PDA

View Full Version : Are there any celebrity spotters?

DenhamPPL
26th Jan 2007, 09:39
Does anyone frequenting this forum know of any famous/celebrity spotters?

I'm putting together some features for BBC Radio 4 and thought it would be nice to find a celeb who enjoys aircraft spotting.

Any ideas? Post or PM me if you wish

Thanks

Andy

(PS I am a BBC Producer - not a News Journo!)

Avman
26th Jan 2007, 10:26
Depends what you mean by spotting. If you mean logging registrations I would very much doubt that IF they exist they would admit to it. However, I don't think genuine celebrities would have the time to follow up on their spotting administration. Now, if you're talking about having a serious general interest in aviation and/or flying, there are quite a few.

The SSK
26th Jan 2007, 10:35
I'm putting together some features for BBC Radio 4 and thought it would be nice to find a celeb who enjoys aircraft spotting.
(PS I am a BBC Producer - not a News Journo!)

Oh Jeezus 'Celebrity aircraft spotting'. Just what is it with the media?

The number of 'celebrities' in the UK is increasing exponentially. Statistically, it's likely that one or more are aircraft spotters, if not today then in six months' time when there will be twice as many.

DenhamPPL
26th Jan 2007, 11:24
Oh Jeezus 'Celebrity aircraft spotting'. Just what is it with the media?

It's my job to find interesting subjects to entertain and educate our audience. I used to be a "spotter" when I was younger and due to the hobby still attracting quite alot of bad press I thought it would be nice to find someone famous who also partakes in the hobby.

I am a low-hours PPL AND a Radio Producer. Apologies if you don't think aviation enthusiasts should go into the media - I'm just trying to redress the balance somewhat and make a nice positive feature out of it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jan 2007, 12:53
So why is this thread entitled "Celebrity spotters?". If you want to do a piece on aircraft spotting why must a "celebrity" be involved? You media shower are the reason why complete dopes become millionaires.. all the hype and tripe surrounding total buffoons amazes me.

Good luck, but I'll wager that the programme will be rubbish.

DenhamPPL
26th Jan 2007, 14:16
So why is this thread entitled "Celebrity spotters?". If you want to do a piece on aircraft spotting why must a "celebrity" be involved? You media shower are the reason why complete dopes become millionaires.. all the hype and tripe surrounding total buffoons amazes me.

Good luck, but I'll wager that the programme will be rubbish.

The reason I am looking for celebrity spotters is because I have been told to by my boss!

I am equally open to hearing from any "non celebrity" spotters who have a passion for their hobby and would like to record a "guerilla report" about their pastime for BBC Radio 4. Any takers? PM me please.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR maybe you should get out more (or listen to the radio?) whilst enjoying your retirement from the tower. I hardly think Radio 4 is responsible for turning "complete dopes" into millionaires. Please dont tar me or my collegues with the same brush as you may some other media enterprises!

BGA
26th Jan 2007, 18:12
Now, if you're talking about having a serious general interest in aviation and/or flying, there are quite a few.
There's even a TV series out there, where celebs fly their own planes (Celebrity Wings).
However, I really don't think you'll find single famous person (willing to admit) that they note registrations.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jan 2007, 18:37
OK DenhamPPL.. It's simply not worth responding.

LGS6753
26th Jan 2007, 21:30
I'm a spotter.

But I've never done anything worthwhile in my life, so I must be a celebrity:}

oldlag53
27th Jan 2007, 08:18
Isn't Jeremy Wotsit, the Aeroflot guy at LHR, a spotter?? And a minor celebrity too, I guess...having been on the TV quite a bit.

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jan 2007, 09:07
Let us not get into a slagging war. No need for that at all.

I think DenhamPPL is perhaps just trying to advance an aviation view of spotters. After all, we were all spotters once and will stay one I expect.

For sure, those celebs who hold a PPL or an ATPL will not be able to to keep their eyes on the ground if there is an aircraft in the air so I suppose they can be called spotters - each of whom fits in at various levels from the idle once in while spot to the aviation geek.

