PDA

View Full Version : Lands End Aerodrome-Major Polluter!

Tim Mills
25th Jan 2007, 07:05
Goodness, turn your back for a moment and the thread I was going to comment on has been shut! The one about 'Should we still be flying because of Global Warming'.

I was only going to say that I'm afraid I must have started the whole mess in the 70s when Lands End was run by dear old Viv Bellamy. I used to fly a gas guzzling Apache 235 to and from the Scilly Isles during the grockle season, usually two and a half return trips in the morning and the same the other way round late afternoon. Not to mention endless 'round the lighthouse' trips in the oldest and rattliest Cessna 172 I have ever met! And some instruction in a very nice Airtourer. So I'm not surprised Lands End areodrome takes it's place amongst the major polluters!

And it was great fun, which seems to be rather frowned on these days, though my grandchildren don't seem to notice.

However, I am now a confirmed sorter of tins and plastic from paper and cardboard to atone for my former profligasy, and even put them in the right bins!

peterperfect
25th Jan 2007, 10:20
Tim,
Hmm, why would my thread and one earlier in the day by another ppruner about the same prog. have both been locked ? It remains a beautiful place; a benefit to the planet.
Would have been a simple research error on behalf of the BBC I suppose.
pp

ZeBedie
25th Jan 2007, 10:44
Tim, you've got it wrong - the pilot doesn't do the polluting, it's the passengers.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
25th Jan 2007, 20:18
I was down there last year and had great pleasure in watching the Islanders
plodding in and out of there and the occasional Twin Otter and a very steady stream of visiting aircraft which included a group of micro lites one day which were doing a coastal tour and to cap it all a Royal Navy Merlin which did a very very low flyby at high speed

G-I-B

treadigraph
25th Jan 2007, 21:04
Where it all started for me - 1969, knee high to a tailwheel, quick whiz across to St Mary's and back in an Auster. :ok:

Pollution from light aeroplanes? Pah, last time I was down at Lands End there was a German steamer being pounded to scrap on the rocks by Sennen cove. THAT's polluting! As were the many four wheel drive gas guzzlers being squeezed around narrow Cornish lanes by the modern grockles.

Lyneham Lad
25th Jan 2007, 21:48
Cornish lanes by the modern grockles.

[Pedant Mode] correct terminology is 'emmet'. [/Pedant Mode]. ;)

Tim Mills
26th Jan 2007, 00:55
Tim,
Hmm, why would my thread and one earlier in the day by another ppruner about the same prog. have both been locked ? It remains a beautiful place; a benefit to the planet.
Would have been a simple research error on behalf of the BBC I suppose.
pp
I wondered that, which is why I had to open a new thread to make my facetious comment. I would have thought your original observation and reference to the BBC programme would have been worthy of some serious discussion on the original forum instead of the almost instant chop, or at least amalgamation with the other thread on the topic, also chopped.

treadigraph
26th Jan 2007, 07:33
LL, you'd think I'd know that having been born down there! "What is education coming to" obviously started many years ago. Still, one lives and learns...

kala87
26th Jan 2007, 14:16
Ah, Land's End Aerodrome. I've flown in there numerous times in the past 10 years, mainly in C182's. Polluting light aircraft? What about the many abandoned tin and copper mines around St.Just. Go back 120 years, and they would have been spewing arsenic and sulphur-bearing smoke all over the Cornish countryside (and over large areas of the rest of Cornwall and West Devon).

BOAC
27th Jan 2007, 07:50
Morning chaps/chapesses - duty 'after the Lord Mayor's Show sweeper' here.
Not sure which threads you refer to as 'closed' but a quick search forund a few alive and well in Jet Blast and a 'duplicate' in R&N closed.
Cannot help with the 'policy questions, but http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260814 may be what you seek?
As a 'forewarning' it may be appropriate to transfer this to JB depending on how it develops. At least it will be with 'family':)

Tim Mills
27th Jan 2007, 09:17
BOAC. I was trying to comment on peterperfect's post on Rumours and News ' BBC:Should I really give up flying' dated 25 Jan, and the other, on the same subject was by Wrggly Bob dated 24 Jan, referring to the same BBC 2 Programme. It seemed to me that the subject of air travel vis a vis global warming might lead to some informed comment before it became really boring, and I was surprised that only one comment was made, to the 24 Jan thread, before both were locked, and I wondered why they were closed so precipitously.

I accept that my original post on this thread was frivolous, but really, Land End aerodrome in the same league as the others quoted, and probably not the stuff of Rumour and News, but I was a little sad that quite an important subject had suddenly been tucked away in the Spectators forum.

Having said which, to be even more frivolous, I suppose the sight of Viv Bellamy's black Labrador doing a hopeful curve of persuit on the rattly Cessna on yet another grockle (or emmet) flight hoping to catch it before it managed actual flight, may have counted as spectator sport! But I would rather the Nostalgia forum really.

6chimes
27th Jan 2007, 10:24
Just a point of order, Not Grockles, but Hemmits!

Gulf4uk
27th Jan 2007, 10:25
HI

Think you guys should accept the fact that Any Aviation is now Public enemy number one as far as green Issues are concerned . Anyone who flys is bringing us closer to DOOM . I Was having a conversation Almost Argument with a member of the Local Green \FOE Lot here in FAB but he had to dash to catch his Flight so he Roared off down the A325 towards the M3 in his 4x4 says a lot that

TONY