PDA

View Full Version : Initial full-flt. sim. tng on A-320: what is the most challenging maneuver or event?

Ignition Override
26th Jan 2007, 06:31
From a basic, practical perspective, is the most demanding area during an engine failure or is it dealing with multiple computer failures etc, or a combination computer/flight control failure, i.e. in alternate or direct law?

This company excludes and ignores useless memorization, trivia and theory (what a blessing). For example, the hydraulics chapter has NO list of what is powered by the green, blue or yellow systems.

Any general hints, other than knowing basic flows/procedures, call-outs, daily briefing guides and prioritization?

My first full-flight sim was tonight and the machine is easier to hand-fly than I expected. Off the topic but maybe the Ubisoft computer game "Forgotten Battles" (Spitfire, Hurri., P-51, LAGC, Me-109, Bf-110, P-38, Komet...) helped out a little.
I highly recommend this game, whether the Euro or Pacific version. :) The only keyboard button you ever need is the "escape" button. Just tell me that about Microsoft....

vapilot2004
26th Jan 2007, 08:04
With less than a dozen hours in the sim and despite worries about the stick and its' sundry laws, I have found that part of the FBW system to be very intuitive and hands down the most rewarding part of my transition from the wheel to 'the puter.' :ok:

My darkest moments thus far have been during simulated engine out sits that were devilishly 'augmented' by computer failures just after takeoff. (no surprise here) Other than these confidence crushing/competence indicating challenges, the rest has been all gravy for me - thus far.

Clandestino
26th Jan 2007, 08:13
I have my first abnormal session today, Itīs about flight control laws so Iīll write back in couple days with my impressions, as the sim progresses.

During normal sim, I had introduction to direct law and couple of V1 cuts. Engfail @TO was absolutely non-event (compared to ATR), even as we forgot to switch from FLEX TO to TOGA, RoC was ample. Plane behaves well in direct law, only amusing thing was re-learning how to use pitch trim wheel. Last time I was using one was on cessna 172 in 1999.

Good luck guys with your sims :ok:

agada
26th Jan 2007, 11:16
"...... we forgot to switch from FLEX TO to TOGA, RoC was ample"

Hi Clandestino. Guess the TOW was quite less. Don't forget to do that on a heavy one though!!:) At close to max RTOW, she's quite slugish in real life.

FlightDetent
26th Jan 2007, 11:22
For example, the hydraulics chapter has NO list of what is powered by the green, blue or yellow systems.

Not relevant to your question, but should you need a look there is a diagram in QRH, also a hydraulic power - F/CTL schematics.

I felt there was no "complicated" manoeuvre. The important and (tiresome on occasion) thing is to learn a proper system of troubleshooting malfunctions. MasterCaution - read, decide, share tasks. ECAM action, affected systems review, apu ON, ready for STS? NO! Norm. C/L, OEB, system/computer reset. Status. Summary if any. Decision: fuel, x-wind, MORA, possibility of failure propagating, time. Communicate: ATC+Cabin. FCOM 3 for in depth knowledge.

Nice example is RA fault followed by RA1+2 fault. Breeze to do properly, but miss a bit and things go pear shaped quickly.

FD.

Dualcouple
26th Jan 2007, 15:49
Off the top of my head, loss of green and yellow hydraulics was technically quite challenging due to minimal tailstrike margin, speeds and loss of normal braking and pitch trim involved. Correct and fluent use of QRH (delta vref, landing distance procedures etc) important during many failure cases.

Smoke drills were arduous as always with good leadership from LHS invaluable.

J.O.
27th Jan 2007, 18:21
Ignition Override:

You will probably find that the handling characteristics are fairly intuitive and easy to get a handle on. V1 engine failures are a fairly simple exercise but there are a couple of considerations to nail the technique. First of all, directional control is easy, you just apply rudder to maintain directional control and then once airborne, hold that initial pressure until the Beta target appears. Once it does, centre the Beta target with fine tuning of the rudder pressure but don't rush to set the trim, because at this point, pitch should become your primary concern to ensure proper climb performance. The pitch control can be a bit tricky in the initial stages of the engine out takeoff as the flight control laws change. The general technique is to set the pitch at the initial target (around 12 degrees) and then fine tune it once the climb stabilizes a bit. There is a tendency for the pitch attitude to increase after it's initially set when the controls go into normal law, so keep an eye on that. Also, once you've got the attitude set, relax your grip on the stick to avoid "stirring the pot", a common error for new pilots on the FBW. Once you've got a good handle on the pitch and rudder, you can get the rudder trim set (which takes a few seconds so be patient) and then get the autopilot on. The autopilot handles the engine out very well once the trim is properly set.

As for complex procedures, have a look at the QRH in the Emergency Procedures (section 1.00) and also the associated FCOM bits regarding Emergency Electrical Config, and dual hydraulic failures. The fact that Airbus has created multi-phased Summary Checklists for these procedures points to their complexity. They are a nice guide to handling these situations from the start of the failure up to the end of the flight. These are the most complex ECAM / QRH procedures and should be studied thoroughly and briefed in detail before attempting them in the sim. Dualcouple is right, green and yellow hydraulics is the most complex because you lose the most systems. Plan on a flapless landing with a high pitch angle, no reversers and no nosewheel steering (among other complications). Smoke/Avionics Smoke is another complex checklist, but it does lead you to the most likely causes if followed correctly.

You're fortunate in that you're learning the airplane at a time when there's a ton of operational experience and the biggest potential "gotchas" have already been used in the development of the training. Much better than a decade ago when most of us left the check ride with more questions than answers! Still, it does take a few months of line experience to go from "What's it doing now?" to "Look, it's doing it again!" (This is all tongue in cheek, because while it used to be said alot, it's not as much these days now that we really understand the Airbus logic.)

Enjoy the airplane!

Jeff

Ignition Override
29th Jan 2007, 05:48
J.O. and others-thanks.

Our briefing pages say that the desired pitch for single-engine is 12.5 degrees.

The strange thing is that we must use the QRM for any non-precision approaches, then brief the paper, glass displays.

J.O.
29th Jan 2007, 22:56
12.5 degrees is correct for the initial E/O pitch target. The best method is to hold that pitch until the SRS bar stabilizes and then follow its' pitch cues. BTW, there was a comment from someone about use of FLEX when you're heavy. If you are using FLEX, the performance calculation is predicated on maintaining the reduced thrust value throughout the single engine climb, so you don't have to go to TOGA. That said, if you are heavy, using TOGA will certainly add to your comfort level. Just be careful about quickly shoving the thrust levers up to TOGA, as it will add significantly to the amount of rudder required. Be ready for it with your heavy foot.

WRT to NPAs, is your company using the fully managed function for non-precision approaches?