PDA

View Full Version : EDI evacuated?

Jamesie
24th Jan 2007, 12:00
Just heard Edinburgh Airport has been evacuated, only aircraft on approach being allowed to land. Anyone know why?

rab-k
24th Jan 2007, 12:21
Perhaps (hopefully!) a case of 'careless pax leaves bag unattended', or something similar. Nowt on Beeb nooz online (yet).

Bagheera
24th Jan 2007, 12:38
Just back from there. rab-k is right in his supposings. Rucksack left in a bin. Aircraft allowed to land but remain off stand.

CHIVILCOY
24th Jan 2007, 13:26
Rucksack left in a bin. Aircraft allowed to land but remain off stand.

Caused by the one bag rule I wonder?

Security rule causing a security scare.

mjtibbs
24th Jan 2007, 13:35
last news update was that the army bomb squad are enroute.

pubsman
24th Jan 2007, 13:46
Latest from Scottish News on BBC Website at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6294589.stm

brain fade
24th Jan 2007, 15:58
They should evacuate EDI permanantly. The place is a complete pain-in-the-ass.

You can totally rely on them to make max fuss out of min event.:mad:

Whitehatter
24th Jan 2007, 16:10
They should evacuate EDI permanantly. The place is a complete pain-in-the-ass.

You can totally rely on them to make max fuss out of min event.:mad:
would you be saying that if it went bang with you stood next to it?

Any airport has to treat bags that way. Hopefully what's left after the controlled explosion can be used to identify the owner and send them the bloody bill for this bunfight. It's not like people are not told about not leaving their knickers and duty free unattended, is it?:ugh::ugh:

brain fade
24th Jan 2007, 16:24
Whitehatter

I'm telling you. Max aggro at all times. This happens all the time at airports everywhere.

At CDG they do a tiny controlled explosion. Local area evacuated of course, but not the whole bloody airport shut for hours, flights diverted etc.

You think what you like.

'Major security incident'.......................MY ARSE!:mad:

Scottie
24th Jan 2007, 16:28
But then CDG is five to six times as big.

Doh.:ugh:

cavortingcheetah
24th Jan 2007, 16:31
:hmm:

Happened at Orly a while ago, a rucksack left beside the conveyor belt.
Baggage hall was evacuated, bomb disposal wallah arrived, short little funny fellow lacking a few fingers. (QED). Don't know what he did but the whole process took less than an hour before all were on their way again.
No trumpets, fanfares or blasts of self importance. Simple clean cut Gallic efficient pragmatism.:ooh:

brain fade
24th Jan 2007, 17:26
Scottie

Your point is...................?

EDI evacuated THE WHOLE building. Ramp offices, crewroooms, everything. A/c held, diverted or stopped on the ground at other airports.

For one unattended bag?

Typical over reaction.

At a BIG airport like CDG, it's UNDER reaction by comparison, as cavorting cheetah said.

No fuss- no drama.

ayrprox
24th Jan 2007, 18:18
but brainfade,... and i'm just playing devil's advocate here.., what if it had been a real device and it had gone off before the bomb squad had arrived and they hadn't evacuated? would you then be on here criticising them for not evacuating everybody?? yes it probably was just a poorly discarded bag, but did you know whether it was the only bag?, no so a search has to be made, and yes, it probably was a pain in the arse but c'est la vie. i for one will never criticise someone for looking out for their customer.

VictorCharlieTen
24th Jan 2007, 18:56
...I left my Operations area when another member of my staff told me that someone from security had just popped his head in to say "Can you make your way to the assembly point please".
- I, along with 3 others sat outside for a half hour at the assembly point whilst staff working for BA went about their business.
Even when asked to leave the airside environment protesting there was still people inside security told us to leave immediately.

According to the others I left with, - BA staff remained airside until the rest of the world cleared off.

There was no alarms to summon you outside and if there had been anything sinister going on we would've been dead before the first security person even reached us.

Having listened and worked with the goons at Edinburgh from the top down I wholeheartedly agree the place should be evacuated permanently. :D

eastern wiseguy
24th Jan 2007, 20:42
Scottie
EDI evacuated THE WHOLE building. Ramp offices, crewroooms, everything. A/c held, diverted or stopped on the ground at other airports.
For one unattended bag?
Typical over reaction.
At a BIG airport like CDG, it's UNDER reaction by comparison, as cavorting cheetah said.
No fuss- no drama.
Or if the old trick of MOVING people TOWARDS a SECONDARY device was being employed a la Omagh....:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

CLEAR4T/O
24th Jan 2007, 20:46
Sounds like you were right in the thick of the action 'brain fade'.... knew exactly what the situation was and trained up for this scenario!!!
Should email the Airport Duty Manager and get this airfield closed for good...:rolleyes:

egbt
24th Jan 2007, 20:53
Scottie
For one unattended bag?
Typical over reaction.
No fuss- no drama.
Have you seen what even 1 Lb of HE can do? A bag could easily hold 30 Lbs or more, yes people could be moved to a secondary, but you need to be a long way from this sort of threat. Ether do nothing or do it properly.

Port Strobe
24th Jan 2007, 20:54
I wholeheartedly agree the place should be evacuated permanently

Why stop at just the airport? :E

VictorCharlieTen
24th Jan 2007, 22:09
:D
- It seemed v.serious however I couldn't believe there were people going about their day like nothing was happening whilst I had to plead with a policeman to leave the staff car park to go home. - I was going to say to them... "Do you know there is people still in the terminal who know they shouldn't be there and your concerned with me leaving to go home after my finishing time".

I think after chilling this evening the folks at EDI did everything they should've today however I'm a big fan of getting rid of all litter bins etc where people are free to leave or discard things in what should in essence be a secure area. The moment you step foot inside an airport terminal these days you should be limited to what you can do. Its a sad fact of life today but I'd much rather that than something actually happening. There will be another event at an airport sooner or later but at least we all are doing what we can to help one another.

:ok:

Skipness One Echo
25th Jan 2007, 09:58
:D
I'm a big fan of getting rid of all litter bins etc where people are free to leave or discard things in what should in essence be a secure area. The moment you step foot inside an airport terminal these days you should be limited to what you can do. Its a sad fact of life today but I'd much rather that than something actually happening.
:ok:
Rubbish!
Banning bins just makes the place look untidy. If a terrorist wants to blow up an airport terminal these days then he's more likely to be wearing the device when it goes off. Islamic fundamentalists are more interesed in death and paradise than working hard to make a go of life, but then some are very desperate so I don't presume to debate their motives here. The point is that removing bins is a classic way of showing that "we have taken steps to avoid a bomb going off" except that those steps are not relevant in the world we live in today.
However there is only so much we can do in a free society, which is why there is little increased security on the Tube after 7 / 7. The terrorists win when they make us afraid of litter bins and wary of flying.
If the whole Luftwaffe couldn't bring us to our knees, let's not soil our underwear at some losers who have been brainwashed into hate hate hate.
We ARE better than that.