PDA

View Full Version : BBMF on News 24

NURSE
25th Jan 2007, 22:28
Was nice to see the BBMF Dakota and lancaster on news 24 and hopefully to see the New colour scheme after april. Thought the reporter hadn't done his basic reasearch when he stated it was the only Lancaster in the UK!!!!!!

Runaway Gun
25th Jan 2007, 23:03
How many airworthy Lancasters are in the UK then?

Letsby Avenue
25th Jan 2007, 23:09
And how much does it cost the hard pressed defence budget to keep it flying?

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jan 2007, 23:11
How many airworthy Lancasters are in the UK then?

Loads. They store them in that secret air station underneath a mountain in Wales along with 2 dozen Vulcan's, a handful of Buccs and the 4 squadrons of TSR2's they did build.

Don't tell anyone though, its kind of a secret.

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jan 2007, 23:14

Not very much at all. They have quite a bit of sponsorship (http://www.bbmf.co.uk/support.html).

BTW, how much does it cost to keep all those battalions of infantry and troops of calvary in London, defending the capital against the Roundheads?

vecvechookattack
25th Jan 2007, 23:44
Thats a good point. Companies such as Rolls-Royce (Owned by BMW), Landrover (Owned by Ford), Breitling (Swiss) and all the other companies mentioned, all give thousands of pounds each year to provide spares, fuel and pay for the maintenance of these fine examples of military aircraft.

Talking Radalt
25th Jan 2007, 23:46
Yeah, go on, ground the airborne memorial to the 50,000 of Bomber Command.:rolleyes:

NURSE
26th Jan 2007, 03:23
i would strngly suspect the government that do that will be in a whole world of pain

Lyneham Lad
26th Jan 2007, 09:37
i would strngly suspect the government that do that will be in a whole world of pain

Somehow I doubt that. This country is afflicted by public lethargy, ignorance and a collective attention span of 5 seconds. :ugh:

oldbeefer
26th Jan 2007, 09:40
Sad thought that there were more Bomber Command aircrew killed in WW2 than there are uniformed personnel in today's RAF!

airborne_artist
26th Jan 2007, 10:04
uniformed personnel in today's RAF

There are more ATC spaceys than uniformed personnel in today's RAF :sad:

Almost_done
26th Jan 2007, 14:28
The RAF can't fill all the seats in Murrayfield. :bored:

TheOtherLeft
26th Jan 2007, 14:28
Thats a good point. Companies such as Rolls-Royce (Owned by BMW),.
A bit of pedantry, but the while the RR that makes cars (Rolls-Royce Motors) is owned by BMW, the RR plc that makes the aero-engines (and I imagine is the RR that contributes to BBMF etc) is not owned by BMW but is a UK stock market listed company in which quite a lot of us probably have shares!
TOL

JAG3
26th Jan 2007, 15:05
Is there just 2 airworthy Lancs with the other one in Canada.

Climebear
26th Jan 2007, 15:07

Given the state of English and Scottish rugby - why would we want to?

Dysonsphere
26th Jan 2007, 17:50
I see the get rid of the Red Arrows theme has reapeared this week

Faithless
26th Jan 2007, 19:55

The RAF can't fill the seats of a park bench at the mo!

Confucius
26th Jan 2007, 21:47
The crowd at murrayfield probably have better weapons than the armed forces, and are more motivated to use them.

Lyneham Lad
26th Jan 2007, 22:06
The crowd at murrayfield probably have better weapons than the armed forces, and are more motivated to use them.

Which is more than can be said for the English cricket team :ouch:

ZH875
26th Jan 2007, 22:19
Ahh, cricket, where Oz are rather good, England are :mad: crap, and Scotland is a Minor County.:)

Clear Right,Px Good!
26th Jan 2007, 22:58
Many apologies,

But I though that the original thread was about the BBMF. Nurse... Well said on more than one account, the Lancaster and all the other BBMF aircraft will allways look splendid, and any suggestions, or even thoughts that one day the BBMF should be scrutinised with expenditure in mind should be shelved in our minds at once.
We should never forget the sacrifices made by so many fine men, sacrifices that have allowed us the freedom that we enjoy now.

We owe it to these men to keep these aircraft flying, and it is a comforting thought that in some way the financial aspect is taken away from the govermental mind, through sponsorship and donation.

Hoooray the BBMF, keep up the good work!