PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Windows XP

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jan 2007, 14:34
For some inexplicable reason MS says my copy of Windows is not genuine. It was when I installed it, why is not now or should I let them re-validate it whatever that means.

It does auto updates and is in use every day.

Saab Dastard
26th Jan 2007, 15:26
Pop,

Could it be something to do with updating your PC? IIRC, XP allows a certain number of changes - RAM, CPU, HDD, Mobo etc. - after which it believes that it is now a different PC!

I'm afraid that this is not something I have to know about, as all my software is on a Volume licence through work.

SD

Tosh McCaber
26th Jan 2007, 16:20
I had the same problem several weeks ago- probably due to hardware changes. Let them revalidate it- The only snag might be is whether your XP software is original or OEM- if you do hit a problem (which I didn't), if it's OEM, you would have to go back to your vendor, whether that would be possible.

PPRuNe Pop
26th Jan 2007, 17:28
Fortunately Tosh it is not OEM. They re-validated it when I had to a re-install for the third time following two HDD crashes but that was a few months ago AND on other MS downloads during the recent past they called it a genuine copy and validated it!

Its working OK alright but I don't want to suffer the arrows of outrageous fortune if I let them validate it again.

Would there be a contact with them to justify my copy - anyone?

Coconutty
26th Jan 2007, 21:49
From the United Kingdom, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, call 0870 60 10 100 and the Microsoft Welcome Team will direct your call appropriately.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

four_two
26th Jan 2007, 21:58
Pop, I'm not an expert on this but I think if you've got a full boxed retail version of XP then none of the restrictions of an OEM version apply. You can re-install it on any number of occasions for whatever reason.
As long as it's only installed on one PC (and possibly a laptop, but I'm not to sure about that) then just get it revalidated. You can buy a new PC and still go ahead and use your copy of XP. Time and time again:)

At least that's how I understand it.

empacher48
26th Jan 2007, 22:16
I had my machine do the same thing, but no hardware changes in the last 18 months, and no installs since the last hardware upgrade. All of a sudden one day it was genuine, then the next day it wasn't. Rung Microsoft and found it was trouble with their database somewhere, and nothing they could do about it. :mad:

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jan 2007, 07:47
My copy is not the full boxed version but the MS student boxed version, a totally genuine MS product. I re-installed it four times last year and on the third and fourth time was required to call a ms number. They gave me a code to re-validate it but did ask for the reason why it had been re-installed. Thereafter when loading updates it was accepted as genuine. Until a couple of days ago!

I will call the number Coconutty suggested to see what's what.

Thanks guys all your inputs are appreciated.

PPP

vapilot2004
27th Jan 2007, 10:00
Microsoft has a tool you can use to see why a validation may have failed. It is available here. (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/)

More details on Genuine Advantage validation issues here. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247/en-uk)

Good Luck!

frostbite
27th Jan 2007, 11:44
If you don't fancy paying M$ around 8p per minute for your call, you may be able to do it free on 0800 281221.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jan 2007, 13:03
vapilot2004, your first link worked within about 20 seconds. I am now fully validated. Chuffed to bits!

Thanks to you and thanks to all of you for your inputs.

PPP

vapilot2004
28th Jan 2007, 08:43
Glad to be of service getting it sorted PPP. :ok:

innuendo
31st Jan 2007, 16:56
Four Two, you said:

As long as it's only installed on one PC (and possibly a laptop, but I'm not to sure about that) then just get it revalidated. You can buy a new PC and still go ahead and use your copy of XP. Time and time again

Are you sure that is correct with regards to a new PC? My understanding is that on your original PC yes, but a new one requires a new licence.
In fact if you were to replace too many components of your original PC you could trigger a requirement to reactivate your version of XP.