PDA

View Full Version : Don't like flying!

Virginia
25th Jan 2007, 09:12
I haven't been flying very long but I already dislike it. I love the pax bit and my co-workers are generally nice...I just don't think the job itself is for me. I don't mind paying back my bond or anything. Going to give it another couple of months to make it 6 months since joining.

Did anyone get this when they first started flying? :\:sad::(

sinala1
25th Jan 2007, 09:20
Hi Virginia,
I strongly recommend you give it time before you throw it in. If its your first flying job, you are in the process of adjusting to what are very new surroundings for you - along with a new lifestyle and type of work. Not sure what kind of flying you are doing, but if it does involve spending nights away from home then this is an adjustment to your social and family life that can be quite difficult to make.

I strongly suggest you give it up until 1 year. By then, you will be confident on the aircraft types and in the environment, and then that way you can make a fully informed decision regarding your long term employment as a flight attendant :ok:

Happy Flying :)

lexxity
25th Jan 2007, 13:41
The best advice that I recieved when starting out in aviation was "it takes at least 6months to feel comfortable and a year to feel confident". You know what, it's true. I am ground staff for a British carrier and remember well feeling overwhelmed by it all. The a/c configs, the airport codes, the calls, the different codes for different gates, the different check in types, the shifts! Now I love it and I'm coming upto five years now. I would strongly advise you confide in someone more senior who can help you with the adjustment. They have been there too and will want to see you succeed. Good luck.

Lexx.

c_hostie
25th Jan 2007, 13:52
Hi Virginia, I felt exactly the same as you when I first started flying for a charter airline, I didn't even stay there for the first 6 months as I hated it so much and I thought that I would never be able to settle in to the job. But one of my best friends joined BA and told me how much she loved it and how different it was, so I gave it a go and have now been there for 4 months. I really enjoy it and it's totally different to the airline I used to work for. So my advice is to stick with what you're doing for a bit longer, or join another airline that may be better for you. :ok:

Dolley
25th Jan 2007, 13:53
Hi Virginia,

I know loads of people who didn't like the job in the beginning.
I don't know what you did before but it's a lot of new things to get used to...the new environment, the long hours, working with different people every day, snotty pax (on the down side, obviously most pax are actually quite nice!), not learning one new job but a few (different roles), the whole aviation industry...

All of those people who didn't like it in the beginning love it now. It took them between 6 months and a year though.
If it's worth it? You have to decide for yourself if you want to give it that long. If you absolutly hate t, it's probably better to move on if you don't mind the bond payment. If you just don't like t because it's different from what you expected it's probably worth to give it some time. You say you like the pax bit and your colleagues....can't be that bad then, can it?
Sounds to me that you just need time getting used to it all...but please make up your own mind and follow your instincts :-)

cavortingcheetah
25th Jan 2007, 14:05
:hmm:

Be of good cheer!
Not sure whether you're flight crew, cabin crew or what, but the bond issue presupposes that you fly? :hmm: 'The Bonded Trolley Dolly'? There's a quick title for gangster novel?
Anyway, that doesn't matter; it's actually the same in any job. It always takes six months to bed down and a year to feel comfortable. The trick is not to let the bloody first six months grind you down to the point where you heave it all in before you've had a chance to reap the rewards of your perseverance.
Fight crew, for example, usually have to work extremely hard on any new type of aircraft in the beginning, that is unless they're one of those really irritating whizz kids, and they sometimes have other problems of a rather more serious nature. Once they've settled down it all becomes a matter of speedy routine and hard pressure work such as setting up the cockpit in winter becomes so easy that it's usually done for the next sector before the aircraft is on chocks after the last.
It will surely all come right and you will find yourself saying almost exactly these words above to a newbie in the future. Well, perhaps you won't be able to put the point across with the same dexterous use of words and phrases that drip from this particular pen, few could!
Steady up old girl and stay the course! :D Oh yes, Good Luck!:)

Virginia
25th Jan 2007, 14:26
I'm cabin crew and my bond is £600 for a 6 months after probation finishes.

Thanks for all your kind words and advice. I'm not sure if I want to move airline (long haul does appeal to me) The airline I'm at is known for it's high turnover rate though.

I used to do office admin work, I miss flexi time etc already!

cavortingcheetah
25th Jan 2007, 14:35
:hmm:

You may find that your chances of a long haul carrier job are improved somewhat if you have a bit of a track record with a high turnover company.
It would demonstrate true grit?
Furthermore, as you must know, it is much easier to move from one job to another in the same field rather than either from a different field or from an unemployed position.:)

TheGorrilla
25th Jan 2007, 22:09
Remindes me of a Bob Marley song:

"Don't like flying.... I love it!"

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

sebby
26th Jan 2007, 02:32
I lasted just under 18 months in my first slying job,for the most part I hated it so I sought out for a new compay, which is difficult in Aus/ New Zealand. The grass was a little greener but I decided I had to make the most of it.

I love it for the most part now and looking back, it has all gone so quickly. Id suggest moving on after a year and the year will honestly fly by! (literally! :p )

:ok: Good Luck!

misshostie
26th Jan 2007, 07:39
Persist and you will succeed. If you really hate it after a year then leave. If its something you absolutely despise, leave because theres nothing worse than being unhappy in a job. People can see that even though u might have a smile on your dial!
If you are umming and aring, stick in there.....its a great lifestyle :O

Cabinstar
8th Feb 2007, 15:23
Even if you are having doubts about it now , dont worry because you have just started and its normal to find the adjustment difficult..... Whatever you do DONT quit unless you absolutely hate it, because if you do, your gonna spend alot of time wishing you had stayed.... I speak from personal experience and also from the experience of almost every ex-crew on earth... Being cabin crew is a rewarding and exiting career choice, ok maybe the money is not so good at first but the great crew you work with and diversity of every day makes it all worthwhile. If you dont like your airline stick with it until you find one that you know you will enjoy. And remember only 10% of all applicants actually get the job so obviously, you have something special to give to the job, I hope this helps and good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.:cool:

Virginia
11th Feb 2007, 21:56
Thanks for your comments :) I will stick at it for a bit longer.