PDA

View Full Version : Airway designator

powdermonkey
28th Jan 2007, 18:07
Hey all, can anyone tell me where to find the meaning of the letters for the airway designators. Not all answers are in the Jepps, can't find it in AIP or the web!!! I'd like to know what the letters in the designators stand for; W15, V14, Q52 P620 etc . Some are prefix and some are suffix.....
Any clue where I can find this info?
Thanks
Powders

Turbine King
29th Jan 2007, 08:52
Just read that mate!

Copied it off CATS online

7.6 Designators for ATS Routes
The purpose of a system of route designators and required navigation performance (RNP) type(s) applicable to specified ATS route segment(s), route(s) or area is to allow both pilots and ATS, taking into account automation requirements:
• to make unambiguous reference to any ATS route without the need to resort to the use of geographical coordinates or other means in order to describe it;
• to relate an ATS route to a specific vertical structure of the airspace as applicable;
• to indicate a required level of navigation performance accuracy, when operating along an ATS route or within a specified area; and
• to indicate that a route is used primarily or exclusively by certain types of aircraft.

In relation to the above and for flight planning purposes, a prescribed RNP type is not considered an integral part of the ATS route designator.

Controlled, advisory and uncontrolled ATS routes, with the exception of standard arrival and departure routes, should be identified by a route designator which should consist of one letter of the alphabet followed by a number from 1 to 999.

Selection of the letter should be made from those listed:
• A, B, G, R, for routes which form part of the regional networks of ATS routes and are not area navigation routes;
• L, M, N, P, for area navigation routes which form part of the regional networks of ATS routes;
• H, J, V, W, for routes which do not form part of the regional networks of ATS routes and are not area navigation routes;
• Q, T, Y, Z for area navigation routes which do not form part of the regional networks of ATS routes.

Where applicable, one supplementary letter should be added as a prefix to the basic designator in accordance with the following:
• K to indicate a low level route established for use primarily by helicopters;
• U to indicate that the route, or portion thereof, is established in the upper airspace;
• S to indicate a route established exclusively for use by supersonic aircraft during acceleration, deceleration and while in supersonic flight.

A supplementary letter may be added after the basic designator of the ATS route in question in order to indicate the type of service provided on the route:
• the letter F to indicate that on the route, or portion thereof, advisory service only is provided; or
• the letter G to indicate that on the route, or portion thereof, flight information service only is provided.

The same basic designator should be assigned to a main trunk route throughout its entire length, irrespective of terminal control areas, States or regions traversed. Where two or more trunk routes have a common segment, the segment in question should be assigned each of the designators of the routes concerned, except where this would present difficulties in the provision of air traffic service, in which case, by common agreement, one designator only should be assigned.

A basic designator assigned to one route should not be assigned to any other route.

Didn't really think we got questions on this bit though :eek:

powdermonkey
29th Jan 2007, 17:44
Cheers!!
I knew I had read something about it during the ATPLs but when I went looking for it the other day in, I couldn't find it!! Typical. Thanks for that, I appreciate it.
It never ends does it.........you find the answer to one question but it ends up raising another ten!!:ugh:
Powders