PDA

View Full Version : Very nice landing

Felix Saddler
28th Jan 2007, 15:36
Congratulations to the guy up front that piloted this aircraft.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Cessna_185_Skywagon-Airline_Private_Aviation_Video-2253.html

DaveW
28th Jan 2007, 17:09
AAIB report here (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/may_2005/cessna_a185f__g_bkpc.cfm).

Dysonsphere
28th Jan 2007, 18:58
Ooops not so clever then

Felix Saddler
28th Jan 2007, 19:09
So it would seem. For once i would have been grateful if i was the one jumping from the a/c and not the one flying it. Nevertheless, well done.

smith
6th Feb 2007, 12:30
I see after the emergency landing the strobe lights are still flashing. Would have thought he'd cut the master asap after landing or just before. Also would have been good to pull the ICO just before landing to save the prop.

HR200
6th Feb 2007, 22:49
I agree, the battery should be turned off just before or just after landing, I have seen various videos where pilots have actually evacuated the aircraft before turning off the battery.

By looking closely at the video, its looks like he did pull the ICO just before touchdown.

Good observation nevertheless!

Crash one
7th Feb 2007, 00:38
As a rookie student I may be out of order here but why is it when a pilot makes a perfectly good job of landing a busted aircraft there are numerous comments pointing out in great detail something the pilot did not do? May I ask how many of those very observant commenters have actually done one of these landings & got absolutely everything book perfect? This pilot can be used again, the a/c probably can be used again, the crash crew were not required, no primary school was involved, what else do you want? Perhaps he left the master on to inform air traffic that he was backtracking & that the runway was now vacated!!

tiggermoth
7th Feb 2007, 08:35
In the video you can hear the people around the video camera. Comments like "nice and slow" and "oh, beautiful" can be heard, then a round of applause when it came to a halt.

I think that says it all.

PompeyPaul
7th Feb 2007, 12:29
The flaps don't look full extended ? Wouldn't you rather do that for slowest possible air speed, thus slowest possible ground speed, thus slowest impact ?

Feel free to flame away a mere nwebie....

360BakTrak
7th Feb 2007, 14:06
Whether he screwed up the departure or not, it was still a lovely touchdown! :}

False Capture
7th Feb 2007, 14:41
Look on the bright side of things: at least he crashed a Cessna and not something nice. :ok:

gingernut
7th Feb 2007, 14:56
Personally, had it been me, having screwed up the take off at Barton, :\ I would probably have gone over to Manchester and put down on the grass there, rather than knowing that everybody would be watching him at Barton!!

He departed Cockerham, I seem to remember that he chose Barton as he was familliar with the emergency procedures there.

I remember the incident well, as I took my mum to the viewing park, just to show her how safe flying was. Guess I could have chosen a better moment..... she eventually agreed to come flying with me as long as I didn't go to high or too fast- I didn't bother explaining !

Fantastic landing though, and a great relief to see him walking away:)

keep em flying
7th Feb 2007, 15:15
He did indeed depart Cockerham, but the reason he went to Barton is that the aircrafts maintenance facility is there, IE Lightplanes Lancashire. Good call i'd say, also if i ever am in that situation and the end result is like that then i'd be happy! :)

smith
7th Feb 2007, 17:05
Whether he screwed up the departure or not, it was still a lovely touchdown!

I think he could have used more right aileron to keep the a/c wing off the floor longer, as it is he touched down, the wing went down and when the wing hit thea/c slewed quite violently to the left. Probably being a bit overcritical and don't know if I'd remember to do that in a similar situation.