PDA

View Full Version : India & Russia to Build 5th Gen Fighter

ORAC
24th Jan 2007, 14:26
India takes a big leap, to build stealth fighter jet

New Delhi: India is aiming to join the big league of avionic super powers in just about seven years, by developing a fifth-generation stealth fighter jet, which will match the top powers in the world........

According to sources, officials from the Defence Ministry, Indian Air Force and the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) have already prepared a blueprint for the stealth fighter jet, which will have a lethal mix of beyond-visual range combat capabilities, reduced radar tracking signature, super-maneuverability and supersonic cruising ability among others. The jet will be far advanced in comparison to fourth-generation fighters like MiG-29s, F-15 Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons, F\A-18 Hornets, Mirage-2000s and the like. The intermediate stage between them and the fifth-generation fighters is represented by Sukhoi-30MKIs, F/A-18 E/F Super Hornets, F-16F Desert Falcons, Eurofighter Typhoons and Rafales.

The most potent fighters in India's combat fleet at present are the Sukhoi-30MKI 'air dominance' fighters, being manufactured indigenously by HAL now under transfer of technology from Russia, which can be placed a little over fourth-generation fighters. The fifth-generation fighter, sources say, will be 50% to 100% superior to Sukhoi-30MKI in terms of "avionics, radius of turn, accuracy of weapon delivery and other combat capabilities".

India will collaborate with Russia in this multi-billion-dollar programme since it is yet to master the technology behind the manufacture of advanced fighter jets despite the ongoing indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft project. The decks were cleared for this project on Wednesday with New Delhi making the "final choice" on the matter and Moscow saying the work on signing contracts on the deal could begin soon.

Observing that Russia had started developing the warplane about three years ago, visiting Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Sergei B Ivanov said: "Some time back, India showed interest in joining this project. It took them (India) some time to scrutinise the various options. Now, India has informed us that a final choice has been made. We can (now) open up contractual work for Indian accession to the project," Ivanov told reporters at a joint press conference with his Indian counterpart A K Antony after signing four documents. Although interaction has begun now on the joint development and production of fifth generation fighter jet, the actual signing of agreements could take some more time.....

Russia had been hard-selling its fifth-generation fighter project to India for some years now since it desperately needs some infusion of funds in its programme touted to be a rival to the American F-35 Lighting-II Joint Strike Fighter project. The two main Russian aviation majors, MIG Corporation and Sukhoi Design Bureau, submitted their plans for joint development of the fifth-generation fighter with HAL in end-November.

"Both presented their concept papers and blueprints about the aircraft configuration, workshare in co-development and cost of development. India might make the choice of its partner public during Putin's visit," sources said.......

wessex19
25th Jan 2007, 01:16
80% of sewage in India is dumped untreated into their river system killing hundreds of thousands of people a year, I thought cleaning up their rivers would of been a bigger priority than a stealth fighter!! With a population of almost 1.2 billion, thats alot of "dumb bombs"!!!

BombayDuck
25th Jan 2007, 05:16
Ah right, I guess you don't have poor people in Oz?

Oh, what you *don't* have, is a neighbour who you've fought three and a half wars with (and is a hotbed for Al Qaeda AND gets gifts from Uncle Sam for its "contributions to the GOAT") while having another neighbuor with the world's largest army and more combat aircraft than you can shake a stick at.

Never mind the fact that you've elected not to link any sources that claim "thousands of people" die every year from untreated sewage.

This, is a military issues forum. Lets keep it that way, shall we?

PTT
25th Jan 2007, 07:16
Bombay - excellent response until the last sentence. First, this is a military aviation forum. Second, military issues do not sit in an ivory tower - they are affected by political, social and economic issues, such as those described (but uncorroborated) by wessex19.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
25th Jan 2007, 11:30
Also, I bet the Russians are glad that they don't have gobby tarts and Big Brother on their Television.

