PDA

View Full Version : Strategic Lateral Offsets IE: SLOP

slatch
24th Jan 2007, 05:35
Just wondering, does Cathay have a specific policy regarding Strategic Lateral Offsets? If they allow it how many Pilots use it regularly?

Captain TOGA
24th Jan 2007, 11:50
We are allowed to use it...

404 Titan
24th Jan 2007, 18:48
I use it regularly going through Philippine and Indonesian airspace to Australia. Russian airspace going to Europe. Indian Airspace going to the Middle East and the Indian Ocean going to South Africa and any other airpace I think it is warranted.

Five Green
25th Jan 2007, 05:45
Just wondering, does Cathay have a specific policy regarding Strategic Lateral Offsets? If they allow it how many Pilots use it regularly?

72% of Pilots polled claim to have used SLOP. Of those 72%, 55% used it regularily with no side affects and the remaining 45% was divided evenly between occasionally cramping and a compulsion to sack their helper. Err sorry wrong slop !!

Jes kiddin, it would seem most do. I follow 404's example always!! Once you have seen all the aircraft passing directly overhead and underneath you see the logic. Also had many occurences where a sudden climb/descent was called for by ATC, followed by traffic passing within a few minutes. Too close for my liking as GPS is far too accurate !

Cheers

FG

Sqwak7700
25th Jan 2007, 07:26
I agree. I use it regularly over India and especially arround the Calcutta and Myanmar region.
A lot of these third world countries are flying brand new Airbus and Boeing products with really low RNP numbers. Not to mention, because of archaic airspace restrictions and lack of radar, you almost always end up flying the exact route (ie, no shortcuts). Therefore, your chances of meeting up with someone are even higher.
I also use it in Chinese airspace where shortcuts are rare and there is plenty of traffic.
This is definetely a growing problem with the increase of traffic and progress of technology. Lets just say, there are more cars on the highway, but we are building the narrower roads. :ugh:

Mr. Bloggs
25th Jan 2007, 11:28
Lets say an Airbus at FL380 and 744 at FL360 at 10 miles behind. The 744 will have several minute of being directly underneath. What will happen if the Airbus is pushed down for whatever reason i.e. depressurization, stall, minimum speed problems, etc. Will the Airbus comply with TCAS Instructions? Will the 744 comply with TCAS instructions? Will you have time to get out of the way if they don’t? Which Airline is flying the Airbus and which airline is flying the 744? Do you trust them?

If you miss by and inch or you miss by a mile, it makes little difference as long as you miss. Give yourself that extra margin of safety, fly offsets and never fly directly over or under another aircraft even under radar control. In RVSM airspace, you may not have time to get out of someone's space if it all goes wrong.

But, what are the chances of that happening?