However, make a post if you wish but if we see any that are in attack mode they will be removed.

Perhaps PPRuNe will also get a mention as almost certainly the world's best aviation site.

PPP

DenhamPPL
27th Jan 2007, 12:36
I think DenhamPPL is perhaps just trying to advance an aviation view of spotters. After all, we were all spotters once and will stay one I expect.
PPP

Thank you PPRuNe Pop

I bet that ANY professional or G.A pilot will be looking skywards when they hear the sound of an aeroplane - not just your average "spotter". Why writing it down in a book should make that much difference I don't know!

Unfortunately the public perception of aircraft spotters/enthusiasts is of some geek with a fake fur anorak, thick black NHS glasses, a thermos and a well thumbed copy of Ian Allan's "UK Aircraft Registrations" standing at the end of a runway all day crossing off entries in his book. I know this isn't always the case. I've been there!(and I threw the anorak away years ago;)). I also know that spotters have a PASSION for their hobby and it is THAT SIDE of the pastime which I am interested in getting portrayed on the programme. This is Radio 4 not Channel 4:ugh:

Perhaps PPRuNe will also get a mention as almost certainly the world's best aviation site.
PPP

I am sure PPRuNe would get a mention. It has been an excellent source of inspiration and information for me as I worked towards my PPL.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR - I am quite upset by your earlier remarks. It was people like you on 120.4 who helped to inspire me and which eventually led to my spending thousands of pounds to gain my Private Pilots Licence. The GA industry is in dire need of new aviators to keep the training organisations and airfields profitable and out of the bankruptcy courts. I was hoping you would try and encourage someone who wants to help promote the positive side of the hobby to a wider audience.

There are SOME journalists who love aeroplanes and love flying. We may be in the minority but we also get equally as upset as you may when news about aviation is twisted to make a sexier story for the bulletin. Some of us are trying to paint a more positive picture.

crew the screw
27th Jan 2007, 17:30
Some of us are trying to paint a more positive picture.

So why the :mad: are you interested in "Celebrity" spotters? best thing to do is stand up to your boss and put forward your ideas for a decent show.

I think what Heath Dir and others are trying to demonstrate is that we have had ENOUGH of Celebs. Are there no REAL people out here any more?

Wht not do an expose on the TRSS and bonding and 90% pay for 6 months and falling Ts & Cs on the whole? May just be a "Scoop" in there somewhere? Seriously though there are a whole lot of european laws being pushed to the limit in this Industry..

Do you know of any other industry where you have to pay (Serious amounts of Wedge) to get a job?

Good luck with what ever it is you go with though. I know it might have sounded like a bit of an attack but it wasn't meant to.

Crew...:ok:

NudgingSteel
27th Jan 2007, 21:51
Didn't I see on these hallowed pages last year, that an actor from Coronation Street was seen watching the An225 depart from Manchester? Does this count? Can't remember who he is though, sorry!

waco
28th Jan 2007, 05:20
hi denham ppl

why not go for airline pilots and atc staff who still spot! there are quite a few and could make an interesting program?

aviate1138
28th Jan 2007, 08:33
Thank you PPRuNe Pop in part....
Unfortunately the public perception of aircraft spotters/enthusiasts is of some geek with a fake fur anorak, thick black NHS glasses, a thermos and a well thumbed copy of Ian Allan's "UK Aircraft Registrations" standing at the end of a runway all day crossing off entries in his book. I know this isn't always the case.

I once turned up at a fly-in with an aircraft with no visible registration marks - approved by the CAA, so not illegal. Swarms of reggie spotters, well at least 15, demanded to know the reg. Panels were opened, the canopy too. Frankly the apparent right of a spotter to gain access to a private hangar, ignoring no entry notices etc and then snagging aerials, pitots, airframes even, didn't endear me to some reggie geeks, admittedly not the majority by any means.
I would trash the concept frankly and go for Celeb Pilots instead, past and present. :)
Aviate1138

*Zwitter*
28th Jan 2007, 11:06
I hardly think Radio 4 is responsible for turning "complete dopes" into millionaires. Please dont tar me or my collegues with the same brush as you may some other media enterprises!