West Coast
25th Jan 2007, 23:33
One more feather in the cap for long term funding for the F22.
They have a boogeyman now, or should I say the boogeyman will have a kickass jet.

vecvechookattack
25th Jan 2007, 23:46
Is this the same company that make the Jaguar ?. If it is then this could be good news and could provide valuable work for british workers. Lets hope we can secure some much needed work and contracts for the UK.

BombayDuck
26th Jan 2007, 04:54
PTT - point, my apologies.

vecvec - Yes, HAL still builds Jags for the IAF (two seaters in upgraded DARIN-2 version) but why would the new fighter programme have any impact on British workers? HAL outsources very little, and production will probably be shared by HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.) and Sukhoi/Irkut.

r supwoods
26th Jan 2007, 07:53
80% of sewage in India is dumped untreated into their river system killing hundreds of thousands of people a year, I thought cleaning up their rivers would of been a bigger priority than a stealth fighter!! With a population of almost 1.2 billion, thats alot of "dumb bombs"!!!

Thats why the UK Government give India £1bn per year in Foreign Aid :ugh:

sikeano
26th Jan 2007, 12:09
I reckon Wessex 19 is jealous downunder :cool:

Akashs
31st Jul 2007, 18:09
r supwoods, got any proof of that, or was that just hot air? :}:=:zzz:

Archimedes
31st Jul 2007, 20:16
r supwoods is nearly right - he's mistaken the five-yearly figure for the annual one; both were publicised fairly recently, and the £1 billion figure naturally recieved most media attention.

See the DFID webpage for India (http://www.dfid.gov.uk/countries/asia/india.asp) One trusts that DFID have a reasonable idea of how much aid they're giving (even allowing for the fact that this is DFID we're talking about...)

Biggus
3rd Aug 2007, 17:17
BombayDuck

I don't know if it is factually correct, or the original source of the data, but 2 minutes on google brought up the following.....

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,493033,00.html

For what it is worth, I am not being judgemental!

sikeano
5th Aug 2007, 08:30
I Agree Biggus it will take more than two mins to be Judgemental about a country the size of India, Unless you are Wessex 19 :yuk:
The link you provided was intresting though, :ok:

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 06:32
$8.63-billion advanced fighter aircraft project with Russia put on ice (http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/8-63-billion-advanced-fighter-aircraft-project-with-russia-put-on-ice-118042000029_1.html)

The proposal for India and Russia to jointly develop an advanced fighter — the eponymous Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) — has been formally buried. Business Standard has learnt that National Security Advisor Ajit Doval conveyed the decision to a Russian ministerial delegation at a “Defence Acquisition Meeting” in end-February.

Doval and Defence Secretary Sanjay Mitra, who attended the meeting, asked the Russians to proceed alone with developing their fifth-generation fighter. They said India might, possibly, join the project later, or buy the fully developed fighter outright, after it entered service with the Russian Air Force......

artschool
21st Apr 2018, 06:45
I always thought that the sewage problem was because of a cultural preference for outdoor pooing?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/india-rejects-the-toilet-how-government-sanitation-drives-have-failed-to-sway-those-who-believe-10466041.html

Brat
21st Apr 2018, 11:14
The rather less than stellar progress of the Russian FGFA and numbers flying does rather contrast with the numbers of F-22 and F-35’s in the air.

That, and continuing murmurs of a possibly more cost effective resurrection of an improved updated F-22 production in a US/Japanese collaboration. Certainly an alternative that could prove cheaper than their goal of producing one alone, and increased aggressive Chinese expansion in the area.

While the US would be unlikely to do it on their own despite a growing perception it may have been terminated a tad early, the Japanese may well see the excellent synergy between the F-22 and F-35’s they are buying and fund the project.

The F-22 is a reasonably mature weapon system that was built with future improvements in mind.

