PDA

View Full Version : Night flying hours - v - Day flying hours

Head Turner
24th Jan 2007, 08:30
The ratio of my hours is that for every hour flown at night I have flown 29 daytime hours. Is this an industry average?

jayteeto
24th Jan 2007, 08:50
Depends on the role. I have a total of 5500 hours at a ratio of 3.31 day to every one night.
In current police role, I have 1100 hours of which a ratio of 1.2 NIGHT to every 1 day. I feel like a vampire bat who only comes out at night......:ok:

Disguise Delimit
25th Jan 2007, 05:14
12,000 day for 800 night, ratio of 15:1:sad:

tomotomp
25th Jan 2007, 08:45
8.81:1:ok:

Unhinged
25th Jan 2007, 13:02
15:1 :cool:

Sailor Vee
25th Jan 2007, 13:05
12:1

Mind you as a 'pinger' in the Navy the ratio was a hell of a lot closer, about 2:1!!

Head Turner
25th Jan 2007, 13:23
So my paltry 29:1 is well below average but the job is related to more daytime flying and the majority of night hours have been during the winter months with all the nasty conditions that nature can throw at us.

SASless
25th Jan 2007, 13:32
When one logs "instrument" at night.....do you also log "Night" for the entire flight or just the visual parts for takeoff and landing?

Likewise when flying in a crew served aircraft...does the co-pilot log "pilot in command" for that time he is the sole manipulator of the controls?

How many pilots can log Pilot in command time for the same flight?

What is the maximum number of pilots that can log PIC simultaneously?

Bladestrike
25th Jan 2007, 14:20
When one logs "instrument" at night.....do you also log "Night" for the entire flight or just the visual parts for takeoff and landing?
Likewise when flying in a crew served aircraft...does the co-pilot log "pilot in command" for that time he is the sole manipulator of the controls?
How many pilots can log Pilot in command time for the same flight?
What is the maximum number of pilots that can log PIC simultaneously?

-If the flight is at night, regardless if it's IFR or VFR I log it as night.

-The pilot flying is not neccessarily the PIC, and shouldn't log it as such unless he is designated PIC. The PIC is ultimately responsible for the operation of the aircraft. There is that PICUS program so you may log PIC time under the supervision of the designated PIC.

-I'm not sure, I guess you could switch rolls during the flight if it was briefed as such. Personally I never heard of that and don't rightly know,

-As a rule, a maximum of 7 pilots can log PIC simultaneously, assuming of course that the aircraft has 7 sets of controls...

Just kidding. Only one, but you may want to check out the details of the PICUS deal. It allows guys to get PIC time for contract requirements, etc. even if they are not yet qualified to act as Captain. I don't know the exact details.

Blind Bob
25th Jan 2007, 14:28
57:1, that's HEMS work for you.:uhoh:

SASless
25th Jan 2007, 15:36
That is HEMS work in the UK.....not OZ and the USA.

Ya'll can't/won't fly in the dark. Much safer but certainly decreases the practicality of the service.

SASless
25th Jan 2007, 15:41
Does a TRE/IRE log PIC for those flights he is doing a check?

If he rides in a jump seat....with no access to controls....can he log PIC?

We do not have a P1 US catagory in the FAA system. We break it down a bit differently.

One is P1 when manipulating the controls as a copilot. Otherwise, it is copilot time. The PIC (Captain) logs P1 for the entire flight.

chester2005
25th Jan 2007, 17:11
I was told that up to 4 people can log PIC time under the FAA system.

The pilot who is flying in VMC under the hood can log PIC as he is sole manipulator of the controls.

The person who is rated and current who is the "safety pilot" looking out for traffic can log PIC as he is required for safe flight.

The CFI in the back instructing the pilot under the hood can log PIC.

The examiner who is examining the instructors ability can log PIC.

Isn't the FAA system miles apart from JAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where even if a pilot wants to fly under the hood with a safety pilot to keep his IFR skills up to scratch , the pilot doing so can't log the instrument time
(unless he holds a JAR IR) and the safety pilot can log nothing!!

Chester:ok:

N Arslow
25th Jan 2007, 22:06
4:1

On the other hand that includes my FW time which is mostly fun. Take away that and it is more like 3.5:1

Ex-Mil and police like Jay above. It explains an addiction to caffeine...

r44driver
26th Jan 2007, 02:11
13:1
Thanks to MPT ops.

MPT
26th Jan 2007, 06:54
Hmmm, might be time for a change I reckon!

8.5:1 total, but in the last 12 months 50.1% was in the dark:eek: , so 1:1 lately.

MPT:zzz:

jayteeto
26th Jan 2007, 11:41
My coffee is under control, I have cut down to 10 cups on a 12 hour shift :eek: