PDA

View Full Version : E mail Format

None of the above
28th Jan 2007, 13:53
I have noticed that, although I send E mails which take up the full width of the pane, I often receive replies that are only about seventy-five characters wide. This seems to occur mostly when the recipient has just hit the 'reply' button so I get the original text back.

I'm concerned that, as I send narrative Emails (often with photos as an integral part) they are being received in a somewhat 'mangled' way and what I am getting back, is exactly how they are being received by my correspondent.

Any thoughts as to where the problem might be, Gentlemen?

Thanks,

N o t a

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Jan 2007, 14:33
Er, that's how it works. (You can look up all the RFCs if you like, but you'll soon get lost in a tangled web of incomprehensible gobbledegook, I know I would and I get paid to find my way round that stuff on a bad day.)

(1) You can send emails as plain text. (Which is usually best for lots of reasons, not least of which is that some people set their servers to silently drop all HTML email because 9.99999% of it is spam.) Lines will get reformatted by something or other somewhere along the line.

(2) You can send emails in HTML format. Lots of people don't like this ... but if your recipient doesn't mind, then any reformatting of the HTML code during the transmission process doesn't matter, as the display is being done by the browser at the recipient. However this way what the user sees is, particularly in terms of line lengths and so on, is down to the window size they've chosen and the browser they're running and various browser options they've chosen.

(3) If you want the recipient to see something exactly as you send it you've little choice but to send your email as an attachment in some suitable document format, PDF would be the obvious choice. But do put some text in the body of your email explaining what the attachment is, otherwise the recipient will quite likely delete it as a probable virus, and don't seen emails as PDFs unless it really makes sense to do so, eg it's arguably for a society's monthly newsletter, it's *not* ok for an "I can do next Tuesday".

None of the above
28th Jan 2007, 18:31
Ah, thanks for that G-t-W.

Although my E mails are rarely of great literary or artistic merit, I'd hope that they'd arrive approximately as sent. I normally use the Picasa Email facility to choose the photos I wish to send, and type the text between them.
I've had some feedback from my correspondent, who, by his own admission, is a computer user rather than a hobbyist, and I get the impression that they arrive reasonably intact, although some doubt remained, hence my question.

Thanks again.

N o t a