PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop---- Storage space??

bishop99
24th Jan 2007, 08:57
MOrning all,
Thanks for all the replies to the "buying a camara in the US", mucho appreciated. :ok:
I bought a laptop the other day :} , it said it had 80GD hard drive space on it....... but when i look at the C: & D: drives capacities they say roughly 35GB each, which in my maths book comes to 70GB, leaving me 10GB short? :confused:
Have i been done out of 10GB or is it hidden somewhere for something?
Thanks again.
Bishop99

Keef
24th Jan 2007, 09:10
I suspect the other 10GB is in a "hidden partition" with the recovery software, Windows reinstall, etc on it.

A bit is also "lost" in the arithmetic.
"Buying", a GB is 1024 ^ whatever.
"Selling", a GB is 1000 ^ whatever.

ZH875
24th Jan 2007, 10:03
Also remember that a formatted disk will have a smaller capacity than an unformatted disk, as the format will use space.

Gonzo
25th Jan 2007, 17:38
Yep, it's probably due to the formatted capacity is less than the un-formatted capacity.

For example, I have two internal drives:
250GB gives 232GB usable space.
160GB gives 149GB usable space.

I don't tend to partition my drives that much, does each partition have its own 'wasted' space?

BOFH
25th Jan 2007, 19:32
does each partition have its own 'wasted' space?
It's minuscule :)

By the way, bishop, what did you get, and for how much/little, if you bought it there?

BOFH

11K-AVML
16th Feb 2007, 22:50
I suspect the other 10GB is in a "hidden partition" with the recovery software, Windows reinstall, etc on it.If you're interested, you can have a look at these as well:
In Windows XP this is how you can do it:

On the desktop, right-click on My Computer.
Select "Manage" from the drop down menu.

The Computer Management window will open.
Looking through the components listed on the left hand side, under "Storage" there will be the component "Disk Management"
Click on that and in a few seconds the right hand side will show you all of your disks and partitions.

I don't suggest you change anything though!