hime the controls at all (or did he not want to?) Please tell us more :)

It must be a brilliant sensation, especially if they are really excited about it. (I have a handful of people raring to go up with me - really looking forward to it!).

T.

Dan Dare
29th Jan 2007, 13:22
Make the most of the enthusiastic ones! I've started to run out of new people to take up and most of my talking ballast seems quite underwhelmed by it all (or was it petrified?).

It always surprises me how few want to take the controls too - as if the aircraft would suddenly fall out of the sky as soon as they touch the stick:eek:

T2007
29th Jan 2007, 13:30
When I ask people if they would go up with me after I get my ppl the reply is :mad: :mad: :mad: NO!!

Will Hung
29th Jan 2007, 14:48
And that was your former instructor !!!!

dwshimoda
29th Jan 2007, 14:52
Interestingly i think there is a perception problem here. People who knew me before I started flying are more reticent than people I've met since being qualified. It's as if people still think you're new or learning, whereas new people kind of assume that you must have been doing it for ages.

Or maybe it's just me!?!?#~DW

modelman
29th Jan 2007, 16:39
Modelman,

How many hours had you gone (after passing) before you took up your teenage son? Were you nervous yourself taking your father in law up? Will your wife go up with you? Did you give hime the controls at all (or did he not want to?) Please tell us more :)

T.

I took my skills test at about 47 hours-passed nav ok but only a partial on the gen handling ( made a balls of the PFL).Had some retraining and passed the retest ok.That got me to about 52 hours.
When I got my licence,I felt a little rusty after the 4 week wait so I took a refresher hour with a FI but combined this with a checkout in a 172 ( only trained on 150/152's),with my lad in't back.Was then approved for a 172.
My first true 'on my own' flight was the following weekend (53hrs) when I took my lad to Conington for a £150 bacon butty.
That brings me up to Saturdays flight.My wife is keen to fly with me so planning to go to Kemble at the next opportunity as I hear the restaurant there is worth a visit.Father in law didn't appear too nervous-I think if I had given him a weeks notice things may have been different as he is a bit of a worrier.Completely forgot to offer him a go on the yoke-when I mentioned this to him afterwards he said he would have declined.
Have planned my next stepping stone-Coventry to Bembridge for an overnight with Mrs MM but waitng for the better wx/a few more hours under my belt.
I stiil have to pinch myself that I have a little book that says I am a pilot!
Happy landings
MM

BigAl's
29th Jan 2007, 18:14
Hi MMan et al,

can really identify with this. As some will know, got through the skills test last thursday, and now I am quite nervous at the thought of taking passengers (I have a bit of a que forming! :bored:)

First flight post test was saturday, took the FI for a jolly (doesn't that sound funny!). Think I will do a little more on my todd, getting fully used to not having someone next to me (circuits, nav etc.). As my FI said, now is possibly the most dangerous phase... post test, low hours.

All good stuff tho! Got my class 1 medical booked for a couple of weeks time. Hello poverty.

Safe landings one and all. :)

not quite so BigAl since the exercise regime began.:E

FREDAcheck
29th Jan 2007, 19:19
Before I got my PPL way back when, I thought if you were a pilot then small boys would gaze at you in wonder and girls would want to have your babies. Then I found that most people regard light aircraft as marginally less sexy or interesting than trainspotting. It is great, though, when someone really does enjoy going flying with you.

By the by, something that IS less sexy and interesting than trainspotting must be light aircraft plane-spotting. I couldn't believe how many people there were at the last PFA Rally I went to, sitting in the drizzle with their binocs, noting down aircraft registrations. I'd parked next to the runway, and 3 or 4 were sheltering from the rain under the wing when I came to go. I asked if they wouldn't mind moving a bit so I could start the plane. They moved a couple of feet. I hadn't the heart to ask again, so I pulled the plane forward instead.

T2007
29th Jan 2007, 19:20
And that was your former instructor !!!!

nope, he said I'm too laid back for my own good.

modelman
29th Jan 2007, 19:27
Reading Big Al's post got me thinking.I remember now I had another flight between flight Conington and this Saturday as I felt a little 'uncurrent' ( see my former post 'feeling current').I would have been happy to have another PPL alongside me but the only one available would have meant we could only have carried enough fuel to taxi the the hold as I am no lightweight myself.
Next available person was a FI built like a racing snake so we just went up for a 'jolly'. (I paid him of course-can't believe the terrible skill to pay imbalance for these guys but there has been plenty written about that elsewhere).
I would be happy to do this at any time I felt I needed it. ( I think I may have hijacked my own thread!)
Back to the plot: It's funny how the people that seemed quite keen to fly with me when I had finished training have now gone a bit flaky on the idea but new 'victims' are keen to have a go.As an earlier post reasoned,they must think you have always been a pilot.Would be a pity to to let them know that you are not some skygod.....
Happy landings
MM