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 11:45
A vain punt by LM for the Japanese coproduction contract. the USAF is already looking ahead to the next generation fighter - the Penetrating Counter Air (PCA) fighter with the range and performance to take on China.

with the F-35 in series production it is unlikely that LM would also get the next major contract - particularly with their performance with the F-35 - and Boeing is hungry for something to replace the F-15/F-18.

Boeing's Newest Next-Gen Fighter Concept | Ares (http://aviationweek.com/blog/meet-boeings-latest-next-gen-fighter-concept)

Similarly the USN is also ramping up for the next generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F/A-XX_Program

Why would the Japanese instead buy into a hybrid of a 40 year design which is proving astronomically expense to upgrade and a 30 year old design bomb truck which is dismally failing to perform and proving so expense to build that even putting the F-22 back into production is starting to look attractive?

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me......

glad rag
21st Apr 2018, 11:45
"synergy"

Unfortunate use of "that" noun.

Brat
21st Apr 2018, 14:15
Air Force Air Combat Command’s Gen. Hawk Carlisle told reporters his big dream would be to see the line of the world’s preeminent air-to air fighter restarted.

In his words,
“The F-35 is orders of magnitude better than the F-22 as an electronic warfare enabled sensor-rich aircraft. We already are working synergy between F-22s and fourth generation aircraft to provide greater fidelity of the information shaping air combat operations. With the F-22 and F-35 combination and the folding in of on-orbit information and surveillance systems, we will be able to generate more synergy across the fleet.”

MPN11
21st Apr 2018, 14:26
I long for a return to the days when we at MoD (and our cousins) used to write in English!

Brat
21st Apr 2018, 17:50
Those were the days...

atakacs
21st Apr 2018, 17:57
Wow... 10 years +
Quiet the thread resurrection...

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 18:35
Just goes to show it’s never too late to cancel a programme....

Brat
23rd Apr 2018, 14:04
Or to resurrect one...

B1, White Swan come to mind.

jolihokistix
30th Apr 2018, 07:07
Interesting comparison of US and Russian air forces here, if you have not read it. No guarantees as to accuracy. Please do not shoot the messenger! Thank you.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/does-russia-apos-air-force-100002600.html

DANbudgieman
30th Apr 2018, 12:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessex19 https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/261273-india-russia-build-5th-gen-fighter.html#post3088057)

Thats why the UK Government give India £1bn per year in Foreign Aid

Can't we save a few bob and just send them a couple of million shovels and and a supply of bog roll? That way they don't have any excuse for not having basic latrines and clean a***s. This would also allow them to bury the odd wala that expires due to the (alleged) impure water supply. (I am aware that the local custom is cremation of the dead but sending fire lighters would do nothing to help them dig their karzies.)..

Wannabe Flyer
1st May 2018, 10:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessex19 https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/261273-india-russia-build-5th-gen-fighter.html#post3088057)

Thats why the UK Government give India £1bn per year in Foreign Aid

Can't we save a few bob and just send them a couple of million shovels and and a supply of bog roll? That way they don't have any excuse for not having basic latrines and clean a***s. This would also allow them to bury the odd wala that expires due to the (alleged) impure water supply. (I am aware that the local custom is cremation of the dead but sending fire lighters would do nothing to help them dig their karzies.)..

Considering you know that 78% of the 1.4 Billion Cremate you would also know that 99.9999% do not use Bog roll & wash their asses. Assuming water cleans better than paper leaving no skids.....I think the issue lies with a better supply of soap to wash those hands after the cleanse........

Save a tree use water.

KenV
2nd May 2018, 18:24
Considering you know that 78% of the 1.4 Billion Cremate you would also know that 99.9999% do not use Bog roll & wash their asses. Assuming water cleans better than paper leaving no skids.....I think the issue lies with a better supply of soap to wash those hands after the cleanse........ Now this is some really serious thread drift!! We went from discussing 5th gen fighters to discussing toilet paper and skid marks. Amazing!!