Agreed - R4 is about the only non-celebrity culture area of the media left.

good luck Denham

peterbuckstolemymeds
28th Jan 2007, 18:53
That was unwarrantedly discourteous of you, Heathrow Director. :hmm:
Good luck with your piece, Denham. I'm sure it will be most entertaining.
PB

sniper9652
28th Jan 2007, 21:23
David Jason
Martin Shaw

Drop The Dunlops
29th Jan 2007, 08:48
David Jason
Martin Shaw
I can see an idea developing for the ITV drama dept...

Two long-in-the-tooth detectives, one a hard-nosed 'do-it-my-own way' type character, and the other a 'by-the-book' quiet but clever problem solver... who both just happen to spend all their spare time at the aviation viewing park at MAN, radio and binoculars in hand.

Evanelpus
29th Jan 2007, 12:40
Wow, Del Boy and Doyle, what a title for a new show!

If you want 'ordinary' spotters, get yourself down to the park at the end of Myrtle Avenue any weekend when they are landing on 27L, they are there in abundance.....some of them are even quite knowledgable.

MATaxi
29th Jan 2007, 12:42
I can see an idea developing for the ITV drama dept...

Two long-in-the-tooth detectives, one a hard-nosed 'do-it-my-own way' type character, and the other a 'by-the-book' quiet but clever problem solver... who both just happen to spend all their spare time at the aviation viewing park at MAN, radio and binoculars in hand......do they see how many they can "cop"......sorry , thats a :mad: joke !!:O

DesignerChappie
29th Jan 2007, 12:58
Because spotters are all branded as freaks and geeks by the public (and media) finding a celeb version is not going to be easy. Certainly there are quite a few spotters and ex-spotters in the industry, (sir) Mike Bishop for one and there are at least two fairly senior guys in the CAA who are spotters, but this would not necessarily make them a good subject for the media. Even Radio 4 has to attract an audience and lets face it the're not going to pick me for Desert Island Discs because I'm not interesting enough to the audience. :{

I think DenhamPPL is trying to find someone that could make the programme more interesting to the general public rather than just spotters. Lets face it we would rip them to pieces over not knowing the difference between the aerial positions on different versions of Airbus. But the average Radio 4 listener is only interested in how much his ticket costs and does he peanuts or pretzel with his G & T. I've been a spotter since my mid-teens and my wife still can't believe I can derive any pleasure from writing aircraft numbers down. Yet she finds my database for my record collection perfectly acceptable.

Good luck with the programme, just try not to make us look like idiots, we can do that ourselves. ;)

Tom the Tenor
30th Jan 2007, 17:17
It is interesting to note that when the Czeck composer and conductor, Antonin Dvorak, lived in New York at then end of the 19th century he used to send some of his music students to Grand Central Station to note the serials of the arriving trains as he was very much a train spotter/enthusiast.

Now, James, report back to me at once if 0001 is on the platform and I will shoot down there at once!

No wonder the New World Symphony sounds so good - Dvorak must have had rich pickings in Grand Central! :cool:

Bigt
30th Jan 2007, 19:42
Is pop leg-end Gary Numan is a flyer?

gingernut
31st Jan 2007, 14:17
Pretty sure Tony "24 hour party people," Wilson, has an interest. Nice guy by all accounts to.

I've been known to spend a bit of time watching the planes, but I'm just a legend in my own mind.:)

scudpilot
31st Jan 2007, 14:35
Note BIGT's comments about Gary Numan being a flyer.
I live close to Blackbushe, and there is an "Urban legend" that he landed a Harvard on the A30?
All facts could be incorrect, just thought I would add my peice....