PDA

View Full Version : Pay for fast track security?

2U5A
26th Jan 2007, 11:39
Recent discussions with fellow global travellers has resulted in this survey type question.
Would you as a frequent SLF be prepared to pay of your own cash (say the equivalent of $5 U.S.) to be "processed" through airport security, where there are; no line-ups; very professional and polite staff and in an atmosphere that is "comfortable" (carpets, compfy chairs to put your shoes back on and space so you are processed without being bumped, knocked or crowded)?
I understand that C,J,F fares does give access to "fast track" at some airports, but even then you line up and are still treated with rudeness and contempt!
Any thourghts on this idea??????

teleport
26th Jan 2007, 12:20
Convenience sells - it's that simple. If the alternative is bad enough, then I consider paying for something.
Specfically re. airport security, then it is worrying that a process noone is exempt from comes with a price choice. It implies that the free alternative is designed deliberately with a minimum level of unpleasantness.
The UK Iris passport alternative is free and intended to for a high level of security while initially being faster, but only work one way air-to-land side.
The Schiphol Privium is fast-track for an annual fee.

SXB
26th Jan 2007, 14:19
Fast track security, immigration and check in already exist. Nearly all major airports offer a, payable, VIP service and I use this service in airports where I know I will have to wait (fortunately many airports in continental Europe offer this service either free of charge or at heavily discounted rates to people from the diplomatic community)

Installing turnstiles at major UK airports and charging people €5 probably would receive a fair amount of business, though given BAA's reputation, you would have to suspect that there would be no extra lanes or security staff, of course the net result being they process exactly the same number of customers per hour....

Gouabafla
26th Jan 2007, 15:15
There are times, after a night flight into CDG, that I would cheerfully sell my wife and children to get through the security line in terminal 2F for for the UK flights.

The combination of slow buses around the terminal and then the long queue is deadly. I'd pay to avoid both! In fact, I reckon anyone setting up a security cleared, airside taxi service at CDG would make a fortune.

Dushan
27th Jan 2007, 01:25
Would you as a frequent SLF be prepared to pay of your own cash (say the equivalent of $5 U.S.) to be "processed" through airport security, where there are; no line-ups; very professional and polite staff and in an atmosphere that is "comfortable"

Yea, but for those apes to achieve that level of service, it would cost a lot more than $5.00

zed3
27th Jan 2007, 04:32
Personally , I would see it as yet another scam to extract money from the pax. Cleverly done though , too few staff (UK) , long queues and "we must do something" !

ZFT
27th Jan 2007, 05:15
You have got to be joking. Pax (and airlines) already pay the airports for just this service – Ironic that the only area in aviation to consistently make good profits are airports which by and large are the worst